PDA

View Full Version : When squatting...............

DEADn
07-06-12, 10:25 pm
When squatting how much do you focus on your form in getting below parallel vs. just going down and getting the weight up especially if it is a lot of weight?

Do you keep on repping it out if you feeling something pull or pop in your legs while squatting and worry about what happens later or do you stop and work on that issue?

I am finding squats increasingly harder to do and I know it is because, like deadlifts, taxes the body to the max. Yet, my biggest problem with squats is going below parallel. I don't weightlift for competition but that doesn't mean I want to squat to parallel either. I found the heavier I go the less my body wants to go below parallel and the more I find my system wants to just get reps out for the sake of reps. As a result I sort of started my squatting over tonight. I intended to do 5 sets of 10 with 200lbs. I ended up only doing 1 sets of it after warm ups because I felt my hams pulling hard on me when I began my 2nd set. I stretched before I lift as well. Anyone ever experienced this and how did you handle it?

TufffGuY
07-07-12, 1:28 am
Use the Search button under Training, there are millions of thread sand videos on how to squat. Please try to not to take space on the thread without first searching and finding your answer there.

Thank you.

scouse
07-07-12, 6:22 am
When squatting how much do you focus on your form in getting below parallel vs. just going down and getting the weight up especially if it is a lot of weight?

I lower the weight if I cant get down deep enough,if you cant go deep then you will get more out of the lift by lowering it slightly.

pull,as in pulled muscle ? I would stop if I pulled a muscle,working through stuff like that is a sure way to injure your self even more.

[QUOTE=DEADn;1241188]I am finding squats increasingly harder to do and I know it is because, like deadlifts, taxes the body to the max. Yet, my biggest problem with squats is going below parallel. I don't weightlift for competition but that doesn't mean I want to squat to parallel either. I found the heavier I go the less my body wants to go below parallel and the more I find my system wants to just get reps out for the sake of reps. As a result I sort of started my squatting over tonight. I intended to do 5 sets of 10 with 200lbs. I ended up only doing 1 sets of it after warm ups because I felt my hams pulling hard on me when I began my 2nd set. I stretched before I lift as well. Anyone ever experienced this and how did you handle it?

5x10 wont help you. try 3x5 but lower your 5rep max by about 10-15% then work back up slowly adding small increments of say 2.5kg or less.

Ive had a similar problem with my I.T band,went to squat and as I was squatting it just felt tighter and tighter before it started to hurt,I just stopped for that day,got a hot bath and stretch it all week as much as I could,also rubbed in some deep heat or tiger balm and also kept self massaged it.

what are you currently squatting ? whats your program ?

DEADn
07-07-12, 7:43 am
I lower the weight if I cant get down deep enough,if you cant go deep then you will get more out of the lift by lowering it slightly.

pull,as in pulled muscle ? I would stop if I pulled a muscle,working through stuff like that is a sure way to injure your self even more.

5x10 wont help you. try 3x5 but lower your 5rep max by about 10-15% then work back up slowly adding small increments of say 2.5kg or less.

Ive had a similar problem with my I.T band,went to squat and as I was squatting it just felt tighter and tighter before it started to hurt,I just stopped for that day,got a hot bath and stretch it all week as much as I could,also rubbed in some deep heat or tiger balm and also kept self massaged it.

what are you currently squatting ? whats your program ?

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?38337-Journey-to-my-Maximum

This is my routine thought lately I have been choppy with posting much.
I am doing the 5/3/1 because I am wanting to work on strength but as time goes by my routine seems to mutate a bit. Before I did this I was playing with rest pause training but I noticed that some of my exercises I did not have good form so I decided to work on strength training and work on my form, especially with squats.

Bruiser
07-07-12, 8:08 am
Use the Search button under Training, there are millions of thread sand videos on how to squat. Please try to not to take space on the thread without first searching and finding your answer there.

Thank you.

Thank you. Not to mention he could've combined this with the deadlift thread he started within minutes of this one. Please use the search function as well as using FORVM space appropriately.

TufffGuY
07-07-12, 6:40 pm
Thank you. Not to mention he could've combined this with the deadlift thread he started within minutes of this one. Please use the search function as well as using FORVM space appropriately.

I do beleive we need to put a new rule in place if you start more than one thrad a day you get suspended for some time, this woud help cut down on useless space and keep the forum in order and not have it junked up by kids who just want attention.

DEADn
07-07-12, 8:37 pm
Seems to me that my posting here has ruffled some feathers. Just close it down then if it is really taking up needless space. I will take my questions elsewhere....... This includes the deadlifting post. I made separate posts because I wanted some conversation on both of them and if I put them in the same post I figured that one of them would over rule the other.

Just close the whole thread down and make space for someone else.......

Giant Killer
07-08-12, 12:48 am
I squat below parallel always with box squats. When I go heavy I always make sure to break parallel and I always know where that is because I am familiar with the depth from a box below parallel. If I can't break parallel with a weight I wouldn't count it as a lift, I'm trying to exercise maximum muscle fibers and the ego boost means nothing to me. As people go heavier sometimes they rush it and get higher and higher with their squats, just reject your ego and do them with proper form always and you will not have any problems.

I personally would never continue a squat if I felt something was wrong with my body or my form. You only get this one body and surgeries are a real bitch. An adjustment in form or a progressive warmup should help, a mirror or videotaping for critique by at least yourself or even others can as well.

If I am remembering correctly stretching before you lift has been found to decrease your strength and not necessarily avoid injury, slow progressive warmups should suffice IMHO. I don't waste a great deal of energy on warmups either, I'm not going to failure with a warmup ever, I want the maximum effect from my working sets.

Kill i oughtta
07-08-12, 12:55 am
=/

PORTERHOUSE
07-08-12, 11:53 am
Seems to me that my posting here has ruffled some feathers. Just close it down then if it is really taking up needless space. I will take my questions elsewhere....... This includes the deadlifting post. I made separate posts because I wanted some conversation on both of them and if I put them in the same post I figured that one of them would over rule the other.

Don't worry about it man, there's already people here that can regulate these kinds of things if they want, if it's a big deal, they will move your thread, it happens all the time. You're fine.

If you really wanted to, you could say for the majority of new threads around here... but if we shoot them all down, this place will just slow down even more.

Bruiser
07-08-12, 12:07 pm

My comments were not made to piss you off bud. There's just been a lot of friction on here regarding monotonous threads and people starting threads about things that already have numerous existing threads on the subjects. I was just trying to offer some advice. I understand your reasoning for splitting the two threads up, but I think you'd have gotten better answers if they were in one thread. People don't wanna have to read two threads if they can answer them in one. Take care.

MRmichael.hooker
07-08-12, 12:09 pm
I do beleive we need to put a new rule in place if you start more than one thrad a day you get suspended for some time, this woud help cut down on useless space and keep the forum in order and not have it junked up by kids who just want attention.

I disagree with this, respectfully. Say if I go 6 months without any new threads, and I just happend to have 2 good ?s that fall on the same day? I deserve to be suspended? People need to just start searching and doing some research before posting questions, to make sure if it's been posted or not before. Doesnt mean they are just looking for attention.

DEADn
07-08-12, 12:10 pm
I squat below parallel always with box squats. When I go heavy I always make sure to break parallel and I always know where that is because I am familiar with the depth from a box below parallel. If I can't break parallel with a weight I wouldn't count it as a lift, I'm trying to exercise maximum muscle fibers and the ego boost means nothing to me. As people go heavier sometimes they rush it and get higher and higher with their squats, just reject your ego and do them with proper form always and you will not have any problems.

I personally would never continue a squat if I felt something was wrong with my body or my form. You only get this one body and surgeries are a real bitch. An adjustment in form or a progressive warmup should help, a mirror or videotaping for critique by at least yourself or even others can as well.

If I am remembering correctly stretching before you lift has been found to decrease your strength and not necessarily avoid injury, slow progressive warmups should suffice IMHO. I don't waste a great deal of energy on warmups either, I'm not going to failure with a warmup ever, I want the maximum effect from my working sets.

I hear you on this. I have recorded myself doing the squats and I had to redo myself a bit because I found I was barely hitting parallel. It made me angry and I was sorely disappointed. As a consequence I think I unknowingly pushed away from squats because of that anger.

So, I decided that I really needed to get back to the squats and I thought if I did 200lbs for 5 x 10 it would give me a foundation to start with but I found that was too much too soon because of my hams. They are still a bit sore. What I should have done was maybe 5 x 5 or 5 x 3 or something along those lines. I was doing the 5/3/1 method but with my legs I have been mutating away from it which is essentially my fault.

I also have along legs which may be a bit of a problem when it comes to squats and hitting that below parallel threshold but I still want to hit it regardless because of the strength factor.

I do my squats in a half rack and not free style for my own safety

MRmichael.hooker
07-08-12, 12:17 pm
If I am remembering correctly stretching before you lift has been found to decrease your strength and not necessarily avoid injury, slow progressive warmups should suffice IMHO. .

This is very true. The stretching takes away from the natural tension on the muscles needed to explode up. Stretching cold muscles anyway are a good way to actually cause an injury by causing tiny micro-tears in the fibers

I don't waste a great deal of energy on warmups either, I'm not going to failure with a warmup ever, I want the maximum effect from my working sets.

For legs, my warmups usually consist of 5-10mins on the bike, and then some light leg extn & leg curls, and usually 2 sets of 135lb squats for like 6 or 8 reps, just to loosen up some. Nothing big, takes about 15mins and im always good to go & feel good.

Big Wides
07-09-12, 7:17 am

Do you keep on repping it out if you feeling something pull or pop in your legs while squatting and worry about what happens later or do you stop and work on that issue?

I am finding squats increasingly harder to do and I know it is because, like deadlifts, taxes the body to the max. Yet, my biggest problem with squats is going below parallel. I don't weightlift for competition but that doesn't mean I want to squat to parallel either. I found the heavier I go the less my body wants to go below parallel and the more I find my system wants to just get reps out for the sake of reps. As a result I sort of started my squatting over tonight. I intended to do 5 sets of 10 with 200lbs. I ended up only doing 1 sets of it after warm ups because I felt my hams pulling hard on me when I began my 2nd set. I stretched before I lift as well. Anyone ever experienced this and how did you handle it?

how far apart are your deadlift days and squat days? There should be at least 72 hours between them. Also stretch out your lower back and lower body, it will help with the tight hamstrings and a 5 minute cardio warm-up will help you too

MRmichael.hooker
07-09-12, 7:19 am
and a 5 minute cardio warm-up will help you too

This has been a huge help for me. I've always done it on leg day, but now doing it before deads too. I've noticed a big difference

Appollonian
07-09-12, 8:18 am
I disagree with this, respectfully. Say if I go 6 months without any new threads, and I just happend to have 2 good ?s that fall on the same day? I deserve to be suspended? People need to just start searching and doing some research before posting questions, to make sure if it's been posted or not before. Doesnt mean they are just looking for attention.

I agree with Michael 100%. The OP has less than 500 posts in about 5 years. And maybe he could've found the answer to his question in another thread, maybe a Watchman could be notified and this could whole thread could be moved there, instead.