PDA

View Full Version : Powrlifting Routine

xrealityapproachesx
04-30-12, 3:53 pm
what do you guys think of this routine...
Sunday - bench press - 5/3/1 template
Monday - deadlift - 5/3/1 template
Wednesday - dynamic effor bench westside style. 8x3 fast then build up to a heavy triple, double, or single
Thursday - Squat doing 8 rep max build up 5 pounds each week. once that becomes impossible drop to 5 rm, 3rm, and 2 rm. each of these drops over time as the 5 pounds added a week becomes too much.

assistance work is by feel. usually periodization bible by dave tate.
sometimes squat and dl day get switched.
and sometimes it runs sunday tuesday thursday friday

Aggression
04-30-12, 4:01 pm
Honestly, I say either pick the 5/3/1 and use it or pick WestSide and use it. I think you're overdoing yourself by combining the two, especially since you want to do bench-5/3/1 and then later in the week hit it again for speed work AND heavy reps. Too much, IMO. Pick one or the other and run with it.

xrealityapproachesx
04-30-12, 4:20 pm
thanks for the reply! do you know where i could find a westside training template for a raw lifter?

ronnie
04-30-12, 4:27 pm
Honestly, I say either pick the 5/3/1 and use it or pick WestSide and use it. I think you're overdoing yourself by combining the two, especially since you want to do bench-5/3/1 and then later in the week hit it again for speed work AND heavy reps. Too much, IMO. Pick one or the other and run with it.

Agreed, unless you have YEARS of experience and know how to listen to your body, this could be a waste of time.

thanks for the reply! do you know where i could find a westside training template for a raw lifter?

Doing Westside raw is pretty much the very same. Ive been doing it for a while now with success, the only change I made is that I do my speed squats as squats, not box squats. I found box squatting really took away from my squat. I believe that box squatting may have more cary over to geared lifting.

Again, if you are gonna train westside really watch your recovery. 4 days of ME and DE work in 1 week was too much for me, I spread it out over 10 days instead, recovery was much better.

DE low
off
DE up
off
ME low
off
off
ME up
off
off

repeat.

Aggression
04-30-12, 4:28 pm

Here's mine:

[conjugate method]
ME Lower Body
- Squat/DL/Good Morning variation (work up to heavy single or triple using variety of bars, chains, bands, etc)
- Lower Back training; 4x8-10
- Back movement; 4x-6-10
- Abs

ME Upper
- Bench Press (work up to heavy single or max trip with variety of movements; rack press, board press, reverse bands, floor press, etc)
- Triceps; heavy compound movement 4-5x5-10
- Triceps; extensions 3-4x8-10
- Lats; 4-5x6-10
- Delts; 3-4x6-10

Speed Lower
- Squats; 8-12 doubles w/ 40-60% 1RM with variety of resistance; box, bands, chains
- DLs; 8-10 singles w/ 40-60% w/ variety
- Low Back Training
- Abs

Speed Upper
- Bench; 8-10 triples w/ 40-60 w/ variety of bars and resistance
- same accessory work as ME upper

xrealityapproachesx
04-30-12, 4:40 pm
@aggression
so on me lower body day you do either deadlift or squat?
or do you do both?
and thanks for the templates!

Aggression
04-30-12, 4:42 pm
@aggression
so on me lower body day you do either deadlift or squat?
or do you do both?
and thanks for the templates!

I do both. On ME days, I choose one.

xrealityapproachesx
04-30-12, 4:50 pm
so one week you could deadlift and one week you could squat? i lik the idea!
where did you find this?

Big Wides
04-30-12, 4:55 pm
Hey man, if your looking to start out powerlifting my advice would be to start out with something very simplistic like a 5x5 routine to build base strength, stamina, etc before jumping into the 5/3/1 and Westside routines. One thing, I would not combine Westside with any other program that's out there, it is taxing enough and when you do pick a program, stick with it for a good 12 weeks then switch it up.

Aggression
04-30-12, 5:03 pm
where did you find this?

If you max out on a heavy squat, good luck trying to follow that up with a max deadlift. I alternate those 2, along with good mornings, as my ME movements each week.

One thing, I would not combine Westside with any other program that's out there, it is taxing enough and when you do pick a program, stick with it for a good 12 weeks then switch it up.

Aggression
04-30-12, 5:03 pm
where did you find this?

If you max out on a heavy squat, good luck trying to follow that up with a max deadlift. I alternate those 2, along with good mornings, as my ME movements each week.

One thing, I would not combine Westside with any other program that's out there, it is taxing enough and when you do pick a program, stick with it for a good 12 weeks then switch it up.

amen

xrealityapproachesx
04-30-12, 5:39 pm
I didn't just start. i've been at it for a while. i did a program a friend gave me for a pretty long time before i moved on to the juggernaut method. after juggernaut i moved on to 5.3.1. after which i did some strongman shit for a bit, but now i want to hit the PL hard!