PDA

View Full Version : Bench for powerlifting or bodybuilding?

Carrnage
05-23-12, 2:04 am
Cool little video I stumbled across, hope it will open the eyes up for anyone that is worried about a big bench press but is a bodybuilder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kUmzfZhgQ&feature=related

Saeger
05-24-12, 7:57 am
Cool little video I stumbled across, hope it will open the eyes up for anyone that is worried about a big bench press but is a bodybuilder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kUmzfZhgQ&feature=related

Interesting video. I'm still figuring kind of figuring some things out about which direction I want to go but leaning toward moving as much weight as possible. I want to fortify this temple the lord built for me lol. Enlightening.

naturalguy
05-24-12, 9:15 am
I've done them both and I can tell you this, benching for bodybuilding killed my shoulders while benching with powerlifting form has been a godsend on my shoulders, yes there is less pec involved however I can now bench again consistently whereas with the bodybuilding style I couldn't and it affected my ability to do shoulder presses as well because my shoulders hurt.

Aggression
05-24-12, 9:19 am
I've done them both and I can tell you this, benching for bodybuilding killed my shoulders while benching with powerlifting form has been a godsend on my shoulders, yes there is less pec involved however I can now bench again consistently whereas with the bodybuilding style I couldn't and it affected my ability to do shoulder presses as well because my shoulders hurt.

Agreed. I just never felt comfortable when doing the BB-Bench. Since really focusing on my PL form, I actually LOVE to bench press for the first time in my life, as opposed to always dreading it.

J-Dawg
05-24-12, 9:38 am
I really like PL benching when doing flat bench (not overly exaggerated). I feel less stress on my shoulders but feel my overall chest strength increase from the movement. But I also like hitting up accessory BB movements like DB Press, Dips, Flyes after to help build my chest from a muscular standpoint.

rbowman91
05-24-12, 5:18 pm
I'm more into bodybuilding overall, but when I bench I go with powerlifting style. I find that, for whatever reason, I get a better pump from doing it that way and my shoulders don't get as involved. However, I don't go all the way to lockout, in order to keep constant tension on the muscle. I go to barely below lockout. I guess that is more of a bodybuilding thing? Not sure if powerlifters do that as well.

PORTERHOUSE
05-24-12, 6:32 pm
My form is a cross between the two I suppose. I keep my shoulders back and a slight arch in my back, although now a huge arch like powerlifters use. I use a closer grip than most powerlifters, and I also don't train to full lockout.

I can't remember if it is this video or one of his other ones, but he demonstrates the bb bench with feet on the bench. I have never understood this method, or the one where guys press with their legs in the air. I keep my feet on the ground and drive off my heels. Being locked into the ground like that allows me to concentrate more weight over the pectorals. If you take your feet out of the equation your less stable, so it's harder for you to put the weight exactly where you want it, because balance is now an issue. That's how I feel atleast.

Deathride
05-25-12, 11:25 am
^^^ Yeah if you want to take your feet out of the equation, do a floor press and stretch your legs out in front of you. Why would you want to teeter on a bench holding 100+k in your outstretched arms?!?!!

Tucking your elbows has dramatically increased my bench.......just on a sidenote, I taught a guy how to bench properly last week and he immediately added 15k onto what he could do for a couple of reps (admittedly it was 45k to 60k but still!) Just shows......

G Diesel
05-25-12, 12:18 pm
I think the powerlifting movement is mechanically advantageous for moving the most weight, but is inferior when it comes to developing your chest.

That is the difference between training bodyparts and training lifts. It is really a matter of individual priority.

Peace, G

Joe J
05-27-12, 4:51 pm
I think the powerlifting movement is mechanically advantageous for moving the most weight, but is inferior when it comes to developing your chest.

That is the difference between training bodyparts and training lifts. It is really a matter of individual priority.

Peace, G

I agree with this. I very strongly believe that the flat BB bench is actually a very inferior movement for a bodybuilder to choose. In my opinion, the decline BB bench press is the most effective chest movement there is. Since dropping flat bench movements from my chest routine and replaced them with more efficient movements, I've noticed a huge difference.