PDA

View Full Version : Recovery efforts

FiremanDan
08-25-12, 6:31 pm
I'm looking for some help on recovery. I'll give an idea of what I'm doing. 5 days a week at 0600 I'm doing PT for my fire dept academy. We do a variety of body weight exercises before doing whatever we are doing for the day whether it's running, circuit weights (on machines), or some job related training. I have a problem with shin splints and shoulder overuse. As of right now my diet is as follows:

Meal 1:
(post PT. i don't eat before. I feel like I'll hurl before)

Sandwich: 1/4 lb turkey, 2-3 apples, 1-2 bananas

meal 2:

25g whey w/ 1/2 cup oats

meal 3:

8 oz chicken, 1 cup rice

meal 4:

sandwich 1/4 lb turkey w/ cheese

meal 5:

25g whey w/ 1/2 cup oats

meal 6:

8 oz steak & sweet potato (nothing added)

After everyday I soak in an epsom salt bath and do foam rolling (w/ pvc) and use a roller to work out adhesions and knots.

I try to avoid NSAIDS because of their effect on the liver. I like MSM a lot but I'm looking for some other ideas.

bashk
08-26-12, 12:14 am
You could try adding in some BCAAs and Glutamine. And maybe do some stretching after P/T and circuit training.

The_Athlete
08-26-12, 1:31 am
Do you include any veggies in your diet?

I would start buying some frozen/fresh veggies and adding them to your main meals. Maybe throw in some healthy fats/1tbsp olive oil or coconut oil to your shakes.

and some yoga.

Or maybe you're under eating. Dunno how tall/big you are.

JasonG
08-26-12, 3:52 am
I'm not a great runner by any means, but suffered with compartment syndrome in my calves. Aside from surgery, I think changing my stride helped. If your heel striking, try doing more of a mid foot strike. Search Youtube "chi running." I started running in vibrams with this type of stride and felt a lot less pain in my calves. Moved on to a cushioned shoe with a minimal heel to toe drop and still feels good in my calves and better on my feet.

FiremanDan
08-26-12, 10:02 am
@ bashk

I take 5g BCAA's and 5g Glutamine post PT in gatorade with a pack of Nitro & Pak. I also take Pump and Stak before lifting. I also drink in the area of 1 to 1.5 gals of water.

@ The_Athlete

I forgot to add with the chicken that I eat either and mixed greens salad with peppers and avocado or some kind of frozen veggie (usually spinach, broccoli, or green beans)

@ JasonG

I have a good pair of running shoes with orthotics and that cut the pain in half. I'm getting some shin sleeves to help out too.

FiremanDan
08-26-12, 12:46 pm
I'm also adding more beef into my diet. about 1/2 lb PWO. Also taking a page out of Ben Rice's book and eating a steak as my last meal before bed. upping the protein and carbs. going to add some fats in there with some peanut butter in my shakes.