PDA

View Full Version : Cardio/Strength Training

ajoaks
05-27-12, 9:00 am
so yall's opinion, which is better Cardio then hit the weights, or save cardio for after?

I personally like to do a little of both, more of a warm up light cardio before just to get the body woke up and going, and then after the weights go a little harder and get out all the rest of the energy I have.

PORTERHOUSE
05-27-12, 11:02 am
so yall's opinion, which is better Cardio then hit the weights, or save cardio for after?

I personally like to do a little of both, more of a warm up light cardio before just to get the body woke up and going, and then after the weights go a little harder and get out all the rest of the energy I have.

cardio after, although just warming up a bit first wont hurt ya.

But if you're there to train, put all your energy towards that.

zubda345
05-27-12, 2:46 pm
Cardio away from weight training is good I think. Cause if one does cardio after his weight training he is actually draining more energy from his body, he should refil his energy so that his body can start to recover fast. and should do the same after cardio. keeping them away from eachother is beneficial for the body I think.

Joe J
05-27-12, 4:38 pm
I massively believe in keeping cardio as far away from training as possible. If you have to do it, I'd say to put it after, so you can still give the weights your full attention.

ajoaks
05-27-12, 9:52 pm
yeah, i sometimes have the time to seperate them, but for the most part I have about a 2 1/2 hour window to do all my gym time so i have to do them together.

zubda345
05-28-12, 2:01 am
yeah, i sometimes have the time to seperate them, but for the most part I have about a 2 1/2 hour window to do all my gym time so i have to do them together.

It's a no prob thou, you can still do it after weight training. it'll be goood.

Ady
05-28-12, 5:30 am
Cardio before weights otherwise your energy stores will be depleted and you will not be able to be as intense with ya weights

Joe J
05-28-12, 8:33 am
Cardio before weights otherwise your energy stores will be depleted and you will not be able to be as intense with ya weights

This doesn't make sense?

Ady
05-28-12, 9:52 am

This doesn't make sense?

Agreed meant to type weights before cardio otherwise you will deplete your energy stores .... Don't know how to edit :S

PORTERHOUSE
05-28-12, 11:24 am

You'll do fine that way, plenty of guys do.

I usually do steady state for 30 mins post, and then another 30-45 min session later in the evening if I'm dieting down. (I actually follow this protocol pretty much when gaining as well. Schwaaaat? Cardio when gaining? I must be the antichrist!)

Lately however, I have just been too damn hungry at the end of my workouts to hit cardio, so I don't do it. You gotta know how to listen to what your body is telling you, if you're drained and hungry, don't drag your ass on a treadmill for a half hour, go eat something and come back later. I am now hitting 2, 30 min sessions a day (sometimes more, sometimes less), but both are coming after I have come home from the gym. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in fat loss/recovery.

I think the most important thing here, is one: using the time frame you have the most effective way you can, and two: learning to listen to your body.

PORTERHOUSE
05-28-12, 11:24 am
Agreed meant to type weights before cardio otherwise you will deplete your energy stores .... Don't know how to edit :S

haha, I do that shit all the time.

ajoaks
05-29-12, 10:21 am
You'll do fine that way, plenty of guys do.

I usually do steady state for 30 mins post, and then another 30-45 min session later in the evening if I'm dieting down. (I actually follow this protocol pretty much when gaining as well. Schwaaaat? Cardio when gaining? I must be the antichrist!)

Lately however, I have just been too damn hungry at the end of my workouts to hit cardio, so I don't do it. You gotta know how to listen to what your body is telling you, if you're drained and hungry, don't drag your ass on a treadmill for a half hour, go eat something and come back later. I am now hitting 2, 30 min sessions a day (sometimes more, sometimes less), but both are coming after I have come home from the gym. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in fat loss/recovery.

I think the most important thing here, is one: using the time frame you have the most effective way you can, and two: learning to listen to your body.

thanks man. I guess a 3rd thing to take away as well, is when it comes down to it, if you fuel your body right and don't overtrain, it doesnt really matter when you do cardio, just as long as you do it, you will get benefits from it

C.Coronato
05-29-12, 1:03 pm
Ideally you want them at separate times, but as we all understand and go through, most of us do not have the luxury of that much free time.

I have always done cardio in the AM and then again post workout. When its post workout, ill train, have my Nitro, then do cardio, then a shake.

Grimm
05-30-12, 6:13 pm
Cardio after man! I'm assuming you're going heavy with low rest periods? That's gonna burn far more calories than a 30min steady state on the treadmill. Unless you're cranking out some crazy numbers like a 7 minute mile pace. I like to take cardio outside the gym. Hit a field or park and run some sprints. Or run a trail twice a week. Sometimes I don't even count how far I've gone I just go off feeling.

ajoaks
05-30-12, 9:56 pm
Cardio after man! I'm assuming you're going heavy with low rest periods? That's gonna burn far more calories than a 30min steady state on the treadmill. Unless you're cranking out some crazy numbers like a 7 minute mile pace. I like to take cardio outside the gym. Hit a field or park and run some sprints. Or run a trail twice a week. Sometimes I don't even count how far I've gone I just go off feeling.

I actually did some sprint days 3xs a week for a while and got some great cardio from that. Yeah the lifting is definitely where my focus is, cardio I just do to stay in shape and to keep my 1.5 mile up to par and my waist line under control to pass my PT test.