PDA

View Full Version : Oven baked ribs

MRmichael.hooker
06-17-12, 9:15 pm
Made these today for Father's Day.

RUB: Brown sugar, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder
SAUCE: 1TBL butter, 1TBL worchestershire, salt, 1/2c ketchup, 1c honey bbq sauce
--------------
-Preheat oven to 220. Put rub on ribs and work into the meat. Make sure to evenly cover ribs with rub.
-Wrap tightly in foil, place ribs on baking sheet. Pour about 1/4c water on baking pan to help steam (make sure after 1hr, add more water as some will have evaporated)
-Cook like this for a total of 2 hours. Then, unwrap the tinfoil enough that its still surrounding the ribs, but loosely.
-Prepare the sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter. Add worchestshire, salt, ketchup, bbq. Low heat, cook until even combined and a smooth liquid.
-Even spread sauce on the ribs. Each hour, spread more sauce (not a shit load, enough to give it some flavor. Don't cake it on, will take away the flavor from the meat).
-Cook until 170-180 internal temp.

Total cooking time was 6 hours to reach 170degrees. The shit was AMAZING! My wife, who is the pickiest eater ive honestly ever met, and my son, who doesn't care for meat at all, both loved these ribs. If you're trying to get in contest shape, i'd stay away from this recipe lol.

B.S.
06-17-12, 11:31 pm
hot damn that sounds good

Carlson1
06-18-12, 12:03 am
Wow sounds great! Gonna have to try it. Did ribs once I'm my grill turned our ok. Did you use pork or beef ribs?

MRmichael.hooker
06-18-12, 5:49 am
Wow sounds great! Gonna have to try it. Did ribs once I'm my grill turned our ok. Did you use pork or beef ribs?

These ones were beef. Not my personal favorite cut of ribs, pork usually taste better imo, but my mother-in-law gave us 2 free slabs, so i'll take free lol. They've began buying their meat from a local butcher they found, and he only sells large quantities every 2 weekends, so theyve bought a shitload lol.

C.Coronato
06-18-12, 10:24 am
Looks damn good bro!

MRmichael.hooker
06-18-12, 7:37 pm
Looks damn good bro!

Thanks! You know it's gotta be a decent recipe if Coronato approves lol

B.S.
06-18-12, 10:48 pm
made these tonight only with pork, came out amazing.

MRmichael.hooker
06-19-12, 7:40 pm
made these tonight only with pork, came out amazing.

awesome!! i was literally thinking of different ideas and came up with that recipe, thought itd be good, tried it, and it was lol.

B.S.
06-19-12, 10:47 pm
what kinda ratio did you use in the rub?

MRmichael.hooker
06-20-12, 9:08 am
what kinda ratio did you use in the rub?

IDK, don't measure much when cooking. I'm much more of a "anywhere from a teaspoon to a cup" type of cook lol. I just evenly covered with the b.sugar, then then the salt, then the pepper, and so on. Didn't actually premix it in a bowl, just evenly spread it all. I didn't use AS much of the onion & garlic powder because I didn't want those flavors taking over

World Eater
06-20-12, 11:40 am
I always feel lame asking this... But I assume that's 220F, not 220C you preheat the oven to?

MRmichael.hooker
06-20-12, 11:44 am
I always feel lame asking this... But I assume that's 220F, not 220C you preheat the oven to?

don't feel lame bro, and that's correct. 220F

World Eater
06-20-12, 3:23 pm
don't feel lame bro, and that's correct. 220F
Figures, was reading and thought "internal temperature 170? I'd set my oven on fire!" haha.
Thanks, def. gonna try this out... Sounds like a good summer recipe combined a fresh salad and strawberries for dinner!

Bruiser
06-20-12, 3:35 pm
Hey Hook, try country style pork ribs. It's a different cut and they're about 2 inches thick and are almost like little roasts. I can find em cheap around here for around $1.50-2.00 lb. They're amazing and you don't need to cook them as long as normal ribs because they are more a more tender cut, but taste the same.

Your recipe does look awesome! Also for indoor BBQ, try adding a 1/2 cup strong black coffee or espresso to your sauce. Really gives a great earthy flavor and adds a nice smokiness which is great when you're doing them in an oven.

Giant Killer
06-22-12, 3:10 pm
Picked up some nice grass fed short ribs at the market the other day that are screaming for this kind of treatment.

Thanks for sharing

MRmichael.hooker
06-28-12, 3:14 pm
Picked up some nice grass fed short ribs at the market the other day that are screaming for this kind of treatment.

Thanks for sharing

you make em yet?