PDA

View Full Version : Running while bulking?

Vrotsos991
08-11-12, 4:14 pm
Have not done cardio since i started lifting (september). I slowly started running and was thinking about doing 5miles 3 days a week. Will this effect my bulking even if i eat enough?

JoshLandry
08-11-12, 9:02 pm
Have not done cardio since i started lifting (september). I slowly started running and was thinking about doing 5miles 3 days a week. Will this effect my bulking even if i eat enough?

well depending on your ultimate goal, yes and no. if your trying to be the best bodybuilder you can i would say no. running burns muscle off of you way too fast. you only need your heart rate up around 130 to burn fat. and you can do that with a incline walk on the treadmill. but like i said everything is dependent on your goals buddy.

Kingslayer
08-12-12, 5:03 pm
15 miles a week? Get it done!

PORTERHOUSE
08-12-12, 6:59 pm
I mean, what is your goal? Distance running and bodybuilding don't mix.

Personally, I use a mixture of low intensity cardio and sprinting.

C.Coronato
08-13-12, 11:51 am
If you eat enough to counteract that caloric deficit into your body by running that much, you should be good. But that will be a ton of food!

P Diesel
08-14-12, 12:24 am
yea like C said thats a ton mroe food to counter the caloric loss. its 100% counter productive if ur bulking to do cardio bro

P

PORTERHOUSE
08-14-12, 10:51 am
its 100% counter productive if ur bulking to do cardio bro

P

Only if your only goal is to watch the scale go up... but that's fucking easy, people who don't train do it every day.

I think that's becoming somewhat an archaic mindset.

Big C
08-14-12, 11:07 am
I do enough a week to keep my heart in check, and I'm not cutting or anything at the moment.

Elliptical 3-4x a week (20 minute sessions) post workout and running sprints at the track 2x a week. I feel better overall and don't feel winded like I used to.

Like many have said I'm not so sure that much distance running would be productive for your goals....

Vrotsos991
08-14-12, 12:56 pm
I do enough a week to keep my heart in check, and I'm not cutting or anything at the moment.

Elliptical 3-4x a week (20 minute sessions) post workout and running sprints at the track 2x a week. I feel better overall and don't feel winded like I used to.

Like many have said I'm not so sure that much distance running would be productive for your goals....

I do not want to be distance. Not made for distance. Just want to keep my heart in check also. So since distance is rough, can i do 200 repeats on a track for under 20 minutes? This would be completely opposite of distance running

Big C
08-14-12, 1:23 pm
I do not want to be distance. Not made for distance. Just want to keep my heart in check also. So since distance is rough, can i do 200 repeats on a track for under 20 minutes? This would be completely opposite of distance running

Well in your original post you said run 5 miles 3x a week...to me, that has distance written all over it. I don't know what 200 repeats are. When I sprint I usually do like ten 50 or 100 meter dashes.

Big C
08-14-12, 1:23 pm

Well in your original post you said run 5 miles 3x a week...to me, that has distance written all over it. I don't know what 200 repeats are. When I sprint I usually do like ten 50 or 100 meter dashes.

Vrotsos991
08-16-12, 7:01 am

Haha sorry. I see distance as much further than 5 miles. I use to race roadbikes (at 150lbs) so distance to me is a 100 miles on a bike or over a ten mile run. Was not the best at these distance races though.

I did state 5 miles in my original post but I now understand that that is too long for a cardio work out for bulking. Since its too much I will drop even lower or just cut it out all together.

200 repeats are sprinting at 90% for 200 meters, then you walk for 200 meters. Repeat.

Aggression
08-16-12, 8:44 am
Fuck. Anything over 1mile is considered distance in my mind. Have you ever looked into high-intensity cardio? Instead of drudging away on the treadmill for 45min or going for a long run, do something with shorter bursts; prowling, sled pulling, sprinting (as you stated). All those will translate to better conditioning (heart health) and it will carry over to your lifting as well, helping to increase strength. I started doing those things almost a year ago and feel its great for all-around conditioning and strength training. I doubt I'll ever do that 'traditional' cardio again (unless I decide to step on stage again).

P Diesel
08-17-12, 6:50 pm
Fuck. Anything over 1mile is considered distance in my mind. Have you ever looked into high-intensity cardio? Instead of drudging away on the treadmill for 45min or going for a long run, do something with shorter bursts; prowling, sled pulling, sprinting (as you stated). All those will translate to better conditioning (heart health) and it will carry over to your lifting as well, helping to increase strength. I started doing those things almost a year ago and feel its great for all-around conditioning and strength training. I doubt I'll ever do that 'traditional' cardio again (unless I decide to step on stage again).

i agree. i would lean toward explosive cardio if any. look at the difference bewtween distance runners and sprinters. explosive or short burst cardio will onyl aid ur lifts.

P

ThatLittleMonster
08-20-12, 1:05 pm
My man! when i started at 185-190 and i wanted to lose weight i began running, i to would do the 12 mile runs. The barefoot running, i dropped down to 145 pounds. Then began my journey to bulking, right now im at about 173 standing at 5'4. My road to the end wont stop until im at att least 185 to 190. I noticed a couple months ago, since i stopped my running all together to just get fucking enormous, i saw that fat on the rise, still muscle still looking beast mode, but do cardio not long distance, do some HIT, it will help you, and EAT RIGHT clean foods my brother. have a cheat day though go wild. But cardio i recommend 2 times a week 15 minutes at least. it helped me. and saved me from to much body fat% but your going to have more anyway while bulking so don't mind it to much.

A.B.E always be eatin!

ajoaks
08-31-12, 11:26 am
dont completely stop doing cardio or you will be in the same boat i am in. i used to run 5+ miles for fun, but was having to eat way too much and was not seeing size or strength results from my training, so i cut out the cardio. unfortunately i ran a mile the other day and it was hell, i didn't enjoy it like i used to, my breathing was fine, just the motivation was gone. just keep that in mind

Enforcer
08-31-12, 12:20 pm
I haven't ran since the police academy....and I dont think I ever will again...lol

Vrotsos991
08-31-12, 8:33 pm
i agree. i would lean toward explosive cardio if any. look at the difference bewtween distance runners and sprinters. explosive or short burst cardio will onyl aid ur lifts.

P

Diesel,

Found out the university gym i go to when on campus has a sled. Have a buddy that eats drinks and sleeps lifting like me. Going to start incorporating this into our workouts as cardio. Looking forward to this

HEs got a bug in his ass to do some strong man contest, so Im sure doing event training days with him I will see some explosive cardio!

Carrnage
08-31-12, 9:22 pm
If you eat enough to counteract that caloric deficit into your body by running that much, you should be good. But that will be a ton of food!

Boom!