PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep during contest prep

The House
04-22-12, 10:03 am
Just throwing this out. I find the deeper I get into my contest prep my body wants to sleep less does anyone else experience this. Yes I get tired at night then I sleep for like 2 or 3 hours then find my self wide awake. I always findo my self wanting to nap during the day more like if I am at lunch I eat then take a quick 15 min nap which I never do during offseason. And if u guys are the same what do u guys do with this extra time being awake. I alway wake up watch tv for like 30 mins then go back to sleep or start cooking my meals for the next day then go back to bed. Or get on Internet and watch training videos. Lol it's crazy because in offseason I sleep all night straight but prep it seems my sleep is broken up . What ur take and what do u guys do when u wake up to pass the time.

Mr. Dead
04-22-12, 11:09 am
I actually do pretty much the same as you... Sometimes I'll grab another pack of Animal PM, but that's when I wake up after only 1 or 2 hours of sleep and can't fall back asleep...

The House
04-22-12, 11:51 am
I actually do pretty much the same as you... Sometimes I'll grab another pack of Animal PM, but that's when I wake up after only 1 or 2 hours of sleep and can't fall back asleep...

Yes animal pm works but I think contest prep just screws with my sleep lol

Mr. Dead
04-22-12, 12:20 pm
Yes animal pm works but I think contest prep just screws with my sleep lol
I definitely have the same issue, too... Drives my wife nuts, when I'm in prep... lol

Marcus Leong
04-22-12, 2:40 pm
Just throwing this out. I find the deeper I get into my contest prep my body wants to sleep less does anyone else experience this. Yes I get tired at night then I sleep for like 2 or 3 hours then find my self wide awake. I always findo my self wanting to nap during the day more like if I am at lunch I eat then take a quick 15 min nap which I never do during offseason. And if u guys are the same what do u guys do with this extra time being awake. I alway wake up watch tv for like 30 mins then go back to sleep or start cooking my meals for the next day then go back to bed. Or get on Internet and watch training videos. Lol it's crazy because in offseason I sleep all night straight but prep it seems my sleep is broken up . What ur take and what do u guys do when u wake up to pass the time.

Hi bro, I am 3 weeks out from my show now and I am the same.. god it sucks when you feel like you want to take a nap at noon and you cant.. finally its time to go to bed at the end of the day, you sleep for 2-3 hours then you wake up thinking its already 7 but damn, its only 2 am lol. Also sometimes I dream I am eating shit like crisps/bacon and I suddenly wake up sweating thinking shit, did i really eat that?

Whenever that happens I go to the mirror and hit a couple of poses then I am like fuck yeah then go back to bed lol

Joe J
04-22-12, 3:10 pm
I've never had the problem of not sleeping through the night, but when I am restricted in calories I need the nap in the day.

Would be very interested in some scientific reasons why you guys aren't sleeping!

The House
04-22-12, 3:12 pm
I definitely have the same issue, too... Drives my wife nuts, when I'm in prep... lol

Weird thing is I always get more things done during prep because it seems like I have to stay busy lol

The House
04-22-12, 3:31 pm
Hi bro, I am 3 weeks out from my show now and I am the same.. god it sucks when you feel like you want to take a nap at noon and you cant.. finally its time to go to bed at the end of the day, you sleep for 2-3 hours then you wake up thinking its already 7 but damn, its only 2 am lol. Also sometimes I dream I am eating shit like crisps/bacon and I suddenly wake up sweating thinking shit, did i really eat that?

Whenever that happens I go to the mirror and hit a couple of poses then I am like fuck yeah then go back to bed lol

My dreams are crazy during contest prep also. I don't dream about food but I dream about fighting people or flying like floating lol or jumping real high

The House
04-22-12, 3:33 pm
I've never had the problem of not sleeping through the night, but when I am restricted in calories I need the nap in the day.

Would be very interested in some scientific reasons why you guys aren't sleeping!

If u find some or anyone knows some post it up could be intersting

Joe J
04-23-12, 3:15 pm
The mental battle of being wide and awake and hungry! aaaah!

C.Coronato
04-23-12, 3:19 pm
I have the same problems for sure. I was told once that it is due to your metabolism running so fast and your hungry so it wakes you up.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
04-23-12, 5:30 pm
I have the same problems for sure. I was told once that it is due to your metabolism running so fast and your hungry so it wakes you up.

This and I've also heard that your body temp runs a little higher as ur metabolism speeds up making u uncomfortable. I can't imagine being deep into prep cus just keepin clean diet and a little cardio makes me restless at night. Even if I sleep well it's 5-6hr tops.

J-Dawg
04-23-12, 5:32 pm
High stims + fast metabolism + lower cals maybe?

korn_fed
04-23-12, 8:25 pm
How late are you doing your last session of cardio? It could be that your body is still in over drive, especially if youre doing HIIT cardio. I had that problem where I was doing 30 min of HIIT cardio at 6-7 at night then trying to sleep at 10 or 11 only to stay up until 2 in the morning. Then, I switched around my workouts and did my cardio sessions in the morning and my real weight training in the evening, started supplementing with melatonin, and poof, no more sleeping problems. However, I'm not in contest prep per se, just cutting down for the summer.

Universal Rep
04-26-12, 11:14 am
Sometimes when I wake in the middle of the night, I'll do some light exercises to try and tire myself out a little...

Mr. Dead
04-26-12, 11:25 am

Pretty much my thought...

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-12, 11:28 am
I have the opposite problem, I fall asleep pretty easier than usual, but I have a really hard time getting out of bed. I train at 5-530 am, and normally I have no problem getting up, but it seems like as my bf% drops, my ability to wake up easily goes with it.

The House
04-30-12, 7:19 am
The mental battle of being wide and awake and hungry! aaaah!

Very true two of the dieters delights

The House
04-30-12, 7:20 am

That's a damn good thing then right for contest prep I love it

The House
04-30-12, 7:22 am
This and I've also heard that your body temp runs a little higher as ur metabolism speeds up making u uncomfortable. I can't imagine being deep into prep cus just keepin clean diet and a little cardio makes me restless at night. Even if I sleep well it's 5-6hr tops.

Soon chase u will soon lol can't wait for u to hit the stage

The House
04-30-12, 7:23 am

The trifecta lol

The House
04-30-12, 7:25 am
How late are you doing your last session of cardio? It could be that your body is still in over drive, especially if youre doing HIIT cardio. I had that problem where I was doing 30 min of HIIT cardio at 6-7 at night then trying to sleep at 10 or 11 only to stay up until 2 in the morning. Then, I switched around my workouts and did my cardio sessions in the morning and my real weight training in the evening, started supplementing with melatonin, and poof, no more sleeping problems. However, I'm not in contest prep per se, just cutting down for the summer.

Good point but my cardio is done first thing in the morning

The House
04-30-12, 7:26 am
Sometimes when I wake in the middle of the night, I'll do some light exercises to try and tire myself out a little...

Like what

The House
04-30-12, 7:30 am
I have the opposite problem, I fall asleep pretty easier than usual, but I have a really hard time getting out of bed. I train at 5-530 am, and normally I have no problem getting up, but it seems like as my bf% drops, my ability to wake up easily goes with it.

Interesting I guess everyone is different. I always find I get up easier during prep. During the offseason I hit the snooze a few times during prep I wake up looking at clock and end up turing it off and just getting up a few mins before it even goes off

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
05-01-12, 7:26 pm
Soon chase u will soon lol can't wait for u to hit the stage

Just a few more days. lol My last final is thursday. I get back from the Pittsburg show on Sunday evening. Full blast diet and cardio starts on Monday. Might hit the stage sooner than I thought. Either way, I need to get my BF% down below 10% and then consider my options. Ive been the Michelin Man for 4 years now. Time to see whats under all this fat and water.