PDA

View Full Version : Post workout high glycemic carbs

benfica6912
06-29-12, 3:17 am
Hello guys. Iīd like to ask you a question please. For those who canīt buy waxy maize as a post workout carb, can i use maizena http://www.maizena.pt/ (Portuguese product)? itīs corn starch, but not as pure as waxy maize. It's 80% amylopectin (waxy maize is amilipectin 100%). Do you think it 's a good alternative (i want to gain weight and my body fat is very low, so i think That will not be a problem), or Should I use a banana?

2š Just for the record..Which carbs has a higher glicemic index? waxy maize/maizena or banana?

Thanks!

Joe J
06-29-12, 12:10 pm
Hello guys. Iīd like to ask you a question please. For those who canīt buy waxy maize as a post workout carb, can i use maizena http://www.maizena.pt/ (Portuguese product)? itīs corn starch, but not as pure as waxy maize. It's 80% amylopectin (waxy maize is amilipectin 100%). Do you think it 's a good alternative (i want to gain weight and my body fat is very low, so i think That will not be a problem), or Should I use a banana?

2š Just for the record..Which carbs has a higher glicemic index? waxy maize/maizena or banana?

Thanks!

That stuff looks alright. Why can't you buy waxy maize? Is it the price? Dextrose is a much cheaper alternative where I'm from.

benfica6912
06-29-12, 1:20 pm
That stuff looks alright. Why can't you buy waxy maize? Is it the price? Dextrose is a much cheaper alternative where I'm from.

Ok. Thanks a lot. But, if i use maizena itīs ok right? or is banana better?

Joe J
06-29-12, 1:43 pm
Ok. Thanks a lot. But, if i use maizena itīs ok right? or is banana better?

From my extremely limited of maizena I would pick that over a banana due to it's increased simple carb content when put up next to a banana. Plus it is more efficient to measure macros. I for one can't see myself weighing out bananas after training.

benfica6912
06-29-12, 2:12 pm
From my extremely limited of maizena I would pick that over a banana due to it's increased simple carb content when put up next to a banana. Plus it is more efficient to measure macros. I for one can't see myself weighing out bananas after training.

For me thatīs not a problem. I have a lot of maizena here!! Iīm asking because i want to mix with aminoacids, and with maizena into a scoop with water is possible. But with banana canīt mix together.

benfica6912
06-29-12, 9:09 pm
For me thatīs not a problem. I have a lot of maizena here!! Iīm asking because i want to mix with aminoacids, and with maizena into a scoop with water is possible. But with banana canīt mix together.

I think iīll try to eat maizena right after workout to see how i feel. And then i can compare what my body can digest faster: banana or maizena. Or i can even talk to my doctor. What do you think?

Pizzalamp
06-30-12, 11:53 am
forget the powders and dextrose
just eat a meal
and dont be one of those fools that thinks they need tons of carbs post workout-no need to take in over 100 grams of carbs- guranteed if they think theyre slashing fat and gaining muscle-they are just getting skinny or getting fatter

TufffGuY
06-30-12, 12:06 pm
just eat a meal
and dont be one of those fools that thinks they need tons of carbs post workout-no need to take in over 100 grams of carbs- guranteed if they think theyre slashing fat and gaining muscle-they are just getting skinny or getting fatter

If anything all you really need are some amino acids and some creatine if you like to take that then eat a solid meal30 mins later, say perhaps a chicken breast and a couple baked potatoes or some red meat and rice, those are my go to post workout meals.

ChalkyPalms
06-30-12, 1:19 pm
Poptart post workout here

benfica6912
06-30-12, 1:23 pm
just eat a meal

Ok. Thanks for the help. What are you saying is that malto, dextrose, vitargo or waxy maizer arenīt so good. Right?

Wycked
06-30-12, 3:15 pm
just eat a meal

Good advice. Keep it simple. Have some simple sugar too if times are tough

benfica6912
06-30-12, 5:02 pm
Good advice. Keep it simple. Have some simple sugar too if times are tough

Ok. Thanks a lot!

Joe J
07-01-12, 6:45 am
just eat a meal

On my high carb days I have 150g dextrose PWO, what's wrong with that? I think this is bullshit. I'm neither 'getting skinny or getting fatter'.

Pizzalamp
07-02-12, 8:49 pm
On my high carb days I have 150g dextrose PWO, what's wrong with that? I think this is bullshit. I'm neither 'getting skinny or getting fatter'.

haha you defintely don't need to be having 150g of sugar post workout joseph-whats bullshit is the fact that you think your workouts have depleted your body so much that you need that many carbs post workout
i know many olympic athletes and pro bodybuilders that don't even take that much post workout

Joe J
07-02-12, 8:52 pm
haha you defintely don't need to be having 150g of sugar post workout joseph-whats bullshit is the fact that you think your workouts have depleted your body so much that you need that many carbs post workout
i know many olympic athletes and pro bodybuilders that don't even take that much post workout

I understand that this is your view, but what I would like you to do is explain why.

Pizzalamp
07-02-12, 9:08 pm
I understand that this is your view, but what I would like you to do is explain why.

because the workouts you do don't use up 150g of carbs

Kill i oughtta
07-02-12, 10:36 pm
If anything all you really need are some amino acids and some creatine if you like to take that then eat a solid meal30 mins later, say perhaps a chicken breast and a couple baked potatoes or some red meat and rice, those are my go to post workout meals.

very true! not to mention your body is still going to be breaking down and digesting your pre-workout meal so an ass-load of pwo carbs like dextrose or waxymaize whatever isnt an absolute must have.

TufffGuY
07-03-12, 2:14 am
very true! not to mention your body is still going to be breaking down and digesting your pre-workout meal so an ass-load of pwo carbs like dextrose or waxymaize whatever isnt an absolute must have.

I don't take any in at all after a workout cause it bloats me up and If i eat then my bodies fighting to digest both. I take a supp that has some agmatine Leucine Beta Alanine and some Creatine and a few others then meal 20 mins later.

Kill i oughtta
07-03-12, 2:34 am
I don't take any in at all after a workout cause it bloats me up and If i eat then my bodies fighting to digest both. I take a supp that has some agmatine Leucine Beta Alanine and some Creatine and a few others then meal 20 mins later.

exactly and it varys from person to person but theres no specific timeframe after your workout that carbs are going to better it usually takes me anywhere between 30-60 minutes after training before i finally eat a meal.

Joe J
07-03-12, 6:08 am

But surely this is besides the point, as I'm trying to gain weight, and have therefore gradually increased my daily macros to where they are now, and in turn have increased my intake of dextrose to where it is now. Why would I have kept it at a lower number when I am trying to gain weight?

Pizzalamp
07-04-12, 5:52 pm
But surely this is besides the point, as I'm trying to gain weight, and have therefore gradually increased my daily macros to where they are now, and in turn have increased my intake of dextrose to where it is now. Why would I have kept it at a lower number when I am trying to gain weight?

if youre trying to gain weight, why wouldnt you increase the amount of good nutritious food instead of more sugar?

Kill i oughtta
07-04-12, 8:01 pm
if youre trying to gain weight, why wouldnt you increase the amount of good nutritious food instead of more sugar?

valid point.

TufffGuY
07-04-12, 8:02 pm

The only thing your going to accomplish eating 150 g sugar after every workout is Diabetes, you are clearly taking too much and I would take no more than 50g if even that. Some white rice or a baked potato in my opinion would be a better idea.

Kill i oughtta
07-04-12, 8:25 pm
The only thing your going to accomplish eating 150 g sugar after every workout is Diabetes, you are clearly taking too much and I would take no more than 50g if even that. Some white rice or a baked potato in my opinion would be a better idea.

my favorite is a couple baked russet potatoes =]

TufffGuY
07-04-12, 10:17 pm
my favorite is a couple baked russet potatoes =]

I'm a potato nut, love em. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Sweet Potatoes too. although I NEVER eat french fries from places but thats prob understood lol

Kill i oughtta
07-04-12, 10:41 pm
I'm a potato nut, love em. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Sweet Potatoes too. although I NEVER eat french fries from places but thats prob understood lol

lol hell yeah man im eating em for the 3rd time today in about an hour i a sweetpotatoe/salmon mas up a few hours ago potaoes have gotta be my favorite carb source next to oatmeal.

TufffGuY
07-04-12, 11:29 pm
lol hell yeah man im eating em for the 3rd time today in about an hour i a sweetpotatoe/salmon mas up a few hours ago potaoes have gotta be my favorite carb source next to oatmeal.

When I'm bulking if i can afford it Ill have steak and two potatoes cooked all kinds of diff ways every other night. If not steak I get some free range organic beef(more omega 6's) and boil out the fat with some oil and have some burgers with taters. Yummmm.

Kill i oughtta
07-04-12, 11:37 pm
When I'm bulking if i can afford it Ill have steak and two potatoes cooked all kinds of diff ways every other night. If not steak I get some free range organic beef(more omega 6's) and boil out the fat with some oil and have some burgers with taters. Yummmm.

damn that sounds good im got some good ole grilled chicken and baked russets haeded my way as we speak gotta go season them to perfection i love my food i dont even need to cheat on my diet.

blueIMlifter
07-05-12, 7:29 pm
just eat a meal

First off, this is not an attack at Pizzalamp. Just some of what you have said goes completely against what the science would suggest. In fact, I have been consuming massive quantities of high GI carbs intra and post workout during CUT and am currently down 30lbs. The major advantage here are the anabolic effects, I have essentially lost no muscle during this cut phase over the last 4 months. Science dictates that this is the clear path to the best way to recover following weight training or other strenuous physical activity.

In fact, the science suggests even more than the 150g that "Joe" was consuming.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107010
"The optimal rate of carbohydrate ingested immediately after a training session should be 1.2 g/kg/hour at 30-minute intervals for 4 hours and the carbohydrate should be of high glycaemic index"

***Also notice they recommend a high GI carb source during this time. This is why consuming a sugary drink is beneficial (and most practical way to consume large quantities of CHO)

This summary lays it out a tad better considering consuming the amounts they are suggesting every 30 minutes is basically impossible from a practical standpoint.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21116024

And just another to throw in to reinforce the idea...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11897899