PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION: "Your Ego Is Not Your Amigo" by Ox

Universal Rep
05-03-12, 12:17 pm
"Your Ego Is Not Your Amigo" by Ox
http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=599

Who read it and wants to discuss? Ox argues that there are so many things beyond our control, even as BBers... "Why do some people insist that it is they and only they who are responsible for their success or failure? I imagine that the reason they do it is to feel empowered. But what is more empowering than the recognition that your life will go exactly as it is meant to? I cannot imagine anything less degrading than refusing to acknowledge that perhaps Iím not meant for that which I believed I was."

Thoughts? Let's use this thread to discuss important topics that are brought up on the articles at Animalpak.com...

Mr. Dead
05-03-12, 12:32 pm
Having had a few more years on this rock, than some... I can say that I had my hopes and dreams... I can say that many outside factors changed them... I can also say that I've had a modicum of success in the paths that I chose to trod...

For example... Always wanted to be a Rock Star... Learned to play the guitar... Spent many hours practicing and honing my craft... Then... Tragedy struck... I had an accident that severely damaged both of my hands... I still attmepted to carry on, despite the loss of the use of some of my "fret" hand... Eventually I joined a band... We were good enough to get paid fairly well for our gigs... Then, changes in direction, dissension, and finally a parting of ways... That totally soured me on the entire "Rock Star" path... Yet... To this day, I still play...

Bodybuilding... After my forray into the music world, I turned my attention to another passion... Bodybuilding... Let's see here... I'm 43... Will I win the Mr. Olympia... 99.9% probability that would be a no... Could I still earn a "Master's Pro Card"...??? Maybe... Any given day on any given stage things can happen... Do I still train...??? Yes... Do I still cling to hopes and aspirations...??? Yes... But... In an instant... I know the path can change and all could be gone...

zubda345
05-03-12, 12:33 pm
Haven't read that article yet. But if u mean to ask, "do we have power over everything, like we are the ONLY ONE responsible for our success or failure?" My answer would be NO. WE are not responsible for everything, there are many many manyyyy things beyond our control, even if we just do everything in our power to atchive em, we still can't... It's not what I have ONLY heard but also EXPERIENCED. I have experienced this many times in my life till now... I guess somethings are not just meant to be... which makes me sad :( But I also see many people who just say, "if it's meant to happen it'll happen!" now don't fuck it up like this, many people just say that and sit in their homes don't earn and don't do anything for themselves and say "I wanted this I wanted that but couldn't get it, it wasn't meant for me or it wasn't meant to happen!"... Now if someone is one of em HE'S A FUCKIN PSYCHO!

U have to work ur ass off to get what u want but if u know u are doing everything in ur power to get it and at the end u still don't get it and know u did all u could, then that was not meant to be... U don't have power over that...

I have many experiences of my own like this... many of em are personal...

Deff looks like a really great article and a special article for me... I will read it asap... prolly in college tomorrow....

zubda345
05-03-12, 12:37 pm
Having had a few more years on this rock, than some... I can say that I had my hopes and dreams... I can say that many outside factors changed them... I can also say that I've had a modicum of success in the paths that I chose to trod...

For example... Always wanted to be a Rock Star... Learned to play the guitar... Spent many hours practicing and honing my craft... Then... Tragedy struck... I had an accident that severely damaged both of my hands... I still attmepted to carry on, despite the loss of the use of some of my "fret" hand... Eventually I joined a band... We were good enough to get paid fairly well for our gigs... Then, changes in direction, dissension, and finally a parting of ways... That totally soured me on the entire "Rock Star" path... Yet... To this day, I still play...

Bodybuilding... After my forray into the music world, I turned my attention to another passion... Bodybuilding... Let's see here... I'm 43... Will I win the Mr. Olympia... 99.9% probability that would be a no... Could I still earn a "Master's Pro Card"...??? Maybe... Any given day on any given stage things can happen... Do I still train...??? Yes... Do I still cling to hopes and aspirations...??? Yes... But... In an instant... I know the path can change and all could be gone...

V well put CG.

I do have my experiences too. But I gotta eat right now... will try to post one or two up tomorrow.

kcburrows
05-03-12, 1:26 pm
This is a great article and I'm very interested in seeing everyone's opinion on the matter as this is both something that we highly debatable, plus its that people will feel passionate about. I personally give complete credit in Believing in God as my Lord and Savior and i also believe that he has a plan for us. I also believe that within those plans are free will and personal decisions that may detract you from reaching the final destination. Wheather that is a good or bad thing I dont know. I look back often in my life and think about how drastically one decision can change everything. For example I am happily married to the woman of my dreams and have a 13yr old daughter that I adopted that my wife had at an early age. It is the begining of our lives together as a family and i couldnt be happier. Rewind back 4 years ago I was actively pursuing and fully believed from the age of 3 that i would one day be a pro baseball player. I played all through high school and college and went on to play independent league ball. 3 months before my wife and i met for the first time I got an offer to move to florida to train at an elite baseball academy which was highly scouted. My dad talked me out of it and i ended up staying thinking i could make it with the local indy league team. Right after i turned it down got an offer to play softball with a co-worker which i turned down but 2 weeks before the season started i wanted to get on the field so bad that i asked if I could still play. It was the 2nd week of the season I was in the middle of the game and I see the most beatiful woman i ever laid eyes on in the stands (now my wife). So was it destiny not to go to florida? did I create my path?? I dont believe so. I believe I have no idea what my destiny is. I do believe while on the path to it though I am in charge of making the smartest decisions I believe to be possible. Once i lost baseball, bodybuilding became my passion, obsession, and new goal. I want nothing more than to have my own black cardillo weight belt with my last name on the back with the words "ifbb pro" underneath. will I get there? I think so, i have the drive and determination. I have the mental toughness to do what is needed to do what i believe i need to do to get there. But does that mean that this future i hope for is concrete, or that I control wheather or not i get there? No. I have no control over if I make it to the pro ranks or not, for anything at any time could happen between now in then. But I also acknowledge that I have the freedom to put myself in the best position possible to fulfill my goal of becoming a pro one day by training right, eating right, and making sure i take every step necessary to do so as long as i am able to.

Universal Rep
05-03-12, 3:41 pm
A friend a mine who loves playin on his computer used to play some game called Sims or sumthin like that. He could control all the characters in the game and make 'em do things. Id ask him why he played that so much and he said he wasnt sure. Like Ox said, I think people like the idea of feelin like they're in control of themselves and the world around them. This is a comfortin illusion. But this illusion causes people to be shocked when tragedies occur, or to question why. Sometimes, there is no answer to the why. It just is. So its about letting go of that and accepting that ya can only do so much. It's like that sayin, the more ya learn, the less ya know. Gettin used to knowin less and controllin less, that's the tricky part.

kcburrows
05-03-12, 3:47 pm
A friend a mine who loves playin on his computer used to play some game called Sims or sumthin like that. He could control all the characters in the game and make 'em do things. Id ask him why he played that so much and he said he wasnt sure. Like Ox said, I think people like the idea of feelin like they're in control of themselves and the world around them. This is a comfortin illusion. But this illusion causes people to be shocked when tragedies occur, or to question why. Sometimes, there is no answer to the why. It just is. So its about letting go of that and accepting that ya can only do so much. It's like that sayin, the more ya learn, the less ya know. Gettin used to knowin less and controllin less, that's the tricky part.

Completely agree...its like the old addage you can never learn too much. And what sad is a lot of these people will play mind tricks on themselves instead of facing that they cant control everything they'll twist it around to make themselves believe they can

Universal Rep
05-03-12, 3:50 pm
Completely agree...its like the old addage you can never learn too much. And what sad is a lot of these people will play mind tricks on themselves instead of facing that they cant control everything they'll twist it around to make themselves believe they can

Dont get me wrong. I think there's also truth to this idea that where there's a will, there's a way... Truth is, if ya don't want sumthin bad enough, chances for achieving that are slimmer. Now if ya work hard, does it mean you'll achieve it for sure? Nope. But ur odds just got that much better...

Ox
05-03-12, 3:59 pm
There are way too many forces at work for any man to believe that it is he and only he who determines his fate! Call it God, The Universe, Kharma, being in the right place at the right time/being in the wrong place at the wrong time, luck etc etc etc...there is NO WAY to tell the future or be wise enough to KNOW what path you are meant to take. Even if you go down a path and it works out really well, who is to say that it was THE path for you? It's like a woman you love...is she the only one on this Earth for you? Maybe in your mind she is and maybe there is no one else you want or could ever picture yourself with...but that doesn't mean that out there, there isn't another woman who you could love. Whether it's love, your life's path or anything else really, how could you ever claim to KNOW what is the single best road to go down? It would be impossible to simply enumerate all the possibilities let alone know which choice is THE best. But even if you could determine all that, to say that you and only you were responsible for the outcome is preposterous. There are way too many variables and forces at work for anyone to take that kind of credit.

At best, all you can do is wholeheartedly go after something you believe in.

Universal Rep
05-03-12, 4:02 pm
There are way too many forces at work for any man to believe that it is he and only he who determines his fate! Call it God, The Universe, Kharma, being in the right place at the right time/being in the wrong place at the wrong time, luck etc etc etc...there is NO WAY to tell the future or be wise enough to KNOW what path you are meant to take. Even if you go down a path and it works out really well, who is to say that it was THE path for you? It's like a woman you love...is she the only one on this Earth for you? Maybe in your mind she is and maybe there is no one else you want or could ever picture yourself with...but that doesn't mean that out there, there isn't another woman who you could love. Whether it's love, your life's path or anything else really, how could you ever claim to KNOW what is the single best road to go down? It would be impossible to simply enumerate all the possibilities let alone know which choice is THE best. But even if you could determine all that, to say that you and only you were responsible for the outcome is preposterous. There are way too many variables and forces at work for anyone to take that kind of credit.

I think ur right about love... It's this whole idea of "true love". Ya see it everyone, greeting cards on Valentine's Day, in the movies, the magazines, TV shows... Everywhere. Yet look at our society. More than half the people who marry get divorced. So much for true love.

Mr. Dead
05-03-12, 4:09 pm
I think ur right about love... It's this whole idea of "true love". Ya see it everyone, greeting cards on Valentine's Day, in the movies, the magazines, TV shows... Everywhere. Yet look at our society. More than half the people who marry get divorced. So much for true love.

Or it's simply a case of laziness, lack of communication, and a "throw away" society... Too many people, especially younger ones, don't understand that relationships take work and effort... As time goes on, people change, their needs change, and if they don't communicate and work together true love or not it's over... And, I did marry my true love... (Granted dd2inxs and myself are going on 22 years together and 17 years of marriage...)

naturalguy
05-03-12, 4:20 pm

Good point!

C.Coronato
05-03-12, 4:26 pm

I think that is what most people are seeking. Truth, trust, or simply something to believe in. Good words my brother.

G Diesel
05-03-12, 4:37 pm
Destiny, by its very definition, is out of our hands.

That said, I have grown more and more comfortable as I've aged and experienced some shit, to put faith in myself. Staying on track, moving in the direction of our dreams, making positive investments in ourselves and our futures, working hard, staying positive, being tenacious, to a certain extent, are states of being predicated on decisions we make each morning when we get out of bed. In that way, we have many small chances to exact control over that which is controllable.

I try my best not to judge others and their situations too harshly, but I know we're often measured best by how we deal with obstacles, conflict, failure and loss. When we are fundamentally challenged by life or fate or karma, or whatever, is often when opportunities present themselves to determine our course big picture.

I think the key is to stay true to yourself, keep an open mind and to do your best to seize opportunities as they present themselves. As we do this, we add to the tool box of our lives, we grow and we parlay past experiences and current situations into new and better possibilities for the future.

If you believe yourself, your goals and your motivations to be fundamentally pure and good, and are confident in your abilities to do better and be better, I think ego can be a great thing.

Peace, G

Cellardweller
05-03-12, 6:39 pm
"Letís face facts; there are things which you are not in control of. You canít control the weather or other forces of nature or acts of God. And if you canít control those things then there are plenty of other things you cannot control"

This takes me back to when I used to play football and I'd like to add judges and referees to the list. My son plays hockey. Sometimes he'll complain that they lost because the refs sucked. You can't control the refs (or judges) and they can make it tougher for you, but you can put the puck in the net. If you don't put the puck in the net, you loose.

Here's an Animal quote from the Bible, "God only helps those who help themselves." It goes right up there with "the hardest lift you'll ever make is your ass off the couch." You can't sit on your can with a tub of ice cream and pray to be lean and buff. You have to go out and do it. Work, sacrafice and work some more or your dreams won't come true. It might be your destiny to be Mr Olympia, but it ain't going to happen unless you earn it. Nothing worth having just drops into your lap.

That's why I play the lottery LOL.

zubda345
05-04-12, 12:55 am
everyone on this thread has the same opinion and point of view... and that is "we need to go after what we want, but some times we might not get it, sometimes shit happens and we have to let it go" this is something beyond the control of a man... We can't control everything. Life is hard... we have to work for what we want, if we get it we get it... If we don't.... well, we didn't...

I always wanted to be a pro wrestler... since I was 5 or 6 prolly. and I have told this earlier that seeing those wrestlers is what got me into bodybuilding... I was born in this 3rd world country it's been too much problems every day... When we were gonna get out of here. Shit happened, Mom died... couldn't got out. Too much financial probs and all. It's hard to get out of here and persuade what I want. I can't get into American football. No boxing clubs. No wrestling schools. when I thought I might get a free tryout of mma for a week if I fought. about 2 days before that I got a major issue in my back couldn't get there.. Now I was fully, mentally prepared for the fight and was also fit 2 days before the event but shit happened, pain just came, father had to go out out city for some office work so I just couldn't go....

it's just a long story short I described. and It's only one of my life... There's too much of this happened to me alot of time regarding almost everything...

But still I have hopes and I am doing all I can to be what I want.... We must not quit but just keep going... a teacher once told me hell he told the whole class but I don't think anyone listened that, he said "look son, if u want something go after it, do all u can, but if u don't get it or it don't happen... Always remember it didn't happen because of a reason... Almighty has something better planned for you..."

G Diesel
05-04-12, 9:17 am
everyone on this thread has the same opinion and point of view... and that is "we need to go after what we want, but some times we might not get it, sometimes shit happens and we have to let it go" this is something beyond the control of a man... We can't control everything. Life is hard... we have to work for what we want, if we get it we get it... If we don't.... well, we didn't...

I always wanted to be a pro wrestler... since I was 5 or 6 prolly. and I have told this earlier that seeing those wrestlers is what got me into bodybuilding... I was born in this 3rd world country it's been too much problems every day... When we were gonna get out of here. Shit happened, Mom died... couldn't got out. Too much financial probs and all. It's hard to get out of here and persuade what I want. I can't get into American football. No boxing clubs. No wrestling schools. when I thought I might get a free tryout of mma for a week if I fought. about 2 days before that I got a major issue in my back couldn't get there.. Now I was fully, mentally prepared for the fight and was also fit 2 days before the event but shit happened, pain just came, father had to go out out city for some office work so I just couldn't go....

it's just a long story short I described. and It's only one of my life... There's too much of this happened to me alot of time regarding almost everything...

But still I have hopes and I am doing all I can to be what I want.... We must not quit but just keep going... a teacher once told me hell he told the whole class but I don't think anyone listened that, he said "look son, if u want something go after it, do all u can, but if u don't get it or it don't happen... Always remember it didn't happen because of a reason... Almighty has something better planned for you..."

I do not have the same opinion or point of view as everyone else in this thread, actually.

I submit for the consideration of the court that "Plan B" should be "die trying". Sure, some things are out of our control, but we should do our best to dominate everything else.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 11:14 am
I do not have the same opinion or point of view as everyone else in this thread, actually.

I submit for the consideration of the court that "Plan B" should be "die trying". Sure, some things are out of our control, but we should do our best to dominate everything else.

Peace, G

I don't think Ox is sayin that he's not givin it 100%, is he? He's just sayin there needs to be a greater awareness of one limitations despite havin all ur chips on the table...

G Diesel
05-04-12, 11:30 am
I don't think Ox is sayin that he's not givin it 100%, is he? He's just sayin there needs to be a greater awareness of one limitations despite havin all ur chips on the table...

Agreed. Yes, that is obviously the case.

I was just saying that I disagreed with some of the laissez faire, "that's life", predestination opinions I was reading and pointed out that my response was slightly different and nuanced.

Peace, G

Mr. Dead
05-04-12, 11:35 am

I was just saying that I disagreed with some of the laissez faire, "that's life", predestination opinions I was reading and pointed out that my response was slightly different and nuanced.

Peace, G

Were I to have such a view... I would surely abandon my quest, as the odds are stacked greatly in front of me... But... I am aware of outside factors that could wipe it all away in an instant...

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 11:38 am

Peace, G

Oh ya mean from the members in this thread... Ok, gotcha.

G Diesel
05-04-12, 11:46 am
Were I to have such a view... I would surely abandon my quest, as the odds are stacked greatly in front of me... But... I am aware of outside factors that could wipe it all away in an instant...

Of course, we're all fallible, finite beings living in a big, often dangerous and cold world, and as such we're all vulnerable to such outside factors. So in a way, you've gotta say, fuck it, go for yours and make the best of whatever time, energy and resources we've got.

Peace, G

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:02 pm
Oh ya mean from the members in this thread... Ok, gotcha.

Yes. But I also think it took Ox a certain amount of ego to write that article. Not to say that is a bad thing.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 12:04 pm
Yes. But I also think it took Ox a certain amount of ego to write that article. Not to say that is a bad thing.

Peace, G

Fine line between ego and confidence... Suppose it depends on how ya read, eh? A specific line ur referrin to?

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:13 pm
Fine line between ego and confidence... Suppose it depends on how ya read, eh? A specific line ur referrin to?

"You may want it to be one thing or another or truly believe it should be this or that but you have no way to know. Iíve sat and listened to people tell me they were supposed to be something in life other than what they became. If you were supposed to be what you thought, then you would be just that... Why do some people insist that it is they and only they who are responsible for their success or failure? I imagine that the reason they do it is to feel empowered. But what is more empowering than the recognition that your life will go exactly as it is meant to? I cannot imagine anything less degrading than refusing to acknowledge that perhaps Iím not meant for that which I believed I was. Halfway through life and chasing a dream that seems to elude you to the same degree which you pursue it is a bad place to be. I could only imagine feeling powerless."

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 12:19 pm
"You may want it to be one thing or another or truly believe it should be this or that but you have no way to know. Iíve sat and listened to people tell me they were supposed to be something in life other than what they became. If you were supposed to be what you thought, then you would be just that... Why do some people insist that it is they and only they who are responsible for their success or failure? I imagine that the reason they do it is to feel empowered. But what is more empowering than the recognition that your life will go exactly as it is meant to? I cannot imagine anything less degrading than refusing to acknowledge that perhaps Iím not meant for that which I believed I was. Halfway through life and chasing a dream that seems to elude you to the same degree which you pursue it is a bad place to be. I could only imagine feeling powerless."

Peace, G

Bitter? Mebbe. But its truth as far as Im concerned. See, I think one of biggest tricks in life is knowin the difference between havin realistic dreams and unrealistic fantasies. To me, this is like a metaphor for liftin itself. See, the lifter who toils daily in the gym is gonna succeed when he understands how to put together realistic goals that allow him to reach a dream in the future. Too often, too many beginner have these crazy, unrealistic fantasies. Often, these same fellas are lookin for shortcuts or magic bullets and want results in a week or a month. That's pure fantasy. Wut ya always have to know AND accept is that ya may not achieve your goals. But... Is ur goal a dream or a fantasy? Knowin the difference is wut I think Ox is sayin...

I guess the question is, who should, if anyone, tell some folks that?

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:25 pm
Bitter? Mebbe. But its truth as far as Im concerned. See, I think one of biggest tricks in life is knowin the difference between havin realistic dreams and unrealistic fantasies. To me, this is like a metaphor for liftin itself. See, the lifter who toils daily in the gym is gonna succeed when he understands how to put together realistic goals that allow him to reach a dream in the future. Too often, too many beginner have these crazy, unrealistic fantasies. Often, these same fellas are lookin for shortcuts or magic bullets and want results in a week or a month. That's pure fantasy. Wut ya always have to know AND accept is that ya may not achieve your goals. But... Is ur goal a dream or a fantasy? Knowin the difference is wut I think Ox is sayin...

Is what or who bitter?

This sort of thinking reminds me of this...
"Predestination, in theology, is the doctrine that all events have been willed by God. John Calvin interpreted biblical predestination to mean that God willed eternal damnation for some people and salvation for others."

If shit will just be the way it is gonna be, what drives anyone to do better? What keeps anyone from just being a prick? Why be a good neighbor or good person? Why work hard or strive? No matter what you do, your destiny is what it is, right?

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 12:27 pm
Is what or who bitter?

This sort of thinking reminds me of this...
"Predestination, in theology, is the doctrine that all events have been willed by God. John Calvin interpreted biblical predestination to mean that God willed eternal damnation for some people and salvation for others."

If shit will just be the way it is gonna be, what drives anyone to do better? What keeps anyone from just being a prick? Why be a good neighbor or good person? Why work hard or strive? No matter what you do, your destiny is what it is, right?

Peace, G

Knowin that sometimes, ya just never ain't become who think you are or wanna be... That's the bitter truth.

I don't think Ox is sayin that things are just gonna be one way for ya and that's it...

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:34 pm
I guess the question is, who should, if anyone, tell some folks that?

Not sure, but probably not you, me or Ox.

We're all on our own journeys with our own life expectations. And sure, not everyone will reach the mountaintop. But it is in the effort and the process that we become who we are.

With your example of lifting goals, I say possibly a young kid sees Kevin Levrone in a bbing magazine and sets his life to becoming just like that. Is it reasonable or realistic to you and me? Maybe not. But maybe that image pushes that kid to do the million little things, the tiny objectives, day in and day out for a decade to make incremental progress towards that ultimate goal. Then one day, even if he isn't the best bodybuilder in the world, he has come so much further than he ever would have, were he not driven by that motivation and vision.

Many suggest that people all need to be more realistic and I think in many cases that is true. But I also believe that being tethered to this realism can often limit our growth and potential.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 12:39 pm
Not sure, but probably not you, me or Ox.

We're all on our own journeys with our own life expectations. And sure, not everyone will reach the mountaintop. But it is in the effort and the process that we become who we are.

With your example of lifting goals, I say possibly a young kid sees Kevin Levrone in a bbing magazine and sets his life to becoming just like that. Is it reasonable or realistic to you and me? Maybe not. But maybe that image pushes that kid to do the million little things, the tiny objectives, day in and day out for a decade to make incremental progress towards that ultimate goal. Then one day, even if he isn't the best bodybuilder in the world, he has come so much further than he ever would have, were he not driven by that motivation and vision.

Many suggest that people all need to be more realistic and I think in many cases that is true. But I also believe that being tethered to this realism can often limit our growth and potential.

Peace, G

Haha, def not me... That's not the kinda thing ya do. But sadly or not, it's usually easier to spot from the outside... We're all less objective about ourselves and it's far easier to fool ourselves about things.

I dont disagree with you. Ur example with KL is a good one. But to me, that's again the difference between dream and fantasy. Inherent in a dream is this idea that you shouldn't limit yourself to wut ya know or what ya think. But lets say I'm 5'2" and I wanna grow up to play in the NBA as a center. That, my friend, is a fantasy... Dig?

Anybody out there. feel free to jump on in and help me out here, haha...

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:42 pm
Haha, def not me... That's not the kinda thing ya do. But sadly or not, it's usually easier to spot from the outside... We're all less objective about ourselves and it's far easier to fool ourselves about things.

I dont disagree with you. Ur example with KL is a good one. But to me, that's again the difference between dream and fantasy. Inherent in a dream is this idea that you shouldn't limit yourself to wut ya know or what ya think. But lets say I'm 5'2" and I wanna grow up to play in the NBA as a center. That, my friend, is a fantasy... Dig?

I dig. That would be a fantasy. Good distinction.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 12:48 pm
I dig. That would be a fantasy. Good distinction.

Peace, G

In the middle, where they meet... Its a fine line and really, really fuzzy. At the extremes, its easy. So to dream and dream big, thats a good thing and it could keep us strivin for better and progress. But unfettered? It could be unrealistic, negative fantasy IMHO...

G Diesel
05-04-12, 12:54 pm
In the middle, where they meet... Its a fine line and really, really fuzzy. At the extremes, its easy. So to dream and dream big, thats a good thing and it could keep us strivin for better and progress. But unfettered? It could be unrealistic, negative fantasy IMHO...

I believe in a healthy amount of fettering. It is like metaphysical resistance training.

Peace, G

chasebayne
05-04-12, 1:26 pm
this article is definitely in my top 3 favorites. dealing with the shit storm i have been lately it kind of lifted a big weight off my shoulders. like shit happens, and fortunately it doesn't only happen to me. all i've wanted since i was 19 was to be an EOD tech, putting my self through the ringer to get back in shape so i could rejoin the army. then i got really really sick, and the result of the illness created a health problem that prevents me from ever being in the military again. after reading "your ego is not your amigo" i feel infinitely better. maybe i wasn't meant to be military, that being the case, there is nothing stopping me from becoming the biggest freak i can be. this article didn't really put my ego in check so much as just open my eyes. i don't have to worry about staying below 174# if i don't want to.
Do Ox and the others know how much their articles affect us, not just in the gym, but in our whole lives?

zubda345
05-04-12, 2:54 pm

Peace, G

I have seen people DIE TRYING but still not getting what they want... ofcourse that's also what my mind would say, I would die trying to get what I want...

G Diesel
05-04-12, 3:09 pm
I have seen people DIE TRYING but still not getting what they want... ofcourse that's also what my mind would say, I would die trying to get what I want...

They are very noble individuals, and while I'm sure their days were at times marked by frustration and struggle, there is something beautiful about that kind of determination and tenacity, no?

I admire anyone who bravely travels in the direction of their dreams, regardless of obstacles and undeterred by destiny. I mean, after all, this is our life we're talking about here. The only one we've got. Could the stakes be any higher?

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 3:47 pm
I believe in a healthy amount of fettering. It is like metaphysical resistance training.

Peace, G

Haha, yeah... Ya need fetterin to know wut it means to be unfettered...

Do Ox and the others know how much their articles affect us, not just in the gym, but in our whole lives?

Def tell him... He's readin this thread.

Chivalry
05-05-12, 9:46 pm
I keep thinking back to Bruce Lee's quote "Be like Water," with how Ox ended that article. When things are taken out of our grasp and squashed or thrown in a complete 180 compared to where we were headed, we've gotta be able to adapt, change, and plow forward with our goals even if how we reach them is completely different than how we imagined them. Life is often what we're given and what we make of each success or failure we're presented with, whether they are by our hand or not. Ox pretty much hits the nail on the head with his words. We can't expect shit to go as we plan it to, but only that we've gotta be able to adapt to what is thrown at us.

Great article, Ox.

Beowulf
05-07-12, 4:08 pm
I keep thinking back to Bruce Lee's quote "Be like Water," with how Ox ended that article. When things are taken out of our grasp and squashed or thrown in a complete 180 compared to where we were headed, we've gotta be able to adapt, change, and plow forward with our goals even if how we reach them is completely different than how we imagined them. Life is often what we're given and what we make of each success or failure we're presented with, whether they are by our hand or not. Ox pretty much hits the nail on the head with his words. We can't expect shit to go as we plan it to, but only that we've gotta be able to adapt to what is thrown at us.

Great article, Ox.

Think that sums it up. Be in the driver's seat, but understand that you aren't always driving the car.