PDA

View Full Version : Advice on injury...

Rambo Moe
08-16-12, 12:33 pm
I'm having a fair amount of pain in my delt when I shoulder press and incline bench, I'm assuming its my rotator cuff based on where the pain is
and the movements that cause the pain. But it only hurts when I do these exercises. Basically I'm wondering if I should stop training all together until the injury fucks off
or should I keep training all of my other body parts besides delts and chest or keep training chest and delts and just stay away fro the painful movements? I've had this injury for awhile now but have been able to push through it until now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

naturalguy
08-16-12, 12:46 pm
Train but use pain as your guide, if it hurts don't do it. Don't try to push through it as you can make it worse.

However you need to get it diagnosed or else you are just guessing at what it is, if you find out what the exact injury then you can fix it/rehab it. Shoulder injuries can linger on and be a pain if you don't get them fixed.

Tbrat
08-16-12, 3:30 pm
I'm having a fair amount of pain in my delt when I shoulder press and incline bench, I'm assuming its my rotator cuff based on where the pain is
and the movements that cause the pain. But it only hurts when I do these exercises. Basically I'm wondering if I should stop training all together until the injury fucks off
or should I keep training all of my other body parts besides delts and chest or keep training chest and delts and just stay away fro the painful movements? I've had this injury for awhile now but have been able to push through it until now.

I had an injury very similar to this about 6 months ago. Does it feel like someone is driving a steak through your shoulder when you're pressing over your head? What I did was made sure before any day I was pressing, and even leg day (since you're reaching back behind your head when squatting) I did a good solid rotator cuff warmup. I used to do it all the time for baseball before throwing, but I noticed Branch Warren doing it in his train insane videos. Zack Khan also does it. If you're consistent with it, and go a bit light (Listen to your pain level) with pressing the pain should subside. 2 weeks of this and I was good to press again and haven't looked back since.

PORTERHOUSE
08-16-12, 5:44 pm
This is one of the most common injuries in this game, I've "delt" with this before myself.

Like stated before, train around it IF you can, but if something hurts, move on. If everything hurts, time off. Don't ruin you're long term goals because you can't stand the thought of not going to the gym. It can be tough, but you gotta see the bigger picture.

Once it calms down, work on strengthening your rotator cuffs slowly. Don't focus on bb movements too much if they are injuring your shoulders, focus more on db movements... rework your form to make sure you are taking your shoulders out of the equation as much as possible on chest moves.

If you fuck it up too bad, you could require physical therapy and/or surgery. I had physical therapy, but avoided the latter, thank god.

Best of luck.

rbowman91
08-16-12, 6:06 pm
I agree with NG on this one. If it hurts, don't do it.

I've had the exact same problem, and it was indeed my rotator cuff. IF that is whats going on, it helps to start doing some rotator cuff strengthening exercises. You can google 'em. Moving heavy weight is not a priority on those. I use them as a warmup before any chest or shoulders workout. It made a huge difference for me. But also, it would be wise to check with a sports-medicine orthopedist. Thats the kind of doc i like to see. Mine lifts weights, so he knows how to give advice that goes beyond saying "stop working out". They'll understand better than a regular doc if they live the lifestyle.

warg
08-17-12, 10:45 am

I suppose no one will agree, but I think you should try chaning your ROM.
My guess is your elbows are going below parallel, which is putting a lot of stress on your chest.
So try to stop your ROM when you are parallel. And another thing, don't start your chest workout with BB movements. John Meadows wrote an intresting article about this on T-Nation, I suggest you read it.

P Diesel
08-17-12, 6:48 pm
u also have to take into account lack of range of motion if any, and any noises, clciking popping etc. that will tell ya what it is and isnt. also if its just incline that tells u sumthin as well. i say train aroudn it ... unless u have it worked on and need to take time away do what u can with minimal pain. i agree with naturalguy, let pain b ur guide. but expect sum, keep it to a minimum. huge difference between pain and injury

P

Rambo Moe
08-19-12, 9:27 am
I had an injury very similar to this about 6 months ago. Does it feel like someone is driving a steak through your shoulder when you're pressing over your head? What I did was made sure before any day I was pressing, and even leg day (since you're reaching back behind your head when squatting) I did a good solid rotator cuff warmup. I used to do it all the time for baseball before throwing, but I noticed Branch Warren doing it in his train insane videos. Zack Khan also does it. If you're consistent with it, and go a bit light (Listen to your pain level) with pressing the pain should subside. 2 weeks of this and I was good to press again and haven't looked back since.

All great advice fellas I appreciate it. But yes it is a stabbing like pain and only when doing overhead presses and incline barbell press. I can get away with dumbells for the incline but cant even use those for shoulder press with out the pain. Either way I'm just going to work around it for another few weeks because staying out of the gym completely is impossible, I'll try doing the rotator cuff warm up I'm sure it cant hurt.