PDA

View Full Version : Pull/Push/Legs/Repeat Split advice and opinions

billmd1334
08-09-12, 8:12 am
I am currently doing a basic 5 day split (Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms), I have been debating on switching it up to a Pull/Push/Legs/Repeat/Repeat 5 day split... then the following week I would do legs/pull/push/repeat/repeat... etc.

Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and what do you think of a split similar to that? I feel that hitting bodyparts 2x a week is beneficial for me, just thought I'd see if anyone else has done this and if so, how did you setup the routine?

jonny957
08-10-12, 2:02 am
I was doing Push/Legs/Pull/Off for a year, and I liked it. I put legs in the middle so that I never worked upper body on any two consecutive days. The advantage, as you mentioned, is that you are hitting each muscle group more often than the five days out of seven routine. Something that you are going to consider is whether your 3 workouts are going to be longer than your 5 used to be. I have always been careful to keep my workouts under an hour, so this meant eliminating those exercises that were less valuable. For example:

Push
Incline Press
Flies
Shoulder Press
Laterals
Rope Pulldown

By doing three sets for each, the whole workout was only 15 sets. If you were to do your original chest, shoulders, and triceps workouts stacked together, that might take over two hours. So consider using only the exercises that you find most beneficial.

Pull
Back Workout
Shrugs
Curls

I hope this helps.

Grace and Peace