PDA

View Full Version : Moving a heavy load of crap or moving a heavy set?

IRN-NML
06-01-12, 4:56 pm
Couldn't help but notice while waiting for a young guy to finish a 20 rep lat pulldown set with too heavy a weight. Very unlikely any two reps were the same; even the first eight or so. Crap form is crap form; whether it's a 'feels heavy' 20lbs or 200lbs. Wasn't a rank noob either. Not my biz, but I can't 'unsee' it.

Bruiser
06-01-12, 5:09 pm
Next time offer him help, nicely. If you train alone, you could train for years, make great gains but never know that your form is shit. You could be dong the guy the biggest favor of his life and he may thank you... or tell you to fuck off. But either way, offer him a hand. If you were him, wouldn't you wanna know?

P Diesel
06-01-12, 5:45 pm
Couldn't help but notice while waiting for a young guy to finish a 20 rep lat pulldown set with too heavy a weight. Very unlikely any two reps were the same; even the first eight or so. Crap form is crap form; whether it's a 'feels heavy' 20lbs or 200lbs. Wasn't a rank noob either. Not my biz, but I can't 'unsee' it.

i wouldnt worry about the dude, know that he isnt gettin the most out of his training anf move on, doesnt effect u. maybe a good thing, makes u aware of ur own sets and reps and ur own form.

P

Carrnage
06-01-12, 8:22 pm

I would not worry about people like that. People are so concerned with lifting heavy weight via "manly ego". Weight should only be concerned with for progression.

PORTERHOUSE
06-02-12, 10:17 am
Next time offer him help, nicely. If you train alone, you could train for years, make great gains but never know that your form is shit. You could be dong the guy the biggest favor of his life and he may thank you... or tell you to fuck off. But either way, offer him a hand. If you were him, wouldn't you wanna know?

About two weeks this guy who has been somewhat stalking my girlfriend (bothers her at the gym constantly, tries to talk to her, esp. about our relationship, stares, showed up at her work a few times etc... not cool, actually approaching police involvement) gave me some advice on squatting.

To start, this guy is probably 6'1'' - 6'2'', 150 lbs, unbelievably scrawny. As I am training, out of the corner of my eyes I can see him staring at me and shaking his head. He is in the power cage directly next to me and has some weird network of bands (involving, perhaps, 6-8 bands) set up through the cage so he can stand 3 feet off the ground on the safety bars and throw punches using the bands as resistance...

Well after about 2-3 sets of my "squats", he comes over with a huge smirk on his face to tell me that he thinks I am leaning too far forward on my squats and that he doesn't think I should do any more until I learn the form better.

I asked him if he had ever heard of good-mornings.

His smirk faded instantly and I literally watched the confidence drain from his face as he now realized he may be making a fool of himself. He mumbled something incoherent and walked away with a perplexed look on his face. I'm sure when he googled "good mornings" later that day he was a little embarrassed.

This guy and I have such different builds I am surprised he thought he could give me advice in the first place, I mean stand next to this guy and you'll look like Phil Heath, but he seemed pretty excited to make the "meathead" boyfriend look like an idiot.

Oops.

DustinPosey
06-02-12, 9:25 pm
^-- That. I wouldn't be in a big rush to jump on people for their form. Most of the time you can tell when it's just ego lifting but sometimes people do odd things with a purpose. I've never said anything to anyone in the gym about their lifting unless I know them and try to just focus on my own routine. I have a couple friends who are very arrogant about laughing at other people's workouts, constantly making jokes about high squatters and rounded back deadlifters because they feel they are "In the know" but in reality it just makes you look like a jackass. If you are big and strong, but also know you have work to do as well, then that will come across and people will come to you for advice if they feel they need it.

TigerAce01
06-02-12, 9:33 pm
I train at home. I stopped paying attention to anyone in any gym because I have too much to worry about already. If someone asks, I'll politely answer and help to the best of my limited ability. Other than that, I don't give a shit.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
06-02-12, 9:39 pm
I train at home. I stopped paying attention to anyone in any gym because I have too much to worry about already. If someone asks, I'll politely answer and help to the best of my limited ability. Other than that, I don't give a shit.

-Ace

^ This.

Joe J
06-03-12, 10:46 am
Offer the guy some fucking advice if you thought his form was that bad. Posting a thread about how shit someones form is that you saw at your gym in my mind is pretty low. This forum isn't to shit on other people but to help those who need it.

Big Wides
06-06-12, 8:08 am
I'm reading through this and I am confused as to what the problem is? Is it that the dude put on more weight than he could handle and was using some body english to move the weight or his form was just off? I will at times load up a bar with a weight I either struggle to do, or cannot do and lift it with form that is not considered "textbook". From my perspective the overload of weight, no matter how it is lifted will train your CNS, muscles, joints, ligaments to accept a greater load than it normally can. Which will then allow you to lift heavier weights under "optimal" conditions. What I'm saying is, that it is OK to cheat on form on occasion in order to push your training and growth to the next level

thecrippler6669
06-08-12, 10:06 am
^-- That. I wouldn't be in a big rush to jump on people for their form. Most of the time you can tell when it's just ego lifting but sometimes people do odd things with a purpose. I've never said anything to anyone in the gym about their lifting unless I know them and try to just focus on my own routine. I have a couple friends who are very arrogant about laughing at other people's workouts, constantly making jokes about high squatters and rounded back deadlifters because they feel they are "In the know" but in reality it just makes you look like a jackass. If you are big and strong, but also know you have work to do as well, then that will come across and people will come to you for advice if they feel they need it.

What exactly is a high squatter or rounded back dead lifter? I have a feeling I might be both of those, haha. Seriously though, I don't think I get low enough on my squats, no matter how light the weight. Is it usually just a flexability issue?

Tron
06-08-12, 10:16 am
What exactly is a high squatter or rounded back dead lifter? I have a feeling I might be both of those, haha. Seriously though, I don't think I get low enough on my squats, no matter how light the weight. Is it usually just a flexability issue?

Most often a form issue. Likely you're doing something wrong, be it your body mechanics with stance or something else.

thecrippler6669
06-08-12, 10:45 am
Most often a form issue. Likely you're doing something wrong, be it your body mechanics with stance or something else.

Weight on the heels, back straight. Am I missing something?

Tron
06-08-12, 12:50 pm
Weight on the heels, back straight. Am I missing something?

Width of your feet is one that comes to mind. I use a wider than shoulder width stance due to the same issue you are talking about.