PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else "afraid" to eat?

braves561
04-24-12, 12:20 pm
I started off at 145 lbs. in 2006, started lifting and go to 220 or so in 2009, I then decided to cut back down. I am down to about 150 lbs. or so. I eat and have eaten about 1700-2200 calories a day for the past 3 years or so. I am afraid to eat over that amount. i am obsessed with reading nutrition labels and tracking my macro nutrients. It's almost to the point where I am afraid to eat over 2200 or so calories. Right now to gain muscle, I should be eating around 3000 cals/day. i also do a 5-6 day a week split and some HIIT after my weight lifting a couple of days a week. What can I do to get rid of this fear?

Appollonian
04-24-12, 1:32 pm
Just a question real quick: how tall are you?

At 6'4" I went from ~245 the January of my senior year of college down to ~190 about a later, losing about 2 lb a week. For a lot of that time I was eatin 2200-2600 Calories a day, but towards the end I was eating less than 2200. In the end I had tanked my metabolism, and whittled away quite a bit of muscle in the process. I realized I wasn't nearly as muscular as I want to be, so decided to add more size. When I first started eating more again, even if I ate what I thought would be a maintenance amount of calories, my body responded by slamming the weight on. Eventually I evened out, and I now have a raging metabolism like I used to have and I have to eat more than what the online calculators say would make me put on weight just to stay the same size.

But believe me from my past, I understand your fear well. Once you hit the level of lean-ness that you want, but realize you're not as big/strong as you want to be, you want to add only muscle. While I don't think it's true that you can only add muscle, I believe you can add mostly muscle through careful dieting (not obssesive) and then diet down/do extra cardio later.

I'm not trying to tell you to 'get over it', but in the end I had to realize that when I'm trying to get bigger/stronger, I can stay as conditioned as I am at my leanest, but it's for a reason.

As for the calories to eat I would only use the calculated totals you find online as a guide: maybe you can grow just fine on 2500 Calories a day, maybe you'll need 3200. You won't know until you try. And this number will likely change as you exercise more, add muscle, etc.

Hope this helps you out.

U Mad Brah?
04-24-12, 4:40 pm
keep it simple brahs... gotta eat big to be big brahs... bigger is better brahs...

Carrnage
04-24-12, 4:57 pm
keep it simple brahs... gotta eat big to be big brahs... bigger is better brahs...

O rly brah

Carrnage
04-24-12, 5:08 pm
I started off at 145 lbs. in 2006, started lifting and go to 220 or so in 2009, I then decided to cut back down. I am down to about 150 lbs. or so. I eat and have eaten about 1700-2200 calories a day for the past 3 years or so. I am afraid to eat over that amount. i am obsessed with reading nutrition labels and tracking my macro nutrients. It's almost to the point where I am afraid to eat over 2200 or so calories. Right now to gain muscle, I should be eating around 3000 cals/day. i also do a 5-6 day a week split and some HIIT after my weight lifting a couple of days a week. What can I do to get rid of this fear?

So basically you do not want to gain any fat right? Here are some basic tips for ya! (below)

1)HIIT cardio 2x a week minimum
2)High doses of Fish oil (to stay more insulin sensitive)
3)Train intense with compound movements, and I mean really push it! Ditch the cables for now! Heavy free weights!
4)Take a nutrient partioner supplement like Animal M-Stak
5)Train no more than 3 days a week in the gym focusing the decline/flat/incline presses, rows/chins/deadlifts,shoulder presses, squats, dips

^^ All that will ensure you stay "sensitive" to insulin, so glucose/carbs will go towards your goals instead of against them(fat gain). And keeps cortisol levels at bay to ensure your body composition stays where you want it to be(lean/muscular/vascular), number 5 is huge, because most trainees fail to take advantage of the offseason growing phase, instead alot of trainees focus on cable/machine movements with very little free weight compound movements in their training, what happens is that they make very minimal progress as time goes by. You want to make outstanding progress as time goes by! Rest and food will be your 2 most anabolic weapons. A nutrient partioner like M-Stak will ensure your body is more "receptive" to nutrients, which is what any fitness/bodybuilder trainee would want, less fat storage/gain aka poor insulin usage is not what we want. We want our bodies to use insulin towards our goals, and have/maintain optimal testosterone levels for making huge gains without any fat gain.

Really hope this helps man

masonjc
04-24-12, 6:45 pm
So basically you do not want to gain any fat right? Here are some basic tips for ya! (below)

1)HIIT cardio 2x a week minimum
2)High doses of Fish oil (to stay more insulin sensitive)
3)Train intense with compound movements, and I mean really push it! Ditch the cables for now! Heavy free weights!
4)Take a nutrient partioner supplement like Animal M-Stak
5)Train no more than 3 days a week in the gym focusing the decline/flat/incline presses, rows/chins/deadlifts,shoulder presses, squats, dips

^^ All that will ensure you stay "sensitive" to insulin, so glucose/carbs will go towards your goals instead of against them(fat gain). And keeps cortisol levels at bay to ensure your body composition stays where you want it to be(lean/muscular/vascular), number 5 is huge, because most trainees fail to take advantage of the offseason growing phase, instead alot of trainees focus on cable/machine movements with very little free weight compound movements in their training, what happens is that they make very minimal progress as time goes by. You want to make outstanding progress as time goes by! Rest and food will be your 2 most anabolic weapons. A nutrient partioner like M-Stak will ensure your body is more "receptive" to nutrients, which is what any fitness/bodybuilder trainee would want, less fat storage/gain aka poor insulin usage is not what we want. We want our bodies to use insulin towards our goals, and have/maintain optimal testosterone levels for making huge gains without any fat gain.

Really hope this helps man

I have this same fear, so i really loved this post! Thank you, I was just wondering what you consider High doses of Fish Oil? Isnt too much Fish Oil a bad thing? Thanks for your help

intoodeep25
04-24-12, 7:17 pm
everybodies afraid to gain a little fat it seems. i dont understand it. i started at 150lbs, knew i wanted to get huge, knew i wanted to be a monster, knew i wanted to be inhumanly strong. you know what else i knew? that it wasnt gonna be easy and i was gonna have to eat my butt off to get there. im 262 lbs right now. started with a 95lb bench, its in the 400 lbs range right now. ive never been afraid of gaining fat, and ive made massive strides towards my goals. im not talking massive belly fat, but for gods sake stop worrying about "losing my abz" and gain some appreciable muscle mass!

Carrnage
04-24-12, 8:18 pm
I have this same fear, so i really loved this post! Thank you, I was just wondering what you consider High doses of Fish Oil? Isnt too much Fish Oil a bad thing? Thanks for your help

I feel you man!

The world we live in now is filled with pollutants, processed foods, and excess drugs, your typical human body(depending where you live and how you were raised) nowa days are NOT that "receptive" to nutrients, meaning...for example, if Billy Bobby Bodybuilder ate even a quarter of what your ifbb pro's eat the nutrients wouldn't go towards Billy Bobby Bodybuilder's physical goals, they would go against them.

So for any fitness/bodybuilder/high intensity athlete, we need to find every possible way to make our bodies more "receptive" to nutrients. Thats why we take certain supplements, its all about nutrients, delivery, and partioning. Heres a small list to keep your body receptive to nutrients! (below)

1)Stay away from processed foods!
2)Keep stress levels down! (huge)
3)High Dose of fish oil (I got this from Charles Poliquin, and fish oil is one of those supplements, the higher dose, the better!) 3g is enough daily, 20g would just make your life even better!
4)Do a 14-28 day detox every 9 months or so (once a year atleast!) And incorporate detoxing methods daily, like Green Tea 2-4x a day, tons of water!
5)Take a good GDA and Nutrient PArtioner Supplement.....pm me on the GDA(glucose disposal agent) and for your Nutrient PArtioner, animal m-stak and stak are great choices!

Simple and effective!

Hope this helps brother

Grimm
04-24-12, 10:29 pm
Stop being scared. At 150 you can eat damn near anything out there and SHOULD BE if your goals are to get bigger. Eating is the fun part!

pushin weight
04-26-12, 9:37 am

Quit fuckin thinking so much.....") if you become OCD about macros and quit listening to your body your gonna get stuck in limbo and you will be frustrated and unhappy with your results.Keep your food clean and consider the timing of your nutrients as it pertains to your workouts...last but not least..you must make a good plan and then trust and depend on it to yield results( of course you may have to tweak along the way) the body can be manipulated easier than the mind...lol good luck my friend...

You may have to experiment with several types of diets before you find one that works well for your body...

Solid Dreams
04-26-12, 10:19 am
One diet recommends 15 grams of EFAs (and the other one). that's a ridiculous amount of fish oil, so no, I don't think unless you're doing Animal Test, you'll be able to take too much fish oil.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?7904-Ox-s-Stable&p=1216500&viewfull=1#post1216500

CMurray
04-26-12, 11:16 am
Afraid to eat? Nah...

I like eating way too much for that. It's all about your goals. If you want to get big, you have to eat. The key is eating the right stuff and making sure you aren't stuffing your face with processed foods that don't add much nutrition.

Calculate your macros, track what you eat, hit your macros and fill the rest with what you want.

PORTERHOUSE
04-26-12, 11:35 am

You sound like your developing obsessive compulsive behavior that's derived from poor self image. This is something you need to be aware of, because if it's not something you can learn to control on your own, your obsessions and compulsions will get worse over time, leading to greater anxiety and so on... If it continues to get worse, you may want to consider counseling.

An someone else said it, but for the sport, your thinking too much. You don't even need to count calories, I haven't in years.

Universal Rep
04-26-12, 11:44 am

Yo B, please tell me ur 5'1"...

braves561
04-26-12, 9:08 pm
Yo B, please tell me ur 5'1"...

5'9....

Beach91
04-26-12, 10:06 pm
ONe thing i can recommend to the OP... i have a very sensitive and slow metabolism, a very hard time dropping wt. and easy when gaining - when dieting i go as low as 15-1700 daily cals, and i can bulk and gain wt on 24-2600 daily calories

i count and measure all my macros - my on stage wt when competein is 170, right now I am sitting at 205 (which is a little to heavy for my liking)

Anyhow,

If you have been measuring everything and counting your macros, and still have the discipline to do so, do NOT just listen to everyone and start eating blindly

use that discipline and experiment on yourself, Use your discipline and strength to your advantage

If you still weigh yourself weekly and check out your body, try slowly adding some carbs and fats into the mix and see how your body reacts

as an example, every week add in 10-20 grams of carbs, and maybe 2-5 grams of fat and see how you react - if you are checking your wt. and how u look and feel weekly, use both as a gauge

doing this slowly will begin to turn your metabolism on in your favour and allow your body the ability to get used to the higher caloric intake (albeit small), process it, and then get used to that amount, so u can add in even more carbs

if u do it little by little and can remain disciplined in your approach, and train hard, you will make good gains

violator
04-30-12, 2:33 am
)
3)High Dose of fish oil (I got this from Charles Poliquin, and fish oil is one of those supplements, the higher dose, the better!) 3g is enough daily, 20g would just make your life even better!

Ive run fish oil @ 20g a day for a month and i have to say i experienced no additional benefit over my usual 3g daily dose.
I did notice my skin became very oily though. ( was using a liquid brand)

Ive also read that high dosing isnt a good idea, as it reduces blood clotting in wounds.

It doesnt surprise me that Poliquin and thibadeau advocate high dosing fish oil(or in their case flame*ut)
Those guys are around just to sell biot3st supps.

Universal Rep
04-30-12, 12:28 pm
5'9....

Brotha, ya need to eat. I mean big time...

B.S.
04-30-12, 12:37 pm
bro thats ~5 lbs of progress in 6 years strictly because of your diet but hit the food slow and keep it clean. you know where your at what i would do is start throwing in real gains somewhere in your day for now and see where that takes you.

Carrnage
04-30-12, 2:59 pm
Ive run fish oil @ 20g a day for a month and i have to say i experienced no additional benefit over my usual 3g daily dose.
I did notice my skin became very oily though. ( was using a liquid brand)

Ive also read that high dosing isnt a good idea, as it reduces blood clotting in wounds.

It doesnt surprise me that Poliquin and thibadeau advocate high dosing fish oil(or in their case flame*ut)
Those guys are around just to sell biot3st supps.

Hmmm thats weird, all my clients including myself notice a much drastic difference from a 3g - 20g a day dose, like enhanced fat loss, mood, sex drive, but then again we are all different.

And bro, becareful what you read on the web, ive read other bodybuilding everyday supps isn't a good idea aswell, just have to find what works for you, and either your using a low quality brand of fish oil, or your diet/training/cardio is no where near where it should be, or maybe a high dose of fish oil straight up doesn't do any good for you, honestly I think its just it may be your using a low quality brand or not doing intense cardio with a diet that supplements your goals.

3g is good though, gotta do what you can afford though!

Carrnage
04-30-12, 2:59 pm
bro thats ~5 lbs of progress in 6 years strictly because of your diet but hit the food slow and keep it clean. you know where your at what i would do is start throwing in real gains somewhere in your day for now and see where that takes you.

I thought real gains is just a typical protein / carb drink?

Universal Rep
04-30-12, 3:02 pm
I thought real gains is just a typical protein / carb drink?

At the end of the day, course it is... For the OP, it'll just provide extra macros/cals.

For a more nuanced user tho, they'll be lookin at the types of protein, added EFAs, fiber, etc. All that won't matter a bit tho if the OP is not eatin enough...

Skumbo
04-30-12, 3:27 pm
I find I actually have the opposite problem, I'm always afraid im not eating ENOUGH even though all my food is planned out and i've seen proper results for them. Stressed me out when cutting, I always think im going to lose all my muscle just cause i lost a few pounds...!!

Carrnage
04-30-12, 9:49 pm
At the end of the day, course it is... For the OP, it'll just provide extra macros/cals.

For a more nuanced user tho, they'll be lookin at the types of protein, added EFAs, fiber, etc. All that won't matter a bit tho if the OP is not eatin enough...

Oh ok, I haven't checked that product out yet, people make it sound like its some magic miracle on here lol, and yes the OP needs to get in more calories!

And OP.....your intensity during training / cardio will dictate if you gain fat or not, so push it!

Universal Rep
05-01-12, 9:33 am
Oh ok, I haven't checked that product out yet, people make it sound like its some magic miracle on here lol

Oh I get it now... Ya were being sarcastic and makin a subtle dig at B.S. That about right?

As far as I've seen, no one calls any supplement a "miracle" on this forum...

Solid Dreams
05-01-12, 10:32 am
uh oh, carrnage got his trollface on.

One thing about this is that if you do add in some quality calories, from basically starving yourself you'll probably be primed to make some intense muscle gains..

Universal Rep
05-01-12, 11:48 am

One thing about this is that if you do add in some quality calories, from basically starving yourself you'll probably be primed to make some intense muscle gains..

The Watchmen and the FORVM (as a whole) don't like trolls... This ain't like other forums that tolerate members undermining others members and bein negative in general... Here, we support one another and stay positive.

B.S.
05-01-12, 12:14 pm
all i was saying is another 650 cals a day would be beneficial and it taste bomb and doesn't destroy my sphincter like other weight gainers

Carrnage
05-01-12, 5:31 pm
Oh I get it now... Ya were being sarcastic and makin a subtle dig at B.S. That about right?

As far as I've seen, no one calls any supplement a "miracle" on this forum...

Huh? No I mean, everyone on here talks and recommends that supplement, just wondering what it was, sheesh!! lol Next time ill just look on bodybuilding.com store to check it out, I wasn't being sarcastic!

Carrnage
05-01-12, 5:32 pm

Dude....you guys completely take my post like im taunting / trolling or what ever.....I guess my typing / internet chat skills are not that great yet, my bad.

And yes I agree!

Tiger
05-02-12, 6:09 am
I've compared Real Gains to the weight gainer two of the guys I know at the gym take, and their shakes have something like 50g protein and 250g carbs. That's my entire carb intake right there...

Whereas, if I want to bump up my calories for the day I can take a half serving of Real Gains and it's 27g protein and 40g carbs - mix that up with some milk and it bumps up a little, but it tastes like a Banana Yazoo! (that may just be a UK reference - translates to "Amazing!"). I use it more at the weekend, where I find it hard to be as strict with my meals and timings.

If the OP wants to start growing then I think eating the same as he is and throwing in a half serving of Real Gains is a great way to do it. That's just an additional 300-400 calories a day. From there, he can keep adding to it slowly.

Think of it this way - what you're doing right now is not working. I can't remember who said it, but insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So it's time to change it up - and you are at least in the privileged position of knowing what needs to change.

So what is there to be scared of? You know you can lose the fat again... If you ask me, losing the fat is easier than gaining the muscle.

Universal Rep
05-02-12, 11:29 am
Huh? No I mean, everyone on here talks and recommends that supplement, just wondering what it was, sheesh!! lol Next time ill just look on bodybuilding.com store to check it out, I wasn't being sarcastic!

It's a solid supp, but "miracle" it ain't and replace whole food it wont.

J-Dawg
05-02-12, 11:43 am
Key thing a lot of hard gainers overlook (myself included for so long) is that ya gotta eat to gain. If you're a hard gainer, being cut and lean is easy. We gotta accept the challenge to pack on mass and then maintain overall muscular weight. If afraid at first, gradually increase calories to stay somewhat lean while gaining.

Carrnage
05-02-12, 2:41 pm
Key thing a lot of hard gainers overlook (myself included for so long) is that ya gotta eat to gain. If you're a hard gainer, being cut and lean is easy. We gotta accept the challenge to pack on mass and then maintain overall muscular weight. If afraid at first, gradually increase calories to stay somewhat lean while gaining.

Solid post!

I wish building mass was as easy as getting shredded aswell