PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here workout for "fun"?

braves561
08-26-12, 5:33 pm
I mean to the point where they don't really track their progress or their macros? It'd be nice if I could change my mind frame to be more relaxed and to stop tracking my macros everyday. I wish it was like when I first started lifting weights and all I cared about was going to the gym and getting my protein in. Now, I worry about every little aspect of it. I get mad if I miss my carb intake by 50g or something like that. I measure out every little thing that I eat and I follow a strict workout program. I wish one day I could just drop my thinking and go back to doing what I thought was fun in the gym (i.e. doing a bodysplit with exercises I enjoy doing versus ones that I hate and I haven't made much progess on) and to be able to eat whatever I want, within limits, while still consuming a good amount of protein.

eblnyc
08-26-12, 6:46 pm
I train cause I do enjoy it...it's anger management for me plus I like to be strong I def don't have a specific diet if I want pizza I eat it...I don't plan on being a pro I just enjoy being stronger than most girls my size...if u don't enjoy something u shouldn't do it

Lifting_Is_Life
08-26-12, 7:16 pm
For me, even though I have some rage going into my lifts. Around each set or so, I am laughing, having fun, it's helped me put on more size and strength honestly more than anything. At my age I still don't worry about my diet and such, do I make sure I get around a certain number or carbs or protein? Sure but I will always train with the intent to get the job done and have fun doing it

ThatLittleMonster
08-26-12, 10:48 pm
For me its the same, i train for fun, Bodybuilding just saved my life! i was just talking to my friend and training partner about that. It got me out of a drinking lazy slump for years. I was 5'4 195 of fat! i decided jan,3rd 2012 to get on my game i went back down to 145 which is healthy for 5'4 at 25 years old, now im at 171 because i have right nutrition supplementation and lifting.... Not only that it changed me physically because i just want to be HUGE and never stop until im 250 plus who knows whatever my genetics let me. But my lifestyle changed, i got myself a Ca rear, it changed my way of living, how i act everything! And my friend said if it was not for my lifting he would have never of gotten back in to it and been in the great shape he was. ITS INSPIRING!!!!! one day i hope to do a comp, but if i never do im not sweatin it AT ALL, i got in to it for that, and then it hit me, i did it for the wrong reasons, and it led to the right reasons. Seriously i would have been stuck, until i started lifting weights i have a before picture never took an after because i am still getting bigger. My family and friends say im one of those infomercials but in real life. Universal/Animal and bodybuilding saved my whole life! I now live in my own place, have a good carear, and i inspire others to do the same, im healthy as "OX" (no pun intended), im 5'4 171 solid, my journey is posted here and im gettin to 190 by the end of the year is my goal, it was 180 until i amped my nutrition and supps, and lifting had to set a new goal. Lifting saved my life, made me a better man, i hope to compete 1 time just 1 for fun, but shit if i never do who cares, im a fucking animal and thats good enough for me!

Big Wides
08-27-12, 8:46 am
I train for fun and to be honest have never counted a macro in 14 years of training. Just go out and do what you want to do in the gym and if your making progress then it is working for you. Go after the weights and enjoy it.....

ajoaks
08-27-12, 3:28 pm
in the end I would say that it is the fun I get in lifting that brings me to the gym. There are many days that I have to drag myself there, and halfway through the workout I'm feeling it. But it does give me something to look forward to everyday!

Aggression
08-27-12, 3:40 pm
I remember the early days. I had cereal for breakfast, school lunch (which was probably cheesefries and a snapple), a quick snack after school, gym with friends from school, GNC protein powder in water, and then dinner with the family. No idea what I was doing, but it was effortless in a way. Later on, I tracked macros, had specific workouts, diets, etc. I've since backed off in a big way. I don't count anything, don't really write anything down (except for logging on forums), and love training again. Since I ventured into powerlifting, I feel like I've been renewed. I love it.

In Flames
08-27-12, 7:27 pm
I remember the early days. I had cereal for breakfast, school lunch (which was probably cheesefries and a snapple), a quick snack after school, gym with friends from school, GNC protein powder in water, and then dinner with the family. No idea what I was doing, but it was effortless in a way. Later on, I tracked macros, had specific workouts, diets, etc. I've since backed off in a big way. I don't count anything, don't really write anything down (except for logging on forums), and love training again. Since I ventured into powerlifting, I feel like I've been renewed. I love it.

This is pretty much what I do. I don't count anything, I just workout and eat a some what sensible diet. I eat Lucky Charms, Captain Crunch, Peanut butter sandwiches, Drink Beers daily, etc. I only eat twice a day (intermittent fasting), lunch and dinner only. I never snack between those meals nor do I eat breakfast. But for lunch and dinner I pretty much eat whatever I want but most of the time it's steak and eggs with a bowl of Lucky Charms and maybe a peanut butter sandwich.

I always make sure to get into the gym at least 4-5 times a week though and I surf almost every other day if there's decent waves. This works for me and I'm happy of the way my body looks. I'm not huge in anyway since I love to surf but I could care less. I want to be lean and fit which I am. Everyone has different goals and what they want to achieve with their body.

It might seem crazy but I love it and it works for me.

braves561
08-27-12, 9:09 pm
This is pretty much what I do. I don't count anything, I just workout and eat a some what sensible diet. I eat Lucky Charms, Captain Crunch, Peanut butter sandwiches, Drink Beers daily, etc. I only eat twice a day (intermittent fasting), lunch and dinner only. I never snack between those meals nor do I eat breakfast. But for lunch and dinner I pretty much eat whatever I want but most of the time it's steak and eggs with a bowl of Lucky Charms and maybe a peanut butter sandwich.

I always make sure to get into the gym at least 4-5 times a week though and I surf almost every other day if there's decent waves. This works for me and I'm happy of the way my body looks. I'm not huge in anyway since I love to surf but I could care less. I want to be lean and fit which I am. Everyone has different goals and what they want to achieve with their body.

It might seem crazy but I love it and it works for me.

i did IF for a little bit, but still counted my macros. i thought about just having two huge meals a day and not even counting my macros, but i dont think my mind would let me lol

B.S.
08-27-12, 9:31 pm
if i didnt enjoy it i wouldnt do it. i dont see why you would.

In Flames
08-28-12, 10:24 am
i did IF for a little bit, but still counted my macros. i thought about just having two huge meals a day and not even counting my macros, but i dont think my mind would let me lol

Nice. I've been doing IF for about a year now and personally it feels like the only way to eat haha. Yeah I definitely don't count anything. I just eat until I'm full during lunch and dinner. I try to make the meals reasonable, high in protein and fat, I don't eat fast food, etc. I just love working out for the fun of it and I make sure my workouts are intense. Supersets, tri-sets, giant sets, etc. Today I'm doing "Back" and this is what I feel like doing today, 10x5 Weighted Chin-ups and 10x5 Dead-lifts and that's it.

Good luck with everything.

Aggression
08-28-12, 10:30 am
if i didnt enjoy it i wouldnt do it. i dont see why you would.

Agreed. Whether I'm in offseason, precontest, bodybuilding, powerlifting, or crossfit, I'm doing it b/c I enjoy it. The day where I'm not looking forward to working out is the day I take a break for a few day/week to recharge. If its not fun/enjoyable, you shouldn't be doing it.

braves561
08-28-12, 12:14 pm
Agreed. Whether I'm in offseason, precontest, bodybuilding, powerlifting, or crossfit, I'm doing it b/c I enjoy it. The day where I'm not looking forward to working out is the day I take a break for a few day/week to recharge. If its not fun/enjoyable, you shouldn't be doing it.

yeah i think im just in a rut. i changed my split around today and had a great workout

rbowman91
08-28-12, 1:50 pm
I live this lifestyle because i genuienley enjoy it, even with all the macros and meal prep etc etc.

SoChillBro
08-30-12, 3:56 pm
I just moved back into school (same college The House went to) I don't track my macros I do make sure I get enough protein everyday but thats about the extent of it. I love training it's the highlight of every day. As soon as I walk into the gym I feel at home this has been my passion the past few years and I want to make Bodybuilding one of the biggest things in my life. Even though I know I'll never qualify for an IFBB pro card or trade poses with an Olympia I'm never going to stop chasing them because this is what I love most.

I discovered that this was the life for me 2 years ago when I lost my little brother (15). No one can ever duplicate the pain me and my family went through during that time I can still feel it looking back while I'm typing this, but less than 24 hours later I was back in the gym releasing all the anger, confusion, sadness, depression just all the feelings I was being crushed by was getting taken out on the iron. I wasn't pushing shit in terms of weight but I knew it was where I had to be at that point in time, and that's when I realized that this is the lifestyle for me. They say you find out what kind of person you are when you are being tested the most...I've been tested and I'm an Animal.

FunkyBadger
10-01-12, 10:12 am
its the best stress relief, especially during exams
nothing is better the feeling of a good hard work out and just having a pleasant walk home
keeps the mind fresh and clear

Mike Johnson
10-02-12, 4:30 pm
I love training, I love the sacrifices I have to make to reach my goals because when I reach them I can look back and know I earned it!

Sure there are shitty times but having that inner fire or intestinal fortitude to push through is what makes champions and There is nothing more fun than being the best at what you love to do.

DEADn
10-02-12, 5:54 pm
Weightlifting is one of my hobbies. I don't compete and if I did I know I would have to find a powerlifting group to train with. No way would I do bodybuilding.

I don't track my nutrition as far as nickel and diming it to death. I just have to make sure I don't overeat especially since I have a sedimentary job. my metabolism doesn't get boosted very much so what I eat can stay with me for a long period of time so I am choosy in what I eat.

I do track my progress though because I want to make sure that my hobby is doing something for me rather than it just being there. I want to grow from it and in this case I train for strength with mass on the flip side of it. Strength comes first. I have found with my body training for mass is the same as blowing up a balloon to make it big but there is no substance there and when not used for a few days shows it deflation. Thus for me I have gone to strength training ala the 5/3/1 method.

P Diesel
10-04-12, 9:04 pm
i love what i do

P

SailinScotty
10-05-12, 9:42 am
I do it for fun. If I didn't enjoy it I would not be doing it.