PDA

View Full Version : Solitude.

Joe J
05-16-12, 4:41 pm
I'm going to use this thread to post up some of my sessions, macros I'm following, goals, thoughts, supplements, everything.

The end goal is to compete in my first competition in late 2013.

So as a starting point:
18 years old
6"
185lbs
11% bodyfat

Current primary goal is to gain muscle, but I am losing fat in the process. My approach is carb cycling.

I appreciate all advice/thoughts on anything.

Cheers,
Joe.

Joe J
05-16-12, 4:50 pm
So today was my medium carb day, weighed in at 185lbs this morning and followed these macros:

Pro: 280
Carbs: 380
Fat: 65

The training was as follows:
Chest
Decline Bench - 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Incline Hammer Strength - 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Flat Bench Flyes - 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Pec Deck - 1xfailure

Biceps
Machine Preacher - 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
EZ Bar Curl - 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Hammer Curls - 1xfailure

The whole session lasted around 30 minutes, seriously intense and the pump was great. Looking more vascular than ever.

Threw down 25g whey isolate, 25g cassein, 120g dextrose, 5g CEE and 5g glutamine in a PWO shake. Intra workout was 10g aminos.
Took my pak with breakfast today and had 3g fish oils throughout the day.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a very nagging pain in the right side of my groin. Went to the doc today and was diagnosed with an acute hernia. He said I have made a whole in my abdominal wall but fortunately nothing has come through it, so with good luck it will heal. If in 2 weeks it has not sorted itself out, it's back to the quack for an op unfortunately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to Bodypower this weekend and meeting all of the Animal crew, not only do I have the privilege of meeting them but will also be attending an ABC that evening that my heros Ox and The House will be at. Hopefully I will get a good chance to talk with them about the many questions I have.

That's it for today, thanks for reading.

Joe

Joe J
05-16-12, 5:13 pm
Thought I'd write some info on this current phase of my diet and how it has effected me.

9 weeks ago I finished a cutting phase and began carb cycling with the primary goal of gaining muscle. Every 2 weeks if my weight did not change at all I upped the carbs by 30g on each day. Funnily enough, my weight hasn't changed at all in the 9 weeks I have been carb cycling, I've actually only gained 1 pound! But my image has changed greatly, I'm much much more vascular, thicker, larger. Very happy with the results thus far, here are the current macros I'm working on:

Low carb = 270g - Rest days. (cardio)

Medium carb = 380g - Legs and Chest/Bis.

High Carb = 480g - Shoulders/Tris and Back

I have scheduled the higher carb days on the muscles that need bringing up in relation to my physique.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Joe.

Joe J
05-17-12, 6:06 am
Today is low carb day. This morning I threw down 10g aminos and did 30 mins morning fasted cardio. Will post the macros for the day and general thoughts later

Ryan C
05-17-12, 11:17 am
So today was my medium carb day, weighed in at 185lbs this morning and followed these macros:

Chest
Pec Deck - 1xfailure

Biceps

The whole session lasted around 30 minutes, seriously intense and the pump was great. Looking more vascular than ever.

Threw down 25g whey isolate, 25g cassein, 120g dextrose, 5g CEE and 5g glutamine in a PWO shake. Intra workout was 10g aminos.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a very nagging pain in the right side of my groin. Went to the doc today and was diagnosed with an acute hernia. He said I have made a whole in my abdominal wall but fortunately nothing has come through it, so with good luck it will heal. If in 2 weeks it has not sorted itself out, it's back to the quack for an op unfortunately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to Bodypower this weekend and meeting all of the Animal crew, not only do I have the privilege of meeting them but will also be attending an ABC that evening that my heros Ox and The House will be at. Hopefully I will get a good chance to talk with them about the many questions I have.

Joe

Was a good session, got the best pump for chest and bi's I have ever had... The best chest and bi's session for a while due to us both being on exam leave probs gives us more time to prepare for the session ahead... Dropped the weight and concentrated on getting a good contraction with a slow negative...

Joe J
05-17-12, 11:26 am
Was a good session, got the best pump for chest and bi's I have ever had... The best chest and bi's session for a while due to us both being on exam leave probs gives us more time to prepare for the session ahead... Dropped the weight and concentrated on getting a good contraction with a slow negative...

Yes mate, was definitely an insane session. My chest and bis are on fire today!!

Joe J
05-17-12, 2:51 pm
As I said, today was my low carb day. I followed these macros today:

Carbs: 270

Aside from the cardio this morning the only bodybuilding related activity tonight was practising posing for an hour.

2 days out from Bodypower and the ABC that evening, shit I can't wait.

Joe J
05-18-12, 2:49 pm
So today again was low carb/cardio day. All macros and cardio/supplements were the same as yesterday.

Didn't notice any pain from the hernia today, a good sign I can tear it up with the animals tomorrow night. To say I'm excited about the expo and ABC tomorrow is an understatement. Hopefully the Animal guys will be impressed with my physique for my age, hopefully get some good pointers.

Will take a few snaps and upload tomorrow night.

Peace

Ryan C
05-18-12, 6:15 pm
So today again was low carb/cardio day. All macros and cardio/supplements were the same as yesterday.

Didn't notice any pain from the hernia today, a good sign I can tear it up with the animals tomorrow night. To say I'm excited about the expo and ABC tomorrow is an understatement. Hopefully the Animal guys will be impressed with my physique for my age, hopefully get some good pointers.

Will take a few snaps and upload tomorrow night.

Peace

Good news bro... ITS OOOOON NOW!

Joe J
05-18-12, 6:27 pm
Good news bro... ITS OOOOON NOW!

Haha mate funny you're the only one that posts in here ;)

I've packed 5 meals for the expo with 150g carbs in each LOL

Ryan C
05-18-12, 6:38 pm
Haha mate funny you're the only one that posts in here ;)

I've packed 5 meals for the expo with 150g carbs in each LOL

That's the benefit of tommorow being your high carb day... I gotta wait till sunday :(

Joe J
05-18-12, 7:00 pm
That's the benefit of tommorow being your high carb day... I gotta wait till sunday :(

Bullshit, I know you're gunna be eating KFC tomorrow kid!!

Ryan C
05-19-12, 6:53 pm
Bullshit, I know you're gunna be eating KFC tomorrow kid!!

haha you were proved incorrect as i only had a burger lol...

Joe J
05-19-12, 7:03 pm
haha you were proved incorrect as i only had a burger lol...

Still a cheat lol!

Anyway, so today was Bodypower + my high carb day. I packed my gym gear, supps, and meals into my bag this morning and got the train down to Birmingham with Ryan C. Macros could have been fucking anything today but i'm guessing 350g protein, 600g carbs and around 120g fat.

The expo itself was great, lots of free supps + gear plus pictures with all the big pros was great. The Animal stall was great with a couple free posters and I bought a rage t-shirt with a few free samples.

After the expo me and Ryan (very thankfully) got a lift off Mass to the Emporium Gym. Apart from a couple wrong terms we just about made it there on time lol. On arrival we were handed a great free ABC tee and met everyone. This gym was seriously hardcore, we headed downstairs and everyone began training. Me and Ryan C had a killer back session.

Forgot to mention that for both of us this was the first time we had tried Rage and fucking hell this stuff is awesome. My usual reaction to pre-workouts is getting jittery and itchy etc. With Rage, I didn't suffer any unwanted side effects, I was just focused and ready to fuck the weights up.

After training we grabbed our PWO shake and came down to watch The House train, he is really an Animal. Had a good talk with him and he gave me some much needed advice on contest dieting and cardio. He was a really friendly and helpful guy and I'm massively grateful.

After everyone had trained we got a group picture and departed. It was a really good day today, glad I could put some faces to some names from the Forvm and I hope something like this happens again soon.

Cheers guys,
Joe.

Joe J
05-19-12, 7:04 pm
I forgot to mention, here was our back workout.

Machine Pullovers: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Machine Pulldowns (Narrow Grip): 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Rows: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
High Row Machine: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Deadlifts: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Great workout!

Joe J
05-20-12, 4:11 pm
Today was another low carb day for me, I hit 280g carbs today. Protein was 280g and fat was 65g, as per usual.

Did 30 mins low intensity cardio this morning after throwing down 10g's of Aminos.

Back is on fire after the ABC yesterday, again it was so great to meet all you guys.

After experiencing Bodypower and the ABC yesterday, my desire to compete is greater than ever and can't wait until I can step on the stage and win. I can't wait for the day that I turn pro.

naturalguy
05-21-12, 3:05 pm
It was great to meet you. I am back in New Jersey now and I must say that I will miss the UK. Everyone was so nice there.

I'll be following your journey mate.

Joe J
05-21-12, 4:13 pm
It was great to meet you. I am back in New Jersey now and I must say that I will miss the UK. Everyone was so nice there.

I'll be following your journey mate.

You too mate, thanks for tuning in. You and the rest of the guys were so friendly and me and Ryan C had a great time bro. Shame you miss it over here, we should have ABC's like that one over here more often then!!

Joe J
05-21-12, 4:20 pm
So today was High Carb day and I weighed in at 187lbs this morning.

Trained Shoulders + Tris with Ryan C this morning and it was definitely an insane session for such an early one. Got a huge pump.

Macros for today were 280g pro, 65g fat, 480g carbs.

30 minutes out from training I smashed back one of my free samples of Rage from this weekend and boy that shit is good. I need some of this, shame I don't have the funds! Definitely gave me some crazy focus to blast out a couple more reps in the sets to failure.

Training was:
Shoulders:
BB Military Press: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Seated Side Raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Cable Side Raise: 1xfailure
Tris:
Cable Pushdowns: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Skullcrushers: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Overhead Extensions: 1xfailure

Spent a few hours today with my Grandad as he's been hospitalised and is in some pretty fucking bad condition. He's been battling prostate cancer for 9 years, had a triple heart bypass last year, had a stomach ulcer removed, had a prosthetic kidney placed, had a stroke 3 days ago, currently has a urinary tract infection and has gone blind in one eye. This is one fucking hard bastard to pull through all of that in one fucking week. He tells me he thinks this could be the time to just let it do him, cause living aint so great for him anymore.

Joe J
05-22-12, 3:59 pm
Yo so today was medium carb day. Macros for the day were 280g protein, 70g fat, 380g carbs. Weighed in at 18zlbs this morning. Happy with the way I'm gaining very slowly.

Me and Ryan C hit legs and seriously, it was beyond insane. Its the hottest day of the year today and we tore up a legs session in hoodies and all that shit. Needless to say we were sweating like fuck. Ryan passed out and threw up.

Here's the workout:
Leg extensions: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Leg press: 1xwarmuppp, 1xfailure
Hack squat: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Stiff legged deadlift: 1xfailure
Seated ham curls: 1xfailure
Standing calf raise: 1xwarmup, 1xrest pause 3 times to failure
Seated calf raise: 1xfailure

Seriously crazy workout, I am gonna be dying tomorrow.

Went down to the hospital to see how my Grandad is. He's feeling better but is still fucked up. Looks like there's a chance of his beating this shit but he refused chemo, said hed rather just let go than live another shit 3 months. That got me man. I'm pretty comforted by the fact that I know he's lived a very fulfilling life and is at peace with himself. Just gonna hope he beats it.

Ryan C
05-22-12, 6:40 pm
Yo so today was medium carb day. Macros for the day were 280g protein, 70g fat, 380g carbs. Weighed in at 18zlbs this morning. Happy with the way I'm gaining very slowly.

Me and Ryan C hit legs and seriously, it was beyond insane. Its the hottest day of the year today and we tore up a legs session in hoodies and all that shit. Needless to say we were sweating like fuck. Ryan passed out and threw up.

Here's the workout:
Leg extensions: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Leg press: 1xwarmuppp, 1xfailure
Stiff legged deadlift: 1xfailure
Seated ham curls: 1xfailure
Standing calf raise: 1xwarmup, 1xrest pause 3 times to failure

Seriously crazy workout, I am gonna be dying tomorrow.

Went down to the hospital to see how my Grandad is. He's feeling better but is still fucked up. Looks like there's a chance of his beating this shit but he refused chemo, said hed rather just let go than live another shit 3 months. That got me man. I'm pretty comforted by the fact that I know he's lived a very fulfilling life and is at peace with himself. Just gonna hope he beats it.

Lol cheers for the mention! And its sad hearing your grandad like this, his a hard guy he will be okay man, just gotta pray for him...

Joe J
05-22-12, 7:02 pm
Lol cheers for the mention! And its sad hearing your grandad like this, his a hard guy he will be okay man, just gotta pray for him...

No praying here bro. So I've hit page 2 of my journey!

Joe J
05-23-12, 3:56 pm
Yo... so not much to say today, weighed in at 187lbs this morning.

Today was low carb day: 280g pro, 65g fat, 280g carbs.

Practised posing for half an hour, definitely getting better at some of my weaker poses such as side chest. My most muscular still sucks lol.

Hope everyones cool.

Joe.

Joe J
05-24-12, 5:06 pm
Today was medium carb day. Hit the following macros: pro: 280g, carb: 380g , fat: 70g

Just finished chest and bi's with Ryan C, I will probably write up the workout tomorrow as I'm so spent right now I can't even think. Not sure why, think its the fact I've been at hard work all day and its the hottest day of the year.

Joe J
05-25-12, 6:12 pm
Again, not a lot to write about today. Low carb day but went out to an all you can eat chinese buffet with my family. I don't like to miss family occasions, especially not at a time like this so I went. Don't give a fuck, hahaha.

Joe J
05-27-12, 4:24 pm
Back day. High carb day. 280g protein, 70g fat, 480g carbs.

Weighed in at 189lbs this morning.

Swigged by last free sample of Rage from the expo 30 mins out from the workout today and once again it did it's job.

The workout looked like this:
Cable Pulldowns: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Underhand Grip Pulldowns: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Low Pulley Rows: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
High Pulley Wide Grip Rows: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Did this workout with Ryan C. With the help of Rage we definitely smashed it, the final set of Deadlifts was especially memorable, I was screaming on the last rep, the whole gym was like what the fuck haha.

Suffering today from a 4 and a half hour tattoo sitting yesterday. Anybody got any thoughts on tattoos place in bodybuilding? I know over here in the UK tattoos are a fuck load more common than in the states, so what do you guys think?

Joe

Joe J
05-28-12, 6:07 pm
Today is low carb day. Just weighed in at 192lbs. Why is my weight increasing so much this week?! Is this a sign I need to pull back the carb intake?

Looking forward to shoulders and tris tomorrow - gonna blast it!

Joe J
05-30-12, 5:38 pm
Today was low carb day - nothing interesting so I'll write about yesterday.

So yesterday was high carb day - 480g carbs. Me and Ryan C hit shoulders/tris and this was the last session before we cycle a week off.

For me, this was the most insane session I have never had. I felt unstoppable and my weights went through the roof.

I'm gonna put a few weights on the workout today.

Shoulders:
DB Shoulder Press: 2xwarmup, 1x6-8xfailure (60kg)
DB Side Raise (very slow reps): 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Rear Delt Raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Shrug: 1xwarmup, 1x12-15xfailure: 90kg (again very slow reps, long squeeze at the top)

Tris:
Rope Pushdown: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Overhead Extention: 1xfailure

Did an abs circuit at the end doing the following consecutively three times: crunches, vacuum, hanging leg raises. Did 9 sets in total.

I was seriously pumped at the end and had to pretty much crawl home, I am aching so bad today. Can't wait to start training again next week - cycling off a week sucks but hey it's gotta be done.

Joe J
05-30-12, 5:40 pm
Just thought I'd post up my nutritional info that surrounds my workout times. This is an example of my high carb day nutrition. I center most of my carbs around my workout, what do you guys think of this...

An hour and a half out: 6oz beef, 600g white potato, 100g veg (36g pro, 17g fat, 120g carbs.
30 mins out: coffee
Intra-workout: 10g aminos.
PWO: whey, glutamine, dextrose, creatine (50g pro, 150g carbs)
An hour PWO: 6oz chicken, 600g white potato, 100g veg (40g pro, 120g carbs)

As you can see the massive majority of my daily carb intake surrounds my workouts - any thoughts on how effective this is?

Joe J
06-03-12, 10:37 am
So haven't posted this week as this has been me and Ryan C's week off from training. We begin again tomorrow with a high carb day for the both of us - shoulders and tris. Weeks off fucking suck but have to be done right. Can't wait to hit it again tomorrow!

Gonna keep my macros the same as they are for the first 2 weeks and monitor weight. If my weight doesn't increase 1lb in 2 weeks, I will increase carbs by 30 on each day.

So here's the plan:
Low carb: 280g
Med carb: 380g
High carb: 480g

Starting weight: 188lbs.

Ryan C
06-03-12, 7:59 pm
So haven't posted this week as this has been me and Ryan C's week off from training. We begin again tomorrow with a high carb day for the both of us - shoulders and tris. Weeks off fucking suck but have to be done right. Can't wait to hit it again tomorrow!

Gonna keep my macros the same as they are for the first 2 weeks and monitor weight. If my weight doesn't increase 1lb in 2 weeks, I will increase carbs by 30 on each day.

So here's the plan:
Low carb: 280g
Med carb: 380g
High carb: 480g

Starting weight: 188lbs.

see you at 10.30

Joe J
06-04-12, 7:53 am
High carb day today: 480g.

Just finished up Shoulders + Tris with Ryan C. It was an early one... here's how the session went.

Shoulders:
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Side Raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Cable Side Raise: 1xfailure
Rear Delt DB Bent over Raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Shrug: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Tris:
Cable Pressdown: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Overhead Raise: 1xfailure

We also dropped an abs circuit at the end which was 3x crunches, vacuum, hanging leg raises.

Looking forward to legs tomorrow now!!

As far as general thoughts go it's hard to think of how far I've still got to go before I am happy with my physique. It's not a problem as I'm in this for the long run, just can't wait for the day that I'm sitting at 250+lbs. Considering how I'm gaining around a pound every 2 weeks, and I'm at 188, that's a fucking long time!!

Joe J
06-06-12, 6:10 pm
Forgot to post yesterday, so here's yesterdays shit.

Weight: 188lbs
Macros: Pro: 280g, Carbs: 380g, Fat: 75g

Me and Ryan C blasted legs, it was a crazy session as always. Always gotta have the window open next to the leg press cause I always feel like I'm gonna either pass out or spew after the failure sets, I love that shit. Legs are killing today so it's clear I paid my dues yesterday. Here's how the workout went...

Leg extention: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Leg press: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Squats: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Stiff Legged DL: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Lying Ham Curls: 1xfailure
Seated calf raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

This was a real intense session. Short rest times, and real failure.

Joe J
06-06-12, 6:16 pm
I have made some alterations to my carb intake today. Upped each day by 30g as my weight hasn't really changed in 2 weeks. Give or a take a pound I always float around 188lbs. I really want to be fucking 200lbs! Hopefully gaining a pound every 2 weeks ideally.

So, here's what I'm doing now:
Low: 310g
Med: 410g
High: 510g

I know it looks high, but what else can i do! Wish me luck...

Joe J
06-07-12, 9:35 am
3 hours out from Chest and Bi's. Eating my third meal of the day, in 2 hours i'll eat my pre workout. Just getting ready to destroy the weights today. Watching motivational videos and reading through the forum. Should be revising but this is more important right now. Really gonna try and take it to the next level today.

Joe J
06-07-12, 3:24 pm
Hit chest and bi's with Ryan C today. Today was medium carb day and I hit 410g carbs.

I got frustrated in the workout as I wasn't hitting my usual weights which as you know is annoying. But that made me flip and I got probably the best pump I've ever had - I couldn't even itch my fucking chin. My arms felt huge.

Here's how it went:

Chest:
Decline BB Bench: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Incline DB Press: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Flat Fly: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Pec Deck: 1xfailure

Bi's:
Machine Preacher Curl: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
EZ Bar Curl: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Hammer Curl: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Damn my bi's were so fucking pumped! Intensity breeds immensity, fuck all that high volume stuff!

Joe J
06-09-12, 7:00 am
High Carb Day: 510g.

Other macros: 280-300g protein, 65-80g fat.

Spreading my macros like this today (pro, fat, carbs):
1) 40, 15, 120 (pre workout)
2) 50, 0, 150 (PWO shake)
3) 40, 0, 120 (PWO meal)
4) 36, 17, 30
5) 40, 15, 30
6) 40, 0, 30
7) 36, 17, 30

See how I focus all my carbs around my workout times? I think it works well, but would like input from anyone who thinks otherwise.

Joe J
06-09-12, 7:02 am
Me and Ryan C went for an early morning back workout this morning. Gym was virtually empty which is how we like it, free to do our thing...

Here's how the workout went:
Cable Pullovers: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Underhand Hammer Strength Pulldowns: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
BB Row: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Wide Grip High Row: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Deadlift: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

This concludes training for the week, as of next week I will be moving my rear delt movement from my Shoulders and Tris day to my Back day. Really see no point having it on my Shoulders + Tris day.

Joe J
06-09-12, 7:35 am
Just for reference, in my current cycle this is week 1/6.

I'm gonna cheat tonight, have a meat feast pizza. Hey, it's high carb day!!

Joe J
06-09-12, 2:59 pm
So I just had a cheat meal. Box of chicken pieces, meatfeast pizza and some ice cream. Mmmm!

Joe J
06-10-12, 11:20 am
Low carb/cardio/rest day today. Gonna hit 310g carbs. Not low I know, but lower than my training days. Tomorrow morning I will be posting my morning weight, I'm hoping 185lbs. I was 184 last week. Trying not to gain too fast, and at the same time still make progress.

Joe J
06-10-12, 11:21 am
Does anybody have any opinions on how they perform HIIT cardio? Thinking of giving it a shot. I usually do 30 minutes, thinking of just upping the intensity for one session a week and doing just 20 minutes.

Any thoughts?!

Joe J
06-10-12, 11:22 am
Also, any thoughts on the optimum amount of weight to look to gain slowly to be assured that it is clean muscle and not fat? I understand when dieting you should shoot for 1-2lbs, but what about when gaining size? Cheers.

krichael317
06-10-12, 12:53 pm
Does anybody have any opinions on how they perform HIIT cardio? Thinking of giving it a shot. I usually do 30 minutes, thinking of just upping the intensity for one session a week and doing just 20 minutes.

Any thoughts?!

I use a jump rope (simple, cheap and weather independent). Intervals of 30 sec top speed, 1:30 @ comfortable pace.

Joe J
06-10-12, 12:59 pm
I use a jump rope (simple, cheap and weather independent). Intervals of 30 sec top speed, 1:30 @ comfortable pace.

Thanks for the advice bro, I may give this a try!

Joe J
06-11-12, 6:20 pm
Forgot to weigh in this morning, will do it tomorrow morning. Visibly I'm looking bigger and fuller and I definitely haven't gained any body fat. Vascularity and abs still the same as when I began gaining, so all is well.

Joe J
06-11-12, 6:34 pm
Me and Ryan C hit an early morning shoulders + tris session this morning.

Took in 510g carbs today - its my high day.

Here's what we did:
DB shoulder press: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB side raise: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Machine side raise: 1xfailure
DB shrugs: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Cable pushdowns: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
D bar cable extensions: 1xfailure

We finishes off with 3 sets of the following abs circuit: crunches, hanging leg raises, vacuum

Joe J
06-12-12, 5:07 am
2 hours out from legs, let's get it

Joe J
06-12-12, 6:58 am
Gonna give FST-7 a try today on calves to see how I like it, recommended by Sprint and it looks sick, I will report back on the findings.

Just noticed this is my 1000th post. Woo.

Joe J
06-12-12, 8:49 am
I have never had a session for legs like today. It was just unreal, heart felt like it was gonna blow outta my chest and I was ready to pass out through the whole thing. I flipped on all the sets to failure and was much stronger than usual.

Today is my medium carb day, hitting 410g today.

Leg extension: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Leg press: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Stiff legged deadlifts: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Laying leg curls: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Standing calf raise: 1xwarmup, 1xrest payse setx3xfailure

Appollonian
06-12-12, 10:07 pm
Nice work going on in here Joe. You have a much tighter handle on all this knowledge than I did at your age. I'm subbed my friend.

Joe J
06-13-12, 3:37 am
Nice work going on in here Joe. You have a much tighter handle on all this knowledge than I did at your age. I'm subbed my friend.

Thanks man, means a lot bro. Good to see you're in for the journey.

Anyway, weighed in this morning at 189lbs. That's 1 pound up from last week, I'm happy with that.

Today is my lower carb day as I'm not training, gonna have 310g today.

Joe J
06-14-12, 3:57 pm
Weighed in again this morning at 189lbs again. Was looking much bigger in the gym today, and I'm pretty sure fat hasn't been added. Vascularity is the same and I look the same bf%, so that's good.

Chest and Bis today with Ryan C was sick. One of the best sessions we've done. Pump was huge. Seriously, whenever I eat white potato before the gym I get crazy pumped!! I wonder why...

Oh and before I forget. Today was my medium carb day. I hit 280g pro, 410g carbs, 75g fat.

5 minute cardio warmup
5 minute rotator cuff warmup

Chest:
Decline BB Press: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Incline DB Press: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure. Just a note on these, last week I went to press 60kg which isn't particularly heavy for me, and only managed 2 reps! Even though I was really going for it. With that in mind today I picked up the weights and did at least 10 good solid reps to real failure. I was so fixed on beating the shit out of the weight that beat the shit out of me last week. Shows how your mentality can affect your training to such a degree.
Flat DB Flye: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Cable Flye: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Biceps:
Machine Preacher: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
BB Curl: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Hammer Curl: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

It was definitely a crazy session, hit a few poses and things are looking to be improving for both me and Ryan C, although I know I'm a very fucking long way away from my goals. But that's the most exciting thing about it, that at the end of this road is my vision of the perfect physique, and I wouldn't have it any other way than to put all my best efforts into reaching it, and that taking a real long time. When I get there it will be even sweeter.

On other notes, and general thoughts, I am in the midst of the last exams I will ever take. After next week, I'm out in the 'big wide world'. I can't wait to be honest, I have been very sick of education and the educative system for a long time. Today I had my political philosophy and religious philosophy exams. The essays were on the subjects of oppression from the state and whether the concept of god can be proven rationally or empirically. Interesting questions and I am glad they came up. Philosophy can be greatly applied to bodybuilding, when listening to Kai Greene speak I especially hear echos of the linguistics used by Hume and Kant and other greats from ancient times. It is interesting how we are still pondering the same issues and situations, maybe that's all we will be able to do; consider how reality is to us, consider how the state should be constructed, whether we can 'creato ex nihilo' and never actually act upon the discussion. Anyway, I find this interesting.

Peace

Tiger
06-15-12, 11:31 am
On other notes, and general thoughts, I am in the midst of the last exams I will ever take. After next week, I'm out in the 'big wide world'.

What you got planned for the next step of your life?

Joe J
06-15-12, 12:10 pm
What you got planned for the next step of your life?

Hi mate, I just completed my penultimate exam. I work right now as a professional musician and I also teach the guitar privately. I will be working next year as a music technician not far from me, and that will pay for my supps + food etc so I'm happy with that. Life is now about the persuit and completion of these 2 goals:
1) Be able to make a living doing what I love - playing the guitar
2) Place first in a bodybuilding competition, and eventually win a national show.

Music and bodybuildin are a very strange combination in which the worlds of the two are bound by contradiction and paradox, there is really from the outset not a clear link to the two. But I have found that by concentrating on music the same way as I concentrate on bodybuilding, I.e. Working as hard as I can, I have made much greater progress.

Thanks for your interest man.

Tiger
06-15-12, 12:17 pm
Hi mate, I just completed my penultimate exam. I work right now as a professional musician and I also teach the guitar privately. I will be working next year as a music technician not far from me, and that will pay for my supps + food etc so I'm happy with that. Life is now about the persuit and completion of these 2 goals:
1) Be able to make a living doing what I love - playing the guitar
2) Place first in a bodybuilding competition, and eventually win a national show.

Music and bodybuildin are a very strange combination in which the worlds of the two are bound by contradiction and paradox, there is really from the outset not a clear link to the two. But I have found that by concentrating on music the same way as I concentrate on bodybuilding, I.e. Working as hard as I can, I have made much greater progress.

Thanks for your interest man.

Bro, I used to sing in a metal band. For about 5/6 years. It's an odd combination (music/bodybuilding) but they can cross over a bit... Music can help at the gym, and the gym can help you look like a beast on stage, haha.

I wish I started training a good few years ago though - might have saved me getting so shitfaced so much... Now the band stuff is all but dead (everyone's got jobs and is too busy, etc.) so I've put my full focus into bodybuilding. The biggest difference (and thing I love) is that bodybuilding is just about me. I used to do some gigs where I could hear someone fuck up and it would piss me off. In the gym the only person responsible is yourself.

Anyways, apologies for the rant. Keep up the good work, bud. At 18 the world is at your feet - destroy it!

Joe J
06-15-12, 3:59 pm
Bro, I used to sing in a metal band. For about 5/6 years. It's an odd combination (music/bodybuilding) but they can cross over a bit... Music can help at the gym, and the gym can help you look like a beast on stage, haha.

I wish I started training a good few years ago though - might have saved me getting so shitfaced so much... Now the band stuff is all but dead (everyone's got jobs and is too busy, etc.) so I've put my full focus into bodybuilding. The biggest difference (and thing I love) is that bodybuilding is just about me. I used to do some gigs where I could hear someone fuck up and it would piss me off. In the gym the only person responsible is yourself.

Anyways, apologies for the rant. Keep up the good work, bud. At 18 the world is at your feet - destroy it!

I know exactly what you're saying bro. My band is signed, so we have to treat it as a job, and I'm stuck at the studio tonight until 1am and then I'm hitting shoulders + tris tomorrow morning at around 100! Its hard shit man but I've goot all my meals here so its all good :)

Joe J
06-17-12, 10:00 am
So yesterday was my high carb day and my back day. I hit roughly 600g carbs, 280g pro, 80g fat.

Me and Ryan C hit an early morning back session, here's how it looked:
Rope Pullovers: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Underhand Pulldowns: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Low Pulley Rows: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Cable High Row: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Another great workout. Back is on fire today.

Joe J
06-18-12, 11:39 am
Pro: 280g
Fat: 70-80g
Carbs: 510-530g

Weighing 189lbs right now.

Me and Ryan C went and hit Shoulders + Tris this morning, it was a good session and some of my weights went up from last week, which is great.

Shoulders:
Seated BB Military Press: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure (60kg)
DB Side Laterals: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Nautilus Side Raise: 1xfailure
BB Shrugs: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure

Tris:
Rope Pushdowns: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Skullcruchers: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
DB Overheads: 1xfailure

Abs circuit at the end:
3xcrunches, hanging leg raises, vacuum.

Hit some poses at the end and Ryan C says I'm looking to have definitely gained some size without any noticeable fat gain thus far. Practiced posing for a bit.

This helped me through some of those sets to failure today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1QHVNHMAE&list=FLvbXbMex6Pf4dkrvuzCcZHA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

In terms of general thoughts at this given moment, I am thinking about gym etiquette. Now there is this guy in the gym, and I don't want to put him down, but he spends more time doing ridiculous poses in the mirror (the flex + pout kinda move) than he does training. For example, today he racked the EZ and turned sideways to do the movement, so he could see his arms working. In my mind this is fucking ridiculous. Not only was he doing this but he also left a graveyard of weights around the EZ bar area, and that was the last straw when me and Ryan went to hit the skullcrushers. Ryan outright and rightly so confronted him about it and the guy got super embarrassed. A little harsh but maybe now he will read the fucking huge sign above the mirrors that says: 'PLEASE RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS'.

Joe J
06-19-12, 8:43 am
Twenty minutes out from legs right now.

I see a lot of guys on this forum, especially on the topic of alcohol and bodybuilding saying 'everything in moderation'. I see this word 'moderation' a lot these days on the forvm.

Well, here is a quote which demonstrates my opinion of moderation:
"Moderation in bodybuilding is a vice, moderation in discipline is failure"

Joe J
06-19-12, 12:45 pm
So just finished up my PWO meal after legs.

Today is my medium carb day, hitting up 310g carbs today along with 280g pro and around 75g fat.

Will measure my morning weight tomorrow to track progress.

The workout today was sick. It's a hot day today (as far as England goes) so I got a serious sweat on and that always helps me train harder.

Here's what the workout looked like:
Leg Extensions: 2xwarmup, 1xfailure
Leg Press: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Squats: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Seated Leg Curls: 1xwarmup, 1xfailure
Stiff-Legged DL: 1xfailure

Calves:
Standing Leg Raises: 1xwarmup, 1xrest pausex3xfailure (with 10 second rest inbetween each set)
Seated Leg Raise: 1xfailure

I had to waddle home after this, legs were seriously pumped, it was a really good session.

Kowboy
06-19-12, 1:06 pm
Nice workout, I have legs in about 2.5 hours!

Joe J
06-19-12, 4:08 pm
Nice workout, I have legs in about 2.5 hours!

Good luck bro, I've got some aching already and I only hit it around 5 hours ago! Crazy session!! Let me know how it goes man!

Tbrat
06-19-12, 4:31 pm
As I said, today was my low carb day. I followed these macros today:

Carbs: 270

Aside from the cardio this morning the only bodybuilding related activity tonight was practising posing for an hour.

2 days out from Bodypower and the ABC that evening, shit I can't wait.

What do your carb sources and times of consumption look like for your low day when you just have cardio?

Joe J
06-19-12, 4:58 pm
What do your carb sources and times of consumption look like for your low day when you just have cardio?

On my lifting days, I focus my carb intake around my workouts to reap the greatest benefits for their effective usage.

However on my low carb days I tend to spread my carbs pretty evenly, and in terms of sources, although I'm not overly strict, I stick to clean sources from white/sweet potato, oats, white/brown rice, wholemeal bread.

At the moment, on my low carb days I consume 310g carbs, and I spread it like this:

To compare this to a training day, this is how todays medium carb day was layed out:
80 (pre workout)
120 (pwo shake)
80 (pwo meal)

Thanks for your interest bro.

Tbrat
06-19-12, 5:05 pm
On my lifting days, I focus my carb intake around my workouts to reap the greatest benefits for their effective usage.

However on my low carb days I tend to spread my carbs pretty evenly, and in terms of sources, although I'm not overly strict, I stick to clean sources from white/sweet potato, oats, white/brown rice, wholemeal bread.

At the moment, on my low carb days I consume 310g carbs, and I spread it like this:

To compare this to a training day, this is how todays medium carb day was layed out:
80 (pre workout)
120 (pwo shake)
80 (pwo meal)

Perfect, looks great man. Also, doing the carb cycling thing and logic would dictate that thats how I'd go about my low carb days but just wanted to get some input. I do the same with my training days, about 15% in the mornings, 10% pre workout, 50% post workout, and 25% 60-90 minutes after work, all complex except for the 50% immediately post which I'm using dextrose for.

Joe J
06-19-12, 5:52 pm
Perfect, looks great man. Also, doing the carb cycling thing and logic would dictate that thats how I'd go about my low carb days but just wanted to get some input. I do the same with my training days, about 15% in the mornings, 10% pre workout, 50% post workout, and 25% 60-90 minutes after work, all complex except for the 50% immediately post which I'm using dextrose for.

Sounds good to me bro, you looking to lose fat or gain some size whilst keeping bf% low?

Tbrat
06-19-12, 5:54 pm
Sounds good to me bro, you looking to lose fat or gain some size whilst keeping bf% low?

Essentially just drop BF% while maintaining as much muscle as possible, I have had success droping fat and gaining muscle the passed few months but mainly just because of how overweight I was. Those gains have started to slow so I wanted to change it up and carb cycling seemed like something worth a try.

Joe J
06-19-12, 6:04 pm
Essentially just drop BF% while maintaining as much muscle as possible, I have had success droping fat and gaining muscle the passed few months but mainly just because of how overweight I was. Those gains have started to slow so I wanted to change it up and carb cycling seemed like something worth a try.

Nice one man, let me know how you like it. I've tried many different approaches and I've enjoyed carb cycling more than any other, it just makes a lot of sense to me.

Tiger
06-20-12, 4:58 am
I'm going to be doing a similar kind of thing, but I won't be able to have as much carbs as you I'm afraid...

I'll be extremely low on cardio days, medium carbs on shoulder and chest and high carbs on back and legs - but my high day is probably going to be a bit less than your low day, haha.

Keep up the good work in here!

Joe J
06-22-12, 4:21 am
I'm going to be doing a similar kind of thing, but I won't be able to have as much carbs as you I'm afraid...

I'll be extremely low on cardio days, medium carbs on shoulder and chest and high carbs on back and legs - but my high day is probably going to be a bit less than your low day, haha.

Keep up the good work in here!

At the lowest point of my cut cycle my low days sank to 50g carbs bro, naturally it will work that way. What I will suggest with this method is for optimum results you change the intake accordingly every 2-3 weeks, when losing fat, if I'm not losing 1-2lbs a week I decrease the intake on each day by 50g carbs, and hold that for 2 weeks, and then readjust accordingly. I do the same when gaining size, if I'm not gaining 1lbs evvery 3 weeks I increase carbs on every day by 30g. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have brother

Joe J
06-22-12, 4:26 am
So I finished my final exam yesterday, Platonic philosophy. So that's it now, this is the first time I've been out of education and I'm out in the real world. In the UK at the moment, there is a very hard hitting recession and there are no jobs, and most are over-qualified for the jobs there are and thus won't do them, so its tough. But the plan at the moment is to focus on giving bodybuilding my absolute focus and best effort to still compete in my first show next year.

Carrnage
06-25-12, 7:37 pm

Chest
Pec Deck - 1xfailure

Biceps

Joe

Woa your macro's look very high for someone your size, i'd stick with around 160g protein and since your training isn't that dense(work capacity) for you, I wouldn't go over 150g.

And 10g amino's arn't necessary brother, I hate to see young bucks like you waste money on the un necessary. Unless you were really kicking ass in the gym like doing 20-30 sets to failure then it would be necessary. The protein/amino's from the day before will be in use for the following days actions, remember that.

Thats fucking awesome you get to meet Evan, Erik, make sure you take pictures with them! (oh and warning....House looks like a fucking monster this year, don't be scared! He is a nice guy! lol)

Joe J
06-29-12, 11:55 am
Woa your macro's look very high for someone your size, i'd stick with around 160g protein and since your training isn't that dense(work capacity) for you, I wouldn't go over 150g.

And 10g amino's arn't necessary brother, I hate to see young bucks like you waste money on the un necessary. Unless you were really kicking ass in the gym like doing 20-30 sets to failure then it would be necessary. The protein/amino's from the day before will be in use for the following days actions, remember that.

Thats fucking awesome you get to meet Evan, Erik, make sure you take pictures with them! (oh and warning....House looks like a fucking monster this year, don't be scared! He is a nice guy! lol)

Yo, about the macros being high. Protein is around 1.5xbodyweight (where I like it!) and with carbs and fat, i'm only gaining 1 lbs every 3 weeks or more, so why would I reduce them when my goal is to gain size?

Why is 10g aminos unnecessary? Believe me I am kicking ass in the gym, after each session I am completely soaked in sweat, and can't move from the changing rooms for like half an hour cause im so fucked up, and so pumped it hurts, how is my work capacity not much?! lol.

Yeah they were great guys, Erik was especially helpful and gave me a fuckload of advice, I can't believe those fucking calves!

Joe J
06-29-12, 12:02 pm
I've been pretty slack at posting in this recently but I'm gonna start again now. Just been busy with shit, you know?

So today was my medium carb day and chest and bi's. This was the last session before Ryan C goes away on holiday for a week and we tore it up at usual. At the end my bi's were so pumped they were hurting to move. Seriously crazy.

Macros for the day are... 280g protein, 410g carbs, 80-100g fat. Currently weighing around 190lbs at 11% body fat.

Here's how the session went:
Decline BB Press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure) rested ten seconds, then 2 more reps to completely negative failure.
Incline DB Press: 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). On this failure set we did very slow and controlled reps, 4 seconds each way, I flipped on this and my chest was seriously fucking pumped.
Flat DB Flye: 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
Cable Flye: 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)

My chest was seriously pumped at this point, do the point where it hurt to extent the chest)

Machine Preacher: 1x15 (warmup), 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). We then preceded to exhaust the negative portion of the movement.
EZ Bar Curl: 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). Rested 10 seconds then did one more rep.
DB Hammer Curl: 1x10-12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Doing this really slow absolutely blasted my forearms.

This was a sick session for sure, I was more pumped than probably ever in my chest, bi's and forearms. Gunna be hurting like fuck tomorrow...

Joe J
07-01-12, 11:30 am
Today is my high carb day and back day.

Macros for today:
280g protein
510g carbs
80-100g fat

Weighing around 191lbs at the moment.

Hit back flying solo earlier for the first time in ages as Ryan C has gone on holiday for a week. Got it done real quick and was properly fucked after and seriously pumped so it's all good. As I couldn't go into the forced reps as usual I did some rest-pause, drop sets and half reps to hit failure properly without a partner.

Here's what I did...
Cable Pullovers: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
Underhand Pulldowns: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure) Rested ten seconds, then another 2 reps to failure.
Cable Low Pulley Rows: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure) I then hit some half reps until my arms wouldn't move anymore.
High Wide Grip Rows: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure), then drop set and smashed out about 4 more, really slow.
Deadlifts: 1x15 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)

Great session all in all, back will definitely be hurting tomorrow.

Joe J
07-03-12, 7:13 am
Yo, high carb day today and it is Shoulders + Tris.

Macros: 280g pro, 80-100g fat, 510g carbs.

Just counting down the couple hours until training now, visualizing each movement and the muscles that will be involved. Hopefully have a crazy one today, I'm definitely in the mood for killing myself. Will report back later.

Joe J
07-04-12, 11:03 am
Yo, high carb day today and it is Shoulders + Tris.

Macros: 280g pro, 80-100g fat, 510g carbs.

Just counting down the couple hours until training now, visualizing each movement and the muscles that will be involved. Hopefully have a crazy one today, I'm definitely in the mood for killing myself. Will report back later.

This was the first session I've trained by myself in a fucking long time but I still got a crazy pump and my tris are sore as fuck today, and they actually feel pumped for some odd reason, maybe just swollen a bit.

Anyway, this is what I did:

Shoulders:
DB Overhead Press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure) I then dropped the weight by half and smashed out another 8 reps to failure, real slow. Man at this point I was already fucked up.
DB Side Raise: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure) I then did half reps with this weight until my arms wouldn't move.
Nautilus Side Raise: 1x8 (failure)
DB Shrug: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). I did these real slow and squeezed the contraction really hard, this got my traps crazy pumped and they are sore as fuck today.

Tris:
Cable Pushdowns: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup). I then did a double drop set, every time I hit failure I'd drop by a couple setting and bang out as many as I could, real slow focusing on the contraction, must have ended up at around 12 reps. I was fucked.
Skullcrushers: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
DB Overheads: 1x8 (failure)

I then did an abs circuit: crunches, hanging leg raises, vacuum. I did this three times.

All in all a great session and I am definitely feeling it today.

Joe J
07-04-12, 11:09 am
Yo, I just had a crazy legs session. Insane pumps, hanging out the window gagging, almost passing out on the gym floor, you know how those leg days go right?

Macros for today:
Protein: 250g
Carbs: 410g
Fat: 80-100g

So as I said, Ryan C's away on holiday this week so I'm flying solo! It's not so bad, but being a student of HIT, it can be daunting. But I'm loving incorporating rest pause/drop sets/half reps into my failure sets!

Here's the workout...

10 minute bike warmup
10 minute dynamic stretching

Leg Extensions: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 failure. Rest pause then hit out another 3 reps with extra slow negative. Damn this shit hurts.
Leg Press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure)
Hack Squat: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Again, rest pause. I rested 10 seconds then smashed out another 3. By this point the room was spinning.
Seated Leg Curl: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Damn these were crazy, I had my hoody over my whole face and my headphones blasting and I wasn't gonna get off this machine until my legs just didn't work anymore. I was definitely making some damn loud noise cause when I pulled my hoody back everyone in the gym was looking at me. Well you gotta do what you gotta do right...
Stiff Legged DL: 1x6 (failure)

Calves:
Standing Calf Raises: 1x20 (warmup). My failure set on this was a rest pause group of 3. 10 seconds rest in between each set: 1x10, 1x6, 1x3
Seated Calf Raises: 1x8 (failure)

I was waddling outta the gym for sure. Damn tomorrow I'm gonna be so fucked!

Kill i oughtta
07-04-12, 7:47 pm
Yo, I just had a crazy legs session. Insane pumps, hanging out the window gagging, almost passing out on the gym floor, you know how those leg days go right?

Macros for today:
Protein: 250g
Carbs: 410g
Fat: 80-100g

So as I said, Ryan C's away on holiday this week so I'm flying solo! It's not so bad, but being a student of HIT, it can be daunting. But I'm loving incorporating rest pause/drop sets/half reps into my failure sets!

Here's the workout...

10 minute bike warmup
10 minute dynamic stretching

Leg Extensions: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 failure. Rest pause then hit out another 3 reps with extra slow negative. Damn this shit hurts.
Leg Press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure)
Hack Squat: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Again, rest pause. I rested 10 seconds then smashed out another 3. By this point the room was spinning.
Seated Leg Curl: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Damn these were crazy, I had my hoody over my whole face and my headphones blasting and I wasn't gonna get off this machine until my legs just didn't work anymore. I was definitely making some damn loud noise cause when I pulled my hoody back everyone in the gym was looking at me. Well you gotta do what you gotta do right...
Stiff Legged DL: 1x6 (failure)

Calves:
Standing Calf Raises: 1x20 (warmup). My failure set on this was a rest pause group of 3. 10 seconds rest in between each set: 1x10, 1x6, 1x3
Seated Calf Raises: 1x8 (failure)

I was waddling outta the gym for sure. Damn tomorrow I'm gonna be so fucked!

sick ass leg session!!

Joe J
07-07-12, 10:16 am
sick ass leg session!!

Cheers mate! I sure felt this shit the next day, you know the feeling when you can't even sit on the toilet without feeling like you're squatting 800lbs!! Train insane or remain the same!

Joe J
07-07-12, 10:23 am
Yo, yesterday was my medium carb day and I trained chest and bi's.

Macros for yesterday were: Protein: 250g, Fat: 80-100g, Carbs: 410g

Weight is around 192lbs. Am going to do a morning weigh in for the first time in a while tomorrow to judge whether to increase my macros or not.

Ryan C is still on holiday so I was hitting this one up myself, decided to do more machine work to fit failure better whilst training alone, here's what happened:

Chest:
10 min rotator cuff warmup.
Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Rested 10 seconds then smashed out another 3.
DB Incline Press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
DB Flat Flye: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). I went straight from the failure set on the incline press to the warmup set on this and damn my chest was exploding.
Cable Flye: 1x8 (failure).

The above only took 20 minutes. I love training hard and fast and this got me so pumped. Today my chest aches like a bitch so it's gotta be working right.

Biceps:
Machine Preacher Curl: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure), I then halved the weight and repped out another 3 to failure, then halved the weight again and got another 5 out to failure.
EZ Bar Curl: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Then rested 10 seconds, got one more out. Rested another 10, got a half rep out.
DB Hammer Curl: 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure). I was doing these 4 seconds on each portion of the rep, including the static.

I then did something that I've never done before and did a little forearm work. My arms were already as warm as they were going to be so I just did a superset of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls seated with a barbell, for just one set to failure each way. I got a real forearm pump! I think I am going to include this from now on.

One thing that I am contemplating changing is how I map out my carb intake across the day. Here's an example of my carb intake for my medium carb day, what do you think?

80 (pre workout)
120 (dextrose PWO)
80 (PWO meal)

As you can see I focus the majority of my carbs around my workout as it seems to make sense to me that this is when they will be most beneficial, does anybody have an opinion on this?

Joe

Kill i oughtta
07-08-12, 2:40 pm
Yo, yesterday was my medium carb day and I trained chest and bi's.

Macros for yesterday were: Protein: 250g, Fat: 80-100g, Carbs: 410g

Weight is around 192lbs. Am going to do a morning weigh in for the first time in a while tomorrow to judge whether to increase my macros or not.

Ryan C is still on holiday so I was hitting this one up myself, decided to do more machine work to fit failure better whilst training alone, here's what happened:

Chest:
10 min rotator cuff warmup.
Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Rested 10 seconds then smashed out another 3.
DB Incline Press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
DB Flat Flye: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). I went straight from the failure set on the incline press to the warmup set on this and damn my chest was exploding.
Cable Flye: 1x8 (failure).

The above only took 20 minutes. I love training hard and fast and this got me so pumped. Today my chest aches like a bitch so it's gotta be working right.

Biceps:
Machine Preacher Curl: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure), I then halved the weight and repped out another 3 to failure, then halved the weight again and got another 5 out to failure.
EZ Bar Curl: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure). Then rested 10 seconds, got one more out. Rested another 10, got a half rep out.
DB Hammer Curl: 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure). I was doing these 4 seconds on each portion of the rep, including the static.

I then did something that I've never done before and did a little forearm work. My arms were already as warm as they were going to be so I just did a superset of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls seated with a barbell, for just one set to failure each way. I got a real forearm pump! I think I am going to include this from now on.

One thing that I am contemplating changing is how I map out my carb intake across the day. Here's an example of my carb intake for my medium carb day, what do you think?

80 (pre workout)
120 (dextrose PWO)
80 (PWO meal)

As you can see I focus the majority of my carbs around my workout as it seems to make sense to me that this is when they will be most beneficial, does anybody have an opinion on this?

Joe

solid session man, how long have you been doing HIT training brotha

Joe J
07-08-12, 5:16 pm
solid session man, how long have you been doing HIT training brotha

Around 2 years now my man, maybe 1 year actually knowing what I'm doing and doing it properly! I love it man! Have you ever tried it?

Carrnage
07-09-12, 11:37 pm
Yo, about the macros being high. Protein is around 1.5xbodyweight (where I like it!) and with carbs and fat, i'm only gaining 1 lbs every 3 weeks or more, so why would I reduce them when my goal is to gain size?

Why is 10g aminos unnecessary? Believe me I am kicking ass in the gym, after each session I am completely soaked in sweat, and can't move from the changing rooms for like half an hour cause im so fucked up, and so pumped it hurts, how is my work capacity not much?! lol.

Yeah they were great guys, Erik was especially helpful and gave me a fuckload of advice, I can't believe those fucking calves!

1)1 pound every 3 weeks? Solid. But your missing the point....you can do several "unnecessary" specifics and get away from it, just trying to encourage you to pinpoint your success. Which I realize the typical human being nowa days hates to think! (I would rather not think about it either! lol but I wasn't born with the genetics of Ron Coleman!)

2)Your soaked in sweat doesn't mean anything, and the pump hurts? Hell yes I love me those painful pumps. (read above for the "unnecessary".)

I know its hard to make changes when something is working, but its really to help your future success.

Carrnage
07-09-12, 11:41 pm

80 (pre workout)
120 (pwo shake)
80 (pwo meal)

a low day for you is 310!? Ouch!

And honestly taking in carbs around your workout will do nothing positive neurologically / physiologically if your glycogen stores are already filled. (remember, its going to take 24-40+ hours for your body to use glycogen from the day before)

I like your carb cycling approach because it actually has logic, but your amounts are a bit high for someone your size. Obviously you can get away with doing the "unnecessary", before you tell me "this works for me bro".

Joe J
07-10-12, 4:37 am
a low day for you is 310!? Ouch!

And honestly taking in carbs around your workout will do nothing positive neurologically / physiologically if your glycogen stores are already filled. (remember, its going to take 24-40+ hours for your body to use glycogen from the day before)

I like your carb cycling approach because it actually has logic, but your amounts are a bit high for someone your size. Obviously you can get away with doing the "unnecessary", before you tell me "this works for me bro".

My numbers are too high? On these macros I'm gaining around 1lbs every 3 weeks, why would I lower them?

Kill i oughtta
07-12-12, 12:39 am
Cheers mate! I sure felt this shit the next day, you know the feeling when you can't even sit on the toilet without feeling like you're squatting 800lbs!! Train insane or remain the same!

damn right i know that feeling im probley going to wake up to it tommorow im with yea brotha.

Kill i oughtta
07-12-12, 12:40 am
My numbers are too high? On these macros I'm gaining around 1lbs every 3 weeks, why would I lower them?

cant argue with that.

Kill i oughtta
07-12-12, 12:42 am
Around 2 years now my man, maybe 1 year actually knowing what I'm doing and doing it properly! I love it man! Have you ever tried it?

yeah i implied a bit of it in my last offseason and i truly think i put on some quality size in a short period of time traing that way helped bring up a couple lagging body parts.

Joe J
07-15-12, 4:08 pm
What's up guys, I haven't posted in here for the past week-ish cause my girls been to stay for the week so I've been a little occupied to post. Don't worry though, all meals were eaten, water was drank, bodyparts were trained and cardio was done. No problem.

So, I've finished my 21 week (approx) size gaining journey and have gained 10lbs in that time. I'm happy with this.

For the next 6 week I will be restricting my calories and upping the cardio and eating dead clean to lean out a little, then back to the size gaining! Hopefully get them abs showing.

Anyway, here's the plan for the next 6 weeks...

CARB CYCLING

Low: off/cardio
Moderate: Chest/Biceps, Legs
High: Back, Shoulders/Tris

I will begin cardio at half an hour every other day and increase if necessary.

My BMR = 1968 calories per day

Factoring activity level: 3148 calories

Dropping it to a level to lose fat: 2518 calories

Protein per day: 280g
Carb intake on moderate days: 240g
Fat intake per day: 70g

High carb intake: 300g
Low carb intake: 190g

Every 2 weeks I will lower carb intake by 20g on each day if desired results are not seen (1 - 2lbs loss per week). If fat loss doesn't slow down, I won't change anything.

Food sources will be:
Protein: chicken, lean beef, whey
Carbs: pasta, potato, rice, wholemeal bread.
Fat: oil, beef, low fat cheese

This is how I've planned it out and it seems to look good. However, the only issue I'm thinking is that I'm currently on the following carb macros from gaining size:
Low: 300g
Moderate: 400g
High: 500g.

This is a fuck load higher than what I've planned out so I'm unsure if I should jump straight into it?

Please if anybody has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
Joe.

Joe J
07-15-12, 4:15 pm
Yo, 500g carbs, 280g protein and 100g fat today. Sitting at 192lbs.

Flying solo again cause Ryan C's off on some expedition or some shit, threw in the headphones and just got down the business. Hood up, straps on, had a great intense session.

Generalised warmup: Lat Pulldown: 1x15, Cable Pressdown: 1x15

Cable Pullovers: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). 10 seconds rest: 1x2 (failure). 10 seconds rest: 1x1 (failure).
Underhand Pulldowns: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (super slow - 4 seconds on each portion of the movement - failure). Then stripped off 20kg and repped out another 4 to failure.
Low Cable Row: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
High Wide Grip Cable Row: 1x9 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
Deadlifts: (i'm gonna put my weights in here, I know I'm not strong on this but remember this is at the END of a super intense workout so my back was FUCKED). 1x15: 176lbs (warmup). 1x8: 265lbs (failure). 1x3: 310lbs (failure)

Damn I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow!

Tiger
07-18-12, 6:00 am
If you've been making decent gains (10lbs sounds ideal) then why don't you keep gaining?

Joe J
07-18-12, 6:25 am
If you've been making decent gains (10lbs sounds ideal) then why don't you keep gaining?

Because I want to cut up to a real decent bodyfat for the first time.

Tiger
07-18-12, 7:44 am
Can't argue with that, haha. Sounds like you've got a solid plan.

Joe J
07-18-12, 8:47 am
Can't argue with that, haha. Sounds like you've got a solid plan.

Thanks brother, stop by here to see my progress and offer advice if you could. Cheers

Joe J
07-23-12, 3:10 pm
So today was the first day of my 6 week cut up... 190g carbs today. I usually hit 310g on my off days but surprisingly I haven't been hungry or anything so I'm feeling good.

Tomorrow is my first training session on this cut.

I'll be hitting 300g carbs tomorrow, as it is my high day. My high day was previously 510g carbs, so it's gonna be hard...

Also doing 30 mins fasted cardio tomorrow morning, time to unleash hell.

VinceRkg
07-23-12, 8:04 pm
I did a similar cut to this on my first shows last year, dropping 275lbs to 176lbs in 6 months, you got this brotha...doing awesome and keep up the posts. Push that weight and have in mind being on stage. Its an amazing feeling knowing and seeing what you were able to do and that it was all you. Awesome job so far....DO WORK

Joe J
07-24-12, 3:41 am
I did a similar cut to this on my first shows last year, dropping 275lbs to 176lbs in 6 months, you got this brotha...doing awesome and keep up the posts. Push that weight and have in mind being on stage. Its an amazing feeling knowing and seeing what you were able to do and that it was all you. Awesome job so far....DO WORK
Thanks for the kind words bro! I'm determined to smash this for sure... Will be writing in here every day if you wanna check in and offer up some advice! Cheers mate

Tiger
07-24-12, 7:13 am
Keep lifting big!

What's your goal for the cut? BF%? Got a time frame?

Joe J
07-24-12, 7:55 am
Keep lifting big!

What's your goal for the cut? BF%? Got a time frame?

Time frame is 6 weeks bro, around 9%, I'm sitting at about 12% now and I wanna get those veins and abs popping.

Thanks bro

Joe J
07-24-12, 6:45 pm
Yo brothers, so today was my first training day of my cut.

MORNING WEIGHT: 189lbs.

Cardio is a 30 minutes every other day right now, I hit 30 mins on the bike this morning - fasted with 5g aminos.

Macros for today were: 280g protein, 300g carbs, 65g fat.

So this was the first session back from my week off, and it was really fucking brutal. Trained with Ryan C. Here's how it looked:

5 minute cardio warmup
5 minute rotator cuff warmup

Delts:
DB Shoulder Press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x10 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
DB Side Raise: 1x10 (warmup), 1x10 (failure). We did these super slow for each portion of the rep, and held the static at the top for a few counts. I suggest anybody with lagging side delts to try this technique, it really fucking fried your delts like a bitch.
DB Machine Side Raise: 1x6 (failure). We added extra negatives at the end to hit true failure.
DB Rear Delt Raise: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (failure). Half reps at the end until failure.
DB Shrugs: 1x10 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). Then dropped the weight to half and repped out another 6 to failure.

Tris:
Cable Pressdowns: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure). Halved the weight, repped out another 8, super slow.
Skullcrushers: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
DB Overheads: 1x8 (failure)

Abs:
Did 3 circuits of: Crunches x failure, hanging leg raises x failure, vacuum x 3.

This was a fucking crazy session. It was the hottest day of the year today and I banged out this session like every other in a big hoodie, hood up, headphones in. Brutal.

Joe J
07-26-12, 2:35 pm
Yo. Yesterday was the second training day of my cut.

Macros were: 280g protein, 240g carbs and 65g fat.

Now it was even hotter than the day before, and me and Ryan C hit the gym in the insane heat in hoodies. Needless to say we were sweating like fuck. Here's what happened:

10 minute cardio warmup
5 minute active stretching

Leg extension: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
Leg press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
Hack squat: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure) after this set I was hanging out the window gagging.
Seated leg curl: 1x10 (warmup), 1x8 (failure) we then hit negatives till we couldn't control it anymore.
Stiff leg deadlifts: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)

Seated calf raise: 1x15 (warmup), then for our failure set we hit a triple rest pause set that looked like: 1x12 (failure) 10 second rest, 1x8 (failure) 10 second rest, 1x4 failure.
Standing calf raise: 1x8 (failure)

Legs were seriously pumped. Unreal session. Can't wait for chest and biceps on friday.

Tosay was low carb (190g) and all other macros were the same as yesterday. Did 30 minutes fasted cardio this morning.

Already looking much leaner, loving this cut so far.

Joe J
07-27-12, 9:18 am
Yo

Just finished up a brutal session with Ryan C.

Macros for today are: 280g protein, 240g carbs, 65g fat.

Again, I'm looking visibly leaner in the gym but strength doesn't seem to have decreased at all.

Here's what happened:

20 min cardio warmup (walk to the gym). Boiling hot today, arlready dripping with sweat when walking into the gym.
5 min rotator cuff warmup.

Decline BB press: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x7 (failure) then rested 10 seconds and smashed out one more rep.
Incline DB press: 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure)
Flat DB fly: 1x100 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)
Pec deck: 1x8 (failure). We did these super slow for each portion of the rep and held the static contraction for 4 seconds, when we hit positive failure we then exhausted the negative until we dropped it. Chest was pumped as fuck after this.

Machine Preacher Curl: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure). We did this failure set in the same fashion as the pec deck.
EZ bar curl: 1x12 (warmup). For the failure set here we did a triple rest pause set where we rested for 10 seconds before picking up the bar again, so it went: 1x8, 1x3, 1x1. Seriously this is brutal, my bi's were fucked after this.
DB hammer curls: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)

Superset BB wrist curls and BB reverse wrist curls: 1x15, 1x10 (failure)

I loved this session, got seriously pumped even though my carbs are relatively low.

Ryan C
07-28-12, 6:02 am
The cut has gone well so far for you joe, maintained stregnth and vascularity an its noticeable how much leaner you have got... Bring on back tommorow!

Joe J
07-28-12, 7:01 am
The cut has gone well so far for you joe, maintained stregnth and vascularity an its noticeable how much leaner you have got... Bring on back tommorow!

Yeah man, can't wait to smash back, its been too long!

Joe J
07-29-12, 3:20 pm
Yo.

Macros for today are: 280g protein, 65g fat and 300g carbs.

Just finished my PWO meal and in an hour or so I will be having my first cheat meal of this cut. Fried chicken, pizza, ice cream, off of that shit lol.

Trained back with Ryan C today and it was another brutal session, here's what we did:

5 min cardio warmup
generalised warmup: Lat Pulldown: 1x15, cable pressdown: 1x15

Cable Pullovers: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure)
Underhand Pulldowns: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
BB Row: 1x12 (warmup). Did a triple rest pause set for the set to failure: 1x5 (failure). 10 secs rest, 1x3 (failure). 10 secs rest, 1x1 (failure)
Wide Grip High Row: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
Deadlift: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)

Doing deadlifts at the end really fuck you over. Got more pumped than ever today which is strange considering I'm on virtually half the carb intake that I was previously on for my high carb days.

Again, still getting leaner by the day and am expecting to be down 2lbs come Tuesday's weigh in.

Joe.

Noob Saibot
07-29-12, 3:57 pm
Yo.

Macros for today are: 280g protein, 65g fat and 300g carbs.

Just finished my PWO meal and in an hour or so I will be having my first cheat meal of this cut. Fried chicken, pizza, ice cream, off of that shit lol.

Trained back with Ryan C today and it was another brutal session, here's what we did:

5 min cardio warmup
generalised warmup: Lat Pulldown: 1x15, cable pressdown: 1x15

Cable Pullovers: 1x15 (warmup), 1x12 (warmup), 1x10 (failure)
Underhand Pulldowns: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
BB Row: 1x12 (warmup). Did a triple rest pause set for the set to failure: 1x5 (failure). 10 secs rest, 1x3 (failure). 10 secs rest, 1x1 (failure)
Wide Grip High Row: 1x12 (warmup), 1x6 (failure)
Deadlift: 1x12 (warmup), 1x8 (failure)

Doing deadlifts at the end really fuck you over. Got more pumped than ever today which is strange considering I'm on virtually half the carb intake that I was previously on for my high carb days.

Again, still getting leaner by the day and am expecting to be down 2lbs come Tuesday's weigh in.

Joe.

Nice session Joe, it's funny how pumps and workouts go. Sometimes your hoping for big things and fall flat, sometime you get what you had today. Good work

Joe J
07-29-12, 4:03 pm
Nice session Joe, it's funny how pumps and workouts go. Sometimes your hoping for big things and fall flat, sometime you get what you had today. Good work

Thanks bro, its funny, since I've been cutting and eating dead clean and obviously restricting calories, my pumps have been through the roof. Not sure if this is coinsidence or whatever but I wonder if it will continue. Thanks for your kind words mate.

Joe.

RyanHalliwell
08-01-12, 8:02 am
Found it finally ! Looks good mate, when are you competing and with which organisation ? I should be competing next year, feeling really confident about it !

Joe J
08-12-12, 4:35 pm
Found it finally ! Looks good mate, when are you competing and with which organisation ? I should be competing next year, feeling really confident about it !

Hi mate, I haven't posted in here in a couple weeks as have really been caught up in general life. But now I'm back and will be posting in here regularly again.

I am looking to compete October 2013 and am still undecided on organisation. It is basically between a tested and non-tested organisation over here in the UK, as you know. Being 18 I am natural, but am I confident I could go up against those guys and come in harder and bigger? I'm not sure... so that is the decision I am going to have to make.

Good to hear you're thinking of competing, it is a long and hard road but will be more rewarding than any other.

Joe J
08-12-12, 4:38 pm
Yo,

I've been away a couple of weeks but diet, training, rest, and everything else has been 100% on point.

I am still carb cycling, and am on these macros:
Pro: 280g every day
Fat: 60g every day
Carbs: low: 170g, med: 220g, high: 280g.

Cardio is 30 minutes every other day, and the days between are 20 minutes. All cardio session are moderate intensity first thing in the morning, fasted.

I am sitting at 187lbs right now, leaner than ever. Losing 1-2lbs a week so am pretty confident I will achieve my goals to get ripped with this cut. I am running this another 2 weeks, taking a week off, and then running it for another 6 weeks. That will come to a total of 12 weeks work in this cut all in all. I'm really hoping to come out with some insane results, and if I can achieve this in under the next 6 weeks, then even better right.

I will be posting up sessions and daily macros once again from here on out.

Joe.

Noob Saibot
08-12-12, 5:17 pm
Good stuff Joe, keep on track and the results your looking for should be there.

Joe J
08-12-12, 5:31 pm
Good stuff Joe, keep on track and the results your looking for should be there.

Thanks bro, will keep you updated.

RyanHalliwell
08-13-12, 3:46 am
Hi mate, I haven't posted in here in a couple weeks as have really been caught up in general life. But now I'm back and will be posting in here regularly again.

I am looking to compete October 2013 and am still undecided on organisation. It is basically between a tested and non-tested organisation over here in the UK, as you know. Being 18 I am natural, but am I confident I could go up against those guys and come in harder and bigger? I'm not sure... so that is the decision I am going to have to make.

Good to hear you're thinking of competing, it is a long and hard road but will be more rewarding than any other.

Great to hear bro, You've got a lot of time until then so you should be able to do it no problem. Lift Strong!

iamthemacattack
06-24-13, 8:30 am
Damn bro,

Only just found your thread.

Count me in for whatever comes next. We train and eat pretty much the same way! Must be a British thing... train hard. Eat clean.

Will have to get down Birmingham way at some point.

Joe J
06-24-13, 9:01 am
Damn bro,

Only just found your thread.

Count me in for whatever comes next. We train and eat pretty much the same way! Must be a British thing... train hard. Eat clean.

Will have to get down Birmingham way at some point.

Haven't wrote in here for a long time bro... maybe I'll start posting again.

I've came a long way since I last posted in here.

What do you think?

Joe

Joe J
06-24-13, 9:10 am
For anyone that's interested, I don't currently carb cycle like I used to in the previous posts of this thread.

I am currently losing fat on Ox's guidance. Here's my current diet:

1) 4 whole eggs, 4 whites
2) 4oz chicken, romaine lettuce, 25g almonds
3) 50g whey protein, 1 tablespoon peanut butter
4) 4oz lean beef, broccoli, teaspoon EVOO
5) 50g whey protein, 1 tablespoon peanut butter
6) 4 oz chicken, romaine lettuce, 25g almonds
7) 4 oz lean beef, broccoli, teaspoon EVOO

A simple keto diet in the style of Dave Palumbo and what I've read from Ox.

I'm in day three now and feeling good. I'm 190lbs at the moment and will check in on weight regularly.

rainman
06-24-13, 10:07 am
Always interested on nutrition, especially as you're doing a Keto diet. I'm subbing for your progress as it's something I've been thinking about myself.

iamthemacattack
06-24-13, 10:15 am
Haven't wrote in here for a long time bro... maybe I'll start posting again.

I've came a long way since I last posted in here.

What do you think?

Joe

Most definitely.

best way to keep track of things.

Joe J
06-24-13, 10:55 am
Always interested on nutrition, especially as you're doing a Keto diet. I'm subbing for your progress as it's something I've been thinking about myself.

Nice one mate. I will start posting in here from today then!

Day 3 of keto so far. I am feeling fucking hungry but confident. About to go and do 30 mins of cardio, then home, eat, then back to the gym to train back. Oh man!

Most definitely.

best way to keep track of things.

Definitely bro

iamthemacattack
06-25-13, 5:24 am
Nice one mate. I will start posting in here from today then!

Day 3 of keto so far. I am feeling fucking hungry but confident. About to go and do 30 mins of cardio, then home, eat, then back to the gym to train back. Oh man!

Definitely bro

I've been following a Keto diet for about 6 months now... and I have good results, a steady weightloss, and providing I keep my fats quite high I don't feel to lethargic and my strength hasn't dropped at all really.
My weight loss has stalled recently so I am looking at adding carbs to a couple of meals a week - one before legs and one before back. See if that gets things moving along again!

Joe J
06-25-13, 7:28 am
I've been following a Keto diet for about 6 months now... and I have good results, a steady weightloss, and providing I keep my fats quite high I don't feel to lethargic and my strength hasn't dropped at all really.
My weight loss has stalled recently so I am looking at adding carbs to a couple of meals a week - one before legs and one before back. See if that gets things moving along again!

If you did a slight carb up say on last meal of Tuesday and last meal Friday that would be good. What cardio are you doing?

Anyway, here's my diet as it stands at the moment for the duration of this diet.

Protein: 260g, Fat: 105g, Carbs: <30g.

1) 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites
2) 50g whey protein, tablespoon PB
3) 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, 25g almonds
4) 4oz lean beef, romaine lettuce, tablespoon EVOO
5) 50g whey protein, tablespoon PB
6) 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, 25g almonds

Macros are based off of LBW. Previously I was eating 300g protein and 7 meals a day so a little apprehensive of muscle loss. I hope not.

Joe

iamthemacattack
06-25-13, 8:12 am
If you did a slight carb up say on last meal of Tuesday and last meal Friday that would be good. What cardio are you doing?

Anyway, here's my diet as it stands at the moment for the duration of this diet.

Protein: 260g, Fat: 105g, Carbs: <30g.

1) 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites
2) 50g whey protein, tablespoon PB
3) 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, 25g almonds
4) 4oz lean beef, romaine lettuce, tablespoon EVOO
5) 50g whey protein, tablespoon PB
6) 4oz chicken breast, broccoli, 25g almonds

Macros are based off of LBW. Previously I was eating 300g protein and 7 meals a day so a little apprehensive of muscle loss. I hope not.

Joe

Yeah that's what I am thinking, or maybe my last meal pre work-out. I will start post workout since my energy levels are okay for now, but might switch it up and see how I go.

Mine are pretty much identical, I have a spoon of olive oil on my veg as well (usually green beans and peas)

Meal 1 - 6 whole eggs

Meal 2 - 50g whey with almonds

Meal 2 - Chicken and Veggies

Meal 4 - 50g whey with almonds

Meal 5 - Chicken and Veggies

Meal 6 - Chicken and Veggies

Macros are pretty much the same as yours. I've started adding an extra shake recently to keep my meals closer together due to my weight/fat loss stalling.

Cardio is 5 sessions a week, 45 mins incline treadmill. Not too strenous with a hoodie on to get a much sweat going as I can.

Seems like we think the same way - and follow the same schools of thought on nutrition and training!

Joe J
06-25-13, 12:35 pm
Yeah that's what I am thinking, or maybe my last meal pre work-out. I will start post workout since my energy levels are okay for now, but might switch it up and see how I go.

Mine are pretty much identical, I have a spoon of olive oil on my veg as well (usually green beans and peas)

Meal 1 - 6 whole eggs

Meal 2 - 50g whey with almonds

Meal 2 - Chicken and Veggies

Meal 4 - 50g whey with almonds

Meal 5 - Chicken and Veggies

Meal 6 - Chicken and Veggies

Macros are pretty much the same as yours. I've started adding an extra shake recently to keep my meals closer together due to my weight/fat loss stalling.

Cardio is 5 sessions a week, 45 mins incline treadmill. Not too strenous with a hoodie on to get a much sweat going as I can.

Seems like we think the same way - and follow the same schools of thought on nutrition and training!

Looks good bro, keep me updated!

Joe J
07-01-13, 9:56 am
Yo...

Just checking in. Day 9 of keto. Energy levels are stable and I'm not particularly hungry.

190lbs morning weight. Look to be around 12% bodyfat.

My deload week from training this week. Kept up with cardio though. Also had a deep tissue massage earlier in the week.

Cardio is currently at 5 days per week: 40, 30, 40, 30, 40. I up 10 mins for each session is fat loss stalls.

Supplements include:
CLA, Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil - 3g of each/day.
Whey isolate
Animal Pak
Vitamin C - 1g morning and 1g before bed
Zinc - 30mg/day.
Beta Alanine - 4g/day
AAKG - 4g/day
Acetyl L-Carnitine - 4g/day
BCAA's - 20g/day. 5g pre workout. 5g intra workout. 10g post workout.

I think that's everything. If anybody's interested I'll post macros and diet.

Thanks guys

Joe

iamthemacattack
07-01-13, 10:53 am
Good stuff,

Most people feel really shitty after a few days of a Keto diet as their body adjusts but if you are feeling good then that's a good sign!

Joe J
07-01-13, 11:01 am
Good stuff,

Most people feel really shitty after a few days of a Keto diet as their body adjusts but if you are feeling good then that's a good sign!

For sure man, I'm feeling just fine. Can't wait for my refeed this Saturday though!!! How is your diet and training going?

iamthemacattack
07-02-13, 5:26 am
Yeah training is good thanks mate - I'm off on holiday in 6 weeks, so classing that as 'contest day' so have just added a little more volume in and dropped the weights a bit, still going hard though!

And I have added an extra meal into my diet, just to boost my metabolism up a bit - looks to be working so far, I'm about 200lbs at the minute not sure on my bodyfat - still far higher than I want but I find it hard to shift the fat!

Joe J
07-03-13, 5:48 am
3 days out from my refeed!

Planned some fresh bread, homemade lasagne and lemon drizzle cake.

Oh man...

iamthemacattack
07-03-13, 8:26 am
Sounds better than sex.

Joe J
07-03-13, 9:21 am
Sounds better than sex.

It will be. For sure.

Got legs tonight.

First legs session on keto... brutal.

This is how it will go...

10 min warmup on bike
Some active stretching

Leg Extension - 2x8-12, 1xfailure
Leg Press - 2x8-12, 1xfailure
Squat - 1x15, 1xfailure

5 minute rest

Lying Ham Curls - 1x12-15, 1xfailure
Stiff Leg Deads - 1x12-15, 1xfailure

Seated Calf Raises, 1x12-15, 1xfailure
Standing Calf Raises - 1xfailure, 1xfailure, 1xfailure (triple drop set, lol)

HIT Training!

That 5 minute rest thing was something I learnt from Dorian when I trained with him. It really helps to take that break between quads and hams.

Joe J
07-08-13, 7:38 am
First refeed and weigh in was saturday.

Last saturday: 190.5lbs
This saturday: 188.5lbs.

2lbs loss, perfect.

Refeed was lasagne, garlic bread, doritos, coco pops, ice cream, lemon cake. All in 2 hours lol.

iamthemacattack
07-08-13, 10:42 am
It will be. For sure.

Got legs tonight.

First legs session on keto... brutal.

This is how it will go...

10 min warmup on bike
Some active stretching

Leg Extension - 2x8-12, 1xfailure
Leg Press - 2x8-12, 1xfailure
Squat - 1x15, 1xfailure

5 minute rest

Lying Ham Curls - 1x12-15, 1xfailure
Stiff Leg Deads - 1x12-15, 1xfailure

Seated Calf Raises, 1x12-15, 1xfailure
Standing Calf Raises - 1xfailure, 1xfailure, 1xfailure (triple drop set, lol)

HIT Training!

That 5 minute rest thing was something I learnt from Dorian when I trained with him. It really helps to take that break between quads and hams.

First refeed and weigh in was saturday.

Last saturday: 190.5lbs
This saturday: 188.5lbs.

2lbs loss, perfect.

Refeed was lasagne, garlic bread, doritos, coco pops, ice cream, lemon cake. All in 2 hours lol.

I've just changed my leg workout to 5 sets per exercise, because I am 6 weeks out from my holiday... so lowering the intensity a little. But last set is till balls to the wall.

I do an isolation first then a compound which seems to be working.

Sounds awesome!!! I had a massive BBQ!!! Steak, lamb steak, belly pork, chicken thighs, baked potatos and garlic bread!!! Boom!

Just got my new month's supplies, protein, pak, nitro, also got my cuts... which I will start 4 weeks out from my holiday.

Fingers crossed there might even be visible abs!

Joe J
07-08-13, 12:19 pm
I've just changed my leg workout to 5 sets per exercise, because I am 6 weeks out from my holiday... so lowering the intensity a little. But last set is till balls to the wall.

I do an isolation first then a compound which seems to be working.

Sounds awesome!!! I had a massive BBQ!!! Steak, lamb steak, belly pork, chicken thighs, baked potatos and garlic bread!!! Boom!

Just got my new month's supplies, protein, pak, nitro, also got my cuts... which I will start 4 weeks out from my holiday.

Fingers crossed there might even be visible abs!

Solid stack bro. The results will come!

iamthemacattack
07-09-13, 8:39 am
I'm sure they will mate.

WHat are your main goals this year?

Joe J
07-09-13, 12:33 pm
I'm sure they will mate.

WHat are your main goals this year?

At the moment as you know im doing keto so the main goal is fat loss. I will then gain muscle from their by increasing the caloric intake slowly over time.

iamthemacattack
07-10-13, 3:47 am
Same here... got another 6 weeks.

I think my body fat has dropped significantly, but still not quite got abs yet.

After my holiday I will start to 'bulk' or slowly add some quality muscle over the winter and then start the cutting process all over again next year!!! Haha I can't wait.

Joe J
07-10-13, 6:50 am
Same here... got another 6 weeks.

I think my body fat has dropped significantly, but still not quite got abs yet.

After my holiday I will start to 'bulk' or slowly add some quality muscle over the winter and then start the cutting process all over again next year!!! Haha I can't wait.

Nice one man, consistent progress is all that counts!

Joe J
07-11-13, 5:08 am
Feeling exhausted but driven.

Trained legs last night, a brutal HIT session.

Found it hard to sleep properly last night due to leg pain.

I will post the workout if anybody is interested.

Joe

Joe J
07-17-13, 7:08 am
Yo,

Cardio is at 6x50minutes/week. Am upping by 10 mins a session whenever progress slows.

Legs tonight, can't wait. It is most definitely my favourite day of the week.

Brutal legs training separates the boys from the champions.

Peace

Joe

iamthemacattack
07-17-13, 8:00 am
Wow, I am doing 45 mins 5 times a week at the minute, going to up it next week to 6 times a week.

Started Animal Cuts on Monday so will see how things progress.

I did legs yesterday - it was especially brutal with the weather we've been having... far too hot!!

But like you say, it separates the men from the boys!

Want to show of some big ham hocks in my swimming shorts!! Hahaha.

Joe J
07-17-13, 8:53 am
Wow, I am doing 45 mins 5 times a week at the minute, going to up it next week to 6 times a week.

Started Animal Cuts on Monday so will see how things progress.

I did legs yesterday - it was especially brutal with the weather we've been having... far too hot!!

But like you say, it separates the men from the boys!

Want to show of some big ham hocks in my swimming shorts!! Hahaha.

Yeah bro, this weather sucks. I prefer wearing a hoodie to the gym but this weather has made it impossible.

Let me know how Cuts works for you man.

On another note, im currently 187.5lbs, weight still slowly dropping.

iamthemacattack
07-17-13, 10:31 am
Yeah bro, this weather sucks. I prefer wearing a hoodie to the gym but this weather has made it impossible.

Let me know how Cuts works for you man.

On another note, im currently 187.5lbs, weight still slowly dropping.

Perfect, still a steady 2lbs a week?

Joe J
07-17-13, 1:22 pm
Perfect, still a steady 2lbs a week?

Yeah bro, it was 1.5 last week but whatever. Im cool with between 1-2lbs. Hows your diet doing?

iamthemacattack
07-19-13, 3:49 am
Yeah bro, it was 1.5 last week but whatever. Im cool with between 1-2lbs. Hows your diet doing?

Going steady away, holding solid around 198-200 lbs.. but think I am getting a bit tighter so hopefully all fat/water thats dropping!

Lost a lot of size, but my strength may even have gone up this year.

Can't wait to put some size on this winter training hardcore HIT.

Joe J
07-19-13, 10:44 am
Going steady away, holding solid around 198-200 lbs.. but think I am getting a bit tighter so hopefully all fat/water thats dropping!

Lost a lot of size, but my strength may even have gone up this year.

Can't wait to put some size on this winter training hardcore HIT.

Nice one bro. HIT is most definitely the English way to train!

Fourth weigh in tomorrow. Hoping to be down another 1-2lbs.

Also my reefed tomorrow night. Going out for a three course meal with my girlfriend to celebrate being together for a year.

Training shoulders + tris tonight followed by 50 minutes of cardio.

iamthemacattack
07-19-13, 10:53 am
Nice one bro. HIT is most definitely the English way to train!

Fourth weigh in tomorrow. Hoping to be down another 1-2lbs.

Also my reefed tomorrow night. Going out for a three course meal with my girlfriend to celebrate being together for a year.

Training shoulders + tris tonight followed by 50 minutes of cardio.

Most definitely is my man.

Nice.

I've got back and Bi's followed by cardio.

2 BBQs this weekend, one clean - steak and grilled asparagus the other will be a refeed meal!

Joe J
07-19-13, 10:54 am
For reference here is my current diet + supplement regimen of a total day.

7:30 - 1 serving Organic Green Superfood
8:00 - 2 scoops whey isolate, 30g organic peanut butter, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, 1g vitamin C powder, 400IU vitamin E, 1g fish oil, 1g EPO, 1g CLA, 2000mg MSM powder, 1g glucosamine sulphate, 5g creatine
11:00 - 130g lean beef, 1 cup broccoli, teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1:30 - 2 scoops whey isolate, 30g organic peanut butter, 1g fish oil, 1g EPO, 1g CLA
4:00 - (Pre-WO) - 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 1 Animal Pak
5:30 - (Pre-WO) - 5g BCAA, 4g Beta Alanine, 4g Acetyl L-Carnitine
6:00 - (Intra-WO) - 5g BCAA
6:40 - (Post-WO/Pre-Cardio) - 10g BCAA, 5g cardio
7:30 - 2 scoops whey isolate, 30g organic peanut butter, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
9:30 - 150g chicken breast, handful kale, 30g almonds, 1g fish oil, 1g EPO, 1g CLA, 2000mg MSM Powder, 1g vitamin C powder, 1g glucosamine sulphate.

There we have it.

Joe J
07-19-13, 10:54 am
Most definitely is my man.

Nice.

I've got back and Bi's followed by cardio.

2 BBQs this weekend, one clean - steak and grilled asparagus the other will be a refeed meal!

Sounds great bro. The weather is truly beautiful, definitely the weather for a BBQ. I haven't had the pleasure of one yet!!

iamthemacattack
07-20-13, 7:24 am
I had an impromptu cheat meal last night... Pizza!

But hey , first cheat in god knows how long! I always seem to feel guilty though.

Joe J
07-20-13, 2:45 pm
I had an impromptu cheat meal last night... Pizza!

But hey , first cheat in god knows how long! I always seem to feel guilty though.

One cheat a week is essential on the keto diet.

iamthemacattack
07-22-13, 4:14 am
One cheat a week is essential on the keto diet.

Not so sure that a cheat meal is essential, but a meal which is high in calories, with lots of simple carbs etc.

But yeah, I feel better for it.

Joe J
07-22-13, 4:35 am
Not so sure that a cheat meal is essential, but a meal which is high in calories, with lots of simple carbs etc.

But yeah, I feel better for it.

That is a cheat bro, or a 'refeed'!

iamthemacattack
07-22-13, 8:02 am
Hahaha, I'd call it a refeed rather than a cheat.

How is your fat loss going?

Joe J
08-10-13, 9:01 am
Sorry for the delayed reaponse bro.

Still keto and fat loss is good. At 180lbs right now about 10% body fat.

How are things with you?

iamthemacattack
08-12-13, 6:07 am
Sorry for the delayed reaponse bro.

Still keto and fat loss is good. At 180lbs right now about 10% body fat.

How are things with you?

Nice man, I am at 201 with 12% bodyfat.

I go away on Wednesday but have been at BBQs all weekend, and have even had some alcohol... so I feel rather fat today, 3 days of training left before the holiday so will just get a pump and do some abs stuff.

Think I am ready for the break, I feel a lot of aches and pains at the minute.

Then once i am back it's time for some real HIT heavy shit, going to try to get up to around 16stone this winter. Hopefully add some solid mass.

I'll probably start my own journey as well just to keep another record apart from my diary.

Where you been anyway?

Joe J
08-13-13, 6:14 pm
Nice man, I am at 201 with 12% bodyfat.

I go away on Wednesday but have been at BBQs all weekend, and have even had some alcohol... so I feel rather fat today, 3 days of training left before the holiday so will just get a pump and do some abs stuff.

Think I am ready for the break, I feel a lot of aches and pains at the minute.

Then once i am back it's time for some real HIT heavy shit, going to try to get up to around 16stone this winter. Hopefully add some solid mass.

I'll probably start my own journey as well just to keep another record apart from my diary.

Where you been anyway?

Yo man, just get back to work bro, no time like the present.

All about the heavy HIT training for us Brits man, no other way! Hardcore...

Definitely start your own journey, I'd follow it for sure.

I have just been working hard, training, doing cardio, sleeping, all the work you gotta do. Nothing special.

iamthemacattack
08-14-13, 5:47 am
Yo man, just get back to work bro, no time like the present.

All about the heavy HIT training for us Brits man, no other way! Hardcore...

Definitely start your own journey, I'd follow it for sure.

I have just been working hard, training, doing cardio, sleeping, all the work you gotta do. Nothing special.

Yeah man it definitely is... I don't really know anyone (who trains properly) that doesn't use HIT methods.

It is most definitely a British thing!

Ah yes, I know that cycle of work train eat sleep very well indeed!

For the next two weeks when I am away though it'll just be some bodyweight stuff and a lot of swimming to keep the bulge away!

Then once I am back I will start my journey and try to get some serious mass added!

Speak to you in a coup'la weeks!

Joe J
08-14-13, 4:03 pm
Yeah man it definitely is... I don't really know anyone (who trains properly) that doesn't use HIT methods.

It is most definitely a British thing!

Ah yes, I know that cycle of work train eat sleep very well indeed!

For the next two weeks when I am away though it'll just be some bodyweight stuff and a lot of swimming to keep the bulge away!

Then once I am back I will start my journey and try to get some serious mass added!

Speak to you in a coup'la weeks!

Have fun bro! Take it easy!

iamthemacattack
09-06-13, 4:57 am
Alright mate,

back from my holiday... added a bit of bark around the midriff, just getting rid of that over the next couple of weeks and starting to bulk. (I've started my own Journey now - Consistency is the Key)

How is the training going? Still doing the Keto?