PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Steel

SirBudrick
06-04-12, 2:21 pm
I'm not too good of a writer, especially about myself, but I guess to get started I'll start at the beginning and hopefully it gets interesting.

I've always been enthusiastic about health and fitness, I've also always been a "little guy," meaning short. So the big sports eventually didn't work for me, Football, Hockey, Baseketball...don't get me wrong, I was always a do or die kind of guy, a mentality I adopted young. That's what happens when you hear "you can't because" a lot. Well there are a couple of ways to go, either push through the bs and acheive or belive the bs and quit. I've never been much of a quitter.

At any rate, I got started lifting in high school with friends, but none of us knew what we were doing. So the biggest measures were 1 arm push ups and 1 arm pull ups. Imagine a bunch of high school kids just goofing off in the small weight room in a corner of a basement at an old Catholic High School. Needless to say the biggest among us had more baby fat than anything.

Then came the Army and college. Lifting weights became important over time and it went from a random after school thing to a regimented program. The more I learned the better I became. I found that I was running way too much too fast to put good weight on. So I adjusted. I started getting the results I wanted and for a time grew like I never had before. Then came my first daughter after a tour in Afghanistan. Some of the older guys told me I'd gain weight too but I didn't believe it, until I realized the only thing I was lifting anymore was a fork.

So I hit a re-start point.

A couple of tours in the middle east and keeping fit for the Army left me in pretty good shape. I was big in the right places and the was doing well. My last tour in Iraq was my biggest and strongest yet. Despite the crazy tempo of patrols and such, I found time to hit it hard for a couple hours a day even if that meant only a few hours of sleep (nothing new for a Ranger). I got too big for my IBA (vest) which was pretty freaking sweet. Then there was a special IED blast that damaged 2 of my vertebrae. Been dealing with that ever since and it's been an uphill battle for the last 4 years.

I've pledged that I will be the guy that was twisted steel once upon a time again.

Since that time, I've gotten to pretty good weights and I've had to adjust to not being able to do certain exercises and finding workarounds, but I make it work.

the happy ending is I'm getting closer and closer to my goal. I may not be the 185 lbs beast I once was but that's ok. There's more to lifting weights than just gaining size. It's a spiritual experience for me that helps me clear my mind of bad times and stress. Just me and the iron. I am remarried to a great (AND FIT!) woman that supports me. She's given me a completely awesome 2 year old girl and an 11 year old stepson. And all of us are just as motivated. Mom and the baby are doing Insanity while me and my boy are in the garage. I'm happy to teach him about form and to pass on the tons of knowledge I've gained and am still gaining thanks to places like this.

Anyway, I'll write more later, I've got work to do or something.

Thanks for reading.

C.Coronato
06-04-12, 3:42 pm
Welcome my brother. Thank you for your service. It sounds like you have had a rough road, but are doing well now. You're in a good place my friend.

SirBudrick
06-06-12, 11:00 am
Welcome my brother. Thank you for your service. It sounds like you have had a rough road, but are doing well now. You're in a good place my friend.

Thanks for the response, bro. Definitely need to get more active. Going for volume as the short term goal right now. Kicking up the cardio. Hopefully soon I'll have my physique back.