PDA

View Full Version : Cardio on off days while bulking

ThatLittleMonster
06-26-12, 4:36 am
I used to run 50+ miles a week when i was 190 pure fat at 5'4, just to lose the weight before i started lifting in JAN, got down to that 145 and now at 164 (now that i have been bulking its amazing) i go hard with my 4 on 2 off routine. Now while bulking forever and until i do a comp next year, should i add a cardio day or two on my off days? or will that hurt me in the bulking stage? or the recovery stage? i dont want to lose weight by any means 190 or bust by winter is the goal. Should i stick to my routine with no cardio, or add a cardio day a week. any idea animal brothers? thank you.

awayoflife
06-26-12, 8:27 am
Most people recommend doing low intensity cardio for about 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week while bulking.
It will help your cardiovascular system (keep your heart healthy), keep unwanted fat at bay and flush out the waste products of training.
But some guys do no cardio at all it depends on your metabolism and diet but I keep cardio in just for the reasons mentioned above and if I see that I’m not gaining enough weight I up my calories.
Hope this helps brother!

Aggression
06-26-12, 8:35 am
Take it from someone who didn't do cardio during bulks; DO SOME CARDIO. A few sessions per week would be fine; 2-3 at about 20-30min. And remember, 'cardio' doesn't have to be drudging on a treadmill for 30min. Take a walk outside, hit the pool, swim in the ocean, ride a bike, play basketball, etc.

IronWilson
06-27-12, 2:10 am
Doing cardio on off-days will help fend off injuries and fats. Highly recommend it.

Joe J
06-27-12, 6:44 am
Without question do cardio on your off days when gaining some size.

GUNS
06-27-12, 7:27 am
One extra tidbit, it will aid in recovery, espescially in the legs. Active recovery!

C.Coronato
06-27-12, 9:53 am
When im bulking I dont like to stick to strictly off days as I personally like a full day of rest, so ill generally do 2-3 days of cardio on training days.

Rambo Moe
06-29-12, 1:37 pm
Typically 2-3 cardio days a week when bulking, doesnt matter when you get them in but you deffinetly should fit them in somewhere. Only day I wouldnt do cardio is after leg training, but if your going hard enough you shouldnt be able to anyway.

braves561
06-29-12, 4:24 pm
When im bulking I dont like to stick to strictly off days as I personally like a full day of rest, so ill generally do 2-3 days of cardio on training days.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hiit especially destroys the CNS, doing that on your off days will give you essentially no days off to recover.

ThatLittleMonster
06-30-12, 12:08 am
I can fit them in on workout days, but being in nursing, i work 11 and 13 hour shifts where i am on my feet the WHOLE TIME, will that be playing any effect on it. or does it have to be more fast paced ?

Kill i oughtta
06-30-12, 12:15 am
C. said it best rest days are exactly that REST.