PDA

View Full Version : A little advice (Recovering from injury)

AzCrazy1
06-11-12, 2:33 pm
Fellow Animals, about three months ago while snowboarding I got hit by another skier who took out my right knee. An MRI revealed that I had torn the meniscus, minor tear to the MCL & hamstring as well as over taxing my ACL & PCL. I have stayed away from working my legs other than riding my stationary bike & stretching. I am wearing a DonJoy brace which is helping with support but my goal is to be able to function without it. I pretty much have a full gym setup at my house and the only thing I don't have is a leg press. My doctor says I can start working my legs again but I'm not sure where I should start. I know it's going to take time for the recovery and I want to do it right.

Thanks

BigChrisF
06-11-12, 5:38 pm
I would start doing step ups onto some sort of raised surface until you are comfortable stepping up on something about 18" high. Be aware and don't use your other leg to "hop" into the step up. When you can do that I would start squatting with your bodyweight and gradually move up from there. Video your work to see if you shifting to one side. (likely it will be away from the bum knee.)

AzCrazy1
06-11-12, 6:02 pm
I'll give that a shot, thanks!

P Diesel
06-13-12, 12:34 am
I would start doing step ups onto some sort of raised surface until you are comfortable stepping up on something about 18" high. Be aware and don't use your other leg to "hop" into the step up. When you can do that I would start squatting with your bodyweight and gradually move up from there. Video your work to see if you shifting to one side. (likely it will be away from the bum knee.)

for sure agree with this concept, along the line of more therapy then training for sure.

i had my acl and meniscus done in my right knee, if ur cleared by ur doc and he knows ur not a normal person that just wants to be able to get in and otu of ur car comfortably, rather sling sum weight around then start SLOW. theres gna b sum scar tissue for sure that is gna break up and if ur lacking mobility u cant force that. sure it takes time, work on the small muscles and brign back teh stability ur healthy knee had before teh accident. this game is about longevity homey. we are all chompin at the bit to get back to it after an injury

P