PDA

View Full Version : Ain't dead yet...

neKrawler
05-11-12, 1:05 pm
A bit of a backstory... almost exactly 1 week ago I was in Moab, UT with my wife and a great group of friends doing some offroading. As we were working our way back to our trucks after finishing some lunch, I tried to skirt between 2 trucks to make it back to mine. The truck on the uphill starting moving forward, so that was my cue to go. Unfortunately their dog, who was laying on the front passenger floor, bumped one of the shifters into neutral and the truck rolled backwards pinning me up against another truck. The upper corner of a steel basket was planted right on my spine, and the vertical corner of the basket was on my left serratus anterior muscle. Across my front I had a hi-lift jack straight across my left pec. I was pinned for probably 15-20 seconds until some other people were able to push the uphill truck away from me. Luckily my wife didn't see anything until I was already free of the vehicles.

A couple people immediately lifted up my shirt to check the extents of injuries and at first thought the basket had pushed my spine in an arc to the left, but after ~45 minutes or so of sitting and not moving, they realized it was the serratus anterior and the muscle had worked itself back to normal position. For the next 1.5 hours after the accident, I was tended to by a former Navy diver(?), a LEO and a nursing student, so I felt like I was in fairly capable hands. Until S&R showed up, most people were worried about cracked/broken ribs and possible internal bleeding. The whole time though I was able to keep a reasonably mellow 90-95 bpm. Thank goodness for heavy metal on the stereo.

Search and Rescue flew in by chopper, because that was really the easiest way in/out of the trail, and the local sheriff drove in as well. I was given a complete once over by EMTs and they then started discussing how they would get me out of my truck and onto a backboard. I politely asked if I could try getting out under my own power. The EMTs were skeptical, but gave me the go-ahead. I climbed out with no problems, no tingling or loss of feeling in any extremities and otherwise felt pretty good considering.

As others realized before I did, my back beef is what saved me from being in a wheel chair or 6 feet under. My back and chest are healing surprisingly quickly, and am in agony waiting for next week before I head back to the gym.

So back to my purpose for writing this... I need a decent sized Animal logo (larger than the typical internet pixel-ated offerings) that I can sketch up and take to be tattooed on my chest for another story in my book of life.

Chris