PDA

View Full Version : A New Christmas Story

Christmas
06-23-12, 2:51 am
A year ago, I won Washington's Strongest Apple and took third place in Oregon's Strongest Man by less than 5 points. 4 months ago, A man with a mustache rear-ended me, splitting my car in half, forcing me to have back surgery. I had portions of L2, L3 and L4 removed along with the ruptured parts of the disks. Now, even though the chances of me being able to ever train like I used to, I am excited to get back. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm still very sore, tired and can't do a whole lot and I know it's going to be long, hard and slow but I'm ready. My first goal is by mid July to be able to walk a mile. Also, there is currently no need to be this heavy, so I should probably shed a few lbs.

mcbeast
06-23-12, 4:11 am
Yo Christmas... Sorry to hear about the accident man, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to cope with the pain & what your surgery entailed.. I followed your log on here awhile ago, & I know you got heart, so do what you need to to rehab & soon enough you will be able to pick stuff up and put it down again. I think the weightloss would be very beneficial, and your goal of walking a mile is reasonable.. Look forward to seeing you get better bro, take care..

Ed Eliason
06-23-12, 9:39 am
I'm glad to see you back on here Mr. Christmas. Be Great.

Christmas
06-24-12, 6:59 pm
Thanks guys. For right now, I'm eating 3-4 meals a day and walking roughly 1/4 of a mile spread out over 3 trips a day. I'm also doing some simple core exercises and a few different stretches. It's not a whole lot, but it tires me out and leaves me sore for a few days after.

C.Coronato
06-25-12, 9:51 am
Thats rough to hear my man. But glad to hear you are on the mend. P Diesel, also was a strongman competitor who had serious back surgery. He would be someone good to talk to on here.

Christmas
06-25-12, 3:53 pm
Cool. Thanks, Coronato, I'll have to do that.

Mr. Dead
06-25-12, 3:56 pm
Dang, man... Glad to hear that you're alive... That sucks... Hopefully, you'll be where ya want to be with a quickness...!!!

Christmas
06-26-12, 3:12 pm
Thanks, Mr. Dead. Today, I have planned to try to walk a quarter mile or more in one shot.

Christmas
06-27-12, 1:22 am
I got my walk in today, but when I got back I was in so much pain that I had to medicate and sleep for about 4 hours.

Mr. Dead
06-27-12, 1:29 am
I got my walk in today, but when I got back I was in so much pain that I had to medicate and sleep for about 4 hours.
Focus on the start... You did something... That's forward progress... That's not sitting on a couch saying, "Woe is me..." And that momentum will carry you further forward...

Ed Eliason
06-27-12, 9:43 am
Great job Cyal! It's a start, that is all that matters.

Christmas
06-27-12, 6:55 pm
Thanks guys. Yesterday just made me realize how slow the progress is actually going to be. I did another quarter mile today. I don't hurt as bad as yesterday, but now my legs are twitching like crazy and I can't stop shaking. Progress?

richvanv
06-28-12, 2:52 am
was wondering where you had been, I have not been at Timber Gym very consistantly and haven't seen you in quite some time. I had no idea what happened to you and am very sorry to hear that Cyal, best of luck with the recovery, if you need anything let me know, but uh really let me know. Okay?

Christmas
06-28-12, 8:18 pm
Thanks, Rich! What have you been up to?

Christmas
07-01-12, 8:21 pm
I have still been doing 3 walks a day, 2 of the first short ones and a longer 1/4 mile walk. Today, I wanted to see if I could make 1/2 a mile and suprised myself by going farther. I haven't measured it just yet, but it is somewhere between 3/4 and a mile. I'm sore and tired and kind of hurting but it was worth it. I have also added a few more stretches and exercises. Things are going very well for the situation I am in.

Christmas
07-02-12, 2:18 am
My walk today actually ended up being just shy of 2 miles. No wonder I hurt so much right now...

Kill i oughtta
07-02-12, 3:53 am
My walk today actually ended up being just shy of 2 miles. No wonder I hurt so much right now...

Bro im on this seeing you make a slow and steady comeback is the true definition of inspiration.

Christmas
07-03-12, 7:27 pm
Thanks KILL! Yesterday I totalled over 3 miles in my walks. One was another 2 mile walk, but it had hills so it was much harder. I need to mostly take today off.

Ed Eliason
07-03-12, 7:38 pm
Rest up buddy, you deserve it.

Christmas
07-05-12, 1:05 am
After taking yesterday off, I decided to add a little more to my long trip. I got a 2 and 1/2 in and totalled over 3.5 today. I also added a few more stretches and exercises and more sets of them. The cut had gotten a little infected but that is now on the way out the door and is almost all healed up. Soon I will be able to add water exercises and I'm excited for that and the hot tubs!

Christmas
07-06-12, 12:22 am
Today is one month since the surgery and to celebrate I put real shoes on. Staying bent over like that for an extended period of time was pretty aweful but still glad I did it. I walked a little over 2.5 miles on my big walk and so far have only got one small one in. I'll get it in later tonight.

Christmas
07-08-12, 3:17 am
I took yesterday off because I was hurting bad. Today, I had a 3 mile route marked out, but when I got to the half way point I was still feeling good so I went a lot farther. I don't know exactly how far so I will clock it out tomorrow. Now I'm tired and ouchy again.

Christmas
07-08-12, 6:28 pm
Yesterdays walk ended up being 4 miles. Not to shabby but I hurt a lot today and I'm sore and tired and blah blah blah all of it. I'll take another walk again tonight.

Ed Eliason
07-08-12, 6:56 pm
Nice work Christmas!

Kill i oughtta
07-08-12, 7:00 pm
im liking the progress brotha lookin good.

Christmas
07-13-12, 3:37 am
Thanks, Kills. The last couple of days have been pretty hectic for me. I have become the unofficial caretaker for my legless grandfather, I also have to watch my little sister who was forced to move up here because she was getting in trouble in Utah and the Ole' Ladies little brother who also lives with us because it is easier for him to get football, swimming and play practice. The Ole' Lady has been doing a lot of doubles because I cannot work at the moment so, sadly, everything finacially has fallen on her, so I make sure to take care of all of the house work (yes I am a housewife right now). Then, we have to take care of both of our parents because they have too much on their plates right now and we take on some of their burdens. On top of all of that, my brother and his gal decided to come up on vacation because my uncle is moving to Hawaii so I need to see a lot of them while they are here. With all of this, I have no time for myself. Honestly, after the surgery, I had about half a week or so to really veg out and drug through the pain and then I had to get right back to taking care of everyone else. I feel like after having spinal surgery, I should have a little more me time than an hour or two a night. I put it to good use though with my walks and school.

The last few night, I have been going for 3.5-4 mile walks, and tonight I added on about another half a mile. The leg no longer feels like it is just always asleep and now just hurts, which I am counting as a positive, my hips are feeling a little more relaxed and loose and I can spend a bit more time on my feet than before. Small steps forwards are still steps in the right direction.

Christmas
07-17-12, 1:49 pm
Went on some good walks the last couple of days. Not sure how long they have been, but they are leaving me tired. Yesterday, I went for about a mile long walk on the beach before going for a long one last night. Both pretty tiring. Also, I'm back in physical therapy which is super useless right now. They are actually doing more harm then good at the moment, but we will see after a few weeks.

Christmas
07-18-12, 4:39 am
2 long walks today and I got stalked by an animal of some sorts. Good stuff.

Honey Badger
07-18-12, 7:53 pm
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
No matter what are the obstacles in life. Always look for ways to overcome those obstacles in life that they only are kindle for your internal fire ." Never give up"

Christmas
07-19-12, 3:30 am
Inspiring words, Puentejo. Just another long walk today. Watched a guy have a straight up drug trip of sorts. He was sitting in the Gore Zone of the road yelling at himself as 3 different people.

Christmas
07-21-12, 3:26 pm
Took Thursday off because I was just not going to be able to do anything. Yesterday, I got in a little over a mile walk in and added a lot more exercises in.

Christmas
07-22-12, 12:38 am
4 mile walk today and so far 2 1 mile walks. I will probably go for another one later tonight.

Christmas
07-25-12, 3:17 am
The last few days have been 1 day with a long walk, 1 with a short walk and 1 off. I needed a rest, physical therapy really messed up my left hip so I have to fix that. Today, I went for 5 1 mile walks. I also had a horrible idea to try to add a few more of my own things in like some tri and chest stuff. My back is on fire. Not quite ready for that type of stuff just yet.

Christmas
08-01-12, 12:01 am
Lots of walking recently, change of diet and I am allowed to do a limited selection of light weight movements.

Ed Eliason
08-02-12, 12:17 am
Lots of walking recently, change of diet and I am allowed to do a limited selection of light weight movements.

Sounds like good news!

Christmas
08-03-12, 12:47 am
Some walking today, more to come. Got some really really light lifting in. Curls, front and side delt raises, chest and reverse flies and over head press with the 5 lb blue dumbells. Light and easy, it is what I have to do.

Christmas
08-05-12, 10:03 pm
Friday I went for a few short 1 mile walks. Saturday I hit a 2 mile and a few 1 miles. Today is 2 months since the surgery so I wanted to try something. The old lady and I went for a 4 mile hike today at Quinalt Lake. It was pretty exhausting. Up and down hills all day then we stopped by the lake and had some lunch. I'm sore and drained. However my body is finally getting over the low carb hump. For those first couple of days, my body was absolutely drained but I'm a little better now. Now, I will add more hills!

Christmas
08-07-12, 7:34 pm
The old lady and I went for a hike at Lake Sylvia today. We got about 2 miles in today, and most of it was hills. We would have done more, but the old lady has already had 2 surgeries on her knee and it is starting to go out again and it just got the best of her today so we just called it a day.

Christmas
08-22-12, 9:28 pm
Been a whole since I wrote anything down, but things have been getting better. Hiking at least 4 miles a week and then at least a 1 mile walk everyday day. I am also working out 3-4 times a week, usually just a quick circuit that takes about 20 minutes or so, but sometimes things like a light sled and carrying objects. Slowly getting stronger but it sucks when you realize that no matter how hard you work, there are just some walls you are unable to bust down. It is just going to take time for the back to heal.

Christmas
09-21-12, 3:34 am
Today, I got in to the gym. I didn't do a lot, but I got in. I hope I can force myself to keep going in.

Circuit Training x 3

Machine Chest Press:
115 x 15

Machine Chest Fly:
115 x 15

Machine Reverse Fly:
75 x 15

Machine Side Delt Raise:
60 x 15

Individual

Tri Push-Downs:
4 plates x 3 x 20

It was pretty simple and light but it was more than enough for the first day back.

Seath308
09-21-12, 5:13 am
Today, I got in to the gym. I didn't do a lot, but I got in. I hope I can force myself to keep going in.

Circuit Training x 3

Machine Chest Press:
115 x 15

Machine Chest Fly:
115 x 15

Machine Reverse Fly:
75 x 15

Machine Side Delt Raise:
60 x 15

Individual

Tri Push-Downs:
4 plates x 3 x 20

It was pretty simple and light but it was more than enough for the first day back.

Dear my Super Sexy Crippled friend

I miss you

Glad you are getting in some work!! You should let me know when u go in for a session I would love to see you and catch up!!

Christmas
09-28-12, 1:32 pm
Missed posting the last few workouts. I'm just too busy now-a-days.

Saturday 9/22

Circuit Training X 3 of

Leg Extensions
60 x 15

Leg Curl
70 x 15

Indi Calf Raises
BW x 15 each

Abductor Machine
60 x 15

Adductor Machine
60 x 15

Planks x 1 min.

Tues 9/25

Circuit Training X 3

Overhand Grip Machine Row
45 x 15

Underhand Grip Machine Row
45 x 15

Lat Pull Down
4 plates x 15

Weight Assisted Neutral Grip Pull-Up
1/2 BW x 6

Machine Curl
45 x 15

Thurs. 9/27

Circuit Training X 3

Leg Extension
60 x 15

Leg Curl
85 x 15

Abductors
60 x 15

Adductors
60 x 15

Indi Calf Raises
BW x 15 each

(After Circuit)
Lunges
BW x 3 x 12

Planks
2 x 1 min.

Also, I have been walking at least 1 mile everyday, some days get upwards of 5 miles.

Hollow
09-28-12, 1:52 pm
Also, I have been walking at least 1 mile everyday, some days get upwards of 5 miles.

Outstanding! Workouts look solid Christmas.

Christmas
09-30-12, 1:22 am
Thanks, Hollow. I'm glad to be back in the gym and hope I can get back to a place I'm happy with.

Circuit Training X 3

Machine Chest Press
70 x 20

Machine Fly
70 x 20

Machine Reverse Fly
70 x 20

Machine Side Delt Raise
45 x 20

Individual Training

Tri Push-Down
45 x 3 x 30

My legs are absolutely non-functional after those lunges. It is aweful but I like it.

Ed Eliason
09-30-12, 9:50 am
Nice work Christmas! It was good seeing you yesterday! Quit being a stranger!

Christmas
10-02-12, 12:01 am
Circuit Training X 3

Leg Extension
45 x 20

Leg Curl
70 x 20

Abductors
70 x 20

Adductors
70 x 20

Indi Calv Raises
BW x 20 each

BW Squats
BW x 3 x 20

Christmas
10-04-12, 12:47 am
Circuit Training X 3

Over Hand Grip Machine Row
45 x 20

Under Hand Grip Machine Row
45 x 20

Nuetral Grip Machine Row
45 x 20

Individual Training

Lat Pull Down
4 plates x 3 x 20

Machine Curl
45 x 3 x 20

Getting back into things is slow. I need to start more stretching because even though I had ZERO flexibility to begin with, I have even less now. This morning, I was down 20 lbs since the surgery so that's good. Just over 10 more and I'm back where I was before the wreck.

Hollow
10-04-12, 6:27 am
Getting back into things is slow. I need to start more stretching because even though I had ZERO flexibility to begin with, I have even less now. This morning, I was down 20 lbs since the surgery so that's good. Just over 10 more and I'm back where I was before the wreck.

Nicely done on dropping the weight Christmas!

Christmas
10-05-12, 4:16 pm
Thanks Hollow! Today, was a leg day but I put more time and energy into stretching. So, I did more BW stuff for the workout.

Lunges
BW x 3 x 12

Squats
BW x 3 x 20

Step-Ups to High Knees
BW x Big Box x Til I could barely get my legs up.

Very tired, but it was good.

Ed Eliason
10-05-12, 7:31 pm
Looking good Cyal! You'll be back before you know it!

Christmas
10-07-12, 5:01 pm
Thanks, Ed!

Circuit Training X 3

Machine Chest Press
70 x 20

Machine Chest Fly
70 x 20

Machine Reverse Fly
70 x 20

Machine Side Delt
45 x 20

Indi

Tri Push-Downs
4 plates x 3 x 40

Pretty tiring but slowly getting easier. My legs are still sore from friday.

Christmas
10-09-12, 11:36 pm
Decided I didn't want to hurt for 5 days straight so left out the lunges.

Curcuit X 3

Abductors
70 x 20

Adductors
70 x 20

Machine Leg Extensions
60 x 20

Machine Leg Curls
70 x 20

Christmas
10-13-12, 1:31 am
Circuit Training X 3

Lat Pull-Downs
4 plates x 30

Machine OG Rows
60 x 20

Machine UG Rows
60 x 20

Machine NG Rows
60 x 20

Indi

Alt Dumbell Curls
15 x 60 x 30

Christmas
10-14-12, 7:38 pm
Easy, walking up a hill then BW Lunges x 3 x 20.

Ed Eliason
10-14-12, 8:59 pm
Gotta love those Hawks!

Christmas
11-01-12, 2:20 am
A lot of traveling in a weeks span and it killed my back so I took some time to recover.

Machine Chest Press:
115 x 3 x 30

Machine Reverse Fly:
90 x 3 x 20

Tri Press-Down:
4 Plates x 3 x 30

Christmas
11-03-12, 2:03 am
Sore

Leg Extension Machine
60 x 3 x 30

Leg Curl Machine
85 x 3 x 30

Single Leg Calf Raise
Bw x 3 x 10 each

Christmas
11-04-12, 11:11 pm
Lat Pull-Downs
5 plates x 3 x 30

Dumbell Curl
15s x 3 x 25

Easy day

Christmas
11-10-12, 2:26 am
Had to take a couple days off. Not sure if it's the changing weather or the healing proccess or if I just messed something up again but I have been in a lot of pain the last few days. It is still there but I am used to it enough to work out again. Back has been hurting and the leg that was all messed up has a crazy pressurized feeling to it.

BW Squats
10 x 10

BW Lunges
5 x 20

It only took about 15 minutes to do that. I Worked out with Bill Carpenter tonight, first time in a long time.

Christmas
11-13-12, 4:05 pm
Yesterdays workout. A little sad at how weak my upperbody has become.

BW Push-Ups
5 x 10, 1 x 6

Machine Reverse Fly
90 x 3 x 20

Tri Push-Down
4 plates x 3 x 30

Yeah.

Christmas
11-15-12, 12:37 am
My recovery time is absolute crap right now. Still sore in my legs and my chest, tris and shoulders are super sore now. Easy day

Superset
Leg Curls
60 x 3 x 15

with
Leg Extensions
45 x 3 x 15

I have been doing more cardio and a lot of stretching.

Christmas
11-29-12, 2:06 am
Slowly getting back in again.

Push-ups
BW x 5 x 10

Reverse Fly
85 x 5 x 10

Christmas
12-02-12, 3:04 am
Squats
BW x 3 x 20

Lunges
BW x 3 x 20

This was fridays workout. A little sore today.