PDA

View Full Version : Why diet soda??

MOMENTUM
08-01-12, 1:54 pm
I've come across several instances where individuals on bulks or rather a regular diet consume 'diet soda'. Can someone please explain the benefits of drinking this beverage & why it's ok to drink it?

G Diesel
08-01-12, 2:11 pm
I've come across several instances where individuals on bulks or rather a regular diet consume 'diet soda'. Can someone please explain the benefits of drinking this beverage & why it's ok to drink it?

In moderation, I don't think it should be a health issue. But the only real benefit of drinking it is that it is a flavored beverage with no calories. So, instead of drinking lemonade or Pepsi or whatever, which tends to be loaded with sugar, you can drink a diet soda.

I think many in this lifestyle like diet drinks because they provide flavor to what is often a bland diet.

I know a lot of guys who, if they were going to take an opportunity to cheat and have empty sugar calories, would rather get them from cake or ice cream, as opposed to their beverages.

Peace, G

Tiger
08-02-12, 6:13 am
I only ever see fat people drinking diet soda...

Universal Rep
08-02-12, 9:24 am

I drink diet and I ain't fat by a long shot, T...

G Diesel
08-02-12, 9:26 am

And every bodybuilder I've ever met, other than Evan.

Peace, G

C.Coronato
08-02-12, 10:03 am
And every bodybuilder I've ever met, other than Evan.

Peace, G

and C.Coronato.

I actually dont drink much diet at all. In the offseason if I do want a soda, im going fully leaded.

G Diesel
08-02-12, 10:04 am
and C.Coronato.

I actually dont drink much diet at all. In the offseason if I do want a soda, im going fully leaded.

Yeah I forgot about your big ass too. Fully leaded MUG for the win.

Peace, G

Aggression
08-02-12, 10:05 am
In the offseason if I do want a soda, im going fully leaded.

I love me a Pepsi Throwback during a backload.

G Diesel
08-02-12, 10:06 am

Real soda with sugar tastes fucking crazy. It is an amazing experience if you never have it.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-02-12, 10:07 am

I had one last week outta curiosity. It really took me back to my youth...

Universal Rep
08-02-12, 10:08 am

I had one last week outta curiosity. It really took me back to my youth...

Real soda with sugar tastes fucking crazy. It is an amazing experience if you never have it.

Peace, G

Yup, I was bouncin off the walls...

Lightnin'
08-02-12, 3:09 pm

Peace, G

What's up G? I had a drink by accident a while back and the syrup was just too much brother.... Plus, I'd rather have a brew than a pop any day. I love diet coke though man....jeez

BigChrisF
08-03-12, 12:13 am

That's because the skinny people drinking regular soda are just on their way to being fat people drinking diet soda. Also, I indulge in diet soda and I'm fat. Well, maybe not by midwest standards...

mcbeast
08-03-12, 12:37 am
Fact:
130 +/- Diet Cokes have the same amount of sugar as one regular coke

I personally do not like much diet stuff. If I'm going to have a soda, it will be the real thing. Pretty sure there is evidence linking aspartame (sugar substitute, right?) to a series of health risks. Plus, I know for fact and personal experience copious amounts of sugar substitute in a short amount of time will back you up, its not fun..

On another note, ever notice how most people who pick up fast food (IE, A big mac, fries, etc) usually order a diet coke with it?

BigChrisF
08-03-12, 2:21 am
Fact:
130 +/- Diet Cokes have the same amount of sugar as one regular coke

I personally do not like much diet stuff. If I'm going to have a soda, it will be the real thing. Pretty sure there is evidence linking aspartame (sugar substitute, right?) to a series of health risks. Plus, I know for fact and personal experience copious amounts of sugar substitute in a short amount of time will back you up, its not fun..

On another note, ever notice how most people who pick up fast food (IE, A big mac, fries, etc) usually order a diet coke with it?

Aspertame has a weak link to tumors in rats. I say weak link because they had to jam them full of obscene amounts to get a result. If you were to try to get that much from diet soda, the phosphorus content would kill you long before you get tumors.

At least they are cutting calories somewhere...

Solid Dreams
08-03-12, 2:21 am

Peace, G

They have Coke from Mexico, with cane sugar instead of the HFCS. Oh, man!

Cellardweller
08-03-12, 5:43 am
How about "one" or "zero" drinks?

Appollonian
08-03-12, 9:09 am

When I went to Korea, their diet drinks (that I found at least) where few and far between, with cane sugar as the sugar source for normal drinks, and stevia for the Coke Zero that I did find.

Coke Zero with Stevia does NOT taste like the Coke Zero in the USA. I ordred a Coke Zero at a restaraunt as I was jet lagged and needed something. I was convinced it was a regular Coke, but later we went shopping I bought a Coke Zero and was blown away.

G Diesel
08-03-12, 9:48 am
Bought this stuff to put in my tea: http://www.nectresse.com/

Looks promising, but I don't have a verdict yet on taste.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-03-12, 10:03 am

All the same as far as Im concerned. Drink wut ya like... Sum prefer "diet" others "one" or "zero"l... Just diff blends of artificial sweetners I believe.

G Diesel
08-03-12, 10:09 am
They have Coke from Mexico, with cane sugar instead of the HFCS. Oh, man!

I've seen those and I don't doubt it.

I think those are just synonyms for diet. Basically artificially sweetened drinks with negligible calories.

When I went to Korea, their diet drinks (that I found at least) where few and far between, with cane sugar as the sugar source for normal drinks, and stevia for the Coke Zero that I did find.

Coke Zero with Stevia does NOT taste like the Coke Zero in the USA. I ordred a Coke Zero at a restaraunt as I was jet lagged and needed something. I was convinced it was a regular Coke, but later we went shopping I bought a Coke Zero and was blown away.

Sounds awesome, I'd love to find something stevia sweetened that actually tastes good.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-03-12, 10:10 am
I've seen those and I don't doubt it.

I think those are just synonyms for diet. Basically artificially sweetened drinks with negligible calories.

Sounds awesome, I'd love to find something stevia sweetened that actually tastes good.

Peace, G

Stevia? You?? Oh no wuts the world comin to...

G Diesel
08-03-12, 10:32 am
Stevia? You?? Oh no wuts the world comin to...

Well, I figure if I could have a zero calorie sweetener that was natural instead of artificial, that would be great, but I've yet to find one.

Peace, G

N. Motta
08-03-12, 12:35 pm
Corner the market G!

Kingslayer
08-05-12, 11:39 pm
I probably drink a diet coke a day. Terrible.

Ox
08-06-12, 9:52 am
Diet soda is for fat people and women.

PORTERHOUSE
08-06-12, 11:20 am
I like diet ginger ale.

Universal Rep
08-09-12, 3:12 pm
I like diet ginger ale.

As do I... Always works to calm my stomach, dunno why.

ztrogers52
08-11-12, 2:27 pm
Saw this on MensHealth.com, interesting info about diet soda and the effect of both real and artificial sweeteners on the bacteria in our stomach. Check it out: http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-fat/2012/06/21/ I think I will limit my artificial sweeteners the best I can...

Ox
08-12-12, 9:02 pm
Saw this on MensHealth.com, interesting info about diet soda and the effect of both real and artificial sweeteners on the bacteria in our stomach. Check it out: http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-fat/2012/06/21/ I think I will limit my artificial sweeteners the best I can...

And boom goes the dynamite!

deanna7272
08-12-12, 9:16 pm
This year at the Cage I was approached my a few fellas asking why I was drinking Diet Dew while I was prepping... (It was actually the first I had indulged in them since the beginning of my prep in Jan)... If you know me, I WAS a DD freak, mixing everything with it, always having one on hand. I have since then kicked my "habit" of Diet Dew. Every once in a great while, I may have a diet drink, but sticking mainly to water (with aminos) to sip on. After reading up on the effects, the myths of the benefits, etc I'm steering clear...

PLUS, I sure as hell don't want to fit into Ox's "Fat people and Women" category...lol

Ox
08-13-12, 12:06 pm
This year at the Cage I was approached my a few fellas asking why I was drinking Diet Dew while I was prepping... (It was actually the first I had indulged in them since the beginning of my prep in Jan)... If you know me, I WAS a DD freak, mixing everything with it, always having one on hand. I have since then kicked my "habit" of Diet Dew. Every once in a great while, I may have a diet drink, but sticking mainly to water (with aminos) to sip on. After reading up on the effects, the myths of the benefits, etc I'm steering clear...

PLUS, I sure as hell don't want to fit into Ox's "Fat people and Women" category...lol

Amen! Seriously though, do you feel any different not having diet soda so often?

RyanHalliwell
08-14-12, 10:45 am

Never drink it, if it taste good and you haven't made it yourself its probably not good for you. The joys of clean dieting !

deanna7272
08-14-12, 1:19 pm
Amen! Seriously though, do you feel any different not having diet soda so often?

I definitely notice less bloat from the sweetners!! I'm super sensitive to sweetners and certain additives/fillers, so I really have to watch what I take in. It can really make for a bad day.

I also noticed when I was drinking it thatI thought I was satisfying a sweet craving, when actually after drinking it, I just wanted ANOTHER!!

Ox
08-15-12, 10:04 am
I definitely notice less bloat from the sweetners!! I'm super sensitive to sweetners and certain additives/fillers, so I really have to watch what I take in. It can really make for a bad day.

I also noticed when I was drinking it thatI thought I was satisfying a sweet craving, when actually after drinking it, I just wanted ANOTHER!!

I think you're right. I was drinking Crystal Light leading to one of the shows I prepped for in the past and I swear I could not drink enough of that shit...I feel like it made me so hungry and oddly...I couldn't quench my thirst. Since then I stay away from stuff like that.

G Diesel
08-15-12, 12:01 pm
I think you're right. I was drinking Crystal Light leading to one of the shows I prepped for in the past and I swear I could not drink enough of that shit...I feel like it made me so hungry and oddly...I couldn't quench my thirst. Since then I stay away from stuff like that.

So we drinka the soda together and then we make photo, yes?

Peace, G

ctgblue
08-15-12, 1:28 pm
I drink it for the flavor and the caffeine.
WHY would I want 200 extra calories of sugar to go along with that?

During prep, I limit it to two a day. Now I drink too many, I just try to balance it with getting enough water.
Even with the water, during prep i had to add crystal light to be able to drink enough.

deanna7272
08-15-12, 4:30 pm

Oh, my prep for my 2nd show, I craved (and caved) sweets so bad I'd eat baking Splenda by the spoonful! Talk about bellyaches and it never satisfied the craving. . . That stuff is just terrible!! I have learned the hard way. Once that sweet gets back into my mouth, I'm done! Mind over matter. . .lol

I drink it for the flavor and the caffeine.
WHY would I want 200 extra calories of sugar to go along with that?

During prep, I limit it to two a day. Now I drink too many, I just try to balance it with getting enough water.
Even with the water, during prep i had to add crystal light to be able to drink enough.
Try adding some Atomic 7 to your water... Ya get your water in, BCAAs, and the flavor makes it go down easier!! SCORE all the way around!!

Aggression
08-15-12, 5:10 pm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Pepsi_Throwback_2010.png/220px-Pepsi_Throwback_2010.png

No artificial sweeteners
No HFCS
Made with real sugar

win-win-win

Ox
08-15-12, 6:12 pm
^That's the way. I wish Coke did the same. We may be splitting hairs here but I really think Coke tastes way better. I know you can get Mexican Coke but I don't drink it often enough to warrant the search. One thing I will definitely say though is that Coke or Pepsi, drunk with a cheat meal, aids my digestion! I could eat something that might otherwise give me indigestion and the Pepsi/Coke makes it like it never even happened.

Ox
08-15-12, 6:12 pm
So we drinka the soda together and then we make photo, yes?

Peace, G

Hahahahahahaha...awesome

biggora
08-16-12, 12:55 am
^That's the way. I wish Coke did the same. We may be splitting hairs here but I really think Coke tastes way better. I know you can get Mexican Coke but I don't drink it often enough to warrant the search. One thing I will definitely say though is that Coke or Pepsi, drunk with a cheat meal, aids my digestion! I could eat something that might otherwise give me indigestion and the Pepsi/Coke makes it like it never even happened.

Ox, I feel the exact same way. On the occasion I'll have some pizza or burgers and as long as I have a regular coke/pepsi I'm feeling fine afterwards. But if I skip on the carbonated goodness that shit will sit like a lead ball in my gut for hours afterwards. Especially pizza.

Aggression
08-16-12, 8:46 am
Ox, I feel the exact same way. On the occasion I'll have some pizza or burgers and as long as I have a regular coke/pepsi I'm feeling fine afterwards. But if I skip on the carbonated goodness that shit will sit like a lead ball in my gut for hours afterwards. Especially pizza.

Funny. I had a few slices of pizza last night with a ThrowBack Pepsi and I felt great!

naturalguy
08-16-12, 9:10 am
I've recently stopped drinking diet soda, I was a pretty heavy drinker of it. I stopped not because of the artificial sweeteners (although that is a benny) but I am currently cutting down on all stimulants so I am trying to avoid extra caffeine for a while.

I haven't had a regular soda in years, I would imagine it would taste very sweet, may have to give one a try soon just for the taste.

Tiger
08-16-12, 9:21 am
Every few months I'll sometimes have the craving for some Cherry Coke or something, and I'll just go for it on a Sat or something.

Recently I've increased my water intake - I used to think I drank heaps of water, but when I added it all up I was still falling short.

That Pepsi Throwback sounds awesome! We've got a Global Sweets store somewhere in town - I'll need to go see if they have that imported!

BigChrisF
08-17-12, 12:25 am
Every few months I'll sometimes have the craving for some Cherry Coke or something, and I'll just go for it on a Sat or something.

Recently I've increased my water intake - I used to think I drank heaps of water, but when I added it all up I was still falling short.

That Pepsi Throwback sounds awesome! We've got a Global Sweets store somewhere in town - I'll need to go see if they have that imported!

It is my understanding that most soda in Europe already uses sucrose as it's sugar base rather than fructose. If that is the case, it isn't necessary to get one that is imported from the US. Check the labels and find out.

Solid Dreams
08-17-12, 12:34 am
I've recently stopped drinking diet soda, I was a pretty heavy drinker of it. I stopped not because of the artificial sweeteners (although that is a benny) but I am currently cutting down on all stimulants so I am trying to avoid extra caffeine for a while.

I haven't had a regular soda in years, I would imagine it would taste very sweet, may have to give one a try soon just for the taste.

I agree about Coke tasting better. Since I'm in Texas, there's mexican coke every freakin where, and it's, quite frankly, delicious. If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't want to go back to slurping all my calories, I'd drink em all the time. Regular coke just tastes sort of funny, but Mexican Coke, with the cane sugar, is ridiculously good.

You should come down here, Evan, I'll buy you one LOL

Ox
08-17-12, 6:15 pm
I agree about Coke tasting better. Since I'm in Texas, there's mexican coke every freakin where, and it's, quite frankly, delicious. If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't want to go back to slurping all my calories, I'd drink em all the time. Regular coke just tastes sort of funny, but Mexican Coke, with the cane sugar, is ridiculously good.

You should come down here, Evan, I'll buy you one LOL

Ha! If I am ever down your way I WILL take you up on that.

Ox
08-17-12, 6:16 pm
Funny. I had a few slices of pizza last night with a ThrowBack Pepsi and I felt great!

It's no coincidence! I'm telling you, a Coke or a Pepsi with a shitty meal ups it's digestion by like tenfold. It's science.

eblnyc
08-17-12, 7:01 pm
I hate soda it does nothing for me..but reg soda has alot of sugar...