PDA

View Full Version : BBin & Sports...

Universal Rep
06-14-12, 2:13 pm
All of us have come to the iron from diff roads... Some from competitive sports. For others, it was the first stop. But if ya do consider yourself an athlete and not just a BBer, wut sports do ya still engage in, even if it ain't competitive? And why? Vote in the poll...

Mr. Dead
06-14-12, 2:16 pm
I still engage in the occasional "pick up" football game... And have even considered trying out for a semi-pro team...

Universal Rep
06-14-12, 2:16 pm
I still engage in the occasional "pick up" football game... And have even considered trying out for a semi-pro team...

Like flag football or touch football? Or football with full pads?

Mr. Dead
06-14-12, 2:17 pm
Like flag football or touch football? Or football with full pads?

Tackle... No pads... However, the semi pro team would be with full pads...

Universal Rep
06-14-12, 2:18 pm
Tackle... No pads... However, the semi pro team would be with full pads...

Didnt know that about ya. Tackle football. Man, that brings back memories from when I wuz a kid...

C.Coronato
06-14-12, 2:24 pm
I played many sports growing up: Flag and Tackle Football, Baseball, Basketball, Street Hockey, Track and Field, Surfing, Snowboarding, Skateboarding.

Sports I engage in now: Bodybuilding, Power lifting, Surfing.

If i were to pick a sport that drove me to the iron I would say Football. I can see Basketball/Baseball players benefit more from cross training type of workouts, and that was not a requirement when we were young.

Mr. Dead
06-14-12, 2:27 pm
Didnt know that about ya. Tackle football. Man, that brings back memories from when I wuz a kid...

Played some high school ball... Got to plow through Barry Sanders... *LOL* He went to Wichita North and I went to Bishop Carroll...

Beowulf
06-14-12, 2:29 pm
I played many sports growing up: Flag and Tackle Football, Baseball, Basketball, Street Hockey, Track and Field, Surfing, Snowboarding, Skateboarding.

Sports I engage in now: Bodybuilding, Power lifting, Surfing.

If i were to pick a sport that drove me to the iron I would say Football. I can see Basketball/Baseball players benefit more from cross training type of workouts, and that was not a requirement when we were young.

Did all those too as a kid. Well, not the surfing. But I can replace that with ultimate frisbee.

World Eater
06-14-12, 4:03 pm
Not very active anymore but I've been an archer since I was 11... Never the best but I'm an instructor these days and I seem to be better at teaching than doing it myself... Makes me feel good y'know, seeing a guy that never in his life held a bow nail the technique after only a few minutes.

rainman
06-15-12, 2:15 pm
I do a lot of mountain biking, specifically the more gravity assisted variety. I'm quite lucky where I live in that there's loads of off road trails that near enough link my house to work without me having to touch a road, so I ride the 5-6 miles most days. OK, so I'm not going to get massive doing this much cardio, but Im holding my own at the gym and I still get that buzz when I feel my wheels just about to wash out on a bend and bringing it back again. It's when I can't bring it back that I lose that feeling unfortunately!

I've also dabbled a bit in parkour, recently pulling a 'human flag', and when I eventually start my Journey it'll probably be based around slightly more unconventional strength training. I've always wanted to do the Iron Cross on gymnastic rings, so maybe that'll be my next stupid move...

Solid Dreams
06-15-12, 2:31 pm
I was really good at wrestling and football in HS, but had some injuries that kept me from playing in college. I'd like to get back into it, but I like bbing more...even if I'm not good at it, it feels really good to be doing something that's solely on you.

Big Wides
06-15-12, 3:28 pm
I did football, track and field in HS and college, but now it's the occasional pick up game of Football or basketball. Which in basketball I'm a mix of Rodman and Robert "Tractor" Traylor, so it's pretty ugly

G Diesel
06-15-12, 5:01 pm
I did football, track and field in HS and college, but now it's the occasional pick up game of Football or basketball. Which in basketball I'm a mix of Rodman and Robert "Tractor" Traylor, so it's pretty ugly

It's true. I've seen it. The dude's a beast. And one of the few FORVM members to have actually played ball with me.

Peace, G

Sprint
06-15-12, 7:39 pm
Was a competitive track athlete long before the iron bit me...

...still am a competitive track athlete as well as a competitive bodybuilder (my athletics coach doesn't approve, on account of the fact that she detests any form of sporting activity that isn't sprinting, but she accepts it on the basis that I remain 100% 'unenhanced', & as she's given the last 13 years of her life to coaching me, I'm not ever going to disrespect her by going against her wish/order)

6 days after placing 2nd at my last show, The UKBFF British Qualifier, I took the County 100m title, & rounded off my first year as a competitive bodybuilder by taking the Sprinter of the Year award at my athletics club's annual awards evening for the second consecutive year.

Appearance or performance?

Why limit yourself to just one or the other??

Plus it allows me to work off a 10-week contest prep as opposed to 12 or 14 weeks.

rev8ball
06-15-12, 7:49 pm
Played baseball as a catcher (the REAL reason my left knee is fucked - not because of competing in PL!), and off-road racing.... Speaking of which, you would not believe how much lifting weights helped with that!

machineman
06-15-12, 8:50 pm
Was a competitive swimmer for 14 years, played water polo in high school. I was recuited to play in College, but it didn't work out and it was for the best. I quickly realized that sitting behind a desk wasn't for me. Grew up water skiiing, snowboarding all that stuff. Got into motorcycle road racing and jujitsu about 7 or 8 years ago. I sold my last bike back in 08. Once I get my own machine shop running (within in the next 6 months) I want to get another track bike and head back to the track.

Universal Rep
06-18-12, 12:12 pm
Good to see that fellas are not just into weightliftin but still do other sports as well in order to be well-rounded...