PDA

View Full Version : cambered bar squats

xrealityapproachesx
05-14-12, 10:25 pm
hey guys,
do you tend to squat more or less (than with a straight bar) when using a cambered bar?

BigChrisF
05-15-12, 12:36 am
I have never tried a maximum squat on my giant camber bar, but I would think that I would squat less than I would with a straight bar. I believe this because the swing of the bar would exploit my tendency to fall forward with near max weights.

T o m m Y
05-15-12, 10:52 am
I have never tried a maximum squat on my giant camber bar, but I would think that I would squat less than I would with a straight bar. I believe this because the swing of the bar would exploit my tendency to fall forward with near max weights.

x2.. ive used the big cambered bar and it REALLY forces you to stay tight and keep it from swinging..

SomeDayI'llBeXL
05-18-12, 1:46 pm
I love using that bar, especially for Good Mornings....but know, I can not squat as much with it as I can a regular bar. Most of the specialty bars force you to use less weight than the standard bar does

blueIMlifter
05-19-12, 2:21 pm
Definitely less because of the nature of the bar pulling you forward. It's a great move to throw into a routine for variation from normal squats.

For further variation with the cambered bar (I own a cambered bar with about a 6-7inch hitch, not a giant cam bar) use it for good mornings, bench press, and bent rows.

xrealityapproachesx
05-20-12, 9:55 am
how do you use it for bench press? i saw that mentioned before and can't really figure it out... would you have the part sticking out touch your chest? like a board press?

TigerAce01
05-20-12, 10:46 am
how do you use it for bench press? i saw that mentioned before and can't really figure it out... would you have the part sticking out touch your chest? like a board press?

You can't use a giant cambered bar, like the one most squat with.

Check this: http://train.elitefts.com/exercises-by-body-part/triceps-exercises-by-body-part/cambered-bar-bench-press/

...plus, the chick is pretty hot lol

- Ace

blueIMlifter
05-24-12, 11:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwILkij_fkI

-Check this video for proper form demonstration. This is one of my good friends from Michigan. Cam bench has 2 sticking points instead of 1 on normal bench. Def give it a shot if you can. Be prepared to go SUPER slow at the bottom (maybe even pausing) due to the massive stretch required for full ROM on this lift. Be careful, and be sure to lower the weight to accommodate the change.

Also, notice that this is not a giant cambered bar, but rather a cam bar with a 7-8inch dip.