PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Doubt.....

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
06-12-12, 7:09 pm
Those of you who know me and follow me probably know that I have made the plunge and I will be competing in my first bodybuilding competition this fall.

I've been stressing over this time for years. Putting pressure on myself. Sorting through the pressure that others have put on me. The negative remarks and criticism I deal with daily from people who want nothing but the worst for me... its been weighing VERY VERY heavy on my heart and mind lately. I feel that I am a friendly guy.... but for some reason 90% of the guys in my area have ego's the size of Mt. Everest and cast me out.... Words out that I'm competing and its raining fire from everywhere... "he won't be ready" "he will bitch out" "he has a lot of work to do" I hear these things every day through the vine. I don't understand. I want to see people succeed.. I've traveled countless hours supporting friends at bodybuilding shows and powerlifting meets. I love this sport and the friends that I've made in it... but somehow I seem to have made more enemies than friends. In my head I like to tell myself "haters gonna hate".. blah blah.. that they hate on me because they missed their dreams... because they dont have the heart and drive to do it... because I'm better than them and they can see it.... because they are scared...jealous.... but at the end of the day I can't convince myself that those things are true. I look in the mirror at what I've built over the last 4 years.... Ive added over 100lbs to my 5'10in frame.... I tear myself apart from head to toe. "you are fat." "you have no delts" "your lat insertions are high" "your calves suck"... As I put down the clay and pick up my chisel... I can't help but wonder whats going to happen over the coming months. Am I going to widdle away to nothing? Will I be lean enough? Will I bitch out?... Maybe I have a false ego in my head thats kept me pushing forward all these years for absolutely nothing..... I've tried and tried to channel it into my training... to say fuck them do your thing and show them how great you are.... but I lay awake at night asking myself if I'm even great? I know I do this for me... but wow my head is fucked right now...

Henious
06-12-12, 7:49 pm
Hey man I feel yea and can total relate. and your spot on with why there hating on you. there all jealous of you and you progress. and although that's the truth, people will still shit talking yea and it will eat away at you. But seriously bro you've gotta think back to what you were years ago. I mean 4 years of your life you've dedicated to this life style, who the fuck are they or any one else for that matter to say what you can and cant do. "If you dream and you believe you can accomplish anything you want to accomplish" i'm the same height as you with shitty genetics and truth is i probably will never be a reigning champ of the stage but fuckin right i'm still going to diet down and give it a shot. like Ox said "I love bodybuilding and anything thats a by product of my hardwork is just great." Keep training and dieting for your show. as long as you try your hardest and give it 110% you've succeeded no matter what any one says. Id also buy a stringer and wear that shit to the gym to show em whats up a few weeks out haha!youve got the support of all the animals here, keep training hard bro you can do it. Also keep us updated on your prep!

Mr. Dead
06-12-12, 8:19 pm
Brother... I may "tease" you about being "The Chase Browning"... But... To be honest... If I didn't think you had anything in you, I'd just ignore you... To hell with what anyone says...!!! Everyone's journey is their own deep and personal voyage... I live constantly with detractors... To hell with them... This is your own personal choice and decision... This is what YOU want to do... The decision was made by you... You have a strong support system here... Tons of resources... YOU go and follow your dreams and goals...!!! If nobody else does... I got your back, and support you...

mritter3
06-12-12, 8:33 pm
Yo chase excited that your getting on that stage this fall, you got a lot of supporters on here and a ton of resources for questions along the way..put those nay Sayers to rest and keep killing it man..the progress you have made is truly inspirational..keep ur head up and nose to the grindstone and you will do great..we are all rooting for ya man.

06-13-12, 9:07 am
Thanks guys I'll get back to you individually in a few.

IRN-NML
06-13-12, 9:15 am
I want to see people succeed.. I've traveled countless hours supporting friends at bodybuilding shows and powerlifting meets. I love this sport and the friends that I've made in it.

Much respect for this attitude and committing to your first bodybuilding comp. Push on, physically and mentally. Quit the enemy count; they're not filling out any official scorecard. Take heart in knowing no matter where you place; middle, top or bottom, you'll gain plenty of valuable, constructive information for your second comp. How often have you heard 'did a comp; never will do it again'? Probably never or not often.

You're really plowing your own road on this first comp. Course, it won't be pretty and perfect, but congrats for even breaking ground and over time, it'll still be hard, but you'll be better informed than the last . Think about those somewhere out there on their own road to a comp; maybe in the fall, maybe next year or maybe next week. Think about them succeeding along with you and dismiss any pointless negative stuff you hear. Push on & credit yourself with your choice to compete! On that, there's no reason to doubt.

Aggression
06-13-12, 9:16 am
Felt. We all go through it when preparing for our first contest. Making the commitment is a big step on its own, CB. Just do your thing. Train hard, eat your meals, do your cardio. Become a machine during prep. It'll pay off in the end. You'll be standing on stage, showing off all the hard work that you've put in over the years. In the grand scheme of things, not too many people can play claim to such a statement. And those people throwing hate daggers now will be the same people asking for advice when the dust settles.

Tiger
06-13-12, 9:28 am
Jealousy and fear.

Don't listen to them. Just listen to yourself - stay focused - and everyone on these boards has got your back.

Go show everyone what you've built. Does it matter what these people putting you down think? Only thing that matters is what you and the people you care about think.

Beowulf
06-13-12, 10:01 am
Those of you who know me and follow me probably know that I have made the plunge and I will be competing in my first bodybuilding competition this fall.

I've been stressing over this time for years. Putting pressure on myself. Sorting through the pressure that others have put on me. The negative remarks and criticism I deal with daily from people who want nothing but the worst for me... its been weighing VERY VERY heavy on my heart and mind lately. I feel that I am a friendly guy.... but for some reason 90% of the guys in my area have ego's the size of Mt. Everest and cast me out.... Words out that I'm competing and its raining fire from everywhere... "he won't be ready" "he will bitch out" "he has a lot of work to do" I hear these things every day through the vine. I don't understand. I want to see people succeed.. I've traveled countless hours supporting friends at bodybuilding shows and powerlifting meets. I love this sport and the friends that I've made in it... but somehow I seem to have made more enemies than friends. In my head I like to tell myself "haters gonna hate".. blah blah.. that they hate on me because they missed their dreams... because they dont have the heart and drive to do it... because I'm better than them and they can see it.... because they are scared...jealous.... but at the end of the day I can't convince myself that those things are true. I look in the mirror at what I've built over the last 4 years.... Ive added over 100lbs to my 5'10in frame.... I tear myself apart from head to toe. "you are fat." "you have no delts" "your lat insertions are high" "your calves suck"... As I put down the clay and pick up my chisel... I can't help but wonder whats going to happen over the coming months. Am I going to widdle away to nothing? Will I be lean enough? Will I bitch out?... Maybe I have a false ego in my head thats kept me pushing forward all these years for absolutely nothing..... I've tried and tried to channel it into my training... to say fuck them do your thing and show them how great you are.... but I lay awake at night asking myself if I'm even great? I know I do this for me... but wow my head is fucked right now...

I posted this on your blog over at Universal, but just remember that without doubts, there can be no clarity. The clarity here is the date you have in the fall. To me, I'd look at that date as a kind of lighthouse in a heavy storm. Just steer by it and ignore everything else.

J-Dawg
06-13-12, 10:22 am
Do it for yourself CB. People will try to bring you down to their level b/c they're afraid of others having success. But in the end, you must ignore what they have to say and only listen to those who have your best interests at heart. Stay around those individuals--the ones who will uplift you--and avoid negative people. They are only looking to bring you down to their level.

You got this CB!

conjugalburns
06-13-12, 11:36 am
seriously dude fuck everyone else. It's your first show, and also a learning experience for you. I doubt this will be your last show either, you're driven and committed to reaching your goals. Just keep giving it your all dude. I think you'll do great.

Madcat
06-13-12, 3:16 pm
Just fuel for the fire bro. I've been there, and I did give up and b*tch out. You won't because you won't let yourself. And even if you did, you are still a winner and someone many of us look up to on here.

No matter what others say, use it to fuel the fire. We got your back every which way possible.

naturalguy
06-13-12, 4:00 pm
The truth is you are human and this is normal, especially for your first contest. I can't tell you how to feel as it's an individual thing but keep in mind in this game of bodybuilding we never feel like we are good enough, it's the constant pursuit of improving. Mr. Olympia feels like he has to work on his weaknesses.

You need to figure out a way to have tunnel vision, focus on your contest, focus on the daily tasks of what you have to do. Ask yourself, why are you doing this? To prove others wrong? or is it for yourself?

It's your first show so don't put a lot of pressure on yourself, at some point we all had to get our feet wet. Keep in mind that bodybuilding is a marathon and not a sprint. While this show is important to you it's not the end of your journey, it's just the beginning.

Aggression
06-13-12, 4:22 pm
While this show is important to you it's not the end of your journey, it's just the beginning.

Right. Stepping on stage is step 1. What you're doing right now is just the prelude. A whole new chapter starts once you step on stage. Bro, I remember being backstage for my first and only show. I knew I wasn't going to win. All 5 of us were stage virgins, first time up there. 3 of the others looks shredpiece. One of them looked like an IFBB PRO, at his FIRST contest. I was pumping up prior to prejudging, thinking, 'what the fuck am i doing up here, I'm going to come in last'. You know what? I did. I took 5/5. But it didn't matter to me. I walked out on stage and had my small support system there. I heard chants and cheers from my friends and family. And at that point, it was all worth it.

Mr. Dead
06-13-12, 4:24 pm
Right. Stepping on stage is step 1. What you're doing right now is just the prelude. A whole new chapter starts once you step on stage. Bro, I remember being backstage for my first and only show. I knew I wasn't going to win. All 5 of us were stage virgins, first time up there. 3 of the others looks shredpiece. One of them looked like an IFBB PRO, at his FIRST contest. I was pumping up prior to prejudging, thinking, 'what the fuck am i doing up here, I'm going to come in last'. You know what? I did. I took 5/5. But it didn't matter to me. I walked out on stage and had my small support system there. I heard chants and cheers from my friends and family. And at that point, it was all worth it.

This...

shortstack
06-13-12, 4:46 pm
Just do your absolute best and dont sweat it brother. I wish I would have trained a little harder for my first show but it gave me the drive to make my self better for the next one.(Still on the horizon)

People are going to hate no matter what so just fix your eyes on the show date and wade through all the crap it takes to get there. You're a big dude and once you cut down and get under the lights, you'll do a great job.

Jeremy

kcburrows
06-18-12, 3:56 pm
Hey man telling you to ignore the haters is definitely easier said than done. And from the single time i met you bro you def made a great impression on me everyone around me. like many before me have said, when people are doubting and hating on you, thats when you know you're headed in the right direction. And keep in mind if you come in the best you've ever looked you have won! whether you take 1st or dont place if you come into the best shape of your life and step on the stage its a win my man. Compete against you, and smile at the haters. whenever i catch wind of someone saying stupid shit like that i just say 'yeah if i was them i'd say that too' because there a reason you're headed to the stage and there still in the background. go get that shit man and dont look back!

06-18-12, 6:37 pm
Hey man I feel yea and can total relate. and your spot on with why there hating on you. there all jealous of you and you progress. and although that's the truth, people will still shit talking yea and it will eat away at you. But seriously bro you've gotta think back to what you were years ago. I mean 4 years of your life you've dedicated to this life style, who the fuck are they or any one else for that matter to say what you can and cant do. "If you dream and you believe you can accomplish anything you want to accomplish" i'm the same height as you with shitty genetics and truth is i probably will never be a reigning champ of the stage but fuckin right i'm still going to diet down and give it a shot. like Ox said "I love bodybuilding and anything thats a by product of my hardwork is just great." Keep training and dieting for your show. as long as you try your hardest and give it 110% you've succeeded no matter what any one says. Id also buy a stringer and wear that shit to the gym to show em whats up a few weeks out haha!youve got the support of all the animals here, keep training hard bro you can do it. Also keep us updated on your prep!

Thanks for the advice man. You brought a great point to my attention. "Look at where you were, and where you are." Ive also come to realize that EVERYONE has detractors and haters.

Brother... I may "tease" you about being "The Chase Browning"... But... To be honest... If I didn't think you had anything in you, I'd just ignore you... To hell with what anyone says...!!! Everyone's journey is their own deep and personal voyage... I live constantly with detractors... To hell with them... This is your own personal choice and decision... This is what YOU want to do... The decision was made by you... You have a strong support system here... Tons of resources... YOU go and follow your dreams and goals...!!! If nobody else does... I got your back, and support you...

MD you are seasoned vet around here and a fan/competitor for years. This means more than you know. Like said YOU make YOUR decisions to follow YOUR dreams.

Yo chase excited that your getting on that stage this fall, you got a lot of supporters on here and a ton of resources for questions along the way..put those nay Sayers to rest and keep killing it man..the progress you have made is truly inspirational..keep ur head up and nose to the grindstone and you will do great..we are all rooting for ya man.

Ritter, man. Thank you. I feel that I had temporarily lost sight of why I was doing this.

Much respect for this attitude and committing to your first bodybuilding comp. Push on, physically and mentally. Quit the enemy count; they're not filling out any official scorecard. Take heart in knowing no matter where you place; middle, top or bottom, you'll gain plenty of valuable, constructive information for your second comp. How often have you heard 'did a comp; never will do it again'? Probably never or not often.

You're really plowing your own road on this first comp. Course, it won't be pretty and perfect, but congrats for even breaking ground and over time, it'll still be hard, but you'll be better informed than the last . Think about those somewhere out there on their own road to a comp; maybe in the fall, maybe next year or maybe next week. Think about them succeeding along with you and dismiss any pointless negative stuff you hear. Push on & credit yourself with your choice to compete! On that, there's no reason to doubt.

Just like the Animal ad "Press On." Thank you for the wisdom.

Felt. We all go through it when preparing for our first contest. Making the commitment is a big step on its own, CB. Just do your thing. Train hard, eat your meals, do your cardio. Become a machine during prep. It'll pay off in the end. You'll be standing on stage, showing off all the hard work that you've put in over the years. In the grand scheme of things, not too many people can play claim to such a statement. And those people throwing hate daggers now will be the same people asking for advice when the dust settles.

Aggs, you've been with me practically step by step down this long path. When you speak, I listen. Time to put my head down and disappear...fade away. Go inside myself, and just fucking do it. Thank you brother.

06-18-12, 6:48 pm
Jealousy and fear.

Don't listen to them. Just listen to yourself - stay focused - and everyone on these boards has got your back.

Go show everyone what you've built. Does it matter what these people putting you down think? Only thing that matters is what you and the people you care about think.

Hood up, head down. Im blocking the world out. Aside from my friends here and over at UniversalUSA.

I posted this on your blog over at Universal, but just remember that without doubts, there can be no clarity. The clarity here is the date you have in the fall. To me, I'd look at that date as a kind of lighthouse in a heavy storm. Just steer by it and ignore everything else.

Absolutely. For so long I've had the little guy syndrome(starting at 137lbs).... I used that as an excuse not to compete. In reality, no 22 year old kid is gonna step on stage and look like Mr. O. These last 4 years of bulking have been a self induced "storm"... a necessary one. Now its time to bring on the sunshine.

Do it for yourself CB. People will try to bring you down to their level b/c they're afraid of others having success. But in the end, you must ignore what they have to say and only listen to those who have your best interests at heart. Stay around those individuals--the ones who will uplift you--and avoid negative people. They are only looking to bring you down to their level.

You got this CB!

Thank you J. This is something that I really needed to hear. Ive let a few people in my corner b/c of their reputation, knowledge, accomplishments.. but as you said they may not have my best interests in mind. Im tightening up my circle and I'm proud to say that my Animal/Universal family have NEVER let me down.

seriously dude fuck everyone else. It's your first show, and also a learning experience for you. I doubt this will be your last show either, you're driven and committed to reaching your goals. Just keep giving it your all dude. I think you'll do great.

Tough love. I needed that. Shut the fuck up and pay my dues. Head down, hood up.

Just fuel for the fire bro. I've been there, and I did give up and b*tch out. You won't because you won't let yourself. And even if you did, you are still a winner and someone many of us look up to on here.

No matter what others say, use it to fuel the fire. We got your back every which way possible.

Thanks MC. Like I said in a prior post. I think Ive lost sight of why I do this. For MYSELF and for MY BROTHERS. Just so you know....to those who look up to me. Its a mutual thing. Never forget that. We are brothers. None are ahead of others. We SHARE the positive energy. Thats why this place and UniversalUSA have such awesome atmospheres.

06-18-12, 6:58 pm
The truth is you are human and this is normal, especially for your first contest. I can't tell you how to feel as it's an individual thing but keep in mind in this game of bodybuilding we never feel like we are good enough, it's the constant pursuit of improving. Mr. Olympia feels like he has to work on his weaknesses.

You need to figure out a way to have tunnel vision, focus on your contest, focus on the daily tasks of what you have to do. Ask yourself, why are you doing this? To prove others wrong? or is it for yourself?

It's your first show so don't put a lot of pressure on yourself, at some point we all had to get our feet wet. Keep in mind that bodybuilding is a marathon and not a sprint. While this show is important to you it's not the end of your journey, it's just the beginning.

NG.. being the first person I ever met in association with Animal/Universal and someone whos been in my corner since day one... Your words are worth millions to me. As I was reading this I made a huge realization. If I cant deal with a few ear bangers at the local rec center... how would I ever make it as a top competitor. Theres more hate and negativity placed on those guys than I could even imagine. Block that shit out. Do it for ME. and keep the notion that it is my FIRST show in the back of my mind. Thank you NG.

Best shape of your life. Thats the thoughts that I want running through my head. Blinders to the hate. Blinders to the competitors beside me. This is MY journey. Its for me. Its for my family here and over at UniversalUsa. Its for anyone who cares enough to genuinely wish me well.

Just do your absolute best and dont sweat it brother. I wish I would have trained a little harder for my first show but it gave me the drive to make my self better for the next one.(Still on the horizon)

People are going to hate no matter what so just fix your eyes on the show date and wade through all the crap it takes to get there. You're a big dude and once you cut down and get under the lights, you'll do a great job.

Jeremy

Thanks J. I'm going to treat it like shift work. I punch the clock in the kitchen every 2 hours. Punch the clock in the morning for cardio. In the evening to train. Lights out. Day in day out.

Hey man telling you to ignore the haters is definitely easier said than done. And from the single time i met you bro you def made a great impression on me everyone around me. like many before me have said, when people are doubting and hating on you, thats when you know you're headed in the right direction. And keep in mind if you come in the best you've ever looked you have won! whether you take 1st or dont place if you come into the best shape of your life and step on the stage its a win my man. Compete against you, and smile at the haters. whenever i catch wind of someone saying stupid shit like that i just say 'yeah if i was them i'd say that too' because there a reason you're headed to the stage and there still in the background. go get that shit man and dont look back!

Thanks KC. It means a lot. I try to present myself as humble fan of the sport. I have HUGE DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS... and at times I feel that I am well on my way, but I like to think that I set myself aside from all the douchebag cocky fucks that think they are perfect human specimens. As you said, this is me against me from now on. Im doing it for myself, and for my friends here, you included. Lets do this.

06-19-12, 2:11 pm
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the support. You guys keep me on my game more than you will ever know.

IRN-NML
06-19-12, 2:51 pm
Read this; hell, memorize it, for more determination.
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=livin&ID=165

06-19-12, 2:53 pm

Thank you. For real. That is fucking fire.

smoothballer
06-20-12, 9:11 am

Epic Boom

C.Coronato
06-20-12, 11:07 am
Enough ranting and raving. How we looking?

06-20-12, 1:15 pm
Enough ranting and raving. How we looking?

Fat. But wheels are turning.

G Diesel
06-20-12, 1:38 pm
Do it for the right reasons. Because you truly want to, not because you feel you have to because of social pressures. Do it for yourself.

This sport should be very personal, an individual's journey to create something better than what they were born with. That happens one meal at a time, one set at a time, not in the pages of any magazine or necessarily on an NPC stage.

Peace, G

06-20-12, 3:03 pm
Do it for the right reasons. Because you truly want to, not because you feel you have to because of social pressures. Do it for yourself.

This sport should be very personal, an individual's journey to create something better than what they were born with. That happens one meal at a time, one set at a time, not in the pages of any magazine or necessarily on an NPC stage.

Peace, G

Your words are always appreciated G. I've been inside myself for the last week or so. Really trying to figure out what I wanted and why I do this. Long story short. I remember why I love this sport. I remember who and why I changed my outlook, how insignificant they are. Trimmed the fat, separated myself from those people. Now it feels like I just picked up a weight again for the very first time. I owe it to myself to hit that stage and look my best. I am actually enjoying the gym again. It no longer feels like a job or duty... it feels like recess again.

Rad
06-21-12, 4:08 am
This seems to be the story of my life. Even after competing and taking 2nd I had this dude say ' You'll never do a show, and if you need help with abs let me know'. That came from a douchey physique bro talking shit online. I simply replied 'let me know when you can deadlift 500 lbs bro'.

You know you can do it, and that's all you need. Take the shit people say and use it as fuel to demolish. Good luck man!