PDA

View Full Version : Smith Machine help

greek91
05-06-12, 8:21 pm
The good weight room at my school is closed for the next two weeks, meaning I need to do my 5/3/1 training in the "fitness center", where there are no barbells, no chin bars, and mostly just machines. I was wondering if any of ya have had experience doing heavy squats, presses, or deads in a Smith Machine? Should I change up anything form-wise to make it more doable?

Operator
05-06-12, 9:26 pm
On my heavy shoulder days, I use the smith machine. I do reps of 12;8;6;6;4.

You could most certainly do squats on a smith machine, as well as dead lifts. I did dead's on a smith machine a couple times, I liked it. But I stuck with the traditional free weight deads, just because thats how its meant to be. But for the unfortunate roadblock, you can for sure use the smith machine for these and still get just as good as a lift.

xrealityapproachesx
05-07-12, 5:46 pm
i'd add some extra weight if i were doing them on the smith machines. i'd say like an extra 50 pounds.

PORTERHOUSE
05-07-12, 7:09 pm
I got a hernia squatting on a smith machine a long time ago, surgery, 4 weeks out, I hate those things.

mcbeast
05-07-12, 7:13 pm
I would stray away from the smith machine. Especially for movements like the squat & deadlift. If you can use db's for your pressing. Stick with some leg pressing' bodyweight squats and leg curls for lower body work. If needs be for the next two weeks just stick to a traditional "chest/tris" etc routine. If anything it will be a good break from 5/3/1 & you wil be eager to get back into it.

greek91
05-07-12, 9:31 pm
thanks alot for the feedback guys. tried it out tonight for shoulder press. Just awful. I can't even imagine doing the rest of the week like this. It just doesnt compare to a barbell in terms of control. I'm either finding a new gym for a couple weeks, or taking mcbeast's advice and switching it up. Maybe keep the split the same and just switch the heavy work out with different movements

greek91
05-07-12, 9:33 pm
I would stray away from the smith machine. Especially for movements like the squat & deadlift. If you can use db's for your pressing. Stick with some leg pressing' bodyweight squats and leg curls for lower body work. If needs be for the next two weeks just stick to a traditional "chest/tris" etc routine. If anything it will be a good break from 5/3/1 & you wil be eager to get back into it.

That right there is a real positive way of looking at a less than stellar situation. Gotta make the best of what I got. Like Ox recently said, "Be like water". Thanks for the advice

FITGYM
05-08-12, 12:52 am
a smith machine is an excellent piece when using strict form

keep in mind the bar weight doesn't count for total weight lifted since it has counter weight

only basic movements work best and you are limited to a few

spartan300
05-08-12, 6:47 am
thanks alot for the feedback guys. tried it out tonight for shoulder press. Just awful. I can't even imagine doing the rest of the week like this. It just doesnt compare to a barbell in terms of control. I'm either finding a new gym for a couple weeks, or taking mcbeast's advice and switching it up. Maybe keep the split the same and just switch the heavy work out with different movements

Positioning yourself under the bar is key in determining the path in which the bar will travel. Simple right? A smith machine is very unforgiving. Do a couple of sets with minimal poundage to find your "GROVE". When I do use a smith rack it takes several sets to find the "spot" Also be aware most are counter balanced which means the weight of the bar is negated. One more thing if the rails are angled be sure you're going in the right direction. GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT!

Pizzalamp
05-08-12, 3:32 pm
now would be an ideal time to adopt a hardcore bodyweight training routine
put some weights in a backpack and go at it
lets rock some 100lb weighted pushups for sets of 20
100lb weighted pullups from a tree branch
single leg squats with perfect form
hip thrusts
rkc planks done to the point of your toesshaking
walking lunges with bags of dog food on your shoulder or sandbags
jogging outside
sprints on the beach