PDA

View Full Version : 531 for bodybuilding

xrealityapproachesx
06-17-12, 6:17 pm
i'm a powerlifter first and foremost. do you guys think using this template for 531 will take away from my strength while building a physique or will it make me bigger and stronger? i've never messed with bodybuilding seriously but i want to be bigger. theres no use in being retardedly strong if you're retardedly fat.
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/
i plan on running this until i'm about 8 weeks out from a meet. at which point i'll switch to the 531 for pl pre-meet template.
thanks in advance for the feedback!

Polk17
06-17-12, 7:50 pm
i'm a powerlifter first and foremost. do you guys think using this template for 531 will take away from my strength while building a physique or will it make me bigger and stronger? i've never messed with bodybuilding seriously but i want to be bigger. theres no use in being retardedly strong if you're retardedly fat.
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/
i plan on running this until i'm about 8 weeks out from a meet. at which point i'll switch to the 531 for pl pre-meet template.
thanks in advance for the feedback!

Absolutely not... I think it would work fine, I would just focus on bigger movements, not shaping type stuff, that is all...

xrealityapproachesx
06-17-12, 9:07 pm
so basically push the main lifts as hard as possible and then put whatever i have left into the assistance that he listed?

Polk17
06-17-12, 10:03 pm
so basically push the main lifts as hard as possible and then put whatever i have left into the assistance that he listed?

I'd push the main lifts hard as always, then pick bang for your buck assistance and hit them with volume, something like 3-5 sets of 8-12... With the exception of Kroc Rows...

C.Coronato
06-18-12, 10:22 am
I didnt even know Wendler put out a 5/3/1 for bodybuilders, but i have been doing the similar. Check out my log.

Wycked
06-18-12, 11:18 am
I didnt even know Wendler put out a 5/3/1 for bodybuilders, but i have been doing the similar. Check out my log.

I would some more volume in and refining exercisesz that isolate. Bodybuilding is what says its body building. The idea is to build the body focusing on specific muscles. Not simply lifting things up and putting them down lol

World Eater
06-18-12, 1:12 pm
I was under the impression that Boring But Big was meant for hypertrophy and thus sort of bodybuilding as well. Wasn't aware of the article linked in the OP but it seems to be much more bodybuilding focused than BBB.

Carrnage
06-18-12, 8:12 pm
I would some more volume in and refining exercisesz that isolate. Bodybuilding is what says its body building. The idea is to build the body focusing on specific muscles. Not simply lifting things up and putting them down lol

This is why im a fan of you.

lol

Thats what people don't realize, bodybuilding is a tad bit more "specific", you still want to lift with heavy compound movements, but with slight intentions like maybe shoving hands in togethere with a press to put more emphasis on the chest, or shoving outwards on your lat exercises.

P Diesel
06-20-12, 12:34 am

whats wrong with lifting things up and putting them down Wyck ?! :)

P

C.Coronato
06-20-12, 11:13 am

I do it different. My main lifts are in the 5/3/1 fashion, as i do compete in PL as well. But after that, i do a complete BB workout as well with all of the iso movements that I have always done.