PDA

View Full Version : What's great about your commercial gym?

IRN-NML
06-01-12, 4:35 pm
Let's hear what's great about where you train or why doesn't your (non home) gym suck?

C.Coronato
06-01-12, 5:14 pm
I am at a no frills mom and pop type place now. Gym, lockerroom, cardio. Essentials. A few things i do miss are a sauna and a pool / hot tub. Some days those would all come in handy for sure.

JUGGERNAUT
06-01-12, 5:27 pm
The best part about a commercial gym is this... the women there are date-ready after training. Designer outfits clinging to their cardio only but did not break a sweat defined bodies, Chanel No. 5 behind their ears and areas that would make a grown man blush, photo shoot ready hair and makeup, usually a high-end ride in case your 1985 does not turn over.

Sprint
06-01-12, 5:54 pm
Decent number of thrones, so no queing for the single bog in the building.

Due to the place being full of your common/garden variety, 9-5 folk, the place is virtually empty by the time James & myself get cracking at 9pm.

For similar reasons as above, any major sporting event means that the beer gardens are full & the gym is a ghost town, & just like the above, anybody else who happens to be hitting it at 9pm or during the big game, are typically in to work & don't fuck about getting in the way & doing shit all.

Cellardweller
06-01-12, 9:07 pm
I work out in a racket club/ family fitness center and if I time it right after the zumba classes get out, I have the weight room to myself. Solitude is bliss.

N. Motta
06-01-12, 9:49 pm
There's nothing good about a commercial gym.... OH. I see what you did there OP.

Well played.

mdh84
06-02-12, 12:13 am
In the evenings there is nothing great about my gym. When I go at 4am before work on the weekdays, it's the best gym in the world.

Solid Dreams
06-02-12, 1:52 am
At the old gym I used to go to the cable things went up a little higher and there was a back pullover machine.

That's really all I miss, I never used the sauna or pool.

Honey Badger
06-02-12, 10:13 am
Best thing at my gym is that it has two hours where I can work out
from 1 pm to 4 pm No body is there and I have the place to myself

JasonG
06-02-12, 11:45 am
My gym or health club (to be more accurate) is the YMCA's here in Wichita. There's six of them that all have there good points and are all different. I get a good change of scenery when needed. One of them has a 8 lap mile indoor track, which is nice. Great equipment, except the db's don't go above 140, 100, 125, or 130 depending on which one I go to. Love finishing the day in the steam room. Also there's 4 different waterparks attached to all but 2 of them I can drop the kids off to when I do my thing. I have traveled all over and my 3 favorite real gyms are Brian Dobson's Metroflex, Powerhouse Tampa, and Golds on Flamingo in Vegas which I can't believe closed. I long for a gym like those 3, but don't think they would survive in this town.

IRN-NML
06-02-12, 8:02 pm
There's nothing good about a commercial gym.... OH. I see what you did there OP.

Well played.

I'm thinking any public/private non home gym from hole in the wall to iron mecca gym; not so called gyms with old school "shhhhhh" library rules.

N. Motta
06-02-12, 8:22 pm
I'm thinking any public/private non home gym from hole in the wall to iron mecca gym; not so called gyms with old school "shhhhhh" library rules.

Haha I hear ya. I'm such a creature of habit, I avoid any other gym like the plague. That is MY gym.

Big Wides
06-03-12, 9:48 am
The best part about a commercial gym is this... the women there are date-ready after training. Designer outfits clinging to their cardio only but did not break a sweat defined bodies, Chanel No. 5 behind their ears and areas that would make a grown man blush, photo shoot ready hair and makeup, usually a high-end ride in case your 1985 does not turn over.

that is awesome, your starting to sound like me

DMachine
06-03-12, 11:13 am
Let's hear what's great about where you train or why doesn't your (non home) gym suck?

I'm not a fan of commercial gyms, but it's the only gym where I live that's open 24/7, and with my working hours that's a must. So, not much of a choice really, haha.

Joe J
06-04-12, 8:18 am
Our gym is inherently pretty hardcore. Big gym, lots of weights and a great atmosphere. The problem as of recently is the people who attend the gym. Me and Ryan C are hardcore HIT trainers, and we make alotta fucking noise on those sets to complete failure, and people seem to think staring and laughing is a good response to people training hard.

Razor
06-04-12, 8:44 am
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Sigh.

World Eater
06-04-12, 12:34 pm
Wide variety of dumbbells and multiple pairs of the most often used ones, a bunch of different curl bars, multiple cable stations, pulldowns & seated rows, 2 bench racks, incline & decline bench, hammer strenght version of pretty much every upper body machine... So pretty much just a lot of stuff to chose, use and abuse. Plus there are some real nice people and a bunch of more serious guys among the 9-5 desk job dads. The cardio room is on the other side of the bar & locker room along with a bunch of machines and lighter weights so there's a safe place for all the women and elderly folks to work out.

Also, the gym is owned by 2 former K-1 champions, has a nice dojo and a bunch of great fighters. Good folks.

J-Dawg
06-04-12, 12:38 pm
Nothing spectacular--just a place to train hard and get my workouts in. Ain't the greatest but I make do with what it has.

Aggression
06-04-12, 12:48 pm
I am at a no frills mom and pop type place now. Gym, lockerroom, cardio. Essentials. A few things i do miss are a sauna and a pool / hot tub. Some days those would all come in handy for sure.

I train at the same place C.Coronato does.

A row of cardio equipment, a basic locker room, dumbbells up to 150lbs, power rack, deadlift platform, chalk is OK, chains for resistance, and a friendly atmosphere.

NJC_Manhattan
06-04-12, 2:10 pm
Very close tie between the following;

- Cardio machines have little tvs connected to them that have Netflix and HBO go. If I'm feeling tapped out, then I just toss on Game of Thrones. After that intro I feel like such a boss that I crank out 15 miles. ha

- One of the few gyms that has a donkey calf machine. You ever watch a cardio bunny use a donkey calf machine? It's like witnessing a unicorn drinking out of a small lake. So legit.

N. Motta
06-04-12, 2:25 pm
You ever watch a cardio bunny use a donkey calf machine? It's like witnessing a unicorn drinking out of a small lake.

Hahaha wow! You lucky SOB!

Aggression
06-04-12, 2:27 pm
You ever watch a cardio bunny use a donkey calf machine? It's like witnessing a unicorn drinking out of a small lake. So legit.

TPN (top-post-nominee)

And Netflix/HBO on your cardio equipment? Clutch. What gym?

NJC_Manhattan
06-04-12, 5:33 pm
TPN (top-post-nominee)

And Netflix/HBO on your cardio equipment? Clutch. What gym?

My CT gym, Healthtrax, has it.

JUGGERNAUT
06-04-12, 5:40 pm
that is awesome, your starting to sound like me

Just sharing a singular brain cell

NJC_Manhattan
06-12-12, 10:16 pm
Hahaha wow! You lucky SOB!

It's a good time

Kingslayer
06-13-12, 6:51 am
I like the sauna, it's a place to clear my head. I hit it at 5AM so it's a ghost town. Dues don't cost me too much through work either. But from 2-9pm that place is a mad house and in the worst way...

Adrenaline
06-14-12, 4:58 pm
Most of the leg machines are next to a door that leads to the big empty back parking lot so ya don't have to worry about making it to the puke bucket.

The gyms about 10 minutes from my house, too