PDA

View Full Version : anterior impingment - alternative leg workouts

mm_tris
08-06-12, 6:24 am
Hey guys,

I have been diagnosed with an anterior impingement (bone spurs) on my left ankle. As a result I have been instructed to stay away from squats, leg press, deadlift for 3-6 weeks. Reason being to allow the joint to heal and prevent ongoing swelling.

Chasing suggestions for alternative leg workouts that don't put to much strain on that joint.
I'm thinking volume sets on leg extensions and leg curls... any other ideas?

In terms of my back workout I will just focus on good mornings to maintain/build lower back strength- should be a good change.

BigChrisF
08-06-12, 6:43 am
Does your doctor feel that the time off of putting heavy strain on your ankle during any flexion or extension will make the bone spurs go away on their own? A lot of times when they are bad enough to be causing pain and joint inflammation they have to be surgically removed.

I would use the leg curl/extension, Glute-Ham Raise (GHR), Reverse hyper, and single leg press just for the sympathetic response. Couldn't hurt. Unless it does. Fingers crossedX

Now that I think about it, pressing your toes into the plate on the GHR might violate the spirit of your doc's prohibition on exercises.

mm_tris
08-06-12, 10:43 am
Does your doctor feel that the time off of putting heavy strain on your ankle during any flexion or extension will make the bone spurs go away on their own? A lot of times when they are bad enough to be causing pain and joint inflammation they have to be surgically removed.

I would use the leg curl/extension, Glute-Ham Raise (GHR), Reverse hyper, and single leg press just for the sympathetic response. Couldn't hurt. Unless it does. Fingers crossedX

Now that I think about it, pressing your toes into the plate on the GHR might violate the spirit of your doc's prohibition on exercises.

To put it into context I am on the mend from a recurrent ankle sprain caused playing football. Seems as if I've overloaded the joint a bit too soon with heavy squats and deads. The physio seems to think rest combined with working the joint (physio) is the first step. If the inflammation doesn't subside then possibly a cortisone injection and last resort would be to go under the knife to clean it up.

Thanks for the suggestions, haven't tried reverse hypers before. GHR should be fine, the machine I use goes onto my achilles (if that makes sense). I think any type of dorsi-flexion will aggravate the joint which rules out any type of leg press or squatting movements).
Might just do a bit of a high-rep circuit on all the girls leg machines haha.