PDA

View Full Version : Ego lifts?

Carrnage
04-22-12, 12:08 am
Hey I really want to see your guy's feedback/thoughts on why YOU care so much about your lifts. Meaning the amount of weight you use, I notice guys have goals of getting stronger and stronger.....but for what? What reason? Self fulfillment? I mean women don't care about how much you lift, so it has to be self fulfillment right?

I know, people will attack me for this, but I really want to see what other reasons besides self fulfillment, I mean most guys I see structure there program around strength/power goals but hardly make any progress which in my opinion is very very sad, and if you trying to get stronger with weight training and your not in the military or fighting of some sort then what is your reason? Self defense? Confidence? You must see a certain weight move up and down just to make you feel good? If that is the reason.....good luck with life I guess?

Let the sensitive attack me for making this thread, and let the intelligent make legit responses.

mcbeast
04-22-12, 1:57 am
Carrnage, you really got some nerve.

I will keep my response brief, so I can let the masses put there 2cents in as well..

The question should be, why wouldn't one want to be strong? Starting back from the beggining of man, only the strong survived. The ones who were physically capable of hunting, moving large objects, surviving the harshest enviroments etc. Look at the majority of males from Finland,Polan,Iceland, etc. Most of them are naturally fucking strong. Why? Because your body is forced to adapt to the enviroment you are in, or you fucking die.

Now, fast forward a few thousand years. I will say there are many out there who have a "specific reason" to be strong. Firefighters,Law Enforcement, Military, Laborworkers etc. Then there is your average Joe who sits a computer desk and hacks at a keyboard all day. Why does he want to be strong? Strength is a confidence builder. Strong mind, strong body. Strength is also applicable to real world situations that anyone could be caught in.
Performance > Physique.

I will take being 5'7 247 pounds, with my strength any day over being a weak 170 pound guy with a 6 pack & killer bicep peak.

mcbeast
04-22-12, 2:09 am
Also, where do you get ego from? I think bodybuilders have the biggest egos ever. What's funny is in real world situations they get put to shame by performance athletes. So your saying you bodybuild so you can impress women? Well, good luck in life for YOU, I guess.

Damn, and your signature? People use all that "mumbo jumbo" to work on weak areas. I agree you should be at a certain level of strength before you use boards,chains,bands etc but they have there place.

Stovall
04-22-12, 4:39 am
Self fulfillment? Let me ask you this, what is your purpose walking into a gym and lifting weights at all? If you choose to be a body builder or power lifter it is for self fulfillment and bettering yourself. And for a body builder to feel good he must see a certain difference in the mirror, correct? Like a power lifter sees his max lift going up.
By the way, your signature is something I would see an amateur use. Chains are mumbo jumbo? Have you ever met Branch Warren? Noticed a picture of him doing dips with chains around his neck? I'm also sure Franco Columbo or Stan Efferding could give you a "legit response". Good luck to you and wish you the best.

Bruiser
04-22-12, 9:50 am
Hey I really want to see your guy's feedback/thoughts on why YOU care so much about your lifts. Meaning the amount of weight you use, I notice guys have goals of getting stronger and stronger.....but for what? What reason? Self fulfillment? I mean women don't care about how much you lift, so it has to be self fulfillment right?

I know, people will attack me for this, but I really want to see what other reasons besides self fulfillment, I mean most guys I see structure there program around strength/power goals but hardly make any progress which in my opinion is very very sad, and if you trying to get stronger with weight training and your not in the military or fighting of some sort then what is your reason? Self defense? Confidence? You must see a certain weight move up and down just to make you feel good? If that is the reason.....good luck with life I guess?

Let the sensitive attack me for making this thread, and let the intelligent make legit responses.

If you think strength training is such a waste, then why did you set strength goals for the year and brag about how you're gonna deadlift 500x20?

All you care about is starting arguments. Since you got back from being banned, all you do is post threads in order to get other people to argue with each other because you're too afraid to do it yourself anymore. You're nothing but a drama queen and you need to stop this crap.

Bruiser
04-22-12, 9:54 am
Also, where do you get ego from? I think bodybuilders have the biggest egos ever. What's funny is in real world situations they get put to shame by performance athletes. So your saying you bodybuild so you can impress women? Well, good luck in life for YOU, I guess.

Damn, and your signature? People use all that "mumbo jumbo" to work on weak areas. I agree you should be at a certain level of strength before you use boards,chains,bands etc but they have there place.

Great point about performance athletes and BBs. A perfect example is the YouTube video of Stan Efferding training strongman with our own Higamonster. Even though Stan is a great powerlifter also, Grant puts him to shame. And now absolutely no offense to our big man (you know I love ya Higa! Lol) but Higa's not exactly a physique model. But look what that badass son of a bitch can do! I'll take Higa's size and strength over a guy like Frank McGrath's physique any day!

TigerAce01
04-22-12, 10:40 am
"That's right, I don't care how big you are, if you aren't strong you're a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story." - Jim Wendler

...that's why.

-Ace

Bruiser
04-22-12, 11:09 am
"That's right, I don't care how big you are, if you aren't strong you're a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story." - Jim Wendler

...that's why.

-Ace

Well said Ace!

zubda345
04-22-12, 12:25 pm
I think I should NOT post in here...

I am on the read... Keep it posted if ya can....

Go Away
04-22-12, 12:46 pm
should be renamed "Ego Post"

FiremanDan
04-22-12, 1:14 pm

Because my lifestyle requires it. I'm in the fire service and it is a physically punishing job at times. You have to have the ability to call on everything that you have physically and mentally to achieve and objective. It could be pulling a hose line through a dark/smokey house, lifting a heavy patient on a medical call, etc. But beyond that I do it for health. Strength training in general is incredibly beneficial to overall health along with cardio. I don't think about numbers because they relative. One of the best quotes I ever heard was "If the bar is still moving there is not enough weight on it."

JasonG
04-22-12, 1:25 pm
I think everyone cares about their lifts. Maybe not to the point of tossing around weights at any means necessary, but even bodybuilders look for progression. I think you do too Carnage. Remember your first journey here and the weights you posted causing controversy? http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?34269-Carnage-s-plan-of-attack-blueprints&highlight= I'm not sure what your trying to get at here. If it's bouncing the bar off your chest while a spotter is practically curling up the weight for you on rep one then I see where you are coming from. If not please elaborate.

Solid Dreams
04-22-12, 1:59 pm

It's kinda sad that you have to preface it with that last sentence, because you know that what you're doing is simply trolling and you're just trying to have some sort of proof of "no i'm not, theyre just sissymen!"

But on to topic: I think Derek Poundstone would disagree with this. He seems like the most down to earth, humble dude and he's obviously working towards heavier and heavier weights. HIGA, Seath, Ben Rice, all those guys are massively strong guys, and if you ask them why, I'm sure it's not going to be "Ego." You get a rush competing with other people, it's simply built into the human nature. So poopooing the idea of "lifting for strength" seems sort of...sissy.

greek91
04-22-12, 2:13 pm
Hey I really want to see your guy's feedback/thoughts on why YOU care so much about your mass. Meaning how much you weigh, I notice guys have goals of getting bigger and bigger.....but for what? What reason? Self fulfillment? I mean women don't care about how big you are, so it has to be self fulfillment right?

I know, people will attack me for this, but I really want to see what other reasons besides self fulfillment, I mean most guys I see structure there program around size/shape goals but hardly make any progress which in my opinion is very very sad, and if you trying to get bigger with weight training and your not in a BB competition of some sort then what is your reason? Self defense? Confidence? You must see a certain weight on a scale move up and down just to make you feel good? If that is the reason.....good luck with life I guess?

Let the sensitive attack me for making this thread, and let the intelligent make legit responses

zubda345
04-22-12, 2:56 pm
I am posting in a neutral way...

All I've heard is people say LEAVE THE EGO AT THE DOOR STEP! on here many many people have said me this...

Whenever I have asked or told that I want to lift heavy or I need tips on increasing my numbers I have always been told that weight I am lifting dosen't matter...

At the same time lifting heavy, being more strong is also important cause size follows strength.... I am not lifting heavy but I am only lifting heavy for me... I know for most of the guys 180lbs-225lbs won't be shit which I think is my current max bench on normal bars...

I just wanna say that now Y most of the people are not going with what they used to say me "LEAVE THE AT THE DOOR STEP!" "THIS SPORT AIN'T FOR YOU IF YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE EGO OF LIFTING HEAVY!" "THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING A 100 REP BARBELL CURLS WITHOUT WEIGHT!" (that last was said when I said that one must use weight that his body will resist and feel work done against it).

SlimJim
04-22-12, 3:52 pm
I was trained from the age of 8 years old in the martial arts. I was raised as a defender of those weaker than myself, and as a protector of those I love. I lift because if the situation ever arose where I could save someone's life, but was too weak to help them, I could never forgive myself. I would know that I could have trained harder, I could have done more in my past to improve my ability to help that person. This is why I train. Having a strong grip and powerful legs could one day mean the difference between life or death for my children or my wife. A constant path of self improvement where grueling training now means years of confidence in my ability to provide safety and happiness for my family? Sign me up.
I will not rest.

Appollonian
04-22-12, 5:17 pm
Carnage why do you make posts like this? As someone has already done, people can ask the same question of a bodybuilder. Why do you care what other people are doing in the gym as if it directly effects you? Sure I get upset at people curling in the squat rack or what not, an I will post it in my thread, but I'm not going to attack a large section of the board from something I personally don't like.

I'm honestly asking because I view this as a place to share views and opinions and to build eachother up. I would never come in here with the express intent of upsetting someone else.

Cellardweller
04-22-12, 5:17 pm
"the day you start thinking you're better than someone else, you arenít. The day you start thinking your superior, hang it up. The day you start looking down on another because he's got a fancy degree or because you think he's just another fatass is the day you're lost. Punish the fucking iron. Not the kid next to you"

The reason I started lifting in my younger days was mostly because I was a fat kid who moved approx every 3 years and had little to no friends depending on what time of my life you look at. Yep, I was picked on some. New kid, fat ass, glasses = target. Lifting gave me self confidence, self esteem. I built myself up and quit. I started back in the gym 3 years ago because I became a fat ass again. I was disgusted with myself. Now I'm stronger than ever at 39 years old. Honestly, I have had a stall in my progress due to injuries and real life. I'm getting back on track just now. Why do I want to be stronger? Because I still rely on myself. It's how I grew up. I want to be able to keep up with my kids and grandkids. I don't want to be some old geezer with a bad back from years of neglect. I am an ER nurse. Having size and strength helps my job. Like Fireman Dan, I sometimes have to lift people and in the ER sometimes wrestle with them. Sometimes I just have to walk into a drunk/ high patient's room and they start cooperating.

Why do you lift Carnage? You can't ask the question without answering it yourself.

Cellardweller
04-22-12, 6:01 pm
I also have to add that there is a certain exhileration associated with making a big lift. It feels great to accomplish a goal and break a personal record/ best. I'm sure that feeling doubles in a meet. I've never competed before but would love to.

Sprint
04-22-12, 7:03 pm
Probably a fairly interesting, albeit very personal question in the OP somewhere, that I think has been posted before, quite a while ago.

Along the lines of "What motivates you?"

I think it may have been Machine who asked something similar to if you were trapped on a desert island, would you still train, with nobody watching and nobody else to see the results.

That sparked an interesting, and I think quite constructive conversation/debate, & those who wished to, allowed others to see what made them tick.

This thread doesn't quite manage that, so whatever the intentions of the OP...

...thread closed?

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:24 pm
Because my lifestyle requires it. I'm in the fire service and it is a physically punishing job at times. You have to have the ability to call on everything that you have physically and mentally to achieve and objective. It could be pulling a hose line through a dark/smokey house, lifting a heavy patient on a medical call, etc. But beyond that I do it for health. Strength training in general is incredibly beneficial to overall health along with cardio. I don't think about numbers because they relative. One of the best quotes I ever heard was "If the bar is still moving there is not enough weight on it."

Now thats a reason!

Good post!

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:24 pm
I am posting in a neutral way...

All I've heard is people say LEAVE THE EGO AT THE DOOR STEP! on here many many people have said me this...

Whenever I have asked or told that I want to lift heavy or I need tips on increasing my numbers I have always been told that weight I am lifting dosen't matter...

At the same time lifting heavy, being more strong is also important cause size follows strength.... I am not lifting heavy but I am only lifting heavy for me... I know for most of the guys 180lbs-225lbs won't be shit which I think is my current max bench on normal bars...

I just wanna say that now Y most of the people are not going with what they used to say me "LEAVE THE AT THE DOOR STEP!" "THIS SPORT AIN'T FOR YOU IF YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE EGO OF LIFTING HEAVY!" "THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING A 100 REP BARBELL CURLS WITHOUT WEIGHT!" (that last was said when I said that one must use weight that his body will resist and feel work done against it).

Very good post Z!

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:27 pm
I also have to add that there is a certain exhileration associated with making a big lift. It feels great to accomplish a goal and break a personal record/ best. I'm sure that feeling doubles in a meet. I've never competed before but would love to.

So basically the feeling of a accomplished goal is your cause, more so on the line of self fulfillment, which is NOT bad thing dammit! lol

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:29 pm
It's kinda sad that you have to preface it with that last sentence, because you know that what you're doing is simply trolling and you're just trying to have some sort of proof of "no i'm not, theyre just sissymen!"

But on to topic: I think Derek Poundstone would disagree with this. He seems like the most down to earth, humble dude and he's obviously working towards heavier and heavier weights. HIGA, Seath, Ben Rice, all those guys are massively strong guys, and if you ask them why, I'm sure it's not going to be "Ego." You get a rush competing with other people, it's simply built into the human nature. So poopooing the idea of "lifting for strength" seems sort of...sissy.

I would like to know Derek Poundstone's reason on why he does what he does, and how he keeps his motivation aswell, that man is a monster, I have huge respect for him! Along with other strongmen/powerlifters!

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:31 pm
If you think strength training is such a waste, then why did you set strength goals for the year and brag about how you're gonna deadlift 500x20?

All you care about is starting arguments. Since you got back from being banned, all you do is post threads in order to get other people to argue with each other because you're too afraid to do it yourself anymore. You're nothing but a drama queen and you need to stop this crap.

We humans, say alot of things, but only accomplish maybe 10 percent of it in our lifetime.

And...I don't know what to say? I was just asking for opinions, thats all?

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:33 pm

I will keep my response brief, so I can let the masses put there 2cents in as well..

The question should be, why wouldn't one want to be strong? Starting back from the beggining of man, only the strong survived. The ones who were physically capable of hunting, moving large objects, surviving the harshest enviroments etc. Look at the majority of males from Finland,Polan,Iceland, etc. Most of them are naturally fucking strong. Why? Because your body is forced to adapt to the enviroment you are in, or you fucking die.

Now, fast forward a few thousand years. I will say there are many out there who have a "specific reason" to be strong. Firefighters,Law Enforcement, Military, Laborworkers etc. Then there is your average Joe who sits a computer desk and hacks at a keyboard all day. Why does he want to be strong? Strength is a confidence builder. Strong mind, strong body. Strength is also applicable to real world situations that anyone could be caught in.
Performance > Physique.

I will take being 5'7 247 pounds, with my strength any day over being a weak 170 pound guy with a 6 pack & killer bicep peak.

I like that first paragraph, and I was thinking that would be 90 percent of the reason why people train for strength.

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:41 pm
Self fulfillment? Let me ask you this, what is your purpose walking into a gym and lifting weights at all? If you choose to be a body builder or power lifter it is for self fulfillment and bettering yourself. And for a body builder to feel good he must see a certain difference in the mirror, correct? Like a power lifter sees his max lift going up.
By the way, your signature is something I would see an amateur use. Chains are mumbo jumbo? Have you ever met Branch Warren? Noticed a picture of him doing dips with chains around his neck? I'm also sure Franco Columbo or Stan Efferding could give you a "legit response". Good luck to you and wish you the best.

I feel my reason for bodybuilding was for self fulfillment, it was just the accomplishment of a goal feeling that I loved, which seems to be the obvious reason why people get in this in the first place! But I soon realized, being a strong man doesn't mean you have to be physically strong, its mentally, the ones that can pull any women to their side, the ones that make other guys into "followers", a man that people look up to just from his words, most physically strong men I see have none of that going on, most I see settle for less.

And my sig is from a badass but very funny dude, he makes some hilarious remarks to people.

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:47 pm
I think everyone cares about their lifts. Maybe not to the point of tossing around weights at any means necessary, but even bodybuilders look for progression. I think you do too Carnage. Remember your first journey here and the weights you posted causing controversy? http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?34269-Carnage-s-plan-of-attack-blueprints&highlight= I'm not sure what your trying to get at here. If it's bouncing the bar off your chest while a spotter is practically curling up the weight for you on rep one then I see where you are coming from. If not please elaborate.

Im talking about guys who center their lives around building a "huge squat, bench, deadlift", the guys who have huge pot belly's, that gives everyone a bad stare via eye contact, the guy that settles for less in life just for the sake of lifting high numbers.

You know whos strong?

Will Smith
Michael Jordan
Albert Einstein

Just to name a couple...

Carrnage
04-22-12, 7:56 pm
Oh and getting mad over someone on the internet is pointless, the more you go off topic the more your stressing yourself out, if calling me out or calling me a name makes you think you are getting me mad or something, think again. All I want is opinions / reasons on this topic, which I feel is a eye opener for why most of you guys are in the gym in the first place, sort of like what Michael Jordan before his first retirement, he simply loved what he did via self-fulfillment, and when he was asked but his close friends and family why he is doing this, he realized / dreamed / visualized and retired! Then going over a similar process the man came back better than ever, much more wiser, and was much better when he realized why he was doing what he did in the first place, which led to improving his game mentally and physically down the road.

This is all im asking, its all to make YOU a better human being, and I was a little tipsy last night so I understand the way I wrote the original post looked very immature / trollishness.

N. Motta
04-22-12, 8:06 pm

...that's why.

-Ace

I was going to look up that exact quote.

I'm also in the fire service.

Like Dan said, when it comes down to it, my life, my partners lives and a potential victims life is on the line, I don't give a fuck about the shape of my muscle bellies. Or about leanness. Or about fucking striations. I care about getting the job done. Making sure my brothers go back home to their wives and kids. And I do the same.

How's that for self fulfillment?????

I don't mind risking getting any points for this, I've had enough. You are a fucking cancer to this place carnage. You try and disguise your trolling bullshit, as thought provoking "discussions." You need to take your self absorbed, all knowing, condescending ego elsewhere.

ATLAS64
04-22-12, 8:28 pm
I am pretty sure Michael Jordan cheated on his wife...so he is no longer strong lol. Clint Eastwood is strong.

Carrnage
04-22-12, 8:34 pm
I was going to look up that exact quote.

I'm also in the fire service.

Like Dan said, when it comes down to it, my life, my partners lives and a potential victims life is on the line, I don't give a fuck about the shape of my muscle bellies. Or about leanness. Or about fucking striations. I care about getting the job done. Making sure my brothers go back home to their wives and kids. And I do the same.

How's that for self fulfillment?????

I don't mind risking getting any points for this, I've had enough. You are a fucking cancer to this place carnage. You try and disguise your trolling bullshit, as thought provoking "discussions." You need to take your self absorbed, all knowing, condescending ego elsewhere.

Having a reason like saving others lives is a great reason.

AND SELF FULFILLMENT ISNT BAD!!!!!! Why would you do something that makes you feel bad?

And you guys are taking this the wrong way and making me look like a bad guy or something.

How am I self absorbed? Everything I do is to benefit you guys, but I guess the way I type makes it seem like im a know it all? But honestly, when do I ever "Make you guys" do something? I dont! I only give opinions / facts / advice, which is fair game on any boards. I have a condescending ego? Everything I do is to help you guys achieve higher levels in life, the way I type on these boards is somewhat in a cocky way I know, but someone with some decent intelligence would realize that someone on these boards like me is obviously here to help, not to start arguments or whatever, I don't waste my time like that. Notice how I don't fight back when you guys call me out? Its not benefiting me in anyone to troll on any boards.

The more you go off topic, the worse any thread becomes.

Carrnage
04-22-12, 8:34 pm
I am pretty sure Michael Jordan cheated on his wife...so he is no longer strong lol. Clint Eastwood is strong.

Amen!

LOL!!

msktyshha
04-22-12, 9:18 pm

Performance > Physique.

Great post bro

greatkeen
04-23-12, 2:40 am
so Carnage r u trying to say lifting 'Progressively Heavier' weights is not necessary for building a better body?

let me explain:

during my early yrs i would lift the traditional muscle mag style, 5-6 days a week, 16-18 sets a body part, multiple exercises etc etc...and strangely i made some decent gains too, i now like to attribute those to the newbie gains ;-)

but as learned more of BB, the top of list ways to gain muscle quick...was 'Progressive Overload' and 'Frequency'.

these 2 factors i found very very much common among various trainers etc. so over the years i revamped my workouts around these 02 factors... reducing volume per session (# of sets), increasing frequency (hitting a body part twice in 7 day span) and focusing on progressive over load...(by this i mean increasing the weight or reps from last workout).

Again.. i am no strong guy.. don't got no pretty numbers to brag about...shit i don't do regular flat bench press....only incline or decline...that too ain't big by any standards...but try to add in a kg or 2 each week or increase by 1 rep or what ever...

now coming back to your post Carnage... i know there is more then 1 way to skin the cat...as in many around still do mag style workout of 18+ workout sets and are able to build a better physique... but is this way or the former one....any better then the other?? or does it purely comes down to your body type & preference?

i don't know if this rant even makes any sense...or you just wanted to know reasons people lift heavy for???

and people dont hate the guy...hate ful replies also increases the threads popularity giving it undue stars lol...simply dont post...i like to ignore.

Big Wides
04-23-12, 5:59 am
plain and simple is I like lifting heavy shit and the challenge it brings. I don't care if I never compete again, as long as I can lift heavy then I'm a happy guy.

Also, keep it civil in here let's keep the dick measuring to a minimum

zubda345
04-23-12, 8:20 am
also, keep it civil in here let's keep the dick measuring to a minimum

awesome!

Aggression
04-23-12, 9:25 am
Why do anything? Why breathe? Why eat? Why live?

Mr. Dead
04-23-12, 11:46 am

This...

Beowulf
04-23-12, 12:28 pm

I think you answered your own question. If not, then remember that intelligent threads have a greater likelihood of yielding intelligent responses.

rbowman91
04-23-12, 1:59 pm
Yo bros, whats with the hostility?

I don't like this whole bodybuilding vs. powerlifting thing right here. Personally, I am more into bodybuilding, but I have just as much respect for my cousin powerlifters. It's just two different ways to move weights. We all have something unique that drives us. For some, its moving heavy ass weights. For others, its sculpting a contest physique. Either way, we're all iron warriors and both take a very hardcore approach to excell at.

Even though I'm more into bodybuilding, my favorite event the Arnold expo (aside from The Cage of course) is watching the deadlift competitions, rather than the actual bodybuilding show. It's not my competition, but I have so much respect for the guys and gals up there who are pulling 600+ lbs. It blows me away.

Plus, the Cage has a solid mix of both strongmen and bodybuilders, and we don't see them bitching at each other about which method makes more sense. I've gotten great bodybuilding advice from Rage, and rock solid power lifting advice from Naturalguy. Two different techniques, but both have improved my game.

Carrnage
04-23-12, 3:39 pm

Obviously, but I feel if you want to achieve anything at a greater level, you must know exactly why your doing it.

Carrnage
04-23-12, 3:39 pm
I think you answered your own question. If not, then remember that intelligent threads have a greater likelihood of yielding intelligent responses.

lol

Carrnage
04-23-12, 3:40 pm
Yo bros, whats with the hostility?

I don't like this whole bodybuilding vs. powerlifting thing right here. Personally, I am more into bodybuilding, but I have just as much respect for my cousin powerlifters. It's just two different ways to move weights. We all have something unique that drives us. For some, its moving heavy ass weights. For others, its sculpting a contest physique. Either way, we're all iron warriors and both take a very hardcore approach to excell at.

Even though I'm more into bodybuilding, my favorite event the Arnold expo (aside from The Cage of course) is watching the deadlift competitions, rather than the actual bodybuilding show. It's not my competition, but I have so much respect for the guys and gals up there who are pulling 600+ lbs. It blows me away.

Plus, the Cage has a solid mix of both strongmen and bodybuilders, and we don't see them bitching at each other about which method makes more sense. I've gotten great bodybuilding advice from Rage, and rock solid power lifting advice from Naturalguy. Two different techniques, but both have improved my game.

There ya go!

U Mad Brah?
04-24-12, 4:53 pm
why do anything in life brahs... brah pops taught tis young brah tat if you do anythin always do it for teh lulz brahs... carnage represents by bringing mad lulz to teh forvm brahonies...

Cstlfx
04-24-12, 11:00 pm
Obviously, but I feel if you want to achieve anything at a greater level, you must know exactly why your doing it.

For some of us, we dont. It's just what we feel the urge to do. Whether it be genetics or environmental impact since birth, we've wanted to be stronger. If you dont have that urge in your gut to get better (get stronger, run faster, remember more and think faster, etc) with no specific reason, then it will be difficult for you to understand.

Tiger
04-25-12, 10:55 am
How about knowing there are others out there who can't lift, or do what they want to do.

I know someone who has just lost their ability to follow their passion of art due to some serious health issues. She's an artist who can no longer draw.

How about those that have passed on?

We all want to be bigger and stronger. We all want to be as healthy as possible. Bodybuilder or power lifter.

Be the best you can be - because you never know when it'll all be over.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 1:12 pm

...that's why.

-Ace

Thats bullshit, bbing and powerlifting are two different sports, and one is not better than the other. A lot of guys want strength over physique, and that's totally OK, but I am opposite of a lot of guys on here, I'd never trade in my physique for size, because that's what I want. Jim Wendler always says shit like that, but no wonder, he's got to sell what he's got, size, but he's an ugly mother fucker, and you couldn't pay me to look like him. I've been both bigger and smaller, and I prefer the latter, I'm proud of my abs.

If you start listening to what other people say about YOUR training and goals, you are missing the point of an individual sport entirely, and if you prefer a leaner build over a thicker one, your entitled to that as much as Jim Wendler is to build what he wants, so shame on him for trying to take that away from people, and shame on you, mr. tiger ace, for using the selfish quotes of others in an attempt to prove and unprovable point.

Jim Wendler once said that anyone under 200 lbs is female. The finest men I have ever known were in the United States Marine Corps, and the body that defends this country is lean and unshapely, pure endurance, and very rarely over 200 lbs. Any 170 lbs man from the 1st Marine Division is twice the man of Jim Wendler. Anyone that thinks otherwise is too deep in this sport, and I challenge you to give up weight training and visit your local recruiter. You'll find out what being a man is all about, and the circumference of your bicep or how much you pull isn't going to have anything to do with it.

It's an INDIVIDUAL sport, never let anybody take that away from you.

Noob Saibot
04-25-12, 1:27 pm
Thats bullshit, bbing and powerlifting are two different sports, and one is not better than the other. A lot of guys want strength over physique, and that's totally OK, but I am opposite of a lot of guys on here, I'd never trade in my physique for size, because that's what I want. Jim Wendler always says shit like that, but no wonder, he's got to sell what he's got, size, but he's an ugly mother fucker, and you couldn't pay me to look like him. I've been both bigger and smaller, and I prefer the latter, I'm proud of my abs.

If you start listening to what other people say about YOUR training and goals, you are missing the point of an individual sport entirely, and if you prefer a leaner build over a thicker one, your entitled to that as much as Jim Wendler is to build what he wants, so shame on him for trying to take that away from people, and shame on you, mr. tiger ace, for using the selfish quotes of others in an attempt to prove and unprovable point.

Jim Wendler once said that anyone under 200 lbs is female. The finest men I have ever known were in the United States Marine Corps, and the body that defends this country is lean and unshapely, pure endurance, and very rarely over 200 lbs. Any 170 lbs man from the 1st Marine Division is twice the man of Jim Wendler. Anyone that thinks otherwise is too deep in this sport, and I challenge you to give up weight training and visit your local recruiter. You'll find out what being a man is all about, and the circumference of your bicep or how much you pull isn't going to have anything to do with it.

Awesome post.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 1:36 pm
Awesome post.

haha, well at least someone likes it. I'm expecting to get flamed for it.

Cstlfx
04-25-12, 3:19 pm
haha, well at least someone likes it. I'm expecting to get flamed for it.

Jim likes to say shit like that to be funny. He doesnt necessarily believe it 100%, just likes making fun. Or course people are going to quote his crazy comments, not regular stuff he says, cause most of it is funny.

TigerAce01
04-25-12, 3:35 pm

If you want to be childish and tell me to "visit my recruiter", learn a little more about someone before you attack them. I "visited my recruiter" a few years ago, and my father served 27 years. Enough said on that point.

I enjoyed the quote thoroughly, humorous as it was, as well as the rest of the article from which it is taken. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read it, or simply ignore it...especially if it wasn't even aimed at you, but instead a description of the person who wrote and quoted it.

And the opening post seemed to be a question as to our personal opinion. The "unprovable point" you mention will shift from person to person, so with that "selfish quote" I proved my own standing and grounds for being the way I am...seems quite "provable" to me. I didn't attack you, anyone, or even make a reference to another's opinion, so don't "shame on me" like a child. I am entitled to think what I want to think, give my opinion and explanation of why I do something, and you have the same...but you do not have the right to personally attack me when there is no base for your actions.

-Ace

U Mad Brah?
04-25-12, 4:33 pm
why so srs brahs... we all have different reasons for lifting brahs... just answer to urself brahs... lift hard and take a multi brahs...

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 4:58 pm
If you want to be childish and tell me to "visit my recruiter", learn a little more about someone before you attack them. I "visited my recruiter" a few years ago, and my father served 27 years. Enough said on that point.

I enjoyed the quote thoroughly, humorous as it was, as well as the rest of the article from which it is taken. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read it, or simply ignore it...especially if it wasn't even aimed at you, but instead a description of the person who wrote and quoted it.

And the opening post seemed to be a question as to our personal opinion. The "unprovable point" you mention will shift from person to person, so with that "selfish quote" I proved my own standing and grounds for being the way I am...seems quite "provable" to me. I didn't attack you, anyone, or even make a reference to another's opinion, so don't "shame on me" like a child. I am entitled to think what I want to think, give my opinion and explanation of why I do something, and you have the same...but you do not have the right to personally attack me when there is no base for your actions.

-Ace

wtf are you talking about? I think you missed my point entirely, so shame on you!

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 5:05 pm
And the opening post seemed to be a question as to our personal opinion. The "unprovable point" you mention will shift from person to person, so with that "selfish quote" I proved my own standing and grounds for being the way I am...seems quite "provable" to me.
-Ace

BERRRR (incorrect answer buzzer), you cannot prove an opinion, you can only prove that you believe an opinion, and I never doubted that you believe that :(

Carrnage
04-25-12, 5:11 pm
why so srs brahs... we all have different reasons for lifting brahs... just answer to urself brahs... lift hard and take a multi brahs...

virgins get mad easy brah!......sexual frustration will do that brah!!!.......

Haha just messin, I like the way you speak......BRAH!

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 5:12 pm
virgins get mad easy brah!......sexual frustration will do that brah!!!.......

Haha just messin, I like the way you speak......BRAH!

thats messed up man, this isn't a star trek forum haha.

Carrnage
04-25-12, 5:15 pm

Good fucking post!

Im on the same boat, being big and sexy is much more powerful than being fat and ugly! Jim Wendler is why people look at people who lift weights as "meatheads", mean, fat, and no class!

Carrnage
04-25-12, 5:16 pm

I was kidding!! haha, ill bet you atleast 5 forum members will take that post offensively!! haha

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 5:22 pm
I was kidding!! haha, ill bet you atleast 5 forum members will take that post offensively!! haha

haha yea I know you were.

probably, this isn't the most friendly thread on the forvm and I'm not doing much to help elevate the situation haha.

Universal Rep
04-25-12, 5:28 pm

Wuts wrong with Star Trek? Ya got a problem with it? You think that ur bein funny?

Carrnage
04-25-12, 5:36 pm
Wuts wrong with Star Trek? Ya got a problem with it? You think that ur bein funny?

x2

Universal Rep
04-25-12, 5:38 pm
x2

Haha, Im just messin too...

Seriously tho, this thread seems to have a lot of fellas hot under the collar, eh? What's goin on brotha?

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 5:46 pm

Hells yea I got a problem with it... star trek is for little girls, It's all about Star Wars! That's a mans show!

Universal Rep
04-25-12, 5:47 pm
Hells yea I got a problem with it... star trek is for little girls, It's all about Star Wars! That's a mans show!

Mmm.... Star Wars, oh yeah. Where's NG??? I think he's a big fan of them ewoks, haha...

JUGGERNAUT
04-25-12, 5:58 pm
http://www.wizardworldcomiccon.com/raypaimafrst1.html

BigChrisF
04-25-12, 6:16 pm

That quote wasn't Jim. It was Matt Rhodes in reference to Rhodestown, a complete farce that wasn't to be taken to heart.

Carrnage
04-25-12, 6:16 pm

Princess Leia for the f'ing win.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 7:25 pm
That quote wasn't Jim. It was Matt Rhodes in reference to Rhodestown, a complete farce that wasn't to be taken to heart.

well that may be the case, I have heard it as quoted by Jim, but I dunno... regardless of who the original author is or whether or not it's intent is meant to be taken literally or not, i am referring to the broader spectrum, because those kind of quotes get tossed around all the time as a justification for ones means, which is what I am ultimately referring to.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 7:32 pm
Princess Leia for the f'ing win.

for real dude, she was slammin back then. That outfit from Return of the Jedi...

Noob Saibot
04-25-12, 8:34 pm
for real dude, she was slammin back then. That outfit from Return of the Jedi...

Chewbacca was a big fan of M-Stak

J Wong
05-01-12, 5:41 pm
Why wouldn't you want to lift big weights?

korn_fed
05-02-12, 12:37 am

First of all, let me start off my saying that I severely doubt that Carrnage was trying to unsettle anyones nerves by posting this, and I dont see this as "trolling", simply a guy wondering how other people view things. Somebody great once said, "you have not lived life until youve seen it through someone elses shoes" or something along those lines, and I believe thats what Carrnage is trying to get accomplished by starting this thread. Im not trying to call anyone out here, but all Im saying is that if you dont like the post, simply dont read it and click the back button on your browser, no need for the hostility.

Now, getting into Carrnge's post... I used to care about my numbers in the gym, I would write everything down from my weight and sets and reps, to the way I was feeling after every exercise, to what was sore and what wasnt after every workout. I used it as a way to track my progress and make sure that I was continuously moving forward towards my goal of being an elite bodybuilder, being careful never to backtrack. And quite honestly, this worked for a while. It helped me when I was first starting out, because I wasnt as accustomed to listening to my body as I am now.

But quite honestly, I gave up writing down all my numbers about a year or so ago. Once you become more in tune with your body (this is from a bodybuilding stand point, NOT a powerlifter/strongman), you really dont need to worry about numbers, all you have to worry about is keeping track of how your body responds to different stimuli and external stresses (just trying to sound smart here, in laymans terms, this just means different exercises/routines/etc). Bodybuilding isnt about how much weight you lift, its about creating a perfect physique, whether that be through heavy ass weight and low reps, light weight and countless reps, or somewhere in between. If any of you are familiar with Kai Greene (and Im sure plenty of you are), he stresses this to no end in a particular video where he was training with a fan. In the situation, Kai's fan was doing heavy barbell curls, yet lifting with his ego instead of with his mind muscle connection. Kai stopped him in the middle of a set, told him to drop the weight by about 20 lbs, then told him to visualize his bicep contracting as he performed the movement, squeeze the bicep at its peak contraction, then control the weight on the negative portion of the rep and feel/invision his muscle fibers stretching as the weight lowered. By the end of the workout, Kai's fan admitted that he was more sore than he had ever been before.

However, I do feel that worrying about numbers has a place, especially in strongman/powerlifting, when the end goal is to lift a greater amount of weight than your competitor. Keeping track of your numbers, like I said earlier, is almost essencial in making sure that you are constantly progressing from week to week.

My final point is, we all lift for different reasons, whether its to be better at a certain sport, help with every day functionality, improve your skill set in a certain workforce, or merely for confidence/self satisfaction. Personally, I lift for a number of reasons. I lift because I love seeing my body grow, change, adapt, and become better. I lift because lifting is one of the few things I have absolute control over in my life. I lift because I have a dream of becoming Mr. Olympia some day. I lift because I love being better than other people (as self centered and ignorant as that sounds, its true, and honestly who doesnt like being better at something than other people?). I lift because I enjoy taking every set to failure, knowing that I gave up every ounce of strength humanly possible in my body and then some in order to get a task accomplished. I lift because I have a desperate craving for the dedication that a bodybuilding lifestyle requires. And last but not least, I lift simply because I fucking love the iron game.

korn_fed
05-02-12, 12:42 am
One thing I forgot: why do we keep "journeys" right here on the forum? Surely its to track our own progress, but dont you think its also to hear positive feedback from other people and keep yourself motivated? Isnt that showing off to some degree? Whether you want to admit it or not, all of us lift to boost our ego in one way or another, some less or more than others. Like I said, I'm not here to troll, call anyone out, or start any fights. I'm just bringing to light some facts that we sometimes (myself included) blow way out of proportion.

Cellardweller
05-02-12, 10:06 am
I don't see Journeys as ego boosters. Sure when you nail a PR you want to share the victory and who better to share that with than your other crazy Animal homies. Going into work and telling everyone you pulled 500lbs is a bit vain though. This is the environment for that. You don't go to the gym and pull a curtain around the power rack so no one can see what you're doing to stay "ego free." The Journey also keeps you honest. Your friends can call you out if you're backing down, plateau or notice you're not getting your cardio in. We also coach each other through them. I'm sure alot of us are some of the biggest guys at our gyms. Reading someone else's Journey who can lift more than you can be a source of inspiration, motivation and energy. You might as well say that going to the Cage and squatting 700lb raw in a demo is showing off and an ego booster and we shouldn't do it. Again, this is the environment for that. It's why we're all here. It's what we all want. Be proud of your achievements. Looking down on others because they can't bench as much as you is shit. But helping others to get there themselves is what it's about.

JUGGERNAUT
05-02-12, 10:35 am
I don't see Journeys as ego boosters. Sure when you nail a PR you want to share the victory and who better to share that with than your other crazy Animal homies. Going into work and telling everyone you pulled 500lbs is a bit vain though. This is the environment for that. You don't go to the gym and pull a curtain around the power rack so no one can see what you're doing to stay "ego free." The Journey also keeps you honest. Your friends can call you out if you're backing down, plateau or notice you're not getting your cardio in. We also coach each other through them. I'm sure alot of us are some of the biggest guys at our gyms. Reading someone else's Journey who can lift more than you can be a source of inspiration, motivation and energy. You might as well say that going to the Cage and squatting 700lb raw in a demo is showing off and an ego booster and we shouldn't do it. Again, this is the environment for that. It's why we're all here. It's what we all want. Be proud of your achievements. Looking down on others because they can't bench as much as you is shit. But helping others to get there themselves is what it's about.

Well said

PORTERHOUSE
05-02-12, 12:39 pm
But quite honestly, I gave up writing down all my numbers about a year or so ago. Once you become more in tune with your body (this is from a bodybuilding stand point, NOT a powerlifter/strongman), you really dont need to worry about numbers,

Exactly, I think this is what carrnage was saying, is that so many guys who chase bodybuidling physiques look for numbers. For me, strength gains are ok, but they are a secondary, side-effect if you will, of my training, and at the end of the day, I don't care how much weight I move, because it is irrelevant to my goals. To some this rings true, to others, they don't agree because they are after somehting different, and neither one of us is more correct than the other. its like when I lived in South Carolina and all you hear about is how the south is better, or how the North is better (you can guess which region argues which), but at the end of the day, its a preference, an opinion, and both sides become more ignorant every time they have the argument because they don't realize this.

This is why I piss on quotes like the Jim Wendler one, because they take away the individuality of the sport and attempt to move it in one, right or wrong type direction. This brings the sport down for everybody. There is no right or wrong reason to train, the only thing you can really do that is "wrong" is train in a way that is inconsistent with your goals. I can even respect the guy who trains "just to get laid", because at least hes got a goal, and he's moving towards it.

Looking down on others because they can't bench as much as you is shit. But helping others to get there themselves is what it's about.
Bingo! This is my biggest pet peeve in this game. You should never hold someone else to your standards, but help them live up to their own.

korn_fed
05-02-12, 1:08 pm

Im not saying that you shouldnt squat 700 lbs in the Cage because its showing off, all Im saying is that squatting 700 lbs in front of a crowd of roaring fans definately boosts your ego, which is something that we all search for in one way or another. Im also not saying that you should go show off just for the sole purpose of inflating your ego; my point is that squatting 700 lbs by yourself with no one around is definately satisfying, but squatting 700 lbs in front of other people is much more satisfying in my point of view, just because you know those people look up to you and are proud of your accomplishments. And in no way shape or form do I condone looking down on other people! But you do make a great point Cellar.

Cellardweller
05-02-12, 5:34 pm
Just expanding a bit on what you said.

fenix237
05-02-12, 6:29 pm
i think some people are taking Jim Wendler out of context- he is who he is and has his only 'style' which works for him- i personally like it...anyone who would seek his advice on elitefts or buy his books are generally looking to get bigger and stronger and he caters to that crowd- he knows his shit, and it isnt just about powerlifting itself- his 5/3/1 emphasizes a heavy conditioning athletic component

btw- you cant compare 2 very different training protocols- saying JW would get 'exposed' training the way marines do- how strong do you think marines would be lifting weights the way Jim does (and other PL/strongmen)??- they wouldnt even come close, and they would struggle w a loaded prowler as well...i have nothing but admiration for our troops (they are our nation's finest), so plz do not think im trying to shine them in a poor light, absolutely not,...my point is they are specialized for what they are required to do, and that doesnt include being an XXL behemoth

like was said, there are many of us from all walks of life here in the Forvm- there is no right or wrong- we are here to share our passion and to learn and get better

btw- Bruiser was right early on in this thread- its purpose was to stir the pot and get members to start arguments amongst themselves- mission accomplished

N. Motta
05-02-12, 7:12 pm
...btw- Bruiser was right early on in this thread- its purpose was to stir the pot and get members to start arguments amongst themselves- mission accomplished

Would you expect anything less from a thread started by the OP?

PORTERHOUSE
05-02-12, 7:25 pm
btw- you cant compare 2 very different training protocols- saying JW would get 'exposed' training the way marines do- how strong do you think marines would be lifting weights the way Jim does (and other PL/strongmen)??- they wouldnt even come close, and they would struggle w a loaded prowler as well...i have nothing but admiration for our troops (they are our nation's finest), so plz do not think im trying to shine them in a poor light, absolutely not,...my point is they are specialized for what they are required to do, and that doesnt include being an XXL behemoth

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make, because that's basically my point, except that, what I am saying, is that guys get so ingrained in this sport they think being a man has to do with how much you can pull of the ground or how much space you take up, etc... that's an illusion. Its just not true, yea they would struggle with a loaded prowler, no shit. Jim would struggle to survive sere school, in fact, the US military (army maybe, HA!) would put him in the fat platoon, he would not even be fit for service, maybe they could ifnd work for him as a tug boat or something, I dunno. Point being, what makes a man has to do with character, things like bravery and sacrifice (real sacrifice), not bodybuilding/powerlifting,size etc... personally, I think it takes a weak minded individual that needs these things to feel like a man.

and if you (not you, specifically) can't see that, your too close to the game, and you need to take a step back. If you have a blow ass personality as a small dude or a fat dude, then your going to have a blow ass personality as an in shape guy (in fact, this may exacerbate the problem haha).

on that note, I'm going to quite talking about Jim, because its starting to sound like I have a vendetta against him, which I do not. It's the mentality as a whole, which can be any single person, big or small, moderately well known or unknown, but its quotes like his I exampled that I am ultimately referring to. Some are saying they're jokes, well, maybe, I see it more like calling a gay dude a *** and then acting like your kidding when he gets mad. If they are jokes, then I guess we know why these guys power lifting and aren't hosting the daily show.

I knew I was going to get shit for this because I'm badmouthing your guys' idols, but I stand by my word. I also feel like my participation in this thread is no longer productive, and probably this thread as a whole, we're really starting to beat a dead horse here. My words are there, your words are there, we know what we all think, so we can keep this debate going for days, or we can move on to more productive conversations. I vote move on.

fenix237
05-02-12, 10:17 pm
It's all good Porter- I have no issue w anything you said, and I agree w your last post regarding the quality of people is what matters...you were a little harsh on JW tho lol