PDA

View Full Version : maximum strength in shortest time?

mitchconnors
04-15-12, 6:18 pm
Good evening everyone! I hope you are all having a great day.

I have a question in regards to making the most strength gains in a short amount of time. I was on powerliftingwatch.com and was looking for an event in my area and I happened across one on May 26th.

I have never competed before and I do not expect to win, I am more interested in seeing how a power lifting event works and have some fun. I would also like to lift to my fullest potential.

My question is how to build some maximal strength gains in the short period of time I have.

I had been using Mark Rippetoe's starting strength model for a while, took a hiatus and am finishing up HRT.

I have also been reading Kilgore and Rippetoe's book called practical programming and I read about the Texas Method.

For those who are not familiar, the starting strength model is a linear periodization style routine 3 days a week, in an ABA, BAB format. The routine looks like this:

A: Squat, 3x5 warmup with increased weight, 3x5 same weight
Bench Press " same as above "
Dead lift, 3x5 warmup with increased weight, 1x5 for 5rm

B: Squat " Same as A routine "
Standing Military Press, 3x5 warmup with 3x5 working
Bent Over Row, " Same as above "

The Texas Model, is similar but is an ABC routine. A is 5x5 working, B is a deload with decreased percentages of weight, and C is maximal load working in a 1, 2, or 3rm with enough sets to create large homeostatic change through the body.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these models and which one is most likely to increase my bench, dead, and squat in the shortest amount of time.

My 1rms in each of the contested lifts are as follows: squat-375, bench-275, dead-405. I would like to bring these numbers up a bit prior to the competition.

Thank you!

Eric

TigerAce01
04-15-12, 6:55 pm
If you want to compete on May 26th, you won't be building too much strength before then, but you can make yourself weaker. I would just find a simple plan, preferably one you've used before, stick with it, then compete.

The most important things to remember for your first meet are as follows:

1) Pay your meet/federation fees.
2) Know your openers, and start light.
3) Pack a bag with everything you are going to need (including food), triple check it so you don't have to stress.
4) Show up, and lift!

-Ace

mitchconnors
04-15-12, 11:29 pm
Hey man I really appreciate thr advice. I'll use it amd come comp day, i will keep you updated!!