PDA

View Full Version : Powerbuilding Advice Needed

rbowman91
04-12-12, 8:15 pm
Hey bros,

I'm coming off 16 weeks of HRT after Rage's contest, and also 4 weeks following that of high volume 8-12 rep bodybuilding training (pulled a split off animalpak.com). However, I'm noticing a serious plateau and this just isn't doing it for me right now. I was thinking of trying out Powerbuilding after reading some articles on the site. I'm more into bodybuilding than powerlifting, but I feel like I'd like to give powerbuilding a run to shake things up and build some serious strength. I was wondering if any of you bros had any routine suggestions? I found one on bodybuilding.com but the guy isn't with Animal and I prefer routines from this site generally. The guys at ABC have what I want, so I try to do what they do.

Any routine suggestions? I can do a 4 day split with my work schedule. Also, am I safe to just blast right into it? Or is that something that I should be careful with since I've always done high volume bodybuilding? Thanks a ton fellas.

Big Byrd
04-12-12, 8:39 pm
Hey bros,

I'm coming off 16 weeks of HRT after Rage's contest, and also 4 weeks following that of high volume 8-12 rep bodybuilding training (pulled a split off animalpak.com). However, I'm noticing a serious plateau and this just isn't doing it for me right now. I was thinking of trying out Powerbuilding after reading some articles on the site. I'm more into bodybuilding than powerlifting, but I feel like I'd like to give powerbuilding a run to shake things up and build some serious strength. I was wondering if any of you bros had any routine suggestions? I found one on bodybuilding.com but the guy isn't with Animal and I prefer routines from this site generally. The guys at ABC have what I want, so I try to do what they do.

Any routine suggestions? I can do a 4 day split with my work schedule. Also, am I safe to just blast right into it? Or is that something that I should be careful with since I've always done high volume bodybuilding? Thanks a ton fellas.

5/3/1 is a very simple and brutally effective program. Rep ranges change every week and ultimate work set on main lift is a rep max with differing %. Jim Wendler, look into it. 4 days/wk

Of course im pretty fond of my new routine too. 3 days/wk
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36425-POWERBUILDING-A-Byrd-s-Eye-View&p=1212396&viewfull=1#post1212396

rbowman91
04-12-12, 8:42 pm
5/3/1 is a very simple and brutally effective program. Rep ranges change every week and ultimate work set on main lift is a rep max with differing %. Jim Wendler, look into it. 4 days/wk

Of course im pretty fond of my new routine too. 3 days/wk
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36425-POWERBUILDING-A-Byrd-s-Eye-View&p=1212396&viewfull=1#post1212396

Awesome bro, looking at them now. Seriously appreciate it. Your no-hand squat in the Cage was incredible btw. That kind of thing is the reason I want to check out powerbuilding. Thanks again bro.

Big Byrd
04-12-12, 9:10 pm
Its just old fashioned hard work for size and strength. No gimmicks just results. Just do it all, high reps low reps heavy weight pump weight and everything in between.

As fred hatfield used to say: everything works, but everything doesnt work all the time.

Big Byrd
04-12-12, 9:11 pm
Awesome bro, looking at them now. Seriously appreciate it. Your no-hand squat in the Cage was incredible btw. That kind of thing is the reason I want to check out powerbuilding. Thanks again bro.

And thanks, that squat was a lot of fun to do so glad people enjoyed watching it

rbowman91
04-12-12, 9:33 pm
Its just old fashioned hard work for size and strength. No gimmicks just results. Just do it all, high reps low reps heavy weight pump weight and everything in between.

As fred hatfield used to say: everything works, but everything doesnt work all the time.

Wait, you do both high reps and low reps heavy weight? I wasn't sure if you powerlifted all the time or switched it up between bodybuilding as well. I've always been afraid to switch off my bodybuilding routines for powerlifting, because I didn' know if that would continue my size gains or not. But if switching is a good idea then I'm going to try both routines you suggested. I blasted back for 2 hours the other day at max intensity (rep range 8-12) and felt absolutely no soreness the next day. I'm thinking this may be what I need, though I'm a little hesitant towards training that is geared towards strength more than size. But I'm assuming I should keep eating big during this?

rbowman91
04-12-12, 9:56 pm
Clarification: I'd like to keep making size gains during this if I can. Not sure how this works, growth-wise. All I've ever done is bodybuild.

Big Byrd
04-12-12, 11:07 pm
Clarification: I'd like to keep making size gains during this if I can. Not sure how this works, growth-wise. All I've ever done is bodybuild.

depends on who you ask i suppose. Ive always kept a core compound movement as the first exercise and work up heavy, usually 5-8 range; then a secondary lift in the 8-12 range; then one or two assistance movements for 12-15, sometime 20-25 reps.

ex.
chest
flat bench
db incline bench
db or cable flys
dips and/or pressdowns

and then there are times when i just go in and do 5 sets of 10 on 4-5 lifts with moderate weight. If i feel good i go heavy, cause thats what i do, if not i pump out on low stress movements. Heavy is relative even at 20 reps, its heavy for getting 20 reps, its no cake walk, last few reps are struggles

Chia
04-13-12, 1:38 am
OK so I finally figured out what HRT is. How were the results?

And here I thought this forum just had a lot of menopausal women, LOL.

(Sorry nothing to contribute).

rbowman91
04-13-12, 9:36 am
Okay solid, Thank you Byrd. Sounds like you swap your reps up a lot. I'm looking to do that too, to keep things fresh. I just don't want to approach powerbuilding like a novice and wind up getting hurt from being stupid. I've read of some people doing their heavy squats/deadlifts at sets of 7x3 with max weight. Do you think thats something worth trying as well, or is that a bad idea?

In regards to the question from Chia, I was very satisfied with HRT. It was an incredibly physically taxing program on my body, but my physique responded really well to it and I put on 15 lbs of size in 12 weeks with no visible body fat increase. I'm sure there was some, but you can't tell by looking. Rage set up a quality diet for me throughout the whole time. It's more of an off-season mass gaining program. It works on a cut though too. My training partner dropped 17 lbs of fat and got shredded. (I bulked, while he cut).

Chia
04-15-12, 11:56 pm
Thanks, I'll be looking for something to switch things up as summer rolls around (I typically train more PL style). I'll check out that program.

Big Byrd
04-17-12, 12:57 am
Okay solid, Thank you Byrd. Sounds like you swap your reps up a lot. I'm looking to do that too, to keep things fresh. I just don't want to approach powerbuilding like a novice and wind up getting hurt from being stupid. I've read of some people doing their heavy squats/deadlifts at sets of 7x3 with max weight. Do you think thats something worth trying as well, or is that a bad idea?

In regards to the question from Chia, I was very satisfied with HRT. It was an incredibly physically taxing program on my body, but my physique responded really well to it and I put on 15 lbs of size in 12 weeks with no visible body fat increase. I'm sure there was some, but you can't tell by looking. Rage set up a quality diet for me throughout the whole time. It's more of an off-season mass gaining program. It works on a cut though too. My training partner dropped 17 lbs of fat and got shredded. (I bulked, while he cut).

If you can do 7sets of 3 with it, its not max weight. If they are adjusting weights so that all 7 of those sets only allow for 3 reps, no i dont think thats a good a idea. Westside BB does speed work with 7-9 sets of 3 but with only 50-60% of max. Hell, the Russians only use about 75% most of the time and dont go over 80% very often. I would need to know more about the training to give a complete answer, but based on the info u presented, no that does not sound like something worth trying.