PDA

View Full Version : Need a three day split while preparing for SFAS

swoleberry
08-27-12, 2:08 am
Hey brothers, currently training for a slot for Special Forces Selection and Assessment. However I still want to perform a bodybuilding routine, any ideas for a good 3 day split that goes chest shoulders tris......back and bis.....legs. thanks brothers God Bless

mcbeast
08-27-12, 3:25 am
I have a good friend who is SF, best of luck. How long til you attend selection? If this is something you really want, I would ditch any type of bodybuilding split. Start doing long ruck marches and make them progressively more difficult (terrain, weight, etc). Get in your sprints & long runs. Get in the pool a few times a week. Hop on the rower. For more conditioning try some sledgehammer work, tire flips, farmers walks. If you have a training partner or someone who just wants to help, do buddy drags, fireman carries etc. As for lifting, stick with multi joint exercises. Squatting, deadlifting, Overhead pressing. Chances are by the time you get to doing these movements in your program your energy levels will be low. Watch your form and know when to call it quits in the weightroom. Remember, a lot of selection is going to be mental & morally based.. Its not about being the strongest, the best rucker, etc. This is just the "pt" part of it, I'm sure you know what to do for the rest. Get in touch with the_athlete or korinek00 on here they may have some good advice as well.

Moodyanimo
08-27-12, 3:34 am
*assuming you're going straight for 18x*

I applied for 18x a few years back.. Unfortunately, I injured my knees while preparing for bootcamp.

I spoke with an SF Lt.Col and he gave me the run through about what they're all about and gave me great advice. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of "Get Selected for Special Forces", has great tips and learning tools in there that will aid you for SFAS. I'm not quite sure if a bodybuilding routine will be the greatest of ideas though. The lack of food, sleep and PLENTY of running will make you lose plenty of mass. I'd probably opt for strength/endurance routines. Also, if you haven't already, look up the quiet professionals forums. Great stuff in there as well.

But then again, I haven't gone to SFAS or anything so, my input is probably invalid. But the Col. did tell me something that has always stuck with me: "It's all about the thing between your ears. If we can make a 40 year old man into an SF soldier, anyone can do it."

The_Athlete
08-27-12, 5:02 am
Get comfortable with a 50 lb ruck, minimum speed standards are 4mph (15:00 mile), shoot for 12:00 to 10:00 min miles for up to 10 miles. If you can't run a 270 APFT, I'm not sure what to tell you. Prep for runs up to 6 miles at a minimum pace of 7:30. Do all the land nav you can.

swoleberry
08-27-12, 10:12 am
My slot if it goes through will not be til spring, i've been rucking and can score a 300 apft, but it is hard for me to ditch a bodybuilding routine all together ya know? Anyways thanks for the help you guys and keep the advice coming.

mcbeast
08-27-12, 2:21 pm
My slot if it goes through will not be til spring, i've been rucking and can score a 300 apft, but it is hard for me to ditch a bodybuilding routine all together ya know? Anyways thanks for the help you guys and keep the advice coming.
Priorities..

Are you going to step on stage, or are you going to try & be a part of Americas finest fighting force? Cannot have both brother, at least not for now. Ditch the curls & pressdowns and condition your body for SFAS, so when the time comes you are well prepared.

Moodyanimo
08-27-12, 4:16 pm
Priorities..

Are you going to step on stage, or are you going to try & be a part of Americas finest fighting force? Cannot have both brother, at least not for now. Ditch the curls & pressdowns and condition your body for SFAS, so when the time comes you are well prepared.

This.

swoleberry
08-27-12, 11:50 pm
Priorities..

Sounds good brother, hopefully this young infantryman will make his journey to the green berets in the near future. God Bless.