PDA

View Full Version : Calories and body weight

Lightnin'
08-03-12, 9:32 pm
Ive got an app on my phone that says to maintain my body weight I need to net 2,660 calories per day. Does that sound right? Seems low to me.
Stats: 6'1/2" 190lbs
Training: lift 3 times a week 45 min, cardio 3 times a week 35-40 min

I'm currently on a cut net about 2,100 cals per day and have lost 7-8 pounds in about 35 days.

SailinScotty
08-03-12, 9:54 pm
If what you're doing is working I'd stick with it. Once it stops or slows down then maybe drop a few hundred calories or add in a little more cardio.

TokenAzn
08-04-12, 4:43 pm
What's your body fat percentage?

Ox
08-06-12, 9:55 am
Ive got an app on my phone that says to maintain my body weight I need to net 2,660 calories per day. Does that sound right? Seems low to me.
Stats: 6'1/2" 190lbs
Training: lift 3 times a week 45 min, cardio 3 times a week 35-40 min

I'm currently on a cut net about 2,100 cals per day and have lost 7-8 pounds in about 35 days.

There is no right or wrong. If you're losing weight you are in a deficit. If you're gaining, you're eating above maintenance. If you are maintaining, you are at maintenance. No such thing as a formula or app for calories.

ztrogers52
08-06-12, 12:07 pm
There is no right or wrong. If you're losing weight you are in a deficit. If you're gaining, you're eating above maintenance. If you are maintaining, you are at maintenance. No such thing as a formula or app for calories.

I like this approach...

Lightnin'
08-06-12, 3:39 pm

Right, I understand that but shouldn't a formula help you get close. Or at least a good benchmark starting point? It just seemed to me that I would be around 3000 per day to maintain.

Lightnin'
08-06-12, 3:40 pm
What's your body fat percentage?

Don't know exactly. Probably 15-16%

Big Wides
08-06-12, 3:44 pm
Right, I understand that but shouldn't a formula help you get close. Or at least a good benchmark starting point? It just seemed to me that I would be around 3000 per day to maintain.

would try that out, the 3000 per day to see if you maintain your weight without getting either too slim or fat. if you find yourself going in either direction I would change up how your eating. One thing that I've learned is that you won't know what works until you try it out, and with the diet it's one of those things that is going to take a lot of experimentation before you find out what really works

Lightnin'
08-07-12, 12:08 pm
would try that out, the 3000 per day to see if you maintain your weight without getting either too slim or fat. if you find yourself going in either direction I would change up how your eating. One thing that I've learned is that you won't know what works until you try it out, and with the diet it's one of those things that is going to take a lot of experimentation before you find out what really works

Sounds good Wides. thanks

TokenAzn
08-07-12, 12:35 pm
I calculated my caloric needs by plugging in my LBM into the BMR formula and multiplied my BMR by 1.7 since I'm very active at my job in addition to training in the afternoon. I just had a little trouble with carb timing, but I got it down now. Figure out your BMR and TDEE using your LBM.

Ox
08-07-12, 5:08 pm

I don't understand why you would need a formula. The idea would be to simply look at how many calories you are currently eating. Then, you decide what is going on at the moment; are you gaining, losing or maintaining. That would tell you if you are eating above, below or at maintenance. No? How can a formula ever be as good as the what you are able to see with your own two eyes?

Universal Rep
08-08-12, 11:33 am

I don't understand why you would need a formula. The idea would be to simply look at how many calories you are currently eating. Then, you decide what is going on at the moment; are you gaining, losing or maintaining. That would tell you if you are eating above, below or at maintenance. No? How can a formula ever be as good as the what you are able to see with your own two eyes?

Ima thinkin he just wants to establish a baseline with that "formula"...

Lightnin'
08-08-12, 1:58 pm
Ima thinkin he just wants to establish a baseline with that "formula"...

Yea, just trying to figure a baseline for myself and then make the adjustments as I go. I've been netting 2,280 with 180g pro, 205g carb, 82g fat.

Lightnin'
08-08-12, 2:06 pm
Yea, just trying to figure a baseline for myself and then make the adjustments as I go. I've been netting 2,280 with 180g pro, 205g carb, 82g fat.

I've been netting 2,100-2,300 with roughly 180g pro, 205g carb, 82g fat.
Down 9 pounds total in about 40 days. I guess I would have thought this number would have been higher. Maybe old age is slowing down the metabolism. Or maybe I'm not burning as many cals as I think during workouts. I normally use the following:

40 min lifting = 300 cals
45 min lifting = 340 cals

35 min Stationary bike = 300 cal
40 min Stationary bike = 350 cal