PDA

View Full Version : Essential equipment

Saeger
05-16-12, 7:37 am
I am working out in my garage at home and have a F/I Bench with olympic weights and bar, curl bar, dumbells and a dip/ pullup station. My question is, can I form a workout that is formed around this equipment and get the same results that I could in the gym with their added equipment? I still plan to get a weight belt with a chain so I can utilize my dip/ pullup station better. I have found most the gyms I have visited in my area suck do to the amount of people I need to fight through to do my routine. Any thoughts fellas.

Big Wides
05-16-12, 8:42 am
I am working out in my garage at home and have a F/I Bench with olympic weights and bar, curl bar, dumbells and a dip/ pullup station. My question is, can I form a workout that is formed around this equipment and get the same results that I could in the gym with their added equipment? I still plan to get a weight belt with a chain so I can utilize my dip/ pullup station better. I have found most the gyms I have visited in my area suck do to the amount of people I need to fight through to do my routine. Any thoughts fellas.

the short answer is yes you can. you have the weights and essentials for building any type of physique and to be honest I train at a commercial gym and only use barbells, dumbells and the dips bar. what the best part about the equipment you have is, you can get creative with what your training and how your training. As long as your diet is up to par and the intensity is there you can gain.

Saeger
05-16-12, 9:19 am
the short answer is yes you can. you have the weights and essentials for building any type of physique and to be honest I train at a commercial gym and only use barbells, dumbells and the dips bar. what the best part about the equipment you have is, you can get creative with what your training and how your training. As long as your diet is up to par and the intensity is there you can gain.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I have everything together when I begin so I have no hiccups. I think I have my diet set and picked out my stack. This was the last piece of the puzzle making sure my equipment was up to par and that I wasn't missing something. I would like to get a cross cable machine but that's lots of cash and lots of space so I'll have to put that off for now. Thanks for the help Big.

Polk17
05-16-12, 9:26 am
Id recommend a platform to Deadlift (homemade & cheap) Squat stands to Squat and Overhead Press with, then you have everything you'd ever need... You can get some Squat Stands pretty cheap...

Saeger
05-16-12, 9:48 am
Id recommend a platform to Deadlift (homemade & cheap) Squat stands to Squat and Overhead Press with, then you have everything you'd ever need... You can get some Squat Stands pretty cheap...

Thanks, I will make a platorm, don't know why I didnt do this already. My bar stands on my bench go up high enough for me to use for the overhead press, and I will look into the squat stands in my area and probably get some as well.

Polk17
05-16-12, 10:06 am
Thanks, I will make a platorm, don't know why I didnt do this already. My bar stands on my bench go up high enough for me to use for the overhead press, and I will look into the squat stands in my area and probably get some as well.

Look on the Crossfit Websites, they have some for dirt, like $180...

PORTERHOUSE
05-16-12, 11:05 am
I have never understood the deadlift platform. I mean I know why you use the legit ones, but I mean the ones like this:

https://www.bbfitness.com/storefront/index.php/used-equipment/star-trac-deadlift-platform.html

What is this supposed to do?

Polk17
05-16-12, 1:16 pm
I have never understood the deadlift platform. I mean I know why you use the legit ones, but I mean the ones like this:

https://www.bbfitness.com/storefront/index.php/used-equipment/star-trac-deadlift-platform.html

What is this supposed to do?

The one I'm doing in my garage is 13 2 x 6's with plywood and carpet over it... Keep my floor intact, and keep the noise down...

Bruiser
05-16-12, 2:47 pm
The first 6 months I got back into training, all I had was a set of 20 lb DBs and a resistance band. You just gotta make it work. Sometimes having to be creative with your training is what sparks some HUGE gains.

Saeger
05-16-12, 2:56 pm
The first 6 months I got back into training, all I had was a set of 20 lb DBs and a resistance band. You just gotta make it work. Sometimes having to be creative with your training is what sparks some HUGE gains.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

PORTERHOUSE
05-16-12, 3:11 pm
The one I'm doing in my garage is 13 2 x 6's with plywood and carpet over it... Keep my floor intact, and keep the noise down...

Oh yea I know about those, that's what I meant by "legit" ones, I should have been more clear. But I'm talking about the ones like in the picture I linked too, I don't get them.

We got one in my gym, and I see guys pulling on it all the time (not big guys, though), and I just don't see the point. Why do you need a miniature stage to pull from? I pull from the ground, or from a real platform, I'd be afraid I'd fall off of the thing I have pictured there.

Bruiser
05-16-12, 3:32 pm
The important question is, what are your goals? Are you looking at doing more of a bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman or a combination of those?

Saeger
05-16-12, 3:40 pm
The important question is, what are your goals? Are you looking at doing more of a bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman or a combination of those?

I am looking to be as strong and as lean as possible. I have always had a problem getting lean muscle but build mass moderately easy. So I hope to lean down until im happy with my body fat% and then become freakishly strong. Maybe strong man i guess, I'm new so still dialing in what to call it or my overall goals, but definitely want strength most of all.

Bruiser
05-16-12, 4:03 pm
I am looking to be as strong and as lean as possible. I have always had a problem getting lean muscle but build mass moderately easy. So I hope to lean down until im happy with my body fat% and then become freakishly strong. Maybe strong man i guess, I'm new so still dialing in what to call it or my overall goals, but definitely want strength most of all.

If you want to look at strongman/powerlifting type training it's actually easier to stock a home gym. Trust me! Lol. I've been building one in my garage too. I lucked out and found a power rack with lat tower attachment. So I've got all my bases covered. But look into making your own equipment. Get some chains from the hardware store (for benching). Look around at farms or tire places for old tires. Most farmers or places that replace heavy duty equipment tires will give you old tractor tires for free so they don't have to pay for disposal. Get one for flipping and for using a sledgehammer on. The sledge will cost you under $20 and the tire should be free. The more outside the box you think, the easier and cheaper it becomes. Just go to a powerlifting/strongman gym and see what they use. Then go to the hardware store or farm equipment supplier and just walk around and look. You'd be surprised just how much stuff you can use as is for strength equipment or make yourself!

Saeger
05-16-12, 4:08 pm
If you want to look at strongman/powerlifting type training it's actually easier to stock a home gym. Trust me! Lol. I've been building one in my garage too. I lucked out and found a power rack with lat tower attachment. So I've got all my bases covered. But look into making your own equipment. Get some chains from the hardware store (for benching). Look around at farms or tire places for old tires. Most farmers or places that replace heavy duty equipment tires will give you old tractor tires for free so they don't have to pay for disposal. Get one for flipping and for using a sledgehammer on. The sledge will cost you under $20 and the tire should be free. The more outside the box you think, the easier and cheaper it becomes. Just go to a powerlifting/strongman gym and see what they use. Then go to the hardware store or farm equipment supplier and just walk around and look. You'd be surprised just how much stuff you can use as is for strength equipment or make yourself!

Thanks Bruiser, I grew up on a farm so the tractor tire is no problem nor are the chains. I may go this route for alot of my equipment. Definitely appreciated for pointing me in this direction. I was thinking straight Iron even though i knew guys were using this stuff, for some reason didnt consider it myself.

Deathride
05-16-12, 4:14 pm
Dude, a fellow home gym warrior! When I started I had a beginners weight set (bar / db's / free weights) and a pullup bar.

I've recently added a squat rack (that goes low enough to be a bench stand) that has dip handles and a flat bench that slides into the squat rack for benching / db benching. Inventiveness is the key.....I'm currently managing powerlifting training in my flat.

Cable pushdown / overhead extension etc - put a towrope over your pullup bar.......dumbbell on one end, hold the other (or use another dumbbell / a rod for a straight bar attachment)

Weighted pullups / dips - just use a backpack. Wear it front on for pullups / on your back for dips.

Bags full of sand / gravel make great overhead press tools.

Used tyres are usually free!

And if you don't have it (GHR etc), use an alternative exercise (the good morning is your friend! :-D)

Hit me up via PM if I can help anymore. Trust me, i've done much more ridiculous things than listed here.......

Bruiser
05-16-12, 4:15 pm
Thanks Bruiser, I grew up on a farm so the tractor tire is no problem nor are the chains. I may go this route for alot of my equipment. Definitely appreciated for pointing me in this direction. I was thinking straight Iron even though i knew guys were using this stuff, for some reason didnt consider it myself.

No problem. Plus all this kind of training will build great functional strength. And if you grew up on a farm... you know how important that is! Lol. A lot of guys forget how important basic functional strength is when it comes to lifting. A strong core and grip will help you in almost every lift you do. One of my favorite that I came up with is a grenade ball chain crucifix hold... I call it the Crucifucked! Lol. I've got a 4" grenade ball (EliteFTS) and I clip an 8 lb chain to it (Ace hardware). I lift it up and give it a shake and then hold it in the crucifix position as long as possible. That will strengthen your grip, delts and all the small connective tissue in your shoulders! Brutal!

Saeger
05-16-12, 4:26 pm
No problem. Plus all this kind of training will build great functional strength. And if you grew up on a farm... you know how important that is! Lol. A lot of guys forget how important basic functional strength is when it comes to lifting. A strong core and grip will help you in almost every lift you do. One of my favorite that I came up with is a grenade ball chain crucifix hold... I call it the Crucifucked! Lol. I've got a 4" grenade ball (EliteFTS) and I clip an 8 lb chain to it (Ace hardware). I lift it up and give it a shake and then hold it in the crucifix position as long as possible. That will strengthen your grip, delts and all the small connective tissue in your shoulders! Brutal!

Sounds awesome, Do you have two, one for each hand? I may copy this great Idea.

Bruiser
05-16-12, 4:31 pm
Sounds awesome, Do you have two, one for each hand? I may copy this great Idea.

No, I just got one. But that works out better, because it make me have to use my core to keep my body straight.

BigChrisF
05-16-12, 6:36 pm
Oh yea I know about those, that's what I meant by "legit" ones, I should have been more clear. But I'm talking about the ones like in the picture I linked too, I don't get them.

We got one in my gym, and I see guys pulling on it all the time (not big guys, though), and I just don't see the point. Why do you need a miniature stage to pull from? I pull from the ground, or from a real platform, I'd be afraid I'd fall off of the thing I have pictured there.

I believe the idea was so that flexible people can do stiff leg deadlifts with a greater range of motion than standing on the floor.

PORTERHOUSE
05-16-12, 6:46 pm
I believe the idea was so that flexible people can do stiff leg deadlifts with a greater range of motion than standing on the floor.

Yea that's probably right, but for $700, I'll skip the extra couple inches.

Saeger
05-17-12, 7:15 am
No, I just got one. But that works out better, because it make me have to use my core to keep my body straight.

Sweet, I like it. I may pick one of these up this week.

Saeger
05-17-12, 7:20 am

Thanks Polk, I may put one of these together for more depth and protecting the floor.

Bruiser
05-17-12, 7:21 am
Yea that's probably right, but for $700, I'll skip the extra couple inches.

*the first and last time a man ever uttered those words*. Lol.