PDA

View Full Version : Numbers

zubda345
04-24-12, 12:31 pm
Hello everyone.

Just a quicky here...

Now after that thread made by Carny "Ego Lifts". Some people might think that I am favoring someone but I am totally neutral on here.

Ok so I have been noticing that we rewind back a year and see, at the mid of 2011 my max bench for reps was about 70-80kg. My max squat was 70kg. and somethings like that. I always used to bitch about my numbers, that I am not able to lift heavy and not gaining numbers and all that. But everyone said me don't worry about the numbers if you are working hard u r growing it's all good... Now Most of the people said that to me (some of those too who opposed carny's EGO LIFTS thread and said that yes they do care about their numbers on the lifts) different reasons, I am not going to post thea reasons now cause everyone has different reasons and everyone loves to lift heavy.

I stopped (became less worry) about my numbers on the lifts and kept on working hard... yes it got me here... I am somewhat improved, I have gained mass, lost BF, gained stamina. But I have lost numbers on my lifts (that might because of the efforts I am putting in all the hardwork I am doing, college hours, not good diet and many things on my mind, but keeping that aside) I still didn't worried much about my lifts cause I had the same mindset... And even Carny said me to not worry about the numbers on the lifts they'll come soon. But after I saw all those posts on that thread some by the people who told me that they don't worry about their number and I should not worry about the weights on the bars, I again am worrying about my lifts... And what makes me think is that Y now those people who said they don't worry about their lifts are saying that they DO worry about their lifts?? I don't mean anything -ve but I think CARRNAGE WAS TRYING TO HELP![(yes he is coky he is rude sometimes and yes he sometimes also uses slangs and he might also brag about himself, but he stood his word).I don't wanna argument on what anybody else thinks about him]. Well he was the only one who stood his word which was that I should not worry about my lifts. Y the people who me to drop the EGO of lifting heavy at the door step now favour lifing heavy?

Again I am not taking any sides. This here is my HOME, This is the brotherhood. All the info I have is cause of animalpak.com or I'll still be out there having a hard time getting rid of my man titts and adding muscle...

Now that THIS is off my mind. I do believed and still do that size follows strength. And I think I am losing strength. Now I want some help with regaining my numbers and even going beyond them I want to lift heavy as fuck and be big as a GODZILLA! I want strength and I want my numbers to go up!

Replies....

Carrnage
04-24-12, 4:40 pm
Good post Zub!

And yes all im trying to do is help, the way I type may make it seem like im "cocky" or an ass or something, if you met me in real life you would know im the nicest fellow in the world!

To your post...

I think everyone wants to "lift heavy ass weights" and be big at the same time, honestly when your starting your going to have to focus more on specific goals, if you want to lift heavy numbers(without a precise bodybuilding lifting technique via feeling the stretching / contracting through every rep with a controlled tempo) go ahead, you will most likely end up with injuries, lack muscle mass, as training for bodybuilding with half ass the results of powerlifting, and in vice versa, powerlifting would half ass the results of bodybuilding, stick to a specific goal, dominate it, over time you will be big and strong, at your stage its a matter of being consistent and knowing specifically WHAT YOU WANT in reality.

For me, I honestly made the greatest strength gains of my life when I started using a "bodybuilder" style of training, intensity/high reps seem to be key for me. And Zub, you need to find a role model, look for someone young, drug free, and walks the walk of the goals that are similar if not the same as yours!

You should check out C.Coronato's logs, he is living testament of what being consistent will do for you, C also trains like a bodybuilder and is freakin' strong. (the dude is young thats also why I mention him)

Cellardweller
04-25-12, 4:30 pm
As a beginner numbers shouldn't matter. Your job as a beginner is to learn to do each exercise with good form. Learn what each exercise is for, ie. isolaton moves vs. compound movements. As you learn this you build up muscular endurance and stammina like you said you have. Once you have your feet wet then you can start adding weight. After you've learned to workout properly and have made some modest gains, that's when you need to decide what kind of program you want to follow. Too many guys just "work out" after this stage in the game and wonder why they aren't making any kinds of gains one way or the other. You need to know how to do things properly, have a plan and have long and short term goals. And naturally your diet needs to reflect those goals.

U Mad Brah?
04-25-12, 4:44 pm
as they say good brahs... do wutever floats your canoe brahs... ur goal is wut u desire good brahs... justify ur liftin to urself brahs... pave ur own way brahonies...

fenix237
04-25-12, 6:42 pm
like cellar said- perfect your form on your lifts, esp the big 3, and always strive too keep getting stronger at them- your accessory work should compliment them and not compete

the 1st few years worry about getting stronger- use proven basic routines- the size will follow...save the high volume routines for later after you packed on some beef

Deathride
04-26-12, 11:34 am
As stated above.

My lifts have improved significantly since I started (they aint great by any means but they're better!) but you have to sometimes forget the numbers and put in the work.

Am starting the Inverted Juggernaut pattern for my squats soon and the weight on the bar will be light and the reps will be many. And this will continue for weeks. And I will feel a bit of a girl for not hitting the 'heavy weights, dude!!!!'

However, if it makes my strength go UP and my 1RM go UP, I don't mind.

Are you TESTING your strength, or BUILDING your strength? If you continually test, you don't get stronger. If you build strength, you will improve.

zubda345
04-26-12, 2:13 pm
My internet connection is fucked up. I will reply tomorrow from the college's internet.

fenix237
04-26-12, 7:50 pm
to add to Deathride's post- dont think the getting stronger on a lift only means your 1rm- example: you bring your squat from 185lbs for 10 to 225 for 8 without ever 'maxing out'- what matters is you are improving on previous workouts...put your effort into the big lifts and let the accessory work round out your program...as DR said, start light, build your stamina while learning the lifts, keep progressing...soon you will be repping what your previous 1rm maxes were

dont overcomplicate things- there are several proven programs (5x5 is one) that you will make great strides with if you stick to them and eat right...dont be OCD with this stuff even tho most of us all do/did at times-

Deathride
04-27-12, 9:35 am
Yeah what he said! This is something I have got trapped into doing - I was doing a Westside-esque program which called for lots of maxing (1RM, 3RM etc) and I don't think that has helped as much as an AMRAP set. Hence my switch to the Juggernaut system. I made my best gains on the 5/3/1 program (admitted when I first started seriously lifting a couple of years ago) and maybe its time for a return. Use the formula to calculate your potential 1RM if that does it for you but don't worry about continually testing it. You only have a finite amount of time in the gym and you need to use that time as best you can.......maxing is done on the platform.

pushin weight
04-27-12, 11:06 am
as they say good brahs... do wutever floats your canoe brahs... ur goal is wut u desire good brahs... justify ur liftin to urself brahs... pave ur own way brahonies...

This guy rocks......

zubda345
04-27-12, 3:06 pm
like cellar said- perfect your form on your lifts, esp the big 3, and always strive too keep getting stronger at them- your accessory work should compliment them and not compete

the 1st few years worry about getting stronger- use proven basic routines- the size will follow...save the high volume routines for later after you packed on some beef

My big three are down thats what I worry about...

to add to Deathride's post- dont think the getting stronger on a lift only means your 1rm- example: you bring your squat from 185lbs for 10 to 225 for 8 without ever 'maxing out'- what matters is you are improving on previous workouts...put your effort into the big lifts and let the accessory work round out your program...as DR said, start light, build your stamina while learning the lifts, keep progressing...soon you will be repping what your previous 1rm maxes were

dont overcomplicate things- there are several proven programs (5x5 is one) that you will make great strides with if you stick to them and eat right...dont be OCD with this stuff even tho most of us all do/did at times-

I never said 1 rep max I also mean jus improving... and I brought my squats from 180lb 8-10 reps upto 225lbs for 2 reps. I take it as an improvement cause before that I couldn't get down with 190lbs on me back.

Now I am on light weights max intensity and controlled movement workouts...

This guy rocks......

His way of typing is different which is good...

Thankx for the replies guys...