PDA

View Full Version : Multi-ply dangerous?

rev8ball
07-23-12, 12:16 pm
I was interviewed last week on an internet radio show called the Vegas Power Hour about if multi-ply suits (and even singe-ply and raw) could create an unsafe environment for lifters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itBTfyCyJtk

Kowboy
07-23-12, 1:14 pm
Great to listen to that, I don't really powerlift or even lift w/ a suit but it was a good thing to listen to and take in to count when lifting.

BigChrisF
07-23-12, 7:34 pm
I am interested to see what you come up with in your study and hope you post it here.

I don't believe that lifting in multi ply or single ply increases the risk of aneurism over raw lifting. The risk to aneurism has more to do with the pressure built up from the strain, rather than any supportive gear pressing against you. I personally break blood vessels in my face more frequently when in gear than raw, but I believe that to be more from time under strain since the time a lift takes to perform is longer for myself when using supportive equipment. If I grind out a raw lift, I break blood vessels in a similar pattern.

smoothballer
07-24-12, 7:50 am
Very Interesting

rev8ball
07-24-12, 10:54 am
I am interested to see what you come up with in your study and hope you post it here.

I don't believe that lifting in multi ply or single ply increases the risk of aneurism over raw lifting. The risk to aneurism has more to do with the pressure built up from the strain, rather than any supportive gear pressing against you. I personally break blood vessels in my face more frequently when in gear than raw, but I believe that to be more from time under strain since the time a lift takes to perform is longer for myself when using supportive equipment. If I grind out a raw lift, I break blood vessels in a similar pattern.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to blow them in my eyes all the time.

What got us thinking about this, though, was that if MAST pants can raise blood pressure by being causing constriction, could PL suits do the same, especially since how they are now constructed.

We'll see what happens. I'll start the initial steps for the study next month, and see how it goes from there....