PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Cardio

masonjc
04-24-12, 6:59 pm
Alot of people suggest HIIT Training/Cardio a couple times a week to aid fat loss. I was just wondering what everyone does for these? I have my own workouts, but its always nice to change it up, especially when doing cardio. What are your examples of HIIT?

Carrnage
04-24-12, 8:21 pm
Alot of people suggest HIIT Training/Cardio a couple times a week to aid fat loss. I was just wondering what everyone does for these? I have my own workouts, but its always nice to change it up, especially when doing cardio. What are your examples of HIIT?

Im a basketball fan! So I like to play basketball with my friends or by myself! Alot of sprinting in basketball!

But my typical HIIT cardio is....

30-40 secs Intense Sprinting

45-75 secs cooldown / active recovery (walking / jogging)

Repeat process for 12-15 mins (by 8-10 mins, I guarantee you will be gassed out! lol)

Grimm
04-24-12, 10:32 pm
You can incorporate HIIT in a lot of ways. At the gym on the bike I like to get RPM over 100 for a minute then just over 80 for 2 minutes. I'll do that for about an hour. It's tough and burns a lot of calories. Another form of hit I like to do is around a track. I'll sprint the straight aways and coast the corners. It's all about quick then slow then quick motions without stopping.

Noob Saibot
04-24-12, 11:16 pm
I like the exercise bike. I like it cause that's what I have and I don't want to buy a tread mill. Anyway, warmup then 30 seconds at almost max effort, 45 seconds at a recovery pace. Repeat that a few times then cool down. Simple and seems to work for keeping the fat away. The key is to get an intense session in a short amount of time. My sessions run from 5-15 minutes max.

PORTERHOUSE
04-24-12, 11:55 pm
Im a basketball fan! So I like to play basketball with my friends or by myself! Alot of sprinting in basketball!

But my typical HIIT cardio is....

30-40 secs Intense Sprinting

45-75 secs cooldown / active recovery (walking / jogging)

Repeat process for 12-15 mins (by 8-10 mins, I guarantee you will be gassed out! lol)

This is more similar to what I do.

I turn the incline up all the way (15), and pyramid with my speed, so for example, 1st sprint at 5 mph, 2nd at 6 mph, 3rd at 7mph, once I hit 9 mph, I will usually hang around there, do somewhere between 2-4 sprints at 9 mph, then pyramid back down (although I usually don't do all mph's, and sometimes I will skip this step all together and just start walking). if I've still got good energy, I will continue to incline walk with my heart rate around 125 for whatever is left of a half-hour, if Im too tired, then I'm dunzo.

I generally do 30 second sprint/60 second walk (which is why I got cute and started calling it 30/60 hiit), but if Im getting too tired, I will extend the walk portion until Im ready for another sprint, its ok to take longer breaks if you need to.

Solid Dreams
04-25-12, 12:36 am
If I'm doing it on the tread mill I do it like C and Porterhouse do it, but if I'm on the bike, I'll do 1-2 minute "sprints" where I throw heavy resistance and pedal as hard as I can, dropping if need be to keep the momentum up. Then I'll do 3 minute recovery, because I'm usually gassed by then, do 5-6 sets of those and I'm smoked.

masonjc
04-25-12, 9:18 am
I myself enjoy stadium stairs. Sprinting up, walking down and repeat. How many times a week do you guys do these? Do you lift on these days as well?

Noob Saibot
04-25-12, 10:57 am
I myself enjoy stadium stairs. Sprinting up, walking down and repeat. How many times a week do you guys do these? Do you lift on these days as well?

Cardio always after weights, but I don't always do cardio.

SailinScotty
04-25-12, 11:06 am
Cardio always after weights, but I don't always do cardio.

I don't always do cardio, but when I do this ^^^

MR.TeachFreak
04-25-12, 11:10 am
I used to go to my old high school (before it became a closed campus) and sprint the straights and walk the curves on the track. The stadium stairs weren't long enough for HIIT. I did that up at college to or I would go out to the intramural fields on weekends and use the flag football lines for HIIT.

PORTERHOUSE
04-25-12, 12:55 pm
sprint the straights and walk the curves on the track.

exctly what I did when I was in college on the track.

MR.TeachFreak
04-25-12, 1:00 pm
exctly what I did when I was in college on the track.

Now I am saving up for a prowler or some similar type of sled as there is a small field right across from my apartment. Sadly no track within reach as all the schools around here are closed campus' due to "issues"

C.Coronato
04-27-12, 11:26 am
I have done some HIIT during contest prep, im simply not a fan. Some like it, and im not saying it didnt work, but it drained the shit out of me more than needed.

I didnt like running simply because of my knees taking a beating, so i opted to do it on the stepper.

I did a few weeks of 30 secs high, 60 secs low, did that for 25 mins, with a few min warm up and cool down before and after. I then bumped it to 60 high, 60 low. Not fun lol

masonjc
04-27-12, 11:28 am
I have done some HIIT during contest prep, im simply not a fan. Some like it, and im not saying it didnt work, but it drained the shit out of me more than needed.

I didnt like running simply because of my knees taking a beating, so i opted to do it on the stepper.

I did a few weeks of 30 secs high, 60 secs low, did that for 25 mins, with a few min warm up and cool down before and after. I then bumped it to 60 high, 60 low. Not fun lol

Sounds like hell lol, Do you suggest just doing 30-40 min low intensity cardio then?

PORTERHOUSE
04-29-12, 10:18 pm
I have done some HIIT during contest prep, im simply not a fan. Some like it, and Im not saying it didn't work, but it drained the shit out of me more than needed.

I definitely have this problem... Personally I think HIIT is better for gaining, when your diet is down real low, it's brutal.

auburn_1984
05-10-12, 6:57 pm
I am cutting down right now. I am doing HIIT on Mon, Wed, and Fri. I usually do this on the treadmil using the interval option. I sprint (9.5-10mph) for 1 min then jog (6 mph) for 2 minutes. I do that for 20 minutes followed with a 10 minute jog. The remainder of the days i do low intensity elliptical cardio for 45 minutes. HIIT does drain you when cutting but wanted to give it a try for a few weeks to see if it aided to my goal or not.

msktyshha
05-14-12, 5:26 pm
I do it on the stationary bike....first a 5 minute warmup then when the next minute starts I pedal as fast as I possibly can for 15 seconds followed by a 45 second active rest and repeat for 15-20 minutes

bharatoza
05-15-12, 10:03 am
Jog 2 mins, sprint 40 seconds = 1 round

Week 1: 6 rounds
Week 2: 8 rounds
Week 3: 10 rounds
Week 4: 12 rounds

After the 4th week i change the intervals.

Ryan C
05-17-12, 12:31 pm
I suppose it depends on the time of day you do any sort of cardio, in the morning without eating first taking some amino acids would mean that your glucose levels would not be stored up for cardio but it would still keep the mucle replenished! Light/ moderate intensity cardio in this instance should do the trick and especially if your cutting down for a show it would decrease the likely hood of injury

korn_fed
05-17-12, 1:48 pm
Warm up:
3.5 mph
1 min on 1% incline
1 min on 2% incline
1 min on 3% incline
1 min on 4% incline
1 min on 5% incline

HIIT:
5% incline, 3.5 mph for one minute, 11-12 mph for one minute (depending on how I'm feeling that day, some days I go as low as 10mph)
Repeat for 15 minutes

Cooldown:
3.5 mph
1 min on 5% incline
1 min on 4% incline
1 min on 3% incline
1 min on 2% incline
1 min on 1% incline

I like my HIIT in a 1:1 ratio, I feel like if I rest longer than sixty seconds I'm not forcing myself to go beyond my limits. If you don't feel like death itself when your HIIT is over, you aint doin it right!

Occasionally I'll mix it up and do HIIT on the stairclimber... This is some BRUTAL shit, and should not be attempted within a 3 day range of legs day.

Warm up:
1 min level 1
1 min level 2
1 min leve 3
1 min level 4
1 min level 5

HIIT:
1 min level 5, 1 min level 15-20, 1 min level 5, 1 min level 15-20, etc etc etc

Cool down:
1 min level 5
1 min level 4
1 min level 3
1 min level 2
1 min level 1

I choose to shy away from the bike when doing HIIT, i feel its not as affected because my whole body isn't involved, and it depletes my legs before the rest of my body is tired, therefore deeming it pointless. But then again, this is just my opinion, to each there own.

Saeger
05-17-12, 2:57 pm
I have never tried HIIT before and after reading this I think I will add it in twice a week.