PDA

View Full Version : Happy memorial day

Honey Badger
05-27-12, 9:29 pm
To all of our brothers and sisters whom are in the " iron house " happy memorial Day "
Thank you

Bruiser
05-28-12, 11:44 am
I wanna say thanks to all our service men and women. For all you do, for all you've given up. We can never thank you enough. Plenty of our Animal Brotherhood fit into this category. And I wanna thank Animal for all they do to support the military as well.

SailinScotty
05-28-12, 11:54 am
Thank you to all our service men and women. Have a safe and great Memorial day.

Solid Dreams
05-28-12, 12:18 pm
For sure. Everything you guys do to protect us (and others) is extremely appreciated. Hope you guys have a good day for yourself.

rev8ball
05-28-12, 12:27 pm
Solid.
Without them, we wouldn't be here.
Thanks.....

GUNS
05-28-12, 3:41 pm
Grilling burgers? Going to the beach? Sports on TV?

Memorial Day is about none of these things.

It is a Federal holiday honoring members of the United States Armed Forces who have died in war or while otherwise serving their country. Our country. It began as Decoration Day following the Civil War, because the living would honor the dead by decorating their graves. This tradition endures, especially at military cemeteries like Arlington National Cemetery where an American flag is placed on every single grave. In non-military cemeteries the fallen are likewise honored, usually by friends and relatives, but anyone is free to pay their respects to those who made the greatest possible sacrifice so that the rest of us can continue to do what we enjoy doing. The traditional time to visit cemeteries or war memorials is at 3PM local time on Memorial Day, which is Monday. U.S. flags will be flown at half-mast until noon. According to the US Government’s website, you can also “Pay tribute to the U.S. men and women who died during military service by observing a minute of silence at 3:00 PM, local time.”

Memorial Day used to be held on May 30 regardless, and was moved to the last Monday in May in 1968 to create a three-day annual weekend. Interestingly there are those who oppose the weekend idea and advocate its return to fixed date, including the Veterans of Foreign War (VFW). In the Eighties Hawaiian Senator Daniel Inouye, himself a WWII veteran, introduced legislation (unsuccessful) to return the original date. The idea is that if Memorial Day was not simply a long weekend holiday for going to the beach and grilling, more Americans might actually realize that it has a deeper and much more somber meaning.

To the members of the United States Armed Services, past and present, thank you for your service.

“The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.” John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I like what Kennedy said, "Americans have always paid it" Thanks to everyone for the support, and I thanks my fellow service members both past and present! I thank my father for his 30 years of service and am thankful to still have him here.

I thank 2 of my very good friends,

Joel, killed in 2004 Mosul, Iraq.

Ray, killed in Paktika, Afghanistan last year Oct 2011.

You both were great friends, great fathers and husbands, and great countrymen! Proud to call you my friends, and proud to have served along side of you. You will not ever be forgotten!

C.Coronato
05-30-12, 10:58 am
Thank you all and happy Memorial day as well!