PDA

View Full Version : Best full body 3x week program?

braves561
07-22-12, 1:57 pm
Tired of training 5-6 days a week. I want to go back to a full body 3x week split. Any recommendations?

World Eater
07-22-12, 2:57 pm
There IS no "best" option as we're all humans and different, not a bunch of equal machines.
Routines depends on your goals, preference, whatever... Jim Wendler has a 5/3/1 beginner 3-day program up somewhere, you can find it on Google. There's a 3-day full body routine up on the Animal site as well. Assuming you're experienced enough you can easily turn a "beginner" split into something more advanced by changing some exercises and upping intensity or volume.

spartan300
07-22-12, 3:56 pm
Tired of training 5-6 days a week. I want to go back to a full body 3x week split. Any recommendations?

Reg Park or Steve Reeves good place to start.

C.Coronato
07-23-12, 12:09 pm
Are you looking to run a full body split 3x a week? Or something like this:

Monday - Chest/Shoulders
Wednesday - Back/Arms
Friday - Legs

braves561
07-24-12, 12:18 pm
Are you looking to run a full body split 3x a week? Or something like this:

Monday - Chest/Shoulders
Wednesday - Back/Arms
Friday - Legs

Anything really. I've been running myself into the ground doing:

Day 1: Chest/Tri
Day 2: Back/Bi
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: OFF
Day 6: Repeat

I do abs about 3-4 days a week as well.

C.Coronato
07-24-12, 12:20 pm
Understandable for sure man, we could all use change once and a while. Give what I listed above a shot, and see how you do!

braves561
07-24-12, 12:29 pm
Understandable for sure man, we could all use change once and a while. Give what I listed above a shot, and see how you do!

Should I do the same exercise I normally do? Or should I drop some of them besides legs since it will be given a full day? Normally I do the following exercises:

legs

usually 3 x 10-12 of everything, i superset a lot of stuff together like the leg presses.

leg press - flared wide power
leg press - tucked tensions 3-0-3
shoulder width squat power
db lunges
sldl
lying leg curl
standing calf raise

chest/tri's

2 sets of 10-12 working sets after warmup of the power exercises onlyon flat, rest of the tension/power bench presses get 1 set following the tempo listed, rest of the exercises get 3x10-12

flat db press PoWEr
20 degree db incline POWER 1-0-1 tempo
30 degree db incline TENSION 2-.5-3 tempo
db standing cable fly to shoulder length
db pullover
overhead v bar triceps extension
v bar pressdown

back/bi's

3x10-12 on everything

pull up
underhand pulldown
neutral grip seated cable row
barbell row
cg pulldown
weighted back extension
db cable row
bb curl

shoulders

3x10-12 of each, everything is paired with another exercise for supersets

cable x's from bottom position 2-.5-3 tempo
db rear delt row elbow back
50 degree db shoulder press Power 1-0-1 tempo
wide grip upright row
db front raises
db side raises 11/1 oclock
bb shrug

Solid Dreams
07-24-12, 12:35 pm
There was a colorado experiment that had some guy doing 3 workouts per week, doing:

Leg press × 20 reps
Leg extension × 20 reps
Squats × 20 reps (increase weight 20 lbs once you hit 20, then work back up to 20)
(Two-minute rest)
Leg curl × 12 reps
Calf raises 3 × 15
Behind-neck pull-down × 10
Row × 10
Behind-neck pull-down × 10
(Two-minute rest)
Lateral raise × 8
Press behind-the-neck × 10
(Two-minute rest)
Curl × 8
Underhand chin plus weight for reps
(Two-minute rest)
Tricep extension × 22
Dips × 22

You should look it up. The guy dieted down a lot (and I suspect there was some roid use) but he supposedly gained 63 lbs of muscle and lost 17 lbs of bf.

spartan300
07-24-12, 6:59 pm
Casey v! The youngest mr.a

there was a colorado experiment that had some guy doing 3 workouts per week, doing:

Leg press × 20 reps
leg extension × 20 reps
squats × 20 reps (increase weight 20 lbs once you hit 20, then work back up to 20)
(two-minute rest)
leg curl × 12 reps
calf raises 3 × 15
behind-neck pull-down × 10
row × 10
behind-neck pull-down × 10
(two-minute rest)
lateral raise × 8
press behind-the-neck × 10
(two-minute rest)
curl × 8
underhand chin plus weight for reps
(two-minute rest)
tricep extension × 22
dips × 22

you should look it up. The guy dieted down a lot (and i suspect there was some roid use) but he supposedly gained 63 lbs of muscle and lost 17 lbs of bf.

mcbeast
07-24-12, 8:19 pm
Casey Viator.. Swore by HIT.

Braves, I would not suggest it for you.. Stick to the basics. Also, get rid of shit like power, tempo, speed, flared, tucked etc. You are severely overthinking things. This is also like the 6th program change in just a matter of months, not to be a dick but you are still a begginer in this game. Get under the bar, and squat. Then get your pressing in. Then, get over a bar and pull it. Stick to these basic movements 3-4 days a week, throw in some cardio (whatever kind you choose ) and eat a healthy diet. This will get you places. Don't worry about ratios, macros and all that shit, you are not a pro bodybuilder gettin ready to step on stage. Have a sandwich, eat fruit, cave in every once in a while and go to restaraunt. Don't fear carbs. Drink milk cause you like the taste. Eat chocolate postworkout. Who cares? You can still make gains and enjoy life. Its getting old seeing your posts always asking the same thing in a different manner. Then not even following advice given to you. So here it is, follow the advice I gave you. Then if you have not made any gains 3-4 months from now post a thread and we can critique your diet, routine etc.

braves561
07-24-12, 9:03 pm
Casey Viator.. Swore by HIT.

Braves, I would not suggest it for you.. Stick to the basics. Also, get rid of shit like power, tempo, speed, flared, tucked etc. You are severely overthinking things. This is also like the 6th program change in just a matter of months, not to be a dick but you are still a begginer in this game. Get under the bar, and squat. Then get your pressing in. Then, get over a bar and pull it. Stick to these basic movements 3-4 days a week, throw in some cardio (whatever kind you choose ) and eat a healthy diet. This will get you places. Don't worry about ratios, macros and all that shit, you are not a pro bodybuilder gettin ready to step on stage. Have a sandwich, eat fruit, cave in every once in a while and go to restaraunt. Don't fear carbs. Drink milk cause you like the taste. Eat chocolate postworkout. Who cares? You can still make gains and enjoy life. Its getting old seeing your posts always asking the same thing in a different manner. Then not even following advice given to you. So here it is, follow the advice I gave you. Then if you have not made any gains 3-4 months from now post a thread and we can critique your diet, routine etc.

I actually haven't switched programs in six months or more. I always say I will, but never do. Thanks for the replies though. I am actually using a program that Derek Charlebois made for me. It's a four day Upper/Lower with two HIIT days and one off day. Today's workout had me doing deadlifts, front squats, lying leg curl, seated calf raise, db curl, and bb wrist curls.

MELTDOWN
07-24-12, 10:25 pm
Keep in mind there are several routines tucked away above in the Training tab...
and to one of Big Wides quotes ... We are lifting weights, not building rockets....

http://www.animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=32

C.Coronato
07-25-12, 10:19 am
Should I do the same exercise I normally do? Or should I drop some of them besides legs since it will be given a full day? Normally I do the following exercises:

legs

usually 3 x 10-12 of everything, i superset a lot of stuff together like the leg presses.

leg press - flared wide power
leg press - tucked tensions 3-0-3
shoulder width squat power
db lunges
sldl
lying leg curl
standing calf raise

chest/tri's

2 sets of 10-12 working sets after warmup of the power exercises onlyon flat, rest of the tension/power bench presses get 1 set following the tempo listed, rest of the exercises get 3x10-12

flat db press PoWEr
20 degree db incline POWER 1-0-1 tempo
30 degree db incline TENSION 2-.5-3 tempo
db standing cable fly to shoulder length
db pullover
overhead v bar triceps extension
v bar pressdown

back/bi's

3x10-12 on everything

pull up
underhand pulldown
neutral grip seated cable row
barbell row
cg pulldown
weighted back extension
db cable row
bb curl

shoulders

3x10-12 of each, everything is paired with another exercise for supersets

cable x's from bottom position 2-.5-3 tempo
db rear delt row elbow back
50 degree db shoulder press Power 1-0-1 tempo
wide grip upright row
db front raises
db side raises 11/1 oclock
bb shrug

You really can do whatever movements you would like, but to be honest, I have no clue what half of the words you used are. Keep it simple, as others have stated. Get in there and do the basics the best you can, don't over think it, or count your tempos, or anything like that. Just train your ass off and eat correctly. You can do something like this: