PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing the Mind of Beta Thoughts

G Diesel
08-15-12, 10:22 am
Recently, I've made a conscious decision to examine my thinking and attitudes on a daily basis, to assess what I need to do, in order to be better and do better, to be more productive, to achieve more, to move closer to my goals and to at the end of the metaphorical day, be happier.

I feel we are all so constantly bombarded by negativity, by weakness, by corruption... We feel oppressed, we feel emasculated, we're depressed. And often we don't even know it, we're not even aware. These intellectual toxins are fed to us by our rivals and critics, everyday, even sometimes by our "friends". They poison us, leaving us weak, apathetic and eventually defeated.

As such, I try to remind myself each day to think STRONG thoughts. When I hear hate or negativity or ridicule or defeatism, I remove myself from it. I attempt to literally purge myself of this insidious weakness, imagining it being scrubbed out of my mind. I imagine surrounding myself with a barrier of positive energy, in an atmosphere of strength, that cannot and will not stand for the penetration of that which is beta.

Figured I'd share this with you fellas. Might be a state of mind that could prove beneficial, in some way, for us all.

Peace, G

Razor
08-15-12, 10:36 am
Recently, I've made a conscious decision to examine my thinking and attitudes on a daily basis, to assess what I need to do, in order to be better and do better, to be more productive, to achieve more, to move closer to my goals and to at the end of the metaphorical day, be happier.

I feel we are all so constantly bombarded by negativity, by weakness, by corruption... We feel oppressed, we feel emasculated, we're depressed. And often we don't even know it, we're not even aware. These intellectual toxins are fed to us by our rivals and critics, everyday, even sometimes by our "friends". They poison us, leaving us weak, apathetic and eventually defeated.

As such, I try to remind myself each day to think STRONG thoughts. When I hear hate or negativity or ridicule or defeatism, I remove myself from it. I attempt to literally purge myself of this insidious weakness, imagining it being scrubbed out of my mind. I imagine surrounding myself with a barrier of positive energy, in an atmosphere of strength, that cannot and will not stand for the penetration of that which is beta.

Figured I'd share this with you fellas. Might be a state of mind that could prove beneficial, in some way, for us all.

Peace, G

Great words G. We're constantly surrounded by negativity and things that can bring us down a level. I know i struggle with this from time to time and it's a battle to stay positive especially during real dark times and/or stressful moments. You really do have to take yourself to another place and try and clean that shit off of you. It may sound cliche but no one can wipe away that shit but you. It has to come from within and you have to truly know that you're more than capable of doing that. Great words G and thanks bro.

ghost
08-15-12, 10:39 am
Great words G. We're constantly surrounded by negativity and things that can bring us down a level. I know i struggle with this from time to time and it's a battle to stay positive especially during real dark times and/or stressful moments. You really do have to take yourself to another place and try and clean that shit off of you. It may sound cliche but no one can wipe away that shit but you. It has to come from within and you have to truly know that you're more than capable of doing that. Great words G and thanks bro.

we ALL have negativity surrounding us. G definitely knows how to remind us to rise above, and keep that shit at bay to achieve your goals.

great write up G.

Big Joe
08-15-12, 10:42 am
Strong words G, that is a state of mind everyone should strive for. I believe positivity attracts more positivity which leads to a better life, while negativity only brings about more negativity that will drag you down.

naturalguy
08-15-12, 11:13 am
Good stuff G, I am going to keep reminding myself to think strong thoughts as well. It's easy to fall into the trap of "stinking thinking".

N. Motta
08-15-12, 11:24 am
This is great G. And unfortunately, I'm a big offender of being negative. Sometimes I catch myself, and wonder how big of a downer I must be for my wife.

Gonna try to improve.

SailinScotty
08-15-12, 11:31 am
Great post G. It is definitely an area I know I need to work. It is not worth it walk through life being negative all the time. It is so easy to just be negative but being positive is way more rewarding and healthier.

JasonG
08-15-12, 11:34 am
Good stuff, thanks G. Negative thoughts are like a cancer. I've found people who surround themselves with negative people become negative themselves. You can't always escape it, but you can rise above it and not get sucked in like you wrote.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-15-12, 3:23 pm
Awesome post. Think positive thoughts, feel better and perform better.

G Diesel
08-16-12, 9:53 am
Glad to see you fellas are with me on this. Conquering and exploring the inner space is one of the great challenges we face as flawed and finite beings.

We can train our bodies to perform and be strong, but can we train our minds?

Peace, G

Brometheus
08-16-12, 1:39 pm
Good stuff man, positive thoughts breed positive results.

rev8ball
08-16-12, 1:45 pm
Sweet, G, and dittos.

Over the last few months, I have been really dealing a lot with (what one of my athletes called) the "pussification of America." I have never heard so much whining from professional athletes. And, what's worse, it's not just confined to sports.

I could go on and on about this, but, basically, it seems to come down to two basic issues:
1. Winning, or even doing well, at anything really isn't that important. In fact, don't really try to be successful because you may make someone else feel bad
2. When you fail, it is never your fault. You can and should always blame someone or something else. Never accept responsibility for any of your failures

I did a lecture on this about 2 months ago to a group of athletes. As with all of my talks, we videoed it. But my employees thought that my opening monologue hammered it home so well that they turned it into a motivational video for my athletes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxT8IrhwD0

I even talked about this at my summer youth camp that I just returned from 2 weeks of.

Okay, time for me to step off the soap box......

N. Motta
08-16-12, 2:04 pm
....Okay, time for me to step off the soap box......

Not at all Rev. Love it. Good to hear from you.

Kowboy
08-16-12, 2:06 pm
I catch myself doing the same shit, sometimes its hard to stay positive. I just have to reassess my life and I have more than enough to be thankful. Good words, really helps out. I think with the mess this country is in and the bullshit they throw at us on TV sometimes it is easy to get in the rut.

Kowboy
08-16-12, 2:09 pm
Sweet, G, and dittos.

Over the last few months, I have been really dealing a lot with (what one of my athletes called) the "pussification of America." I have never heard so much whining from professional athletes. And, what's worse, it's not just confined to sports.

I could go on and on about this, but, basically, it seems to come down to two basic issues:
1. Winning, or even doing well, at anything really isn't that important. In fact, don't really try to be successful because you may make someone else feel bad
2. When you fail, it is never your fault. You can and should always blame someone or something else. Never accept responsibility for any of your failures

I did a lecture on this about 2 months ago to a group of athletes. As with all of my talks, we videoed it. But my employees thought that my opening monologue hammered it home so well that they turned it into a motivational video for my athletes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxT8IrhwD0

I even talked about this at my summer youth camp that I just returned from 2 weeks of.

I will watch this tonight but I am so sick of the pussification, and you are spot on. Everyone wants everything handed to them or are so afraid to get sued that its ridiculous. I would give anything to be a professional athlete and to make a living from it. I can't imagine going to a youth camp or seeing one. The way I hear kids act adn talk at the pool is enough to make me want to lock my kids away and keep them away from this bullshit.

deanna7272
08-16-12, 2:20 pm
So true G... If we constantly look at situations as barriers (I'm talking everything the gym, relationships, financial, etc) as the end all, then it's easy to bitch and moan about it. When you begin with the big things, it's easy to roll the negativity to even the smallest of issues. You can see this happening in most workplaces, they are the section in the lunchroom where all the bitching and moaning takes place. All of the negative thoughts are created, gathered, spewed and eventually carried home to the families. Misery loves company and negativity gathers it's army and invades your entire life.

Rev... Great video!! I definitely threw it in my favorites!! I sat and thought of my athletes and how I would love to show them, but also thought of myself and how there are no excuses for your failures. I own mine and others need to also...

Thanks guys...

Mattman33
08-16-12, 4:26 pm
S

love this video. great point....i need this to be my motto for my PE classes this year.

Sandman
08-16-12, 9:31 pm
I can REALLY relate to this, I changed jobs at the end of June because I was sick of the negativity and back stabbing. I took a job for less money and a LOT more work, but I feel better now than I have in years. I was just telling my wife last week that I had no idea how disconnected and negative I had become. But now that I'm away from it I can see it all very clearly. It's amazing how even if you are a dedicated and positive person, constantly being surrounded by negativity it starts to wear you down and you may not even realize it. No amount of money is worth being around that poison all day.

Appollonian
08-16-12, 11:25 pm
Awesome words G, thank you. This is the kind of mindset a person has to have and accept negativity from those around them.

G Diesel
08-17-12, 8:55 am
I can REALLY relate to this, I changed jobs at the end of June because I was sick of the negativity and back stabbing. I took a job for less money and a LOT more work, but I feel better now than I have in years. I was just telling my wife last week that I had no idea how disconnected and negative I had become. But now that I'm away from it I can see it all very clearly. It's amazing how even if you are a dedicated and positive person, constantly being surrounded by negativity it starts to wear you down and you may not even realize it. No amount of money is worth being around that poison all day.

Great insight my man. It literally takes a conscious effort to decide that you won't stand for any more of that shit in your world or in your life, and then there is a daily fight each day to stay the course.

I will say, however, that I think it is undeniable that a positive, strong, capable attitude begets progress, success and happiness. Conversely, if you're a negative fucking hater all the time, or a bad influence and you drag your dark cloud with you everywhere, it is really unlikely that you'll ever do much or be anything but miserable.

Peace, G

TigerAce01
08-17-12, 9:13 am
I wake up every morning, look myself in the mirror, and tell myself I will either do something I've never done, or do something better than I have before. At this point, it's gotten me through some rough days.

-Ace

RK
08-17-12, 12:00 pm
Sweet, G, and dittos.

I work at multiple inner city charter schools and this happens at all of them. A "new" way of thinking, they say. Scores are at an all time low, learning disability's are at an all time high and curriculum is laughable for the grade level. It drives me crazy to see the constant lowering of expectations to try and make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy in side. Life out of school is going to be one tough and winding road for these children.

It's ideas like this that need to be taught to the youth, finding pride in their work, keeping positive thoughts and actions in the forefront of everything they do. The best thing I (or anyone) can do is to lead by example and be as positive towards ourselves and others as possible

G Diesel
08-17-12, 1:52 pm
I work at multiple inner city charter schools and this happens at all of them. A "new" way of thinking, they say. Scores are at an all time low, learning disability's are at an all time high and curriculum is laughable for the grade level. It drives me crazy to see the constant lowering of expectations to try and make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy in side. Life out of school is going to be one tough and winding road for these children.

It's ideas like this that need to be taught to the youth, finding pride in their work, keeping positive thoughts and actions in the forefront of everything they do. The best thing I (or anyone) can do is to lead by example and be as positive towards ourselves and others as possible

That is very important work that you do, man. Those kids come from such rough circumstances, it is almost like they never have a chance. All they see is negative.

Leading by example and being good to those kids, you never know what your capacity could be to change a young life and actually save someone.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
08-17-12, 4:07 pm
Great thread G. We need to constantly work to improve our thoughts and actions everyday!

Cellardweller
08-17-12, 9:27 pm
I think one of the hardest things to do is to let shit go. I find myself holding on to negativity and it can make you bitter and judgmental.

rev8ball
08-18-12, 1:31 pm
Rev... Great video!! I definitely threw it in my favorites!! I sat and thought of my athletes and how I would love to show them, but also thought of myself and how there are no excuses for your failures. I own mine and others need to also...

No prob, D. It applies to so many things, not just sports. Plus, it was a ton of fun doing......lol

G Diesel
08-20-12, 10:39 am
I think one of the hardest things to do is to let shit go. I find myself holding on to negativity and it can make you bitter and judgmental.

I think we can all relate to that.

A couple of attitudes and understandings that have made a difference to me personally are...

1) Taking nothing for granted. Life is very fleeting and fragile.
2) Balancing hunger with gratitude. I know what I want out of life and I have an insatiable drive, but at the same time I know that I am already very lucky and blessed in so many ways.
3) Balancing a sense of urgency with patience. Nothing worthwhile happens over night. Instead of being miserable with every day that isn't ideal, understand that it is all a part of a greater process.
4) Take advantage of the opportunities that come your way. You never know what might happen if you start to stack up the positive actions and accomplishments.
5) Appreciate the small things. The things you so often overlook or shrug off may in fact be the best things in your life--friendships, relationships (with family, friends, pets, etc), conversations, debates, discussions, learning, knowledge. Things you can't see in the mirror or count in your bank account are likely the things that matter most and have the greatest value.

I try to remind myself of this stuff whenever I find myself anxious or angry or frustrated.

Peace, G

Kowboy
08-20-12, 10:44 am
Good points G, I can look back over many things in my life and see their purpose in the greater plan. I had a terrible job at Chase and I hated getting up to go to it every day. This is the same job that out of the and a few random questions later got me to where I am now. Before that I was laid off from a job I would have never left even though I hated it but that was just another stepping stone to get where I am. I am so happy now and everything is finally coming together.