PDA

View Full Version : When and how do you use the mixed grip on Deadlift?

brianfox77
04-11-12, 5:08 pm
I started reading a few months ago about how to increase my grip strength and I came across some articles about the "mixed grip". Everything I read said that I was doing it wrong. I have always had my non-dominant hand facing away from me and my dominant hand facing towards me, and I used the mixed grip for every rep no matter the weight.

Now, I've been using the normal grip, with 8 fingers on one side of the bar and two thumbs on the other, up to 315lbs. Once I go above 315lbs, I change to the mixed grip with my dominant hand facing away from me. It felt awkward at first because I was so used to "my" way, but I can tell a difference in my grip strength.

Just curious on what some of the other PL'ers use on here?

BigChrisF
04-11-12, 5:54 pm
I have done all my competition deadlifts a mixed grip with my dominant hand facing me and my off hand facing out. I haven't been able to pull heavy enough for grip to be a problem. I don't really believe there is a right or wrong hand to have facing in/out. It's like interlacing your fingers. One way will feel natural and the other just feels off. I don't believe it will make a difference on how much weight you can hold.

When training your lifts I do believe in alternating your over under grip in order to prevent muscle imbalances from building up. I really don't like using my goofy grip, so I just pull the majority of my reps with double overhand until the weight is too great for me to use without it slipping out of my hands.