PDA

View Full Version : Working at FedEx and Training

bashk
08-21-12, 9:39 am
I work at FedEx in the hub.. so I'm moving heavy boxes for about 5 hours. Its pretty taxing but I do work at night so I'm not dog tired due to the TX heat. Anyways, how should I approach my training? Right now I'm on a 5-day split and the only thing that really bothers me is doing deads. Most likely because of my job. I also don't do any form of cardio simply because my heart rate stays elevated most of the time I'm at work with short breaks. I just need some input or suggestions.

Big Wides
08-21-12, 10:09 am
I would approach your training in the same manner as you normally would. I've been in your shoes, working construction all day then training after work. I didn't let the physical nature of the job effect how I was going after the weights. One thing though is maybe take it down to 4 days a week and keep your calories high to help with energy levels during training

Tbrat
08-21-12, 11:22 am
Aslong as you keep your calories up you're going to be just fine, you're definitely expending a lot of calories during the day so make sure you're making up those calories (minus some if you're cutting obviously, or add some if you're bulking). The best thing for you is going to be keeping a close eye on your size (take measurements), the scale, and the mirror. It's tough to estimate how many calories you're burning during the day at your job so just trial and error until you find the right amount that is having the desired effect.

mcbeast
08-21-12, 1:30 pm
I too have worked at a Fedex, doing the same exact thing as you. I've also done various forms of construction and now am in the military. There's plenty of times where I am on my feet all day, sometimes doing roadmarches, sometimes combatives, etc. The list goes on. However when I know times are going to be more strenuous I up my intake quite a bit. As suggested above I would cut down your days from 5 to 4. Also smart move and not doing any cardio, I remember the sweat I would work up offloading! One thing no one mentioned yet is recovery. Ensure you are foam rolling, stretching, icing, decompressing. This will help you tons!!

bashk
08-21-12, 3:23 pm
What do you guys think my calorie intake should be? I'm 5'7 and currently at 160 lbs.

World Eater
08-21-12, 3:52 pm
Agree with the others, train as usual. I'm a woodworker and work for a wholesale company unloading trucks and containers all day and training is no big deal. Your back and legs might be a little sore so bending over and walking might give you some trouble but I usually just push through and take it as a pat on the back... Well done, you've worked hard, haha.

Diet-wise I have no idea what you're eating right now but I'd just stick to your current diet and increase intake if you notice progress is getting slower or if you're losing weight/strenght.

MOMENTUM
08-21-12, 8:12 pm
What do you guys think my calorie intake should be? I'm 5'7 and currently at 160 lbs.

Your maintenance level is about 2,600 - 2,700 calories per day. If you're trying to build muscle, you're going to have to create a caloric surplus in between 250 - 500 calories. So, if your goal is building muscle, your answer is 3,100 - 3,200 per day.

This of course relates to an individual who's an office worker - in your case, I'd bump it up to 3,500.

Good luck.

bashk
08-21-12, 11:38 pm
Your maintenance level is about 2,600 - 2,700 calories per day. If you're trying to build muscle, you're going to have to create a caloric surplus in between 250 - 500 calories. So, if your goal is building muscle, your answer is 3,100 - 3,200 per day.

This of course relates to an individual who's an office worker - in your case, I'd bump it up to 3,500.

Good luck.

Thanks bro.

Tbrat
08-22-12, 1:00 pm
Using http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Taking in the fact that you have a physical job and partake in almost daily exercise your maintenance for your size is about 3250 or so. This reassures that if you want to gain eat anywhere between 3500-3800 depending on your goals and how easily or not easily you put on fat.