PDA

View Full Version : Adding Nitro - Anabolic Diet

krichael317
06-26-12, 1:14 pm
I am adding Nitro to my peri-workout nutrition, actually replacing a high leucine BCAA powder with it. I eat per the Anabolic Diet, have been for some time now, so I am adapted. The latest rev of that book (Anabolic Solution) states that one can take up to 100g of carbs during the weekdays after the initial month of staying steady at 30g per day...so I am not afraid to take in carbs around training (as a matter of fact, I have done this before using chocolate milk on AD and didn't have a problem continuing to lose fat and gaining strength).

My goals are to gain strength at the lowest calorie intake I can manage (would still like to drop fat, Im at 20% now, but I don't care about rate).

I work out first thing in the AM and don't have time for a solid meal prep + digestion, so I train in a somewhat "fasted" state.

My current peri-training nutrition is
Pre: Rage, Pump, Stak;
Intra: Whey Protein Isolate (which contains BCAAs);

I base this mainly on the Anabolic Diet supplement plan in the latest rev.

The directions on the can of Nitro say to take pre- and post- with quick acting carbs. So I am wondering what is the best way to take this in light of my situation. Here are the options I've considered:

A) Straight swap out of Nitro for the BCAA powder, keep everything else the same
B) Drop the Whey Isolate Intra and follow the directions on the Nitro can, including the addition of 35g pre and 35g carbs training with the Nitro.
C) Swap out the BCAA with the Nitro+carb post-training, keep everything else the same

I know I could experiment with this, but was curious about what the more experienced members think would be the best starting point, including D) Your own suggestion.

Thanks for your time, Brothers.

Kill i oughtta
06-29-12, 7:39 pm
i think you oughtta just play around with it brotha see what works best for you ya never know till you try.

krichael317
06-29-12, 8:31 pm
i think you oughtta just play around with it brotha see what works best for you ya never know till you try.

Yeah, I'm starting with A for the next month and see how it goes. I just got them this past week. Then I'll go down the list and try other approaches to see if I notice any differences.

Kill i oughtta
06-29-12, 8:39 pm
that sounds like a good way to go about it man post how it goes

C.Coronato
07-02-12, 3:23 pm
You can swap out the BCAA for the Nitro, that is fine as Nitro contains BCAAs. You still want protein and fast carbs post workout tho, what are you doing for that?

krichael317
07-03-12, 11:07 am
You can swap out the BCAA for the Nitro, that is fine as Nitro contains BCAAs. You still want protein and fast carbs post workout tho, what are you doing for that?

Immediately post-workout is nitro, then an hour or so later I have a protein shake I make with whey protein isolate, egg protein and miscellar casein. The carbs in that are incidental, only like 5g.

I bought some carb powder (glucose polymers & fructose mix) with my nitro, but not sure if its better to have that pre, post or both w/ the nitro.

I had been following the anabolic diet peri workout protocol up to now, but using animal products:

Pre: Rage/pump
Intra: whey protein isolate (3g of incidental carb)
Post post: low carb protein shake (5g incidental carb)

Joe J
07-04-12, 11:15 am
Immediately post-workout is nitro, then an hour or so later I have a protein shake I make with whey protein isolate, egg protein and miscellar casein. The carbs in that are incidental, only like 5g.

I bought some carb powder (glucose polymers & fructose mix) with my nitro, but not sure if its better to have that pre, post or both w/ the nitro.

I had been following the anabolic diet peri workout protocol up to now, but using animal products:

Pre: Rage/pump
Intra: whey protein isolate (3g of incidental carb)
Post post: low carb protein shake (5g incidental carb)

If I understand correctly, the anabolic diet involved you having training days where you don't eat carbs at all? If I am wrong, put your simple carb intake where you have your low carb protein shake.

krichael317
07-04-12, 3:24 pm
If I understand correctly, the anabolic diet involved you having training days where you don't eat carbs at all? If I am wrong, put your simple carb intake where you have your low carb protein shake.

Yes, typically the training is done on the low carb days. The original Anabolic Diet book described a strict approach where there were 30g or less of carb ingested daily, and those were the training days during the week. The latest version of the Anabolic DIet (Anabolic Solution for Bodybuilders/Powerlifters) recommends this strict approach only for the first couple of weeks to become fat adapted, then a period where you can add daily carbs up to 100g on the low carb training days, ultimately finding your lowest necessary carb level for your own optimum energy levels.

I am not having energy level problems, BUT, since nitro usage recommends taking with carbs, I figured I would try it. And if I was going to increase my carbs on the training days, it should be around my training.

So you are suggesting the carbs be taken with the protein shake I have about an hour after training. That is one I hadn't thought about yet.

Joe J
07-04-12, 3:29 pm
Yes, typically the training is done on the low carb days. The original Anabolic Diet book described a strict approach where there were 30g or less of carb ingested daily, and those were the training days during the week. The latest version of the Anabolic DIet (Anabolic Solution for Bodybuilders/Powerlifters) recommends this strict approach only for the first couple of weeks to become fat adapted, then a period where you can add daily carbs up to 100g on the low carb training days, ultimately finding your lowest necessary carb level for your own optimum energy levels.

I am not having energy level problems, BUT, since nitro usage recommends taking with carbs, I figured I would try it. And if I was going to increase my carbs on the training days, it should be around my training.

So you are suggesting the carbs be taken with the protein shake I have about an hour after training. That is one I hadn't thought about yet.

What I will say is that if you are going to ingest simple carbs PWO I was under the impression it was to be done instantly after training. This is what I do, and I take my aminos intra-workout, so I have no idea how to map it out when using Nitro to be honest mate.

awayoflife
07-05-12, 3:34 am
When I was taking Animal Nitro I always used a simple sugar source (OJ, grape juice, apple juice, whatever) and now I use Atomic 7 postWO and I mix a scoop with 300ml of apple juice and love the mix! If I feel I need more carbs I add another 100ml of apple juice or if I feel I need more liquids I just add water. And apple juice has about 10g of carbs / 100ml.