PDA

View Full Version : Get At Me

Pages : [1] 2

P Diesel
05-03-12, 4:55 pm
what up fellas, P Diesel here. my approach to training is hard and heavy.

as far as training and body type ive done most all of it. from an athletic 290 during football to a monsterous 340 at the height of my strongman career, then a lean 260 post back surgery and now bulking to get my size back.

professionally i was previously the a director of sports performance at a personal training center for a number of years and now coach teenage boys in powerlifting. on a side note i graduated college with two degrees one being in nutrition and dietetics.

injuries? u name it ...

i feel as thought i have a wealth of knowledge to impart on those willing. itll be straight no bullshit real life talk.

P ... out

Universal Rep
05-03-12, 5:13 pm
Lookin good, P...

Aggression
05-03-12, 5:16 pm
I see many people learning many things from you, P.

Solid Dreams
05-03-12, 5:19 pm
With the degrees, do you have any suggestions if someone wants to start getting serious in the training others/learning more about the body aspect of lifting weights and things of that nature?

What did you do to work up to those massive deads? Formwise, I mean.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
05-03-12, 5:41 pm
What are your techniques on avoiding creepy older women at fitness expos?

P Diesel
05-04-12, 1:40 am
What are your techniques on avoiding creepy older women at fitness expos?

it seems like going to the hospital while throwing up blood diverts them reasonably well. until u return to the expo that is

P

P Diesel
05-04-12, 1:50 am
With the degrees, do you have any suggestions if someone wants to start getting serious in the training others/learning more about the body aspect of lifting weights and things of that nature?

What did you do to work up to those massive deads? Formwise, I mean.

brotha, i think most would suggest a certification to train...i personally think they are a load of shit. they teach u little to nothing. the nsca may be the exception. in any event the majority of my knowledge came from being in the gym. the other shit came from always asking questions about things i was interested in when i was in college. for instance i was just telling sumone tonight about how ammonia works for lifters and why we use it. that knowledge came from my organic chem/biochem professor. i needed to know before i started using it so i asked and we broke it down scientifically.

it may not b the easiest or the most cost effective but as far as body system maybe take a class at a local college or communtiy college Anatomy and Physiology I and II. not easy courses but extremely beneficial in understnading ur body, how it works and moves.

as far as deads ... i do sumthin for my lower back and core every day, as well as an exercise to increase my explosiveness. deads should b VIOLENT. lower back hypers, good mornings, hip thrusts, cleans, snatches, lock outs. the stronger my lower back the easier it is for me to keep 'good' form. hamstrings and rear delt exercises. and also breaking down the movement by deloading using bands and chains. rack deads as well. i have a short vid of sum reverse band deads here ... http://youtu.be/QIVb12ovTQU

P

05-04-12, 9:36 am
Do you prefer Vegas or Columbus bathroom water?

05-04-12, 9:40 am
brotha, i think most would suggest a certification to train...i personally think they are a load of shit. they teach u little to nothing. the nsca may be the exception. in any event the majority of my knowledge came from being in the gym. the other shit came from always asking questions about things i was interested in when i was in college. for instance i was just telling sumone tonight about how ammonia works for lifters and why we use it. that knowledge came from my organic chem/biochem professor. i needed to know before i started using it so i asked and we broke it down scientifically.

it may not b the easiest or the most cost effective but as far as body system maybe take a class at a local college or communtiy college Anatomy and Physiology I and II. not easy courses but extremely beneficial in understnading ur body, how it works and moves.

as far as deads ... i do sumthin for my lower back and core every day, as well as an exercise to increase my explosiveness. deads should b VIOLENT. lower back hypers, good mornings, hip thrusts, cleans, snatches, lock outs. the stronger my lower back the easier it is for me to keep 'good' form. hamstrings and rear delt exercises. and also breaking down the movement by deloading using bands and chains. rack deads as well. i have a short vid of sum reverse band deads here ... http://youtu.be/QIVb12ovTQU

P

I agree 100%. I started an online certification class and it was total bullshit. Nothing relevant or actually worthwhile. My anatomy/physiology classes are packed with great info, plus physiology professors love talking shop with athletes. Great post P.

HIGA MONSTER
05-04-12, 10:24 am
Post of the year.

I just woke up and read that on my phone.
Laughed so fuckin hard that I woke up Ben Seath's momma next to me in bed...

Universal Rep
05-04-12, 11:39 am
it seems like going to the hospital while throwing up blood diverts them reasonably well. until u return to the expo that is

P

Haha.

Mr. Dead
05-04-12, 11:53 am
Do the anabolic properties of water vary from "Men's Room" to "Men's Room"...??? Or is it strictly the water from the "Men's Room" at the Arnold expo...???

P Diesel
05-04-12, 11:56 am

Vegas hands down. HIGA is gna give it a try this year

P

P Diesel
05-04-12, 11:57 am
Do the anabolic properties of water vary from "Men's Room" to "Men's Room"...??? Or is it strictly the water from the "Men's Room" at the Arnold expo...???

the larger the expo the more anabolism :) too much at the arnold. Vegas goes down much smoother

P

Mr. Dead
05-04-12, 11:58 am
the larger the expo the more anabolism :) too much at the arnold. Vegas goes down much smoother

P

Got it... I have yet to experience the Vegas venue...

PITBULL
05-06-12, 7:24 pm
What kind of back surgery did you have done P? And what do you recommend doing to improve it since your surgery? I had microdisectomy back in 2008 and just seriously got back in the gym last August. I have made serious improvements already but would like to get my back stronger. I am able to do some dead lifts from the ground and some decent rack deads but I want more. I know you mentioned core and I am seriously lacking there as well. Recommendations?

P Diesel
05-06-12, 11:48 pm
What kind of back surgery did you have done P? And what do you recommend doing to improve it since your surgery? I had microdisectomy back in 2008 and just seriously got back in the gym last August. I have made serious improvements already but would like to get my back stronger. I am able to do some dead lifts from the ground and some decent rack deads but I want more. I know you mentioned core and I am seriously lacking there as well. Recommendations?

PIT,

i had a microdiscectomy as well. im sure u know from having the surgery there are many different avenues and types of this surgery. they removed a significant portion of my L5-S1 disc and shaved down my L4-L5.

it was around a 10 years injury in the making, senior year of high school football was the starting point with a bulging disc. years of strongman exasperated the situation. i actually went to my surgeon after i got home from the Golden State Strongman 2009 in fresno california for a torn bicep i suffered by way of the atlas stones. asked the doc to take a look at my lower back and hamstring. when he returned with the MRI and xrays he asked if i had been in a car accident recently. i had 2 bulging discs, a herniated disc and L5-S1 was ruptured completely, oh and 2 fractured vertebrae. took a solid year and a lot of bullshit before i setteld on the surgeon. drs are so scared of their own fuckin shadow no one would touch me.

gotta say, im two years out this month, and i have had great success with it(knock on wood). i know u want to get back into the heavy lifts and start pushin weight for real brotha. my recomendation is to take a solid year of focusing on building ur core and small muscles surrounding the spine. as u know they had to cut through all of he muscle in ur lower back and suture it level by level on the way out. not onky dos it take time, but scar tissue builds up so focusing on building that area is essential, starting lite.

lower back hypers are a must ... slow controlled movements with no weight 6 sets of 20 ... adding weight perhaps on a bi weekly basis. core work every day, keep it new and fresh....dnt let ur abs adapt to the training. keep ur top loading to strict form. they told me never to squat, dead, clean or over head press again. well after dr ordered rehab and my year of self imposed rehab i started doing all of them again lite weight, strict form. u WILL b stronger for it in the long run. it is a long road brotha and its not easy. i had to humble myself a lot.

P

GUNS
05-07-12, 7:43 am
Laughed so fuckin hard that I woke up Ben Seath's momma next to me in bed...Bahahahaha!

Wht up P! Finding all sorts of great stuff in here from you. I think we talked about it a long time ago, but in the same boat, I think my whole body has been injured at one point and the same back inj as you in 2001 ish! Finally got fixed up in 2006 and it has been a fucking bitch of a recovery. I need to get into more core work as I only hit it a few times a week.

Great having you here and keep all the great posts coming! Are you going to be logging any of your daily food intake and any of your workouts. Vids? G

P Diesel
05-07-12, 2:33 pm
Bahahahaha!

Wht up P! Finding all sorts of great stuff in here from you. I think we talked about it a long time ago, but in the same boat, I think my whole body has been injured at one point and the same back inj as you in 2001 ish! Finally got fixed up in 2006 and it has been a fucking bitch of a recovery. I need to get into more core work as I only hit it a few times a week.

Great having you here and keep all the great posts coming! Are you going to be logging any of your daily food intake and any of your workouts. Vids? G

haha yea we've def spoke about it before .. and yea im gna have vids and daily updates of training and food for sho. my computer is slightly fucked at the moment. i saw sum questionable pictures of HIGA and Seath together and prally caught a virus. but will have them shortly bro.

thanks always for the support GUNS

P

Big Wides
05-07-12, 2:58 pm
i'm in for the ride

GUNS
05-07-12, 3:36 pm
thanks always for the support GUNS

P

You know it P!

P Diesel
05-08-12, 12:29 am
i'm in for the ride

great to have u wides! we gotta train soon

P

Appollonian
05-08-12, 7:48 am
P I already subbed just wanted to say that video of you and Higa pulling 500 for reps while sick was amazing. Your story is inspirational and recovery from injury/surgery speaks to me; in for the ride if it's OK.

I have a question about rehab on a torn hamstring that is currently a chronic injury that is slowly getting better: I consulted a doctor a few months ago and he said as I get closer to being healed, I should included strengthening exercises but didn't specify all the types I should do. Right now I can do deadlifts/squats at about 60-70% my previous working weight for reps with no aggravation to the muscle. What I be better off doing this while I heal, or just avoid compound movement and do isolation exercises until I am ~100%?

smoothballer
05-08-12, 8:01 am
What would be your reaction to elevators doors opening only to find a massive tattooed man passed out on the floor?

PITBULL
05-08-12, 3:45 pm
PIT,

i had a microdiscectomy as well. im sure u know from having the surgery there are many different avenues and types of this surgery. they removed a significant portion of my L5-S1 disc and shaved down my L4-L5.

it was around a 10 years injury in the making, senior year of high school football was the starting point with a bulging disc. years of strongman exasperated the situation. i actually went to my surgeon after i got home from the Golden State Strongman 2009 in fresno california for a torn bicep i suffered by way of the atlas stones. asked the doc to take a look at my lower back and hamstring. when he returned with the MRI and xrays he asked if i had been in a car accident recently. i had 2 bulging discs, a herniated disc and L5-S1 was ruptured completely, oh and 2 fractured vertebrae. took a solid year and a lot of bullshit before i setteld on the surgeon. drs are so scared of their own fuckin shadow no one would touch me.

gotta say, im two years out this month, and i have had great success with it(knock on wood). i know u want to get back into the heavy lifts and start pushin weight for real brotha. my recomendation is to take a solid year of focusing on building ur core and small muscles surrounding the spine. as u know they had to cut through all of he muscle in ur lower back and suture it level by level on the way out. not onky dos it take time, but scar tissue builds up so focusing on building that area is essential, starting lite.

lower back hypers are a must ... slow controlled movements with no weight 6 sets of 20 ... adding weight perhaps on a bi weekly basis. core work every day, keep it new and fresh....dnt let ur abs adapt to the training. keep ur top loading to strict form. they told me never to squat, dead, clean or over head press again. well after dr ordered rehab and my year of self imposed rehab i started doing all of them again lite weight, strict form. u WILL b stronger for it in the long run. it is a long road brotha and its not easy. i had to humble myself a lot.

P

P,

I had the same area operated on only they removed my L5 and shaved down my L4 or vice versa. Don't have the paper work in front of me but you know. I found it odd that they didn't put anything back in but was told I was young enough that scar tissue would take the place of the removed disc. Not sure if thats good or bad? Its going on 4 years for me in August. You say dedicating a whole year to my core and the surrounding areas but is it too late for that being that its been almost 4 years? I was told that Id never run, jog, lift, contact sports ect. Well FUCK YOU Doc! Look at me now! I am currently overseas with GUNS and he has been training me since last August but I am due to depart back to the states Saturday. I owe him a great debt for what he has given and shown me. He is about the only living proof of my ability in the gym now and its going to suck not having him in the gym any more. He too has gone through the back trouble so he has groomed me around it all. Hearing you have got through it and seeing what you are now is a huge inspiration. You're fucking sick and I'd like to idolize you and try to gain the physique you have. (NO ****) IM definitely along for the ride bro!

P Diesel
05-08-12, 10:26 pm
P I already subbed just wanted to say that video of you and Higa pulling 500 for reps while sick was amazing. Your story is inspirational and recovery from injury/surgery speaks to me; in for the ride if it's OK.

I have a question about rehab on a torn hamstring that is currently a chronic injury that is slowly getting better: I consulted a doctor a few months ago and he said as I get closer to being healed, I should included strengthening exercises but didn't specify all the types I should do. Right now I can do deadlifts/squats at about 60-70% my previous working weight for reps with no aggravation to the muscle. What I be better off doing this while I heal, or just avoid compound movement and do isolation exercises until I am ~100%?

yo bro,

thank u, we tried to get it in as much as possible. turned out to be a spectacle. as far as i go, theres no quit inside me, never has been never will b.

it depends on if it was a rupture or a tear. if it was a tear the percentage torn effects the healing much more. i would not avoid compound movements. tears are funny; if it's not a complete tear, once the discoloration and swelling go away the rule is if it doesnt hurt go with it. i wouldnt be going for one rep max by any means. a solid dynamic warm up to bring blood to the area before training is a must. do not let it get tight on u. therapy type stretches post workout are essential. you dnt want to let scar tissue build up.

i am getting over a pec rupture still from last august. remember this game is about longevity and how we come off these set backs. bein smart is easier said than done haha.

P

P Diesel
05-08-12, 10:28 pm
What would be your reaction to elevators doors opening only to find a massive tattooed man passed out on the floor?

honestly, thinkin about it the lady, from wht i remember, took it reasonably well. almost like she had seen it before haha. too bad i have no clue who she is. id like to give her a hug or a cookie or sumthin

P

P Diesel
05-08-12, 10:37 pm
P,

I had the same area operated on only they removed my L5 and shaved down my L4 or vice versa. Don't have the paper work in front of me but you know. I found it odd that they didn't put anything back in but was told I was young enough that scar tissue would take the place of the removed disc. Not sure if thats good or bad? Its going on 4 years for me in August. You say dedicating a whole year to my core and the surrounding areas but is it too late for that being that its been almost 4 years? I was told that Id never run, jog, lift, contact sports ect. Well FUCK YOU Doc! Look at me now! I am currently overseas with GUNS and he has been training me since last August but I am due to depart back to the states Saturday. I owe him a great debt for what he has given and shown me. He is about the only living proof of my ability in the gym now and its going to suck not having him in the gym any more. He too has gone through the back trouble so he has groomed me around it all. Hearing you have got through it and seeing what you are now is a huge inspiration. You're fucking sick and I'd like to idolize you and try to gain the physique you have. (NO ****) IM definitely along for the ride bro!

PIT,

GUNS is a wealth of knowledge and a brotha i have respected alot talkin to through the years. i cannot express in words the debt all of us back in the states owe u guys for doin what u do over there man. for letting me persue my dreams and live a free life. thank u

as far as ur back goes, year the year i dedicated to my core and lighter weights was emediately following my surgery. u are way further passed that. continue the training that u and GUNS have been doing but incorporate lower back and core specific moves, every day, for the rest of ur life. a lifter is nuthin without his core. sooo grab that stability ball hit it up. do sum reverse hypers and when it lower back is feelin real solid strt doin good morning with strict form. always be mindful of ur form, unfortunately we are only one bad lift away from bein back at sqare one.

P

GUNS
05-09-12, 2:18 am
Thanks for the props P! Pit has come along way in the time that Ive had him. As we have discussed in the Genetics thread, he was gifted with bulk. But it was a little sloppy. Good thing for him is, he tightened up, but maintained his weight, and has increased strength like crazy. I think he was having a hard time benching 225 for a few reps, Deads were non-existant, and Im pretty sure so were squats. Now he's benching mid-upper 300's, deads are looking good, and his squatting is improving nicely.

I am going to take your advice and add us in some core work more often and work up to daily. Thanks Brother!

GUNS
05-09-12, 2:22 am
remember this game is about longevity and how we come off these set backs. bein smart is easier said than done haha.

P

^^^Golden^^^

Human type Animals are of the breed of working harder not smarter! But this brotherhood of Animals are evolving nicely and realizing the whole longevity thing means using your nugget! LOL!

Kowboy
05-09-12, 9:11 am
I am in for following this. I just wanted to say thanks for the convo's at the Arnold. I pulled 405 on my deads 2 weeks ago when I was struggling w/ 315 at the Arnold. I have been focusing on what you said as well as what higa and the others said. I am also down about 20 lbs of fat so that is pretty nice as well. I know at 32 it may be a little late but I was thinking of trying some amateur strongman stuff next year. At my work I do not have access to any strongman equipment so I was wondering if you had any recommendations on that. Also do you know of any good books on training for those and also for putting on strength and size as it pertains to the diet.

Appollonian
05-09-12, 10:06 am
yo bro,

thank u, we tried to get it in as much as possible. turned out to be a spectacle. as far as i go, theres no quit inside me, never has been never will b.

it depends on if it was a rupture or a tear. if it was a tear the percentage torn effects the healing much more. i would not avoid compound movements. tears are funny; if it's not a complete tear, once the discoloration and swelling go away the rule is if it doesnt hurt go with it. i wouldnt be going for one rep max by any means. a solid dynamic warm up to bring blood to the area before training is a must. do not let it get tight on u. therapy type stretches post workout are essential. you dnt want to let scar tissue build up.

i am getting over a pec rupture still from last august. remember this game is about longevity and how we come off these set backs. bein smart is easier said than done haha.

P

Thanks for the response P. It is easier to say than to do for; this injury wouldn't be chronic if I actually took care of it when it happened. Live and learn.

I'll start incorporating lighter compound movements into my rehab program, thank you.

GUNS
05-09-12, 11:05 am
I am in for following this. I just wanted to say thanks for the convo's at the Arnold. I pulled 405 on my deads 2 weeks ago when I was struggling w/ 315 at the Arnold. I have been focusing on what you said as well as what higa and the others said. I am also down about 20 lbs of fat so that is pretty nice as well. I know at 32 it may be a little late but I was thinking of trying some amateur strongman stuff next year. At my work I do not have access to any strongman equipment so I was wondering if you had any recommendations on that. Also do you know of any good books on training for those and also for putting on strength and size as it pertains to the diet.

Its never too late!

Kowboy
05-09-12, 11:41 am
Thanks Guns, I would like to think I have a good shot at doing it. I consider myself decently strong for just really starting in to it last july/august. Just seems like now days once you hit 30 no one thinks you can do anything and everything is geared for the 24/25 year olds.

machineman
05-09-12, 12:12 pm
Thanks Guns, I would like to think I have a good shot at doing it. I consider myself decently strong for just really starting in to it last july/august. Just seems like now days once you hit 30 no one thinks you can do anything and everything is geared for the 24/25 year olds.

Hey bro....don't let them fool ya....I am going to be 37 on the 21st and am looking to do my 1st PL meet this year. If you want it, fucking go get it!

Kowboy
05-09-12, 12:44 pm
Thanks for the support, I feel better then I ever have in my life.

GUNS
05-09-12, 2:12 pm

Treb, your just getting started in this game at that age. No meaning cause you started this last year. I am 41 and the strongest I have ever been overall. And I for damn sure aint done!

Kowboy
05-09-12, 2:18 pm
Thanks man, I feel pretty good for sure. Luckily on base here I have a bunch of diesel ass dudes I use as motivation. Pretty awesome feeling since I tried to join the military and got turned down for my BMI.

Big Wides
05-10-12, 12:03 pm
What kind of work do you do for your abs? I'm looking to spice things up a bit

P Diesel
05-10-12, 1:07 pm

T,

good seein u at the A. crazy gains since then huh? sick bro. listen ur in ur prime right now so make the most fo it homey. ur muscle building year are at their peak. im just gettin into my best years which im fuckin pumped about.

P

P Diesel
05-10-12, 1:08 pm
Hey bro....don't let them fool ya....I am going to be 37 on the 21st and am looking to do my 1st PL meet this year. If you want it, fucking go get it!

go fuckin get it .. nice i like that.

P

P Diesel
05-10-12, 1:12 pm
What kind of work do you do for your abs? I'm looking to spice things up a bit

eating at nifty fifties post workout will work on ur core perfectly, stretch the abdominals Wides haha ... ummmm core every day homey sumthin different each time, volume. russian twists with 2 45's, toe tocuhes w a 45, v ups with 35 DB, stab ball will 100 lb DB ... lower back and obliques same method. u know as well as i know u aint liftin shit without a strong core

P

Solid Dreams
05-10-12, 1:16 pm
eating at nifty fifties post workout will work on ur core perfectly, stretch the abdominals Wides haha ... ummmm core every day homey sumthin different each time, volume. russian twists with 2 45's, toe tocuhes w a 45, v ups with 35 DB, stab ball will 100 lb DB ... lower back and obliques same method. u know as well as i know u aint liftin shit without a strong core

P

I never thought of toe touches as an ab exercise...the more you know, right? Thanks!

Kowboy
05-10-12, 1:22 pm
T,

good seein u at the A. crazy gains since then huh? sick bro. listen ur in ur prime right now so make the most fo it homey. ur muscle building year are at their peak. im just gettin into my best years which im fuckin pumped about.

P

Yeah I just got tired of fucking around and then watching everyone there I just knew I had to step it up. I want to come back next year and be one of the freaks at the ABC. Still gotta get a plan together after this cutting phase is over for me. Watching you throw crazy amounts of weight and being thick as hell and tall just really motivated me.

Treb

P Diesel
05-11-12, 12:34 am
I never thought of toe touches as an ab exercise...the more you know, right? Thanks!

layin flat on ur back, leg straight up in the air, 45 lb plate held in the middle, lift back off floor arms extended, touch plate to toes ... haha not fuckin real 'toe touches' hahaha

P

P Diesel
05-11-12, 12:37 am
Yeah I just got tired of fucking around and then watching everyone there I just knew I had to step it up. I want to come back next year and be one of the freaks at the ABC. Still gotta get a plan together after this cutting phase is over for me. Watching you throw crazy amounts of weight and being thick as hell and tall just really motivated me.

Treb

yes sir, grtab ahold of ur life and make it EXACTLY what u want it to b. realizing its not just gna happen was the first step. my hope for u by the time we meet next is that u surpassed me. but im gna kill myself every day from now until then ... go harder then me bro

P

Kowboy
05-11-12, 6:18 am
yes sir, grtab ahold of ur life and make it EXACTLY what u want it to b. realizing its not just gna happen was the first step. my hope for u by the time we meet next is that u surpassed me. but im gna kill myself every day from now until then ... go harder then me bro

P

I will give it my best shot. Thanks man.

Theonidus
05-17-12, 11:11 am
Just found this thread for your Q&A. I'm definitely subbed for picking your brain as I find questions.

GUNS
05-17-12, 11:20 am
P, why did you get into strongman instead of powerlifting? I know your coaching the futre powerlifters, but have you competed in any meets? - GUNS

Bruiser
05-17-12, 11:22 am
PIT,

P

This is great info P! A lot of guys don't know what real pain is when I try to tell them about my back injury/botched surgery. You should look into doing an article for Animalpak.com about what you went through. I think it would be an amazing read. I'm glad to see you're healthy and back stronger (pun fully intended).

C.Coronato
05-17-12, 11:49 am

P

Shit to look like you, alls i need is nifty 50s? Sign me up!

P Diesel
05-24-12, 8:06 pm
This is great info P! A lot of guys don't know what real pain is when I try to tell them about my back injury/botched surgery. You should look into doing an article for Animalpak.com about what you went through. I think it would be an amazing read. I'm glad to see you're healthy and back stronger (pun fully intended).

Bruiser,

I will def put that on the list for articles to write...maybe next month i will bang that one out starting with the injury itself and all that followed.

P

P Diesel
05-24-12, 8:11 pm
P, why did you get into strongman instead of powerlifting? I know your coaching the futre powerlifters, but have you competed in any meets? - GUNS

GUNS,

as far back as i can remember i was watching strongman, as a skinny ass lanky child. when my time w football was over i think that played a huge part in my decision to persue strongman. i looked at bodybuilding, strongman and powerlifting and weighed my options, always coming back to strongman as my first choice. i liked the feeling of walking into a gym, room, down teh street and know i could lift, carry or throw just about anything i found in my path haha. ive alwasy chosen strength over looks, alwasy will. shit im one big gnarly ugly fucker.

now, since of the injuries ive had i most likely will not be returning to strongman. annd funny u should ask, u may see me competing in powerlifting soon enough. ive def been kicking around the idea

P

oh and to answer ur questions ive done a handful of bullshit push pulls and charity events along those lines when i was whole. nuthin serious

machineman
05-25-12, 1:39 pm
Hey P...great info so far. I have a question. I am going to start 5-3-1 next week. I am going to give the boring but big routine a shot and see how I like it. What are 1 or 2 exercises for each lift that you feel would be a must as accessory work?

GUNS
05-25-12, 2:07 pm
GUNS,

as far back as i can remember i was watching strongman, as a skinny ass lanky child. when my time w football was over i think that played a huge part in my decision to persue strongman. i looked at bodybuilding, strongman and powerlifting and weighed my options, always coming back to strongman as my first choice. i liked the feeling of walking into a gym, room, down teh street and know i could lift, carry or throw just about anything i found in my path haha. ive alwasy chosen strength over looks, alwasy will. shit im one big gnarly ugly fucker.

now, since of the injuries ive had i most likely will not be returning to strongman. annd funny u should ask, u may see me competing in powerlifting soon enough. ive def been kicking around the idea

P

oh and to answer ur questions ive done a handful of bullshit push pulls and charity events along those lines when i was whole. nuthin serious

Amazing Journey my friend! I was never around any of this when growing up nor football! I was a late bloomer. But I was always the one people called to lift the heavy stuff, and I even made a few buck betting people on construction jobs that I could lift certain things! LOL! Really looking forward to seeing how this goes once that 300lb mark gets here and you continue your journey picking up large, heavy objects!

P Diesel
05-25-12, 10:16 pm
Hey P...great info so far. I have a question. I am going to start 5-3-1 next week. I am going to give the boring but big routine a shot and see how I like it. What are 1 or 2 exercises for each lift that you feel would be a must as accessory work?

bench squat and dead we are talkin? simply for power? core core core core core. i feel like lower back hypers, goodmornings, lamdmines, variety of abdominal work IS A MUST for all three lifts. accessory work for deads, ur lookin at hams, hip flexors, rear delts, spinae flexors. squats, much of the same, but hit those inner and outer thighs, it band, leg ext. i hate leg press, i feel like loading the bitch to 2 stacks and reppin it out used to murder my knees and take away from my squat, personal thought. bench, tris, rotator cuff, delts. accessory work is to strengthen the small muscles(secondary muscles to the lift) that stabilize and in turn strengthen ur big lifts. also done with diligence with help keep ya injury free.

P

ChalkyPalms
05-25-12, 11:10 pm
Man I wish I was over on the east coast with all the real animal brothers. This life and shit is just so legit over there. I'm not the powerlifter type, I'm an aspiring bodybuilder, but I lift as heavy as I can still. But you guys' intensity runs in my veins. Only if I could find guys like you over here!

P Diesel
05-26-12, 12:44 am
Man I wish I was over on the east coast with all the real animal brothers. This life and shit is just so legit over there. I'm not the powerlifter type, I'm an aspiring bodybuilder, but I lift as heavy as I can still. But you guys' intensity runs in my veins. Only if I could find guys like you over here!

where u located bro

P

ChalkyPalms
05-26-12, 1:06 am
where u located bro

P

Springfield, mo... There's nothing here haha I can't even get ahold of any Kansas city animals

machineman
05-26-12, 5:52 am
bench squat and dead we are talkin? simply for power? core core core core core. i feel like lower back hypers, goodmornings, lamdmines, variety of abdominal work IS A MUST for all three lifts. accessory work for deads, ur lookin at hams, hip flexors, rear delts, spinae flexors. squats, much of the same, but hit those inner and outer thighs, it band, leg ext. i hate leg press, i feel like loading the bitch to 2 stacks and reppin it out used to murder my knees and take away from my squat, personal thought. bench, tris, rotator cuff, delts. accessory work is to strengthen the small muscles(secondary muscles to the lift) that stabilize and in turn strengthen ur big lifts. also done with diligence with help keep ya injury free.

P

Thanks bro. I will get my accessory work planned this weekend and be ready to hit it come Tuesday!!

Solid Dreams
05-26-12, 11:45 am

P

Can you strengthen your RCs? I've just been stretching them out with 5 lb weights, wasnt sure if there was anything else I could do. What do you do for your IT Band?

P Diesel
05-26-12, 5:30 pm
Can you strengthen your RCs? I've just been stretching them out with 5 lb weights, wasnt sure if there was anything else I could do. What do you do for your IT Band?

sure can, i used to do this great stretch with a band. attach one end to a pull up bar and put ur hand through it like a dog leash, face away from the bar and turn away from the arm that is trough the band turning ur thumb toward the floor. works wonders expecially when i was doin my heavy overhead stuff. strengthening can b doin with light DB's or cables, DB's would b done by holding the arm at a 90 degree angle w DB in hand, keep that 90 degree bend in the arm between the forearm and upper arm. rotate arm forward toward floor and back up, im sure thats the stretch u were referring to. add a little weight, not much and it will begin to strengthen that rotator cuff and hopefully keep ur shoulders healthy. the last ting u want is a lot of weight on this exercise. the cable is done more with adduction and abduction, same premise however.

IT bands exercises tend to b more stretches then weight training but provide the same effect as the RC exercises. my preference would be scorpions, if you are familiar with them, and rathe rhten doin leg lifts i would focus more on the outer thigh or abductor machine

P

tark
05-26-12, 7:16 pm
def along for this ride...i feel like ive gotten so much already just from reading through the first four pages of posts!

Theonidus
05-29-12, 9:20 am
Springfield, mo... There's nothing here haha I can't even get ahold of any Kansas city animals

You're in Springfield? I'm in Rolla while at college or in St. Louis right now on an internship. We'll have to start something back up.

ChalkyPalms
05-29-12, 10:09 am
You're in Springfield? I'm in Rolla while at college or in St. Louis right now on an internship. We'll have to start something back up.

Yeah man for sure. Pm me or keep me posted

P Diesel
05-29-12, 11:31 am
Yeah man for sure. Pm me or keep me posted

good shit, see theres always a brotha near by

P

G Diesel
05-29-12, 11:50 am

sure can, i used to do this great stretch with a band. attach one end to a pull up bar and put ur hand through it like a dog leash, face away from the bar and turn away from the arm that is trough the band turning ur thumb toward the floor. works wonders expecially when i was doin my heavy overhead stuff. strengthening can b doin with light DB's or cables, DB's would b done by holding the arm at a 90 degree angle w DB in hand, keep that 90 degree bend in the arm between the forearm and upper arm. rotate arm forward toward floor and back up, im sure thats the stretch u were referring to. add a little weight, not much and it will begin to strengthen that rotator cuff and hopefully keep ur shoulders healthy. the last ting u want is a lot of weight on this exercise. the cable is done more with adduction and abduction, same premise however.

IT bands exercises tend to b more stretches then weight training but provide the same effect as the RC exercises. my preference would be scorpions, if you are familiar with them, and rathe rhten doin leg lifts i would focus more on the outer thigh or abductor machine

P

Great advice for maintaining the 'tators. Strengthening your RCs will no doubt lengthen and improve the quality of your training life. I try to take a minute out to warmup my rotators before every shoulder and chest workout. It is a small price to pay.

Peace, G

Solid Dreams
05-29-12, 12:05 pm

P

I appreciate this man, I'm definitely going to do that.

P Diesel
05-29-12, 12:17 pm
Great advice for maintaining the 'tators. Strengthening your RCs will no doubt lengthen and improve the quality of your training life. I try to take a minute out to warmup my rotators before every shoulder and chest workout. It is a small price to pay.

Peace, G

i agree w G, small price that will pay dividends in the long run.

P

ChalkyPalms
05-29-12, 6:00 pm
Hey P I messaged you on FB as well, I'm just looking for the quickest way to get an answer from ya lol. I've got a foot over pronation more so in foot than the other and wondering if you or someone could help

My right foot over pronates more than my left foot (they both do, but more so the right). Now i have a suspicion that this over pronation is causing my underdevelopment in my right quad (example: heavy squats will sometimes pull my knees in) and I think the over pronation is also the reason I have a bad habit of putting my hip out of place when deadlifting or squatting heavier. My right toes always wanna pull outwards but my left foot is straight forward and more neutral. Just curious to if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks for the help man

BigAnt
06-02-12, 9:11 pm
Hey Pat;

Hope all is well...Please have your boy and his girl read my NY Pro write up....

http://www.universalusa.com/Community/Forum/Live/NY-PRO-5-19-12/(offset)/10#post_166120

BigAnt

P Diesel
06-03-12, 3:12 pm
Hey Pat;

Hope all is well...Please have your boy and his girl read my NY Pro write up....

http://www.universalusa.com/Community/Forum/Live/NY-PRO-5-19-12/(offset)/10#post_166120

BigAnt

Will do my brotha. Things are good, tryin to get sum size on. Last i saw ya u were lookin in shape and lean. anything on the horizon?

P

widdlewade44
06-03-12, 3:34 pm
P,

You've got a very solid thread here brother and I appreciate you taking the time to spread your learned advice and motivation. Your exhibition in the Cage this year with the deads was incredible and this thread is inspirational, thanks. Peace,

Kevin
widdlewade44

P Diesel
06-03-12, 9:37 pm
Hey P I messaged you on FB as well, I'm just looking for the quickest way to get an answer from ya lol. I've got a foot over pronation more so in foot than the other and wondering if you or someone could help

My right foot over pronates more than my left foot (they both do, but more so the right). Now i have a suspicion that this over pronation is causing my underdevelopment in my right quad (example: heavy squats will sometimes pull my knees in) and I think the over pronation is also the reason I have a bad habit of putting my hip out of place when deadlifting or squatting heavier. My right toes always wanna pull outwards but my left foot is straight forward and more neutral. Just curious to if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks for the help man

hmmm,

no that is a problem. well, regardless if its due to injury or just developmentally pronated u dnt want one more pronated than the other. personally, i would move my left foot to match my right. seems as tho the right one wants to pronate, so instead of forcing urself into an awkward position when doing heavy lifts, let the left foot turn out as well. i squat and dead with both feet pronated slightly anyway. the detriment to either lifting with the right foot further turned or trying to force it to stay in will b either injury or like u said uneven development. give it a whirl to see if it evens out the lift and feels ok. may take sum getting used to. i dnt think theres any bringin that one footback in, sounds structural to me. unless there was sum trauma to u like i said. lemme know brotha

P

P Diesel
06-03-12, 9:41 pm
P,

You've got a very solid thread here brother and I appreciate you taking the time to spread your learned advice and motivation. Your exhibition in the Cage this year with the deads was incredible and this thread is inspirational, thanks. Peace,

Kevin
widdlewade44

Bro, thank u! i try and pass on what knowledge i have acquired over the years, expecially of when ive failed. hopefully sumone can learn from me and do it better. Yea, i had a blast at the Arnold ... i was hurtin durin the exhibition a little but got it done. i have sum big lift left in me for sure.

good luck on ur own journey

P

ChalkyPalms
06-03-12, 10:01 pm
hmmm,

no that is a problem. well, regardless if its due to injury or just developmentally pronated u dnt want one more pronated than the other. personally, i would move my left foot to match my right. seems as tho the right one wants to pronate, so instead of forcing urself into an awkward position when doing heavy lifts, let the left foot turn out as well. i squat and dead with both feet pronated slightly anyway. the detriment to either lifting with the right foot further turned or trying to force it to stay in will b either injury or like u said uneven development. give it a whirl to see if it evens out the lift and feels ok. may take sum getting used to. i dnt think theres any bringin that one footback in, sounds structural to me. unless there was sum trauma to u like i said. lemme know brotha

P

I think I've got something in gonna try. Since the pronation is actually rolling my arch down, I'm gonna get some insoles. My arches are real low from it and when I til my feet back up, it seems to look better. I just can't permanently keep my feet there. One of my teammates is a chiropractic Dr. I had forgotten that and hollered at him the other day. I may even have to go to the extent of having them custom made with 1 being more pronated then the other.

P Diesel
07-15-12, 9:43 pm
just started sumthin i used to do that a picked up from a fellow strongman overseas years ago. jsut finished my second week, gna hti two more before i go back to my regular routine.

Mon, Wed, Fri
Bench, Standing military w/axel, Jammer, core, +1 acessory movement

Tues, Thurs, Sat
Dead, Squat, core, +1 acessory movement

Sun
Core, Grip, Rotator Cuff, etc

Mass and Strength through the roof. Oh, ive also not used my belt for a singel lift in about a month, a la Grant HIGA.

time to make sumthin of myself

P

HIGA MONSTER
07-15-12, 11:52 pm
Mass and Strength through the roof. Oh, ive also not used my belt for a singel lift in about a month, a la Grant HIGA.

P
Boom. Headshot...

Keep it real homie. Hope to see you soon.
HIGA MONSTER

P Diesel
07-16-12, 2:50 pm
Boom. Headshot...

Keep it real homie. Hope to see you soon.
HIGA MONSTER

i need to get out to WA and get sum trainin in w u soon. u down?

P

G Diesel
07-16-12, 4:24 pm
just started sumthin i used to do that a picked up from a fellow strongman overseas years ago. jsut finished my second week, gna hti two more before i go back to my regular routine.

Mon, Wed, Fri

Tues, Thurs, Sat

Sun

P

Damn man. Recovering from that is going to be rough. You think you'll be training sore muscle groups and are you cool with that?

Inspiring shit my brother.

Peace, G

ttt
07-16-12, 6:15 pm
Hello, I'm Tyna.. I have 139Lbs and 5'3. I bought the Animal cuts to loose some body fat and muscle definition but I have some question about its use:
First of all my goal is to loose 15 lbs , is it possible with one cycle animal cuts?

By the way, I heard some people saying that people under 176lbs(my case) should take only one pack a day but in the can cames like this :
''Take 2 pack a day for 3 straight weeks. 1 pack on waking and other 4-6 hours later. Follow a 3 weeks on,1 week off cycle. After the week off, you can run it again.''

If I take only 1 pack a day it would work for me? and if I do that, should I take the pack in the mornig after wake up or before training?
P.S: I always train at 6:00Pm.

Thanks!!

ronnie
07-16-12, 6:46 pm
just found this thread, glad i did. I see you train young lifters in powerlifting, what kind of routine do you have them doing? how do you manage them all at once? im curious to know, i plan on teaching soon and hope to coach a highschool powerlifting team.

Wycked
07-16-12, 7:52 pm
Post of the year.

I just woke up and read that on my phone.
Laughed so fuckin hard that I woke up Ben Seath's momma next to me in bed...

Wrong higa. Now this is the post of the year lol. Fuckin classic

Wycked
07-16-12, 7:54 pm
P,

If u ever make your way up here we will have Throw an ABC while your here I know a lot of powe lifters and strong man competitors in the area would love to pick your brain

P Diesel
07-16-12, 11:06 pm
Damn man. Recovering from that is going to be rough. You think you'll be training sore muscle groups and are you cool with that?

Inspiring shit my brother.

Peace, G

Bro,

feel like ive been hit by a bus, sleep like the dead. definitely training sore muscle groups. but gettin stronger. kicked up my aminos and calories. its a wild change.

P

P Diesel
07-16-12, 11:09 pm
P,

If u ever make your way up here we will have Throw an ABC while your here I know a lot of powe lifters and strong man competitors in the area would love to pick your brain

yea definitely brotha. we will talk more about when i can make it up and we can put that in the works

P

HIGA MONSTER
07-16-12, 11:12 pm
Wrong higa. Now this is the post of the year lol. Fuckin classic
Haha!

I forgot about that one...that made me fuckin laugh hard again.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
07-16-12, 11:14 pm
i need to get out to WA and get sum trainin in w u soon. u down?

P
The question is..."ARE YOU DOWN TO HANG OUT WITH THE BROWN?"

Fuck yeah bro. Let me know.

Seath will join us too. Have a huge Man-wich.

HIGA

Wycked
07-17-12, 12:48 am
yea definitely brotha. we will talk more about when i can make it up and we can put that in the works

P

Also gonna show you the "real" toronto lol

GUNS
07-18-12, 2:16 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?39111-FREE-strongman-event&p=1244390#post1244390

P, this would be a fun event for you for warm ups to your "big" event coming up!

P Diesel
07-18-12, 11:09 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?39111-FREE-strongman-event&p=1244390#post1244390

P, this would be a fun event for you for warm ups to your "big" event coming up!

:) GUNS thanks for lookin out, i missed this thread. thats actually right near me. my man Big Al's gym in dirty Delaware

P

P Diesel
07-26-12, 1:05 am

Mon, Wed, Fri

Tues, Thurs, Sat

Sun

Mass and Strength through the roof. Oh, ive also not used my belt for a single lift in about a month, a la Grant HIGA.

P

after my ruptured pec last year i havent really pushed it much, mostly mental i would guess. anyway, the prob is i have one bum titty on the left side w a huge hole in it. in the last 3 1/2 weeks i have gone from 295 for 3 sets of 5 to 340 today for 3 sets of 5 CAKE. b back to 500 in no time

P

Kowboy
07-26-12, 11:25 am
after my ruptured pec last year i havent really pushed it much, mostly mental i would guess. anyway, the prob is i have one bum titty on the left side w a huge hole in it. in the last 3 1/2 weeks i have gone from 295 for 3 sets of 5 to 340 today for 3 sets of 5 CAKE. b back to 500 in no time

P

Killer man, I had some mental issues w/ a couple lifts w/ the plate in my shoulder but now I don't even think about it. I know it isn't the same but I just hit 235 x 11 on the bench so I am moving in the right direction. Also finally started training the strongman shit so lets see how it goes! What do you recommend for grip work? I am buying a gripper and I dont use straps for anything and just started farmers walks.

P Diesel
07-26-12, 11:11 pm
Killer man, I had some mental issues w/ a couple lifts w/ the plate in my shoulder but now I don't even think about it. I know it isn't the same but I just hit 235 x 11 on the bench so I am moving in the right direction. Also finally started training the strongman shit so lets see how it goes! What do you recommend for grip work? I am buying a gripper and I dont use straps for anything and just started farmers walks.

Originally Posted by Tbrat
P what do you do on your forearm/grip day? My grip is seriously lagging, I have been weening off of straps and only using them when absolutely necessary. I have incorporated more forearm work into my bicep routine with hammer curls and reverse curls. Also, at the back end of the day i train back I'll incorporate some static holds on the pulldown, helps stretch my lats out and works on grip, is this is a good way to go about it?

grip is one a those things that WILL NOT come unless u train it. my grip has always been a strong point for me. in my early years of training i had a job with a stone mason, on breaks i would pinch grip two cinder blocks for as long as i could after hustlin' stone and mortar all day haha.

ok so u want a monster grip. well wrap ur mind around different types of grip and functions of the hand and traing that way. extensing, flexion, pinching, closing, holding, etc.

when competing in strongman i always had a day for grip. pinch grips with plates, make sure the smooth sides face out. a number of different ways to do this. two 25's twogether. five 10's, whatever. forearm curls, reversed, and side(holding DB thumb toward the ceiling). carry and tennis ball around and squeeze it constantly, when u start busting them move to lacrosse balls. captains of crush grippers are amazing, start light its all ull need trust me. once u can close it with bottoms touching 25 times u can move to the next number. most ppl should b able to train with the #2. sledge hammers are amazing, there are a variety of sledge lifts u can use for forearms and grip strength, cannot be replicated SICK. static holds and hangs, pull up bar, farmers, or rope is great. do sum lifts with towels wrapped around the bar, apparatus or pull up bar. get a thick rubber band and put it around ur fingers and open them wide, extensors.

these are just a few .... get after it

P

G Diesel
07-27-12, 8:51 am

P

That's what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by Tbrat
P what do you do on your forearm/grip day? My grip is seriously lagging, I have been weening off of straps and only using them when absolutely necessary. I have incorporated more forearm work into my bicep routine with hammer curls and reverse curls. Also, at the back end of the day i train back I'll incorporate some static holds on the pulldown, helps stretch my lats out and works on grip, is this is a good way to go about it?

grip is one a those things that WILL NOT come unless u train it. my grip has always been a strong point for me. in my early years of training i had a job with a stone mason, on breaks i would pinch grip two cinder blocks for as long as i could after hustlin' stone and mortar all day haha.

ok so u want a monster grip. well wrap ur mind around different types of grip and functions of the hand and traing that way. extensing, flexion, pinching, closing, holding, etc.

when competing in strongman i always had a day for grip. pinch grips with plates, make sure the smooth sides face out. a number of different ways to do this. two 25's twogether. five 10's, whatever. forearm curls, reversed, and side(holding DB thumb toward the ceiling). carry and tennis ball around and squeeze it constantly, when u start busting them move to lacrosse balls. captains of crush grippers are amazing, start light its all ull need trust me. once u can close it with bottoms touching 25 times u can move to the next number. most ppl should b able to train with the #2. sledge hammers are amazing, there are a variety of sledge lifts u can use for forearms and grip strength, cannot be replicated SICK. static holds and hangs, pull up bar, farmers, or rope is great. do sum lifts with towels wrapped around the bar, apparatus or pull up bar. get a thick rubber band and put it around ur fingers and open them wide, extensors.

these are just a few .... get after it

P

Ton of good knowledge and great ideas here bro. Thanks.

Peace, G

P Diesel
07-29-12, 11:56 pm
sumthin i had mentioned i was doin for the past month. this was monday wednesday friday for the last four weeks

P

http://youtu.be/HZxpTxtNZs0

GUNS
08-05-12, 9:35 pm
Seen your FB post P! The brotherhood is all some of us will ever ask of you my friend!

Solid Dreams
08-05-12, 11:15 pm
Seen your FB post P! The brotherhood is all some of us will ever ask of you my friend!

Same thinking here. Was like "Oh no, I dont want to go up to him and be like "Sup dude" and have him crush my skull!"

P Diesel
08-09-12, 1:19 am
hahaha not directed toward true brothers ... our breed is few and far between. its a good thing

P

Aggression
09-20-12, 9:21 am
P

How do you approach the concept of trimming down/leaning up while still keeping strength gains as your main priority?

Theonidus
09-20-12, 10:43 am
P

How do you approach the concept of trimming down/leaning up while still keeping strength gains as your main priority?

I second this. Always curious as of to how other people go about cleaning up their physique.

Aggression
09-20-12, 10:57 am
P

I second this. Always curious as of to how other people go about cleaning up their physique.

#Truth. Right now, I want to cut some fat and get into better shape. But I'm in the process of preparing for a PL meet in January. So obviously, strength is the utmost concern but I'd like to shape up a bit. I've started implementing 1 day of cardio on the treadmill at 20min and then 2 days on the prowler; 10 trips at 40yds each.

P, is there something you do to combat both? Or does it boil down to what you want more at this point; strength or trimming down?

Shukin
10-13-12, 10:55 am
Hello P,
I am hoping you can make this Delaware ABC on November 3rd, I would love to have you show me a few pointers about strongman. I have trained with Higa in the past and am currently running Steve Pulcinella's workout and meeting with him every few weeks. I believe in learning as much as possible from as many as possible.

Respect,
Shukin

Altered Beast
10-17-12, 3:05 pm
P,

I've been struggling on activating/squeezing my glutes during my pulls. This causes an ugly/hitchy lockout which is a no no on the platform.

What can I do to get into the habit of activating my glutes to drive my hips through the bar? Should I simply yell at myself in my head and practice until it becomes habit?

P Diesel
10-18-12, 10:31 am
#Truth. Right now, I want to cut some fat and get into better shape. But I'm in the process of preparing for a PL meet in January. So obviously, strength is the utmost concern but I'd like to shape up a bit. I've started implementing 1 day of cardio on the treadmill at 20min and then 2 days on the prowler; 10 trips at 40yds each.

P, is there something you do to combat both? Or does it boil down to what you want more at this point; strength or trimming down?

A,

I had always thought it had to b one or the other, for the longest i stayed big and heavy out of, what i thought, was necessity. and there is sum truth to that. if u are dieted way down and lean will u be as strong as if u are carbed up on a wild bulk?

BUT, as an athlete of any kind u want to b well rounded. there is something to the whole bulking and cutting, which i still do, to build lean mass. but my days of prolonged cardio on the stepper, treadmill or eliptical are in the past. unless ofcourse, u are talking about cutting for a meet, in which case fuuuuck me thats where ull find me late at night.

i am a huge advocate of what i call athletic cardio and even more for explosive cardio. i do both at the beginning and end of each training session every day. jump rope, sledge hammer, sprints, jammer, box jumps, explosive jumps w bands, landmines, etc. not only is it not as monotanous, it spikes ur heart rate likened to interval cardio but a much more severe spike. for me, it works. my heart rate stays higher longer. i tailor these cardio exercises to myself as an athlete and my athletic pursuits. not only have my lifts increased, but i feel as though i am much more well rounded and complete as an athlete. this doesnt just mean carrying more lean mass, but also explosiveness and overall core strength.

P

P Diesel
10-18-12, 10:38 am
Hello P,
I am hoping you can make this Delaware ABC on November 3rd, I would love to have you show me a few pointers about strongman. I have trained with Higa in the past and am currently running Steve Pulcinella's workout and meeting with him every few weeks. I believe in learning as much as possible from as many as possible.

Respect,
Shukin

Shukin,

good to hear from u bro. i am hoping to make it down. will add my name to the attendance list when i am sure i can make it. and yea brotha for sure we can talk strongman. Grant the strong samoan bastard he is, i have huuge respect for him as an athlete and human being. i was lucky enough to go head to head w him in exhibition. i am very familair with steve's training methods, another good dude. im sure ur puttin in work down at iron sport regularly.

i def agree learning many different styles and hearing a number of methods on the same lift, event, topic. HIGA and i are complete opposites. hye will never b as pretty as me.

hopefully ill make it there

P

P Diesel
10-18-12, 10:44 am
P,

I've been struggling on activating/squeezing my glutes during my pulls. This causes an ugly/hitchy lockout which is a no no on the platform.

What can I do to get into the habit of activating my glutes to drive my hips through the bar? Should I simply yell at myself in my head and practice until it becomes habit?

practice makes perfect right, yes ofcourse practice ur form and strong lockout with lighter weight to perfect ur form. but more then that, i wouldnt worry or focus on my glutes or any type of squeezing of them at lockout. u may shit on urself homey, ur blow out an intestine or sum shit. seriously tho, i can only see u straining the fuck out of ur lower spine w a violent squeeze on lockout.

speed speed speed, lean backand drive ur hips through. its much more ur hip flexors in my opinion then ur glutes. hip thrusts, lying or kneeling will add strength in that deptartment (youtube sum examples). also box squats and coming out the hole on deep squats will help remedy the situation. its a violent fast movement, the deadlift. speed kills bra, so get to it

P

Altered Beast
10-18-12, 10:55 am
practice makes perfect right, yes ofcourse practice ur form and strong lockout with lighter weight to perfect ur form. but more then that, i wouldnt worry or focus on my glutes or any type of squeezing of them at lockout. u may shit on urself homey, ur blow out an intestine or sum shit. seriously tho, i can only see u straining the fuck out of ur lower spine w a violent squeeze on lockout.

speed speed speed, lean backand drive ur hips through. its much more ur hip flexors in my opinion then ur glutes. hip thrusts, lying or kneeling will add strength in that deptartment (youtube sum examples). also box squats and coming out the hole on deep squats will help remedy the situation. its a violent fast movement, the deadlift. speed kills bra, so get to it

P

Thanks P. I haven't been leaning back like I should.

P Diesel
11-30-12, 10:44 am
time to break out the super glue. the weather gettin colder and training heavier means calluses, tearing off as usual, splitting is the issue. a little super glue goes a long way, closes ya up and keep ya training. no prob. anyone else do this?

P

Altered Beast
11-30-12, 11:45 am
time to break out the super glue. the weather gettin colder and training heavier means calluses, tearing off as usual, splitting is the issue. a little super glue goes a long way, closes ya up and keep ya training. no prob. anyone else do this?

P

I've got a strong grip, never had that issue =)

Kowboy
11-30-12, 12:48 pm

P

never tried it, i have some callouses but have been lucky to not have them tear yet. Is this something to keep in the gym bag?

Solid Dreams
11-30-12, 1:16 pm

P

I know Stevie Ray Vaughan used to superglue his calluses back on.

I havent had that issue yet, I just bite em off and keep going though. (Since, you know, I'm not nearly as strong as you are, you monster)

Altered Beast
11-30-12, 1:37 pm
I shave them with a razor once or twice a month. It really helps and prevents this issue, at least for me.

*Didn't mean to hijack your subject matter P!

GUNS
11-30-12, 2:00 pm
If you accidentally cut yourself and don't have access to band aids, gauze or even a butterfly kit, look for some super glue. You can use super glue for cuts in a pinch so that the wound heals and doesn't get infected. This is a permanent fix for cuts that are less than an inch deep and an inch wide.

Superglue was used by trauma surgeons in Vietnam to glue the edges of lacerated livers together (ever try to SEW liver?). Works great. It also works perfectly fine in normal skin wounds, and is non-toxic.

P, have you ever tried putting the superglue on "before" doing your lifts. Could it be a preventive tool?

P Diesel
12-01-12, 6:45 pm
If you accidentally cut yourself and don't have access to band aids, gauze or even a butterfly kit, look for some super glue. You can use super glue for cuts in a pinch so that the wound heals and doesn't get infected. This is a permanent fix for cuts that are less than an inch deep and an inch wide.

Superglue was used by trauma surgeons in Vietnam to glue the edges of lacerated livers together (ever try to SEW liver?). Works great. It also works perfectly fine in normal skin wounds, and is non-toxic.

P, have you ever tried putting the superglue on "before" doing your lifts. Could it be a preventive tool?

if i know i have a few spots that are gna split or come apart i use it pre workout for sure. thanks for the added info GUNS. always good to hear ur spin on things

P

Solid Dreams
12-01-12, 9:23 pm
Hey P, read your article about the football. Totally understand what you were going through, had the same sort of thing happen to me and it was crushing.

It's always great to be able to channel your loves into something that makes you the best, you're a true beast.

P Diesel
12-01-12, 9:52 pm
Hey P, read your article about the football. Totally understand what you were going through, had the same sort of thing happen to me and it was crushing.

It's always great to be able to channel your loves into something that makes you the best, you're a true beast.

thanks for takin the time to read it. that is part 1 of 5 ... they will b posting the rest at various intervals. hopefully they are all good reads for ya and reach out to the ANIMAL family. i havent led a charmed life nad it hasnt been easy. that while my body may not b made of steel, my will and determination are.

P

Kowboy
12-01-12, 10:11 pm
P, great write up man. I feel you, I played soccer was doing well and looking at all state and got popped my senior year by some clunky kid who just fell right on my leg and tore my knee to shit. You may not be playing football but you inspire a lot of us here and are a great role model. You keep me busting ass in the gym, hoping to hook up at the Arnold for some bros vs pros action man. Thanks for doing what you do.

HIGA MONSTER
12-03-12, 12:10 pm

P
Thats too Gangstah for me.

I just use moisturizer from Bath & Bodyworks....

P Diesel
12-03-12, 1:36 pm
Thats too Gangstah for me.

I just use moisturizer from Bath & Bodyworks....

silky smooth for outside of the gym

P

HIGA MONSTER
12-03-12, 1:42 pm
silky smooth for outside of the gym

P
Seath and I were talking on Sat night how Corporate is going to make a t-shirt of you walking out of the Arnold Expo bathroom with your shaker...

and some badass slogan like, "I make a shake no matter where...no matter what"

P Diesel
12-03-12, 2:15 pm
Seath and I were talking on Sat night how Corporate is going to make a t-shirt of you walking out of the Arnold Expo bathroom with your shaker...

and some badass slogan like, "I make a shake no matter where...no matter what"

can both please bring that up to corporate, i would rock that fo sho. ps ill def fill ur shaker for u this year, take real good care of ya

P

HIGA MONSTER
12-03-12, 3:41 pm
can both please bring that up to corporate, i would rock that fo sho. ps ill def fill ur shaker for u this year, take real good care of ya

P
Yeah right...I am sure you will wash your hands too in the Arnold bathroom.

Aggression
12-03-12, 5:14 pm
anabolic residue

P Diesel
12-03-12, 7:13 pm
Yeah right...I am sure you will wash your hands too in the Arnold bathroom.

no faith. u think sabotage of me ;)

anabolic residue

haha , its much greater at the arnold then the O

P

deanna7272
12-03-12, 7:56 pm
Thanks for the head's up on the articles, definitely going to check 'em out... I had no idea what all ya had all that going on P, but you've inspired me... Soooooo.... Expect questions...lol

HIGA MONSTER
12-04-12, 2:13 am
anabolic residue
Sick!

P Diesel
12-04-12, 11:45 am
Thanks for the head's up on the articles, definitely going to check 'em out... I had no idea what all ya had all that going on P, but you've inspired me... Soooooo.... Expect questions...lol

if there's one thing i know for sure is that the human bod is capable of wild things. that coupled with a tenacious drive like no other, u can overcome and achieve. hit me up any time D. it was great seein ya

P

P Diesel
12-06-12, 10:44 am
2007 throwback. found this the other day tucked away in my computer. i was invited to compete at a benefit for childhood obesity, put on by the Allegheny Valley YMCA.

dead for reps, log clean and press for reps, stone carry, farmers and tire flip

haha no one budged the 1250 tire all day long above their knees. it was for max distance in a minute, i believe i got 5 flips.

http://youtu.be/FyuYD2LBD4Y

P

Altered Beast
12-06-12, 11:13 am
1250????? That is insane!!!

I bet your bicep tendonitis was going nuts after that!

GUNS
12-06-12, 11:58 am
2007 throwback. found this the other day tucked away in my computer. i was invited to compete at a benefit for childhood obesity, put on by the Allegheny Valley YMCA.

haha no one budged the 1250 tire all day long above their knees. it was for max distance in a minute, i believe i got 5 flips.

P

That thing is a beast, and you tamed the shit out of it!

Big Wides
12-06-12, 12:32 pm

P

The pride of Delco moving heavy shit as usual

Altered Beast
12-06-12, 1:31 pm
P, when is your next competition?!?!?!?!?

deanna7272
12-06-12, 4:35 pm
if there's one thing i know for sure is that the human bod is capable of wild things. that coupled with a tenacious drive like no other, u can overcome and achieve. hit me up any time D. it was great seein ya

P

Yes, you have proven that, that's what I'm talking about... On Sunday, Henri also chimed in when I got my belt out of my bag.... I need to stray away from that safety net... I know to train smart, but I need to quit with the crutches ... I feel more comfortable after he looked at my form, it gave me a little more confidence in myself...

I apologize for my terrible math skills the other night, but in my defense, I HAD the right answer/s, I just didn't know which numbers to use....lmao Another step towards success... Thanks!!!

Same on seeing ya!! I do have to talk with those KoP Mall people about bringing in a music store....lol

HIGA MONSTER
12-06-12, 5:21 pm

P
Where are the 4 "alleged" flips? Shit, I started yelling at my phone when it ended.

Shukin
12-06-12, 8:11 pm
Dig the dome.

P Diesel
12-06-12, 10:19 pm
Where are the 4 "alleged" flips? Shit, I started yelling at my phone when it ended.

dont u fuckin 'alleged' me HIGA haha, that was either the first or last one, i dnt even know who took that vid or if there is more.

P

P Diesel
12-06-12, 10:23 pm
1250????? That is insane!!!

I bet your bicep tendonitis was going nuts after that!

on fire

That thing is a beast, and you tamed the shit out of it!

in the walk through no one even budged it bro. Gary Udit the NAS for PA pulled me aside and asked if i thought we should change the tire out. i said, "Gary, u brought it here sumone will lift the fuckin thing."

The pride of Delco moving heavy shit as usual

u know how we do Wides

P, when is your next competition?!?!?!?!?

mayeb a little PL to fill the void this Jan, and if im feelin confident in all my injured parts this spring strongman may yet see me again

P

PITBULL
12-07-12, 12:59 am
Just watched "Press Ta Deff"... Man I miss the jammer!!!

HIGA MONSTER
12-07-12, 1:32 am
dont u fuckin 'alleged' me HIGA haha, that was either the first or last one, i dnt even know who took that vid or if there is more.

P
No video, no proof.

Sounds like a fishing tale..."You should have seen the size of this marlin, but I lost it after fighting it for 5 hours."

Ufa.

P Diesel
12-07-12, 7:34 am
No video, no proof.

Sounds like a fishing tale..."You should have seen the size of this marlin, but I lost it after fighting it for 5 hours."

Ufa.

my fault man, dnt kill me. alright, heres a vid of me hittin the 1250 for one, i have no proof of any others. better? damn samoans

Ufa,

P

P Diesel
12-07-12, 7:35 am
Just watched "Press Ta Deff"... Man I miss the jammer!!!

we picked that up maybe 6 months ago, damn hadnt seen one since college football. its a great piece fo sho.

P

PITBULL
12-07-12, 3:18 pm
we picked that up maybe 6 months ago, damn hadnt seen one since college football. its a great piece fo sho.

P

Thats whats up. I hadnt seen or worked one since high school. Whats this I hear you might be competing some time soon? Any ideas when, where or what?

PITBULL
12-08-12, 5:48 pm
P, Did legs today with squats included. I did ass to seat with 135 trying to work on my form and getting low enough. I ended with a set at 225 but it still kicked my ass. Im trying to be humble and humble sucks but I know you are right. Im doing everything but core which I know you HIGHLY recommended but I dont know what else to do besides crunches and sit ups. I do hypers every now and then but nowhere near 20 a set and I dont even know if Im doing them right. What can I do to seriously strengthen my core? Second, what is the best way to ad size to legs?

-Pit

Firefist
01-23-13, 2:44 pm
Hey man, just wanted to drop by and say I really liked When Your Dreams Hang in the Balance and im anxious to see whats next.

P Diesel
01-23-13, 2:51 pm
Hey man, just wanted to drop by and say I really liked When Your Dreams Hang in the Balance and im anxious to see whats next.

i appreciate the feedback very much bro. its not an easy thing giving everyone a glimpse into that kinda thing. i wanted to convey it effectively. there are 4 more parts to the story. not sure when they will b posted. but know that they are written and i put a lot into each one.

P

Firefist
01-23-13, 3:45 pm
I feel you man, I've had my share of unfortunate injuries and I havent really brought them up until recent..... I got salty thinking about when I was walking around in a brace or sling. I think about how much would have been different if the events never happened, but then I understand the person I am now towers over old me because I struggled through it.

I read it when it first came out and I've been going back every so often to see if the next one came out. I'll be on the lookout for sure.

P Diesel
01-24-13, 11:07 am
I feel you man, I've had my share of unfortunate injuries and I havent really brought them up until recent..... I got salty thinking about when I was walking around in a brace or sling. I think about how much would have been different if the events never happened, but then I understand the person I am now towers over old me because I struggled through it.

I read it when it first came out and I've been going back every so often to see if the next one came out. I'll be on the lookout for sure.

exactly! ... if u could erase all those setbacks imagine where ud b. BUT to b honest i wouldnt want to. im better for doin it the hard way.

i will b sure to make everyone aware if i get a heads up the next part will b posted, or when it gets put up

P

Hollow
01-24-13, 11:45 am
exactly! ... if u could erase all those setbacks imagine where ud b. BUT to b honest i wouldnt want to. im better for doin it the hard way.

I believe the setbacks help define and build one's character.

BIG JAKE
01-24-13, 12:25 pm
I'm rebounding from shoulder surgery and a torn bicep tendon and want to pursue powerlifting. Was looking at 5/3/1 just wanted to get clarification on how to do it. Week1 3 sets 5 reps, week 2 3 sets 3 reps, week 3 3sets 5/3/1 reps, week 4 deload find new max repeat is that right? Also what are you're thoughts on training 5/3/1 is there another program you would suggest?

Kowboy
01-24-13, 12:46 pm
I'm rebounding from shoulder surgery and a torn bicep tendon and want to pursue powerlifting. Was looking at 5/3/1 just wanted to get clarification on how to do it. Week1 3 sets 5 reps, week 2 3 sets 3 reps, week 3 3sets 5/3/1 reps, week 4 deload find new max repeat is that right? Also what are you're thoughts on training 5/3/1 is there another program you would suggest?

I did 531 for about a year or so, pick up a copy of the 2nd edition. I am not sure what P does, he is very knowledgeable and is probably running off of his own plan. You could also look in to the cube method, 5x5 or even greyskull.

BIG JAKE
01-24-13, 12:51 pm
[QUOTE=Trebin;1288164]I did 531 for about a year or so, pick up a copy of the 2nd edition. I am not sure what P does, he is very knowledgeable and is probably running off of his own plan. You could also look in to the cube method, 5x5 or even greyskull.[/QUOTE

Did I have the weeks sets/reps correct? Having used it for a year did you like it and were the results what you expected? Sorry about all the questions new to powerlifting and wanna get informed before I start

BIG JAKE
01-24-13, 1:20 pm
[QUOTE=BIG JAKE;1288169][QUOTE=Trebin;1288164]I did 531 for about a year or so, pick up a copy of the 2nd edition. I am not sure what P does, he is very knowledgeable and is probably running off of his own plan. You could also look in to the cube method, 5x5 or even greyskull.[/QUOTE

Trebin just read your blog and gotta say DAMN! I could not agree more about todays youth think you nailed it. I am 32 and just starting to pursue powerlifting and strongman and hope to show all the nay sayers one day that they can stick all that negitivity rite up their ass! Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Kowboy
01-24-13, 1:29 pm
[QUOTE=Trebin;1288164]I did 531 for about a year or so, pick up a copy of the 2nd edition. I am not sure what P does, he is very knowledgeable and is probably running off of his own plan. You could also look in to the cube method, 5x5 or even greyskull.[/QUOTE

Did I have the weeks sets/reps correct? Having used it for a year did you like it and were the results what you expected? Sorry about all the questions new to powerlifting and wanna get informed before I start

I enjoyed it, I switched a lot in the beginning and once I just stuck to a plan it did a lot of good. For me I enjoyed doing the 5 x 10 assistance of the 531 using 50% of my 1RM. If you have a smart phone download a 531 app and it will set it up for you.

Kowboy
01-24-13, 1:31 pm
[QUOTE=Trebin;1288164]I did 531 for about a year or so, pick up a copy of the 2nd edition. I am not sure what P does, he is very knowledgeable and is probably running off of his own plan. You could also look in to the cube method, 5x5 or even greyskull.

Trebin just read your blog and gotta say DAMN! I could not agree more about todays youth think you nailed it. I am 32 and just starting to pursue powerlifting and strongman and hope to show all the nay sayers one day that they can stick all that negitivity rite up their ass! Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Thanks man, I want to get stronger and get to a point where I can reach the younger generation and get them to work harder and that nothing is unreachable. I have had some interesting injuries in my life and done all kinds of things. I certainly have quite a few I wish I could reset but such is life. I started when I was 29 but was lost, I didn't get serious until I was age 30. I feel better and stronger now.

rowe62
01-29-13, 10:42 pm
Hey P
I met you over the weekend at the RPS meet. I was the short dude with Tom and also Drew. My question for you is whats a good job in fitness to do? Im a senior and and lost of what I want to do. I wanted to be a trainer but from what you said getting a certification is a bullshit online course.

Thanks Austin.

P Diesel
01-30-13, 10:56 am
Hey P
I met you over the weekend at the RPS meet. I was the short dude with Tom and also Drew. My question for you is whats a good job in fitness to do? Im a senior and and lost of what I want to do. I wanted to be a trainer but from what you said getting a certification is a bullshit online course.

Thanks Austin.

Austin,

good to hear from u dude. hope the trip home wasnt too shitty.

with regard to ur question. is college an option for ya? if so, exercise physiology or nutrition may b the route to go. its a lot of science but if ur interested in it then its not all that bad.

i was a personal trainer through college and after. i was the happiest when training athletes. high school, college and sum pro. i also branched out into seminars and clinics for strength, sport performance, speed and agility. having one of my degrees in nutrition gave me a solid base not only for myself but my clients' questions and plans as well. things have changed a bit for me career wise and competitively, but i still do a small amount of online personal training and coach and judge powerlifting at the school i work at.

with all that said, i got my start workin the front desk at the gym i trained at when i was 18. but quickly turned it into personal training. its ok to start small while ur working on bigger things.

P

rowe62
01-30-13, 11:55 pm
Austin,

good to hear from u dude. hope the trip home wasnt too shitty.

with regard to ur question. is college an option for ya? if so, exercise physiology or nutrition may b the route to go. its a lot of science but if ur interested in it then its not all that bad.

i was a personal trainer through college and after. i was the happiest when training athletes. high school, college and sum pro. i also branched out into seminars and clinics for strength, sport performance, speed and agility. having one of my degrees in nutrition gave me a solid base not only for myself but my clients' questions and plans as well. things have changed a bit for me career wise and competitively, but i still do a small amount of online personal training and coach and judge powerlifting at the school i work at.

with all that said, i got my start workin the front desk at the gym i trained at when i was 18. but quickly turned it into personal training. its ok to start small while ur working on bigger things.

P

It wasnt too bad only 12 hours long, stuck in the middle most the time haha. But College is deff where im going next year. So what you did was major in nutrition or exercise physiology and then went on to train people? How did you get into that? was it through the gym you worked at or did you kinda do it yourself? Also how did you wind up coaching at the school? Ive always had an interest in that as well. I would love to start up a powerlifting team at my school and coach it.

Rowe

shortstack
01-31-13, 8:55 am
I'm going to hit up UPA full PL meet in November and wanted to get your advice on a couple things. I'm sitting at 188 right now and just a little pudgy, probably around 12%. I have a while before I have to decide but I can either stay in the 198 class or hope I don't get too fat and drop into 181.

I have 10 months so I think I can make a lot of progress in that time but out of sheer vanity, there are no State records set at 181 in the sub masters, I'm 38 so I fall right into it. I definitly do not want to come in weak from trying to drop too much at the end, plus who the hell wants to diet for a PL meet.

These were my numbers at the last P, and it was about 1 week after bring in the hospital with my daughter when she was in ICU with pneumonia, so not too bad of numbers for me. I'm also setting new maxes now and just did 290 for bench.

485DL
295Bench
405 Squat

Thanks P.

Jeremy

P Diesel
01-31-13, 10:14 am
It wasnt too bad only 12 hours long, stuck in the middle most the time haha. But College is deff where im going next year. So what you did was major in nutrition or exercise physiology and then went on to train people? How did you get into that? was it through the gym you worked at or did you kinda do it yourself? Also how did you wind up coaching at the school? Ive always had an interest in that as well. I would love to start up a powerlifting team at my school and coach it.

Rowe

I was initially a Biology major, then switched about 10 different majors haha. left school to play football. when i went back i started over and double majored in Nutrition/Dietetics and Psychology. i got a bullshit certification when i first started training and ahd a few clients. as i experienced my own success in lifting i accumulated more clients and branched out into more spiorts performance. if u want to look into a more valid cert, the NSCA is good. but my own knowledge i have gained over time and experience cannot b found in ay trainers' cert. dont waste ur money on one until u see if the gym u will b workin at requires u to have one.

as far as coaching, i had a lot of prior experience trainign and coaching kids before i got here. also, professionaly as a lifter i had reached my peak. even though i was a strongman and not a powerlifter, my background made me fit as a coach here.

P

Shukin
01-31-13, 10:21 am
Hey P,
I was thinking to grow my beard like yours, any special regime I should do? I heard burying potatoes and brown rice in the back yard and eating the crust from bread helps. Can you help me?

P Diesel
01-31-13, 10:23 am
I'm going to hit up UPA full PL meet in November and wanted to get your advice on a couple things. I'm sitting at 188 right now and just a little pudgy, probably around 12%. I have a while before I have to decide but I can either stay in the 198 class or hope I don't get too fat and drop into 181.

I have 10 months so I think I can make a lot of progress in that time but out of sheer vanity, there are no State records set at 181 in the sub masters, I'm 38 so I fall right into it. I definitly do not want to come in weak from trying to drop too much at the end, plus who the hell wants to diet for a PL meet.

These were my numbers at the last P, and it was about 1 week after bring in the hospital with my daughter when she was in ICU with pneumonia, so not too bad of numbers for me. I'm also setting new maxes now and just did 290 for bench.

485DL
295Bench
405 Squat

Thanks P.

Jeremy

u have quite a while to train still. give urself sum time to figure ot ur weight class. i wouldnt worry too much about records or competitors. jsut focus on u coming in the best 181 or 198 u can b. present the best package at whatever weight possible.

if the meet was in a month id say def u should go 181. 7 lbs makes no difference, especially over a month.

train ur ass off, eat ur ass off. i think ud be doing urself a disservice trying to stay lite for that long. make sum gains and as it gets closer decide what u wanna do and make adjustments. i would always work toward being solid and functional at whatever weight u will come in at.

P

Shukin
01-31-13, 10:26 am
i would always work toward being solid and functional at whatever weight u will come in at.
P

Well put.

GUNS
01-31-13, 12:37 pm
Hey P,
I was thinking to grow my beard like yours, any special regime I should do? I heard burying potatoes and brown rice in the back yard and eating the crust from bread helps. Can you help me?

I think you have to do more than that! Slap some Chia Pet on your face, leave it there for a few days, add in a few potatoe buds, and let them grow on your face for a month, that makes your face thats much more fertal! The hair will grow around the potatoes and make it look aloth more bulky! And if you ever get hungry, you have readily available carbs!

rowe62
01-31-13, 3:57 pm
I was initially a Biology major, then switched about 10 different majors haha. left school to play football. when i went back i started over and double majored in Nutrition/Dietetics and Psychology. i got a bullshit certification when i first started training and ahd a few clients. as i experienced my own success in lifting i accumulated more clients and branched out into more spiorts performance. if u want to look into a more valid cert, the NSCA is good. but my own knowledge i have gained over time and experience cannot b found in ay trainers' cert. dont waste ur money on one until u see if the gym u will b workin at requires u to have one.

as far as coaching, i had a lot of prior experience trainign and coaching kids before i got here. also, professionaly as a lifter i had reached my peak. even though i was a strongman and not a powerlifter, my background made me fit as a coach here.

P

I was going to major in exercise science at Shawnee State University and attempt to possibly coach powerlifting at my highschool. If not that train the a football team in the weightroom. Right now Im helping next years football team in the weight room in the football weightlifting class we have at our school and have really enjoyed helping them so far. A big big dream me and tom have talked about is to open a gym together and train people. As well as help them with their diets. Thats the dream I have no idea reall where to start.

Rowe

G Diesel
01-31-13, 4:41 pm
I was going to major in exercise science at Shawnee State University and attempt to possibly coach powerlifting at my highschool. If not that train the a football team in the weightroom. Right now Im helping next years football team in the weight room in the football weightlifting class we have at our school and have really enjoyed helping them so far. A big big dream me and tom have talked about is to open a gym together and train people. As well as help them with their diets. Thats the dream I have no idea reall where to start.

Rowe

Definitely get your degree bro. The iron will still be there every step of the way.

Peace, G

shortstack
02-01-13, 5:57 am
u have quite a while to train still. give urself sum time to figure ot ur weight class. i wouldnt worry too much about records or competitors. jsut focus on u coming in the best 181 or 198 u can b. present the best package at whatever weight possible.

if the meet was in a month id say def u should go 181. 7 lbs makes no difference, especially over a month.

train ur ass off, eat ur ass off. i think ud be doing urself a disservice trying to stay lite for that long. make sum gains and as it gets closer decide what u wanna do and make adjustments. i would always work toward being solid and functional at whatever weight u will come in at.

P

Thanks Brother. Appreciate the advice. I'd really like to add some size/strength over the next 10 months and come in at the higher end of 198. I'll get at ya at the classic.

Jeremy

P Diesel
02-01-13, 10:17 am
Thanks Brother. Appreciate the advice. I'd really like to add some size/strength over the next 10 months and come in at the higher end of 198. I'll get at ya at the classic.

Jeremy

sounds good jeremy. see ya there

P

Firefist
03-06-13, 3:47 pm
Hey P, real good to meet you down at the classic. Lookin forward to slinging some weight with you in the future.

P Diesel
03-07-13, 10:41 am
Hey P, real good to meet you down at the classic. Lookin forward to slinging some weight with you in the future.

same to u brotha. it was hectic ass weekend but a good one for the ANIMAL family. glad u could make it.

P

freighttraindane
03-07-13, 10:48 am
P, it was awesome hanging out with you down at the Cage, look forward to seeing you at future event brother

P Diesel
03-07-13, 1:50 pm
P, it was awesome hanging out with you down at the Cage, look forward to seeing you at future event brother

same here dane, beyond limits was a good little spot and the grub after was sick. keep after it bro

P

Altered Beast
03-07-13, 4:50 pm
So P, what's on the menu for your future?

P Diesel
03-08-13, 2:17 pm
So P, what's on the menu for your future?

honestly, after seeing brent willis and brandon lilly pull. i planning or starting the cube method in the next month or so.

competition wise. i will b doing the highland games. fr those who dont know, they are traditional scottish games, the stone put, hammer throw and caber are a few of he events. perhaps enjoy sum hagas after haha. jsut sumthin ive always wanted to do and never had the time when training for strongman.

i believe christian after his bb show is lookin to kick his trainin into high gear and i will most likely do a strongman or PL meet with him.

def lookin toward the olympia, i need to see what my max pull is lookin like come august for that tho.

P

GUNS
03-08-13, 2:23 pm
honestly, after seeing brent willis and brandon lilly pull. i planning or starting the cube method in the next month or so.

competition wise. i will b doing the highland games. fr those who dont know, they are traditional scottish games, the stone put, hammer throw and caber are a few of he events. perhaps enjoy sum hagas after haha. jsut sumthin ive always wanted to do and never had the time when training for strongman.

i believe christian after his bb show is lookin to kick his trainin into high gear and i will most likely do a strongman or PL meet with him.

def lookin toward the olympia, i need to see what my max pull is lookin like come august for that tho.

P

Do you have a kilt already picked? I went and watched the Mississippi Highland Games a few weeks ago and I will be getting involved as well. Im 16 weeks out from a full meet! Also looks like we are having the Bailey's down to Richards gym in April! Big things happening!

P Diesel
03-08-13, 2:44 pm
Do you have a kilt already picked? I went and watched the Mississippi Highland Games a few weeks ago and I will be getting involved as well. Im 16 weeks out from a full meet! Also looks like we are having the Bailey's down to Richards gym in April! Big things happening!

haha ive been lookin. my moms side of the family is fresh off the boat irish so ill be rockin the pattern from our home county in ireland.

P

GUNS
03-08-13, 2:50 pm
haha ive been lookin. my moms side of the family is fresh off the boat irish so ill be rockin the pattern from our home county in ireland.

P

http://www.kilts.com/USSeabeestartan.htm

Here is mine! Military version!

Big Wides
03-08-13, 2:55 pm

P

Highland Game, now that is some crazy shit. Nothing like tossing around heavy objects for fun

Altered Beast
03-08-13, 3:26 pm

P

The Cube works very well if you already have a true understanding of your own training and how to apply what works.

Highland Games sound fun!

P Diesel
03-08-13, 6:34 pm
Highland Game, now that is some crazy shit. Nothing like tossing around heavy objects for fun

I'm pretty pumped about it. Should b a blast

The Cube works very well if you already have a true understanding of your own training and how to apply what works.

Highland Games sound fun!

Awesome, we will see. I will put it to the test

P

Kowboy
03-08-13, 8:33 pm
I wanted to try highland games eventually but have zero experience with throws. HOw do you train for that?

P Diesel
03-09-13, 8:35 pm
I wanted to try highland games eventually but have zero experience with throws. HOw do you train for that?

No fuckin idea. No clue what I'm doin, Haha. I have a buddy that coaches track and field. He is teaching me the hammer and shot put which will help. To be honest tho it's more for fun then anything so I won't alter my training much. Ofcourse I would like to do well but trying something new I has always wanted to do is more the goal.

P

Kowboy
03-09-13, 9:39 pm
No fuckin idea. No clue what I'm doin, Haha. I have a buddy that coaches track and field. He is teaching me the hammer and shot put which will help. To be honest tho it's more for fun then anything so I won't alter my training much. Ofcourse I would like to do well but trying something new I has always wanted to do is more the goal.

P

I hear ya man, I would totally sign up for one but I have zero fucking clue how to throw or do any of that shit. I look forward to hearing about this lol

P Diesel
03-10-13, 4:11 pm
I hear ya man, I would totally sign up for one but I have zero fucking clue how to throw or do any of that shit. I look forward to hearing about this lol

sumtime u just gotta dive in Mark,no better way to learn. ike HIGA prally had an idea he'd enjoy balls in his mouth but ever really knew til he met Seath. :)

P

Kowboy
03-10-13, 5:47 pm
sumtime u just gotta dive in Mark,no better way to learn. ike HIGA prally had an idea he'd enjoy balls in his mouth but ever really knew til he met Seath. :)

P

True, they are a cute couple.

P Diesel
03-13-13, 11:22 am
check out My and HIGA's write ups from the most explosive, inspiring Cage ever...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40564-SNEAK-PEEK-quot-Head-To-Head-quot

hope everyone enjoys

P

P Diesel
03-13-13, 11:58 am
Just ordered Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. After talking with the guys that use it i will be reading up.

P

Kowboy
03-13-13, 12:01 pm
Just ordered Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. After talking with the guys that use it i will be reading up.

P

It is what I am using to try and catch your ass. I am so sore man lol it is a great read and a great program. I have been mixing it w/ his follow ups on jtsstrength and I already feel stronger. No worries though I am still ugly lol

machineman
03-13-13, 12:08 pm
Hey P. I wasn't able to make it to the AC this year. Wife and 4 kids will do that!

Anyway, I am going to be 38 in May. I want to hit up a PL meet at some point. I have tried various routines with mixed results. I am 6'3 and currently weigh 262. Got some fluff but I am not really worried about it. I have dieted before and know that part of the game. I have been training for a few years now (since I joined here) seriously. What advise do you have for us older guys to help with recovery, strength gains and size gains? Do you think someone in their late 30's is at the peak of their size gains? Since I am going to Alpha test Project Stak, I have cleaned up my diet, increased protein intake, cut out quite a few carbs as I was taking in too many anyway. I am going to go back to the 5/3/1 method again and run it for awhile. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts. Always out to learn something new.

Thanks for your time, brother.

Bob

GUNS
03-13-13, 4:58 pm
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=636

P, very big thanks for everything! Hope this is a good read for you from me!

HIGA MONSTER
03-13-13, 5:29 pm

P
Good, cause you need all the help to improve your weakass Deadlift.

HIGA MONSTER

Altered Beast
03-14-13, 9:01 am

HIGA MONSTER

LOL!!!!!

P Diesel
03-14-13, 9:59 am

HIGA MONSTER

awww always lookin out for me. is this because i asked to come to ur family reunion? i was only met with racism :/

LOL!!!!!

haha, oh thats funny? i dnt think u wanna pull against me

GUNS
03-14-13, 10:04 am
haha, oh thats funny? i dnt think u wanna pull against meBam!

P Diesel
03-14-13, 10:04 am
It is what I am using to try and catch your ass. I am so sore man lol it is a great read and a great program. I have been mixing it w/ his follow ups on jtsstrength and I already feel stronger. No worries though I am still ugly lol

ahhh i see, not fillin me in on ur secret training. well now im wise to ur plan Mark. how r u gna catch me if we are using the same method??

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=636

P, very big thanks for everything! Hope this is a good read for you from me!

Jimmy, a pleasure my brotha. not only to shoot the shit, train, pull side by side but to meet ur family. was an experience i will not soon forget. i hope it is the same for u. ur write up really captured the weekend through ur eyes and experince. extremely complimentary to Al and I as well. see u soon brotha man

P

P Diesel
03-14-13, 11:06 am
Hey P. I wasn't able to make it to the AC this year. Wife and 4 kids will do that!

Anyway, I am going to be 38 in May. I want to hit up a PL meet at some point. I have tried various routines with mixed results. I am 6'3 and currently weigh 262. Got some fluff but I am not really worried about it. I have dieted before and know that part of the game. I have been training for a few years now (since I joined here) seriously. What advise do you have for us older guys to help with recovery, strength gains and size gains? Do you think someone in their late 30's is at the peak of their size gains? Since I am going to Alpha test Project Stak, I have cleaned up my diet, increased protein intake, cut out quite a few carbs as I was taking in too many anyway. I am going to go back to the 5/3/1 method again and run it for awhile. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts. Always out to learn something new.

Thanks for your time, brother.

Bob

haha im sure. hell a wife or gf is enough, throw 4 kids in and thats a fulltime job bro.

as far as when u hit ur peak for size gains, strength, etc. i was always told between 28 - 32 are ur best years physically. with that said, i feel as thought u msut take into account how long u have been training seriously, setbacks like injury or havin' 4 kids haha. now since u say u have been trainign the last few years 'seriously' i feel as though ur best years are yet to come.

i think the things u have already stated is a solid start. cutting carbs is all well and good, however timing them correctly is the key in my mind, pre/post training, etc. if u have experienced success with 5/3/1 in teh past i would say continue with it but also dnt be afraid to expand on it to capitalize on ur strength and exploit ur weakness. nuthin beats hard work and diligence. hit it, hit it, hit it, every day, week, month, years. u have a full life already so finding time and meticulous planning for ur training is a must.

are planning on competing at 242 or 275?

P

Kowboy
03-14-13, 11:15 am
ahhh i see, not fillin me in on ur secret training. well now im wise to ur plan Mark. how r u gna catch me if we are using the same method??

P

Ya know, now it looks like I just have to give it my all and see how I fair. If you say the best years are 28 - 32 I only have a couple months to really kick some ass. You will like hte cube, I had to add in some things to make sure I hit my weak points.

I am trying to think of a comeback and I am drawing a blank....you had a head start lol

HIGA MONSTER
03-14-13, 11:17 am
awww always lookin out for me. is this because i asked to come to ur family reunion? i was only met with racism :/

Its not my fault you pulled only 13 reps...

HIGA MONSTER

P Diesel
03-14-13, 11:18 am
Ya know, now it looks like I just have to give it my all and see how I fair. If you say the best years are 28 - 32 I only have a couple months to really kick some ass. You will like hte cube, I had to add in some things to make sure I hit my weak points.

I am trying to think of a comeback and I am drawing a blank....you had a head start lol

hahaha no comeback needed. just bustin balls. and yea im lookin forward to it. interested to see where it takes me

P

P Diesel
03-14-13, 11:22 am
Its not my fault you pulled only 13 reps...

HIGA MONSTER

correct, it is mine.

did they test u for those designer asian drugs? or just normal ones?

P

Kowboy
03-14-13, 11:25 am
hahaha no comeback needed. just bustin balls. and yea im lookin forward to it. interested to see where it takes me

P

I expect you to bust my balls, you have since day 1 and I appreciate it. I can usually come up w/ something but I am fried this week. Curious to see how you like the cube. I have both versions but ended up going w/ the powerlifting one. My gym lifts are pretty weak so I think increasing them is where I need to build a good base. I can carry odd heavy shit, lift weird shit and flip shit a lot easier then I can bench, deads or squats lol.

P Diesel
03-14-13, 11:29 am
I expect you to bust my balls, you have since day 1 and I appreciate it. I can usually come up w/ something but I am fried this week. Curious to see how you like the cube. I have both versions but ended up going w/ the powerlifting one. My gym lifts are pretty weak so I think increasing them is where I need to build a good base. I can carry odd heavy shit, lift weird shit and flip shit a lot easier then I can bench, deads or squats lol.

shit man me too. i was tellin a lot of guys over the arnold weekend that staright lifting is all new to me. its feels like the first time ive trained before. but its a new chapter for me. i got the powerlifting version as well. once i start i will post a new thread with my progress

P

Kowboy
03-14-13, 11:32 am
shit man me too. i was tellin a lot of guys over the arnold weekend that staright lifting is all new to me. its feels like the first time ive trained before. but its a new chapter for me. i got the powerlifting version as well. once i start i will post a new thread with my progress

P

Sounds good, we have dudes that are strong as fuck come train strongman that blow me out of the water. So that tells me my training in the gym is what needs work. Especially my OHP

Theonidus
03-14-13, 11:33 am
If P Diesel is trying out the Cube Method, then I'm definitely subbed to see how he likes it. It's taken over the FORVM by storm but I've been reluctant to try it simply because I'm still exploring other options and just dicking around until I have a true goal set.
That, and I don't really like Dots.

machineman
03-14-13, 11:55 am
haha im sure. hell a wife or gf is enough, throw 4 kids in and thats a fulltime job bro.

as far as when u hit ur peak for size gains, strength, etc. i was always told between 28 - 32 are ur best years physically. with that said, i feel as thought u msut take into account how long u have been training seriously, setbacks like injury or havin' 4 kids haha. now since u say u have been trainign the last few years 'seriously' i feel as though ur best years are yet to come.

i think the things u have already stated is a solid start. cutting carbs is all well and good, however timing them correctly is the key in my mind, pre/post training, etc. if u have experienced success with 5/3/1 in teh past i would say continue with it but also dnt be afraid to expand on it to capitalize on ur strength and exploit ur weakness. nuthin beats hard work and diligence. hit it, hit it, hit it, every day, week, month, years. u have a full life already so finding time and meticulous planning for ur training is a must.

are planning on competing at 242 or 275?

P

P, thanks for the reply! Yea, planning is a must and even then, it sometimes doesn't work out the way I planned. I ALWAYS put my family first. There are many a night I am at the gym at 9pm, getting the work done before they close at 10. I also have a real small place I train that is limited access. It's a 20 minute drive but I have been known to hit that place up for some midnight sessions! When I do compete, I will compete at 275. At this point, I am not looking to lose weight. Maybe redistibute it to better areas. I have been lucky that the injury bug hasn't really got me yet. Now working around the kids is a PITA! But I wouldn't give that up for the world. I am sure I will have more questions for before too long.

Thanks bro!

GUNS
03-14-13, 4:35 pm
Machineman, I agree with what p says, but will also add in that 28-32 I was what I thought was strong for me. I had my heaviest bench at 27! With that said, I just hit that mark again at 42. And all my lifts are currently stronger than they have ever been! So just keep pushing forward and continue to get better. And I have my first PL meet in June, so the sky is the limit!

N. Motta
04-23-13, 11:27 pm
Hey P, wanted to ask for some advice and recommendations on something. I know that you have spent quite a bit of time working with troubled youth. I also seem to recall, or maybe I'm assuming, that you do a bit of regular reading.

My younger brother is 23. He recently overdosed for the 4th time. Heroine is his drug of choice. Aside from continually fucking up his life with his drug usage, he's a decent guy. But he has violated probation this time and is being sentenced Thursday, likely to do his first bid in prison.

I'm hoping you may have some recommendations of books for him to read. I went to visit him tonight and he asked me if I had any good books. I told him I have been thinking the same thing, that I'd like to get him something that could help him. Whether it be a great underlying message, something to stimulate some deep thinking, or even some form of a self help book. I dunno. Also, if you have any advice I can use, or pass along, that would be much appreciated. I know he still has a shot to 'start all over' and turn his life around if he wants, when he gets out.

Thanks for your time man.

P Diesel
04-24-13, 2:25 pm
Hey P, wanted to ask for some advice and recommendations on something. I know that you have spent quite a bit of time working with troubled youth. I also seem to recall, or maybe I'm assuming, that you do a bit of regular reading.

My younger brother is 23. He recently overdosed for the 4th time. Heroine is his drug of choice. Aside from continually fucking up his life with his drug usage, he's a decent guy. But he has violated probation this time and is being sentenced Thursday, likely to do his first bid in prison.

I'm hoping you may have some recommendations of books for him to read. I went to visit him tonight and he asked me if I had any good books. I told him I have been thinking the same thing, that I'd like to get him something that could help him. Whether it be a great underlying message, something to stimulate some deep thinking, or even some form of a self help book. I dunno. Also, if you have any advice I can use, or pass along, that would be much appreciated. I know he still has a shot to 'start all over' and turn his life around if he wants, when he gets out.

Thanks for your time man.

well first of all im sorry to hear that mostly for u and ur family. i dnt know ur brother but it has been my experience that sumtimes u need a substantial or jarring wake up call to break the cycle. i hope this will b his. lord knows we've all had our own.

Books, i would say im well read but do not read very often. There is a book called Between a Rock and a Hard Place, it may be applicable haha both in title and story. Not sure if ur familiar with Henry Rollins. Many ppl know him for his acting, music, a few quotes about weight lifting. However, he is one of my favorite authors. Life, love, fame, adversity, bein down and out, pullin urself up, whatever. He has a few books out, short stories, essays, quotes, poems, etc.

One thing i know is when u have nuthin but time like that u must keep ur mind busy. It is the only time in my life i read consistantly. Also, writing .. write anything and everything. U actually start to look forward to time ur alone to think and write, elaborate on ur current situation or maybe life as a whole. he will have nervous energy especially without that H to keep him occupied. get him into weight lifting, depending on his block he may get a chance to go every day or twice a week to use weights, other then that u gotta get creative ...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36456-The-Only-Way-To-Go-Is-Up&highlight=

more then anything, tell him to never let anyone see him down. keep his head up and keep it up. take any pain, sadness or even happiness and bury it. dnt make friends, u came in alone and ur gna leave alone.

if u want more books i know sumone who reads like nonstop so i can inquire on sum good reads.

hope this helps. keep me posted bro

P

N. Motta
04-24-13, 2:55 pm
I appreciate you taking the time to share the advice P. I have pretty much been echoing the same things you mentioned, to my whole family. Unfortunately my family has enabled in many ways for the past four years. I'm just trying to think of a way he can help himself while he does his time.

I will pass along your advice, while taking it in myself to try and help him find the right state of mind.

Thanks again P.

Aggression
05-12-13, 2:07 pm
Hope all is well on your end as of late, P. I'll catch up with you soon, homie.

P Diesel
05-13-13, 10:58 am
Hope all is well on your end as of late, P. I'll catch up with you soon, homie.

yo bro,

everything is good, busy but good. a littel banged up but that is to be expected haha. hope everything is good with u and ur new path is treatin u well so far. we will def catch up soon

P

P Diesel
05-14-13, 9:12 pm
if everyone could take a minute to look at my old 'Beyond Animal Outreach' thread. the last post. i need sum help with one of my kids. thanks :)

P

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36468-Beyond-Animal-Outreach&p=1318874#post1318874

Riffmaster
05-29-13, 9:26 pm
I watch the video of you and Higa in the cage almost daily. Watching the intensity and strength you've got when you're deadlifting is super motivational, not to mention your form and rep speed. My question is, you look really well defined, and like you could step on stage even. Yet, you can keep up with guys that are lifting incredible amounts of weight. So, what is your approach to training? Do you focus more on powerlifting at given moments, say, before a meet? And then keep the rest of yourself in a good physique the rest of the time? Or do you just mix powerlifting and bodybuilding? The reason I ask is because I want the physique of a bodybuilder but the strength of a strongman/powerlifter. The Lilly boys look jacked, you look jacked, Stan Efferding is jacked. Ox can move some serious weight too, and his physique is one of the best. What's the best way to train to get in both aspects if you want to stay ripped and strong year round? Thanks.

-Riffmaster

Altered Beast
05-30-13, 10:00 am
You can't be strong and jacked. You've got to pick one or the other. You can manage body fat, but strength comes from a surplus of calories.

I personally gain not "bulk" or whatever the stupid phrase is and begin slimming down 6-8 weeks before a Powerlifting meet for conditioning and weight purposes. I never go so far that I lose strength.

*I don't mean to speak for Higa, but every young male on the internet is asking that same question EVERYWHERE you go!

Theonidus
05-30-13, 10:55 am
*I don't mean to speak for Higa, but every young male on the internet is asking that same question EVERYWHERE you go!

You're answering for Higa in P Diesel's thread?
And I'm genuinely interested in how P would reply to his question, especially since his answer to Aggressions and my question about a similar topic was rather helpful.

Nix0r
05-30-13, 11:03 am
You can't be strong and jacked. You've got to pick one or the other. You can manage body fat, but strength comes from a surplus of calories.

Because Dan Green, Eric Lilliebridge, P, and Stan Efferding (just to name a few) aren't?

C'mon.

Altered Beast
05-30-13, 2:31 pm
Because Dan Green, Eric Lilliebridge, P, and Stan Efferding (just to name a few) aren't?

C'mon.

Yeah.....they have gained weight over time and continue to do so. Stan recently complained that he needed to lose some weight just as a quick example.

Ask them on their threads. They do what I do and up their conditioning before meets. Don't be a fool...

Altered Beast
05-30-13, 2:31 pm
You're answering for Higa in P Diesel's thread?
And I'm genuinely interested in how P would reply to his question, especially since his answer to Aggressions and my question about a similar topic was rather helpful.

Got confused.

You're one of the few who didn't get to meet me at the Arnold =)

*Nix even told me he was still going to mess with me even though we met in person and I was way way way way way more than what everyone expected. So don't follow his lead =) He's Nix, you're not.

Theonidus
05-30-13, 2:53 pm
He's Nix, you're not.

You're right. I'm not Nix. I am me. And I am usually perfectly capable of my own rational thoughts and actions. Nix and I just see alike on many things.
Thank God there aren't more of either one of us.
And I thank God that there aren't more of you.

Nix0r
05-30-13, 3:55 pm
Yeah.....they have gained weight over time and continue to do so. Stan recently complained that he needed to lose some weight just as a quick example.

Ask them on their threads. They do what I do and up their conditioning before meets. Don't be a fool...

Um... what.

I don't like to get all creepy Facebook picture stealing, but let's face some damn facts here.

Lilliebridge: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/563755_10151349215731681_865379315_n.jpg

Green: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/72919_4317716747869_1536634804_n.jpg

If you can honestly say that after seeing those, that they are not both strong and jacked, then you are delusional.

GUNS
05-30-13, 4:13 pm
[QUOTE=Altered and I was way way way way way more than what everyone expected.[/QUOTE]

Please explain!

Riffmaster
05-30-13, 4:19 pm
I'm sorry if I caused some controversy here, I was just genuinely curious. I wasn't about to jump into this blind without seeing what all these other guys I named off looked like. That's why I asked if they trained and ate one way for a certain time and then kept lean the other times. Altered Beast, thank you for the no B.S. reply, and the info you gave. I understand that your body needs all those calories from the beating it gets. I didn't mean to irritate you (if I did). To all the others who are, in a sense, "defending" my question, thank you. I'm new to the idea of powerlifting, and just wanted to try to cover certain areas of it that I'm concerned with. If you could point me in the direction of where this has been brought up before, or where the best info on it is, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks fellas.

-Riffmaster

Appollonian
05-30-13, 4:38 pm
I'm still looking forward to P's answer for another viewpoint.

Altered Beast
05-30-13, 4:53 pm

I feel stupid thinking this was Higa's thread! I saw a post from Higa and I guess it threw me off =\

*The exception never proves the rule. Mark Bell even discussed this very issue......

Appollonian
05-30-13, 5:14 pm
I feel stupid thinking this was Higa's thread! I saw a post from Higa and I guess it threw me off =\

*The exception never proves the rule. Mark Bell even discussed this very issue......

Altered Beast I wasn't trying to say you were stupid, I'm really just looking forward to P's answer. I'll take all viewpoints and apply what makes sense to me, and I'm always open to other possibly opposing viewpoints.

Riffmaster
05-30-13, 5:16 pm
Altered Beast I wasn't trying to say you were stupid, I'm really just looking forward to P's answer. I'll take all viewpoints and apply what makes sense to me, and I'm always open to other possibly opposing viewpoints.

Amen. We're all here to learn and share knowledge.

Shukin
05-30-13, 5:50 pm

I personally gain not "bulk" or whatever the stupid phrase is and begin slimming down 6-8 weeks before a Powerlifting meet for conditioning and weight purposes. I never go so far that I lose strength.

Here is a clear examples
http://youtu.be/dvBdv1J5LeI
http://youtu.be/MB9by-mGYEk

Riffmaster
05-30-13, 5:58 pm
Here is a clear examples
http://youtu.be/dvBdv1J5LeI
http://youtu.be/MB9by-mGYEk

Good lord. Those guys are insane! Thanks for sharing!

Shukin
05-30-13, 6:07 pm
Good lord. Those guys are insane! Thanks for sharing!

No worries bro, there are plenty of jacked and strong dudes out there.

Riffmaster
05-30-13, 6:11 pm
No worries bro, there are plenty of jacked and strong dudes out there.

And see, I don't have aspirations to lift ungodly weights, but I want to be able to back up my size, ya know? I see all these ripped guys that can't lift anything and aren't intense at all. They're just pretty boys. Does that make sense?

Shukin
05-30-13, 6:16 pm
And see, I don't have aspirations to lift ungodly weights, but I want to be able to back up my size, ya know? I see all these ripped guys that can't lift anything and aren't intense at all. They're just pretty boys. Does that make sense?

yep.
I'm curious as to P's answer.

So your looking to be as strong or stronger than you look, not look stronger than you are, correct?

Riffmaster
05-30-13, 6:19 pm
yep.

So your looking to be as strong or stronger than you look, not look stronger than you are, correct?

EXACTLY. Appearance is nothing. But I see nothing wrong with looking fit and being a monster too.

P Diesel
05-30-13, 8:35 pm

yep.

u will have my response shortly, eating first.

A. Beast dnt argue on my fuckin thread bro

P

Shukin
05-30-13, 8:48 pm
A. Beast dnt argue on my fuckin thread bro

P

literally laughing out loud.

I'll check in later, off to walmart to see some of Seath relatives.

P Diesel
05-31-13, 5:22 pm
I watch the video of you and Higa in the cage almost daily. Watching the intensity and strength you've got when you're deadlifting is super motivational, not to mention your form and rep speed. My question is, you look really well defined, and like you could step on stage even. Yet, you can keep up with guys that are lifting incredible amounts of weight. So, what is your approach to training? Do you focus more on powerlifting at given moments, say, before a meet? And then keep the rest of yourself in a good physique the rest of the time? Or do you just mix powerlifting and bodybuilding? The reason I ask is because I want the physique of a bodybuilder but the strength of a strongman/powerlifter. The Lilly boys look jacked, you look jacked, Stan Efferding is jacked. Ox can move some serious weight too, and his physique is one of the best. What's the best way to train to get in both aspects if you want to stay ripped and strong year round? Thanks.

-Riffmaster

haha i dnt know that im deserving to be talked about in the same breath as Stan, Evan or the Lilliebridges, but thank u. and thanks for the complement on my speed, its sumthin ive worked on for years now and i take a lot of pride in it.

i cannot tell you what is best, only what ive found works for me and others like me, its a constant evolution. as opinions and results widely vary from athlete to athlete, to each their own ya know.

my mentallity when approching my own body and strength as an athlete is that when i step on the platform or into the arena i want to be 100% usable muscle, functional mass. for instance Brandon Lilly talks about becoming an alpha. alpha male, alpha dog, whatever. alphas dnt follow, they lead and set the tone for others, and i dnt follow very well. to me it means bein the baddest dude that ever walked the earth.

more and more i hear ppl saying they never wanna be one of those big fat powerliters or strongman. and more and more u see athletes working toward what i would refer to as a hybrid athlete, wildly strong and damn near stage ready in their physique. it is your life in this sport and if u want both then u shall have it. but keep in mind its not gna be easy.

as far as staying 'ripped' year around, it doesnt work for me. i mean, i could but i wouldnt make the gains i am after. i am only speaking for myself here, but incorporating a few cycles of bulking throughout the year allows me to make significant strength gains while adding additional mass. not to say that u would not gain staying extremely lean and sum dudes do, very well. but for me i increase my numbers much more effectively spending time a little heavier and less lean. now, when i drop to my weight class i am extremely lean, going along with my concept of being completely functional and usable muscle when i compete, like a predator. this is completely for my own gratification. i do this over time and never lose strength as a result. i have never been a fan of dropping weight quickly. through this process of bulking and cutting i increase my muscle size and strength each year, while being able to stay relatively lean and athletic the large majority of the year, which is how u would see my physique at an event such as the Arnold. i am not competing and not what i consider extremely lean but still in shape and far from bulked.

training is consistent year around, hard and heavy. my heavy lifts stay heavy always. but i also incorporate 'bodybuilding' movements which provide size, shape and support. coming from a football and strongman background i pull from those experiences to add to my training as well to stay fast and explosive. over the years my priorities as an athlete have changed. currently strength trumps every other goal, athleticism is second and aesthetics or physique is third but still a priority. i can admit it wasnt always so haha. find what it most important to u and gear ur training toward it, doesnt mean u need to neglect other areas of the sport u enjoy. become a hybrid but always be an alpha.

P

Riffmaster
05-31-13, 5:39 pm
haha i dnt know that im deserving to be talked about in the same breath as Stan, Evan or the Lilliebridges, but thank u. and thanks for the complement on my speed, its sumthin ive worked on for years now and i take a lot of pride in it.

i cannot tell you what is best, only what ive found works for me and others like me, its a constant evolution. as opinions and results widely vary from athlete to athlete, to each their own ya know.

my mentallity when approching my own body and strength as an athlete is that when i step on the platform or into the arena i want to be 100% usable muscle, functional mass. for instance Brandon Lilly talks about becoming an alpha. alpha male, alpha dog, whatever. alphas dnt follow, they lead and set the tone for others, and i dnt follow very well. to me it means bein the baddest dude that ever walked the earth.

more and more i hear ppl saying they never wanna be one of those big fat powerliters or strongman. and more and more u see athletes working toward what i would refer to as a hybrid athlete, wildly strong and damn near stage ready in their physique. it is your life in this sport and if u want both then u shall have it. but keep in mind its not gna be easy.

as far as staying 'ripped' year around, it doesnt work for me. i mean, i could but i wouldnt make the gains i am after. i am only speaking for myself here, but incorporating a few cycles of bulking throughout the year allows me to make significant strength gains while adding additional mass. not to say that u would not gain staying extremely lean and sum dudes do, very well. but for me i increase my numbers much more effectively spending time a little heavier and less lean. now, when i drop to my weight class i am extremely lean, going along with my concept of being completely functional and usable muscle when i compete, like a predator. this is completely for my own gratification. i do this over time and never lose strength as a result. i have never been a fan of dropping weight quickly. through this process of bulking and cutting i increase my muscle size and strength each year, while being able to stay relatively lean and athletic the large majority of the year, which is how u would see my physique at an event such as the Arnold. i am not competing and not what i consider extremely lean but still in shape and far from bulked.

training is consistent year around, hard and heavy. my heavy lifts stay heavy always. but i also incorporate 'bodybuilding' movements which provide size, shape and support. coming from a football and strongman background i pull from those experiences to add to my training as well to stay fast and explosive. over the years my priorities as an athlete have changed. currently strength trumps every other goal, athleticism is second and aesthetics or physique is third but still a priority. i can admit it wasnt always so haha. find what it most important to u and gear ur training toward it, doesnt mean u need to neglect other areas of the sport u enjoy. become a hybrid but always be an alpha.

P

P, thank you SO MUCH for the reply. You gave me the exact answer I was looking for. I always hear people say if you want to be lean you have to train lighter. I call total B.S. on that. Heavy weight builds muscle. It's a simple formula. As long as diet and cardio/conditioning are in check, you will lean out and be huge. Your answer is helping me piece together my goals for the winter. I understand you have to gain a little extra fat to be able to push your strength up, your body needs it. But like you said, some people can stay lean while doing it, and I plan to. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But at least I tried, right? That's what it's all about, trial and error. And I get what you mean about being alpha. You gotta be the biggest, fittest, strongest, and meanest mofo wherever you go. I look forward to training with this new found knowledge. Thanks again P, it really means a lot that you took the time to really break it all down for me. I guarantee that I will put it to use and you won't regret giving me a response. Thanks man.

-Riffmaster

showtime721
06-02-13, 3:55 pm
i have a question, how come Animal/Universal Nutrition hasn't sponsored Eric Spoto??? Seems like that would be a no brainer!

LoneWolf45
06-02-13, 4:37 pm
Yo P,
You looked like you put on a lot of mass since the Arnold when i saw you at the Allentown ABC. Do you have your diet posted anywhere on the forum?
Also, what gym do you train at?

Shukin
06-03-13, 12:08 am

P
Very good read, thank you.

Respect, S

GUNS
06-03-13, 9:45 am
Agree Shukin, I think P is dead on.

The number one thing he said, is this is what works for him. His ways also works for me, but that is not the case with everyone. Look how tall P is and I would bet the guy is/was considered a hard gainer. 6' + guys just dont grow that easy. 1 pound of muscle on P would not look anything close to a guy who is 5-9. Im sure there are freaks of nature out there, but its just not that easy. So throwing a bulker in there is just a way some of us have to go. It has worked pretty good for me. You absolutely cant get caught up in the "weight" game though. When you look like a fat ass because you wanted to be 260, there has to be a cut back so you can stay as P said, functional!

Great post P!

P Diesel
06-03-13, 10:24 am
i have a question, how come Animal/Universal Nutrition hasn't sponsored Eric Spoto??? Seems like that would be a no brainer!

haha that question is above my pay grade brotha. i would guess that Spoto has his own things goin on. unheard of pressing ability

P

P Diesel
06-03-13, 10:35 am
Yo P,
You looked like you put on a lot of mass since the Arnold when i saw you at the Allentown ABC. Do you have your diet posted anywhere on the forum?
Also, what gym do you train at?

thank brotha haha, with my new training and bulking im up about 30 since the Arnold. no i dnt have it posted, bits and pieces. but if u check out my Bulking thread ill put up sumthin for ya.

i train at the school i work at in Glen Mills PA, total dungeon.

P

P Diesel
10-19-13, 10:09 am
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=625313674188263&id=254585537927747

P

LoneWolf45
11-15-13, 9:12 am
Yooo P. I will be signing up for the Christmas carnage today.
I did buy the cube that weekend after the Bloomsburg meet, and started it that Monday. It has been awesome, also mixing in some cube kingpin now. Volume training has been awesome, i never knew i would get my bench up while not even going over 3 plates.

I switched my deadlift form too sumo, and am a lot stronger there. Pulled 535 in training on a heavy day.

Bench may be up 20lbs and squat 30lbs.
1,500 is very possible if i can go 580/380/540 at 198 still.
I did press 365 easy for a single, probably could of gotten 2 or 3 reps.

P Diesel
11-15-13, 11:02 am
Yooo P. I will be signing up for the Christmas carnage today.
I did buy the cube that weekend after the Bloomsburg meet, and started it that Monday. It has been awesome, also mixing in some cube kingpin now. Volume training has been awesome, i never knew i would get my bench up while not even going over 3 plates.

I switched my deadlift form too sumo, and am a lot stronger there. Pulled 535 in training on a heavy day.

Bench may be up 20lbs and squat 30lbs.
1,500 is very possible if i can go 580/380/540 at 198 still.
I did press 365 easy for a single, probably could of gotten 2 or 3 reps.

yo bro,

great to hear about ur success! its all figurin out what works for u and then puttin in the time, which i know u do. and yea i know, its wild right? how i train now goes against everythign i thought was correct as young lifter. but it works.

big change goin to sumo, a lot of ppl cant change and adapt like that. but if it fits u then get after it bro. when is the christmas carnage meet? ill be waiting to hear how u do. jersey states/east coast championships is the last week of jan as well.

P

LoneWolf45
11-15-13, 11:30 am
yo bro,

great to hear about ur success! its all figurin out what works for u and then puttin in the time, which i know u do. and yea i know, its wild right? how i train now goes against everythign i thought was correct as young lifter. but it works.

big change goin to sumo, a lot of ppl cant change and adapt like that. but if it fits u then get after it bro. when is the christmas carnage meet? ill be waiting to hear how u do. jersey states/east coast championships is the last week of jan as well.

P

The carnage is the 7th of December, which gave me time to run 3 waves of the cube which is perfect.
Yes i think sumo is better for me, because my squat/leg strength is very good.

Ill let ya know how it goes

P Diesel
11-15-13, 11:38 am
The carnage is the 7th of December, which gave me time to run 3 waves of the cube which is perfect.
Yes i think sumo is better for me, because my squat/leg strength is very good.

Ill let ya know how it goes

awesome, good choice on both the meet and switching to sumo then. jsut remember to tailor that program to ur needs, knowing ur strengths and weaknesses. and jsut as a side note, i had sum success with a deload the week before meet week. lets my CNS recoup before a max lift.

P

LoneWolf45
11-15-13, 4:58 pm
awesome, good choice on both the meet and switching to sumo then. jsut remember to tailor that program to ur needs, knowing ur strengths and weaknesses. and jsut as a side note, i had sum success with a deload the week before meet week. lets my CNS recoup before a max lift.

P

Ok, cool. Did you still go in the gym and lift light the week of?
Or are you saying you just took the whole week off from the gym.

I was going to lift light that monday and tuesday and then take wendsday,thursday,friday off from the gym. Meet saturday...does that sound good...?

LoneWolf45
11-15-13, 5:00 pm
I hate taking days off from the gym. Those last 3 days always suck, if that's what i decide to do.

P Diesel
11-16-13, 11:14 am
Ok, cool. Did you still go in the gym and lift light the week of?
Or are you saying you just took the whole week off from the gym.

I was going to lift light that monday and tuesday and then take wendsday,thursday,friday off from the gym. Meet saturday...does that sound good...?

I hate taking days off from the gym. Those last 3 days always suck, if that's what i decide to do.

Sum guys continue heavy the week before meet week. I find that a deload that week helps me out after having hit it heavy for the previous 9, 10 sumtimes 12 week leading up. And then yea the week of I get in there Monday Tuesday sumtimes Wednesday. Triple my openers, do sum cardio if I'm gna b cutting to a weight class. Give my large muscles a rest as well as my core. I know what u mean. Ur in he gym damn near every day then leading up to an event to take those few days away is counterintuitive haha.

P