PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Big Wides
07-27-12, 12:53 pm
Olympics start tonight, I don't know about youse but I enjoy the Summer games better than the winter. Who here will be watching any of the games? What's your favorite ones to watch?

ghost
07-27-12, 1:55 pm
i know the wife will be watching gymnastics and swimming..

Bruiser
07-27-12, 2:00 pm
Oly lift of course! But I enjoy watching any of the individual sports (swimming, wrestling, track & field, etc). Not so much the team sports though (basketball, blah, etc). It'll be interesting to see how many individual athletes are left by the way they're dropping like flys this week with positive drug tests!

N. Motta
07-27-12, 2:47 pm
I recently took an interest in womens hurdling...

http://vimeo.com/45784191

World Eater
07-27-12, 2:51 pm
In all the chaos around here I'll probably forget to do so but I hope to catch some of the archery... My former coach now coaches the national team so wonder how they do this time.

C.Coronato
07-27-12, 3:48 pm
Big fan of the Olympics for sure. True athletes doing what they love. Competing, and being the absolute best. Every event is incredible with the caliber of the athletes. I like the short distance track and field events the most.

rainman
07-27-12, 3:50 pm
I've got tickets for the 105KG Weightlifting next Monday with my Dad and a couple of guys from the local powerlifting club. I'm pretty damn pumped about it. I might represent in an iconic shirt, but the list of what you are and aren't allowed to bring is endless, so there's probably a ban on company shirts too. The irony is they wouldn't give 2 shits if I wore a Maccy D or Coke top.

G Diesel
07-27-12, 3:56 pm
Love the Olympics. Always have, always will. Was raised on them.

Will be watching track, hoops, swimming, gymnastics, lifting and even some of the obscure stuff. I love it all.

Perfect intersection of culture and competition. And I find the dedication and tenacity of these athletes beyond inspirational.

Peace, G

rainman
07-27-12, 4:04 pm

Another sport where I can marvel at an impressive snatch.

G Diesel
07-27-12, 4:09 pm

Haha. Damn she looked like she was fucking around and then smoked those girls. She might get dusted by the American and Jamaican girls though.

Another sport where I can marvel at an impressive snatch.

Ah, the British sense of humor.

Peace, G

NJC_Manhattan
07-27-12, 4:44 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgmYutL9W0

NJC_Manhattan
07-27-12, 4:46 pm

Beat me to it

Big C
07-27-12, 6:16 pm
Love it. Going to try and relax and watch as much as I can. I can't imagine doing what these athletes do.

HIGA MONSTER
07-27-12, 6:57 pm
I've got tickets for the 105KG Weightlifting next Monday with my Dad and a couple of guys from the local powerlifting club. I'm pretty damn pumped about it. I might represent in an iconic shirt, but the list of what you are and aren't allowed to bring is endless, so there's probably a ban on company shirts too. The irony is they wouldn't give 2 shits if I wore a Maccy D or Coke top.
BADASS. You need to post pictures!

I went to the World Weightlifting Championships when it was up here in Vancouver, British Columbia and me and the wife thought it was the coolest thing to see live.
I cant imagine seeing the Olympics weightlifting live. Thats truly an honor.

HIGA MONSTER

mritter3
07-27-12, 7:31 pm
Def be watching, used to watch as a family growing up. Top athletes from all over the world competing against the best of the best to prove who is elite, oh yah. Track and field, swimming, and bb for sure.

rainman
08-06-12, 6:16 pm
BADASS. You need to post pictures!

I went to the World Weightlifting Championships when it was up here in Vancouver, British Columbia and me and the wife thought it was the coolest thing to see live.
I cant imagine seeing the Olympics weightlifting live. Thats truly an honor.

HIGA MONSTER
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/rokin_album/DSC00152.jpg

I just got in from the 105KG Weightlifting. It was mental. Only 2KG separated the Bronze from the Silver and Gold medal positions. Ukrainian Oleksiy Torokhity totalled 412KG, doing a 227KG clean and jerk, (just shy of 500lb), to take the win. The whole arena was electric. It's something you just don't appreciate seeing it on the TV and I feel so lucky to have actually been able to go. Got to start saving for Rio now!
Sorry the only photo I have at the moment is me looking like a nobhead in front of the Excel Arena, (rocking the LE Military Iconic though), but I had my camera set on multiple shots, so have about 300 images to go through. I'll post up more when I get time to go through them.

Cranky
08-08-12, 4:55 pm
Man, never really watched before, didnt know the games were this good. Watching stuff I never had any interest in like diving. Wont watch basketball tho. Dont care for the boasting about being better than the Dream Team. Might just be nostalgia, but I think the original DT was better. They were all older, had longer storied careers, and represented a national pride the current team doesnt have. I look at the team now and see a bunch of guys out for personal gains and achievements instead of bringing glory to the flag. The bragging and trash talk dont belong at the games, just poor sportsmanship.

Cellardweller
08-08-12, 5:27 pm
Man, never really watched before, didnt know the games were this good. Watching stuff I never had any interest in like diving. Wont watch basketball tho. Dont care for the boasting about being better than the Dream Team. Might just be nostalgia, but I think the original DT was better. They were all older, had longer storied careers, and represented a national pride the current team doesnt have. I look at the team now and see a bunch of guys out for personal gains and achievements instead of bringing glory to the flag. The bragging and trash talk dont belong at the games, just poor sportsmanship.

well said.

I've been watching the games more this year than before. My personal interest is in rowing. I was in the crew in high school. I wish there was an event that covered multiple events over the course of the games. What I want to see is individual atheletes participating in multiple events for an overall medal. Most events are specialized and specificly traing for. I want to see a guy swim one day, run the next, then bike, then throw a shotput then something else, etc. I want a most athletic badass in the world gold medal. Michael Phelps can swim all day, but can he run? Does he have coordination? Strength? Agility? When the Olympics first began all the competitors competed in all events. Now its so specialized. If your event is canoeing, then that's all you train for.

Cranky
08-08-12, 5:54 pm
well said.

I've been watching the games more this year than before. My personal interest is in rowing. I was in the crew in high school. I wish there was an event that covered multiple events over the course of the games. What I want to see is individual atheletes participating in multiple events for an overall medal. Most events are specialized and specificly traing for. I want to see a guy swim one day, run the next, then bike, then throw a shotput then something else, etc. I want a most athletic badass in the world gold medal. Michael Phelps can swim all day, but can he run? Does he have coordination? Strength? Agility? When the Olympics first began all the competitors competed in all events. Now its so specialized. If your event is canoeing, then that's all you train for.

Run, swim, shoot. Doesnt get all the credit it should and those are some well rounded athletes who divide their time amongst their fields to be the best overall. I hear you man.

Kowboy
08-08-12, 9:12 pm
I refuse to watch those overpaid ghetto assholes play basketball and haven't watched a single game. I have been watching it all on the live extra site. I am enjoying diving, swimming, gymnastics, USA Soccer, Weightlifting, Track and Field and a bunch more. The most impressive is the snatch and the hammer throw. I have no clue how those dudes throw that hammer, hell the triple jump blows my mind as well.

rainman
09-08-12, 6:56 pm
The Wife and I went to watch the athletics at the Paralympics yesterday. Got to say that it was just as awe inspiring to watch as the weightlifting was last month, only this time we got to go to the main stadium and wander around the Olympic Village. We got to see Oscar Pistorius smoke the field in his qualifying heat for the 400M and the cheer he got was phenomenal. So glad he got his gold tonight. That guy has done so much for the Paralympics and sport in general.

TigerAce01
09-08-12, 7:39 pm
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/rokin_album/DSC00152.jpg

I just got in from the 105KG Weightlifting. It was mental. Only 2KG separated the Bronze from the Silver and Gold medal positions. Ukrainian Oleksiy Torokhity totalled 412KG, doing a 227KG clean and jerk, (just shy of 500lb), to take the win. The whole arena was electric. It's something you just don't appreciate seeing it on the TV and I feel so lucky to have actually been able to go. Got to start saving for Rio now!
Sorry the only photo I have at the moment is me looking like a nobhead in front of the Excel Arena, (rocking the LE Military Iconic though), but I had my camera set on multiple shots, so have about 300 images to go through. I'll post up more when I get time to go through them.

The 105kg class was shallow this summer without Klokov and Akkayev present. I have been waiting for Klokov to get back in the Olympics and I was deeply saddened when he pulled out only a couple of days before competition. This year's 105kg Gold was the lightest total since the actual inception of the 105kg class.

Very sad...but, it still must have been great to be there.

-Ace

rainman
09-08-12, 8:02 pm
I've got to be honest that I don't really follow Olympic lifting to that extent. I did hear it was the lowest total since the introduction of the class, and that some of the lighter class lifters totalled more, but it was more for the atmosphere. That last 1KG raise in the clean and jerk was so tense to watch. Mainly as I was sitting next to an absolutely massive Polish dude who wasn't too happy when Bonk got pushed to Silver medal position. Luckily he left before he got relegated to Bronze.

Plus I have to justify the £175 per ticket of course!

TigerAce01
09-09-12, 12:39 pm
I've got to be honest that I don't really follow Olympic lifting to that extent. I did hear it was the lowest total since the introduction of the class, and that some of the lighter class lifters totalled more, but it was more for the atmosphere. That last 1KG raise in the clean and jerk was so tense to watch. Mainly as I was sitting next to an absolutely massive Polish dude who wasn't too happy when Bonk got pushed to Silver medal position. Luckily he left before he got relegated to Bronze.

Plus I have to justify the £175 per ticket of course!

Oh man, I agree, weightlifting competitions are just exciting. I haven't been to any world class events, but anytime I go I don't even pay attention to the weights, unless there's a super small increment for a win. I just sit back and see the struggle and drama unfold. The crowds are almost always very deeply enthusiastic, so it sets the stage for a lot of PRs to be set. I would have paid to go there even without my favorite lifters...because it's still the Olympics!

-Ace