PDA

View Full Version : increase back squat

RageKage
08-30-12, 6:19 pm
I have not been able to do back squat due to the gym that I was at. But now I am at a different Gym and able to once again do back squats. I can leg press 705lbs at 3 sets of 10, but I really don't know where to even start with back squatting. Its been about 3 years since I have really done them. I have missed them but really want to push my legs with a back squat. Thanks guys

mcbeast
08-30-12, 8:03 pm
Go to youtube and search "So you think you can squat" Watch the entire series. Apply. Watch again. Apply. Problem solved.

RageKage
08-30-12, 9:56 pm
Go to youtube and search "So you think you can squat" Watch the entire series. Apply. Watch again. Apply. Problem solved.

AMAZING series! thanks a lot bro!

C.Coronato
08-31-12, 10:17 am
I would throw 135 under the bar and see how you can handle it. You might be strong enough, but 3 years out of the squat, you will need to find that form and proper mechanics again.

scouse
09-02-12, 10:15 am
Whats your workout ?
Maybe you could just add in 2 squat sessions a week,3x5 increase the weight by 2.5kg each time you squat.
maybe try one of these workouts

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/

Jktueme
09-02-12, 12:48 pm
I have not been able to do back squat due to the gym that I was at. But now I am at a different Gym and able to once again do back squats. I can leg press 705lbs at 3 sets of 10, but I really don't know where to even start with back squatting. Its been about 3 years since I have really done them. I have missed them but really want to push my legs with a back squat. Thanks guys

I second C.Coronato, start with 135, get your form straight then see how much you can take. The way I know when to add weight is if I can do 10 reps I add enough weight so I can get 5-7 reps. I know others add 5lbs intervals but I add 25 -45 lbs until I'm confident of hitting 5-8 reps. Once I hit those reps I stick with those reps until about two weeks. Hope this helps.