PDA

View Full Version : DB Pullover... back or chest?

hkusp45
08-23-12, 11:16 pm
Hey guys so many conflicting arguments so I figure I'd turn to you guys... Does the DB pullover work your back or chest or both? thnx

ghost
08-23-12, 11:22 pm
i feel it in my lats and abs the most

Javzilla54
08-24-12, 12:16 am
Hey guys so many conflicting arguments so I figure I'd turn to you guys... Does the DB pullover work your back or chest or both? thnx

The pullover works your lats so it gives the illusion that your chest is expanding. You can feel it in your chest if you squeeze your pectorals at the top of the lift (when it's above your chest) but it's mainly meant to work your lat muscle.

I used to think it was all chest until I did a bit of research on it since my routine called for DB pullovers.

rainman
08-24-12, 8:49 am
I use DB pullovers on my chest day, finding that if I bring the weight past the vertical position I get a better contraction on the lower portion of my chest.

Tiger
08-24-12, 10:16 am
For me, this is all lats. Although I do think it can vary depending on the execution.

TBH, I much prefer using the Pullover machine, or hooking up a straight bar on a high cable and doing them that way. I get a better contraction in my lats that way. Took me a while to get the hang of this exercise too - it used to kill my triceps as much as my lats (if not more).

I'm fairly certain Dorian Yates is a big fan of Pullovers on back days too. Saw a video of him and Ox where they started the session off with Machine Pullovers.

naturalguy
08-24-12, 10:23 am
It's a back movement but you can do it on chest day

Tbrat
08-24-12, 12:15 pm
I can onl even feel DB pullovers or Straight arm PD's in my lats. When I was doing back the day after chest I could feel some soreness in my chest during this exercise meaning it was contracting a little bit. Arnold used DB pullovers on Chest day because he felt it worked to expand his chest cavity to give him a wider chest (Can't remember where I read this, trying to find the source). Also, he believed it worked his serratus.

Tbrat
08-24-12, 12:17 pm
Took me a while to get the hang of this exercise too - it used to kill my triceps as much as my lats (if not more).

One trick I was taught to prevent tricep involvement when doing straight arm PD's is to hold the bar on your wrists instead of in your hands, it makes it a bit tricky at the bottom of the contraction when you're trying to hold the bar there but it definitely helps to just keep the lats working.

JHAMMER
08-26-12, 8:21 am
some guys swear it works your chest other swear it works your back. I feel i in both but I do them to develop my serratus muscles at the end of a chest workout.

braves561
08-26-12, 5:47 pm
lats, chest, serratus

P Diesel
08-26-12, 10:53 pm
Arnold always said chest, that it widened his chest.

I do it on back day, inside lats (serratus). Both cable and DB

P

Brometheus
08-27-12, 8:03 pm
I can onl even feel DB pullovers or Straight arm PD's in my lats. When I was doing back the day after chest I could feel some soreness in my chest during this exercise meaning it was contracting a little bit. Arnold used DB pullovers on Chest day because he felt it worked to expand his chest cavity to give him a wider chest (Can't remember where I read this, trying to find the source). Also, he believed it worked his serratus.

Ya he says in his Bodybuilding Encyclopedia that he did db pullovers to expand his ribcage, giving the illusion of a wider chest. It says it's contorversial wether or not that actually works after a certain age but he believes it does.

hkusp45
08-28-12, 11:41 pm
ok guys ty!

Sprint
08-29-12, 6:48 am
i feel it in my lats and abs the most

Arnold always said chest, that it widened his chest.

I do it on back day, inside lats (serratus). Both cable and DB

P

Both of these for me.