PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Injury outta tire flips

Average Joe
09-05-12, 9:08 pm
First off, hi everyone, dont really post frequently on here so im not sure how many people will end up seeing this. Just fyi, im a competitive swimmer and lift about 4 times a week. I was considering putting a "circuit" in at the end of a leg day workout. So this circuit would be AFTER front squat, deads, leg curl, split squat, ect...
On to the main point, for the start of each round of the circuit i would like to put in tire flips for that triple extension, however I know that the controversy with tire flips is that they put stress on the lower back ( just trying to grip the tire leads to rounding your back) HOWEVER i have this idea of either drilling some handles in the tread of the tire, drilling holes and putting in rope for a grip, or maybe cutting out grips in the middle of the tread of the tire so that you could really keep your back in a good posture at the start of the lift.
Does anyone have any experience for anything like this? any advice on the best way to do this would be great. Iv searched everywhere and found nothing

Hollow
09-07-12, 10:42 am
I would hit up Higa or P Diesel with that question.

BigChrisF
09-09-12, 2:30 am
I've never thought of putting handles on a tire, because working it as an event makes gripping the thing part of it. I'm not sure why gripping it without handles would necessitate rounding your lower back. If it is happening to you, I don't think handles will fix that. The solution to that could lie in technique, flexibility, or your low back just isn't strong enough yet for the tire you have.

Since you aren't training this as an event, I see no reason why not to put handles on the tread if you want to. I would just drill holes through the tread and put eye bolts through. You can then link them with rope or chains to hold on to.

Average Joe
09-09-12, 10:22 pm
Decided to drill holes in the tread and weave a chain in and out, it worked great. Thanks for the chain idea. Maybe its because the tire I have is relatively light, but iv kinda been using a dead lift motion rather than the driving with the shoulders into the tire. I feel like the extension from it will really help getting off the turns during a race.

P Diesel
09-16-12, 11:47 pm
u coudl go that route with altering the tire itself. ive seen lots of ppl do the same for convenience. as far as using a tire 'as is' , since u wont b able toa lter every tire u come across. i understand where u are comign from as far as a rounded back. first, when gripping the tire make sure ur chest is high and ur ass in low. ur chest and face may actually be against the tire if u are in the correct position depending on the size of the tire. second, lean into the weight of the tire as u lift. u may have to set ur feet further away from the tire to create leverage. good choice with the tire in my opinion. for any athlete it will create explosiveness u cannot mimic with another movement.

P

HIGA MONSTER
09-17-12, 5:58 pm
u coudl go that route with altering the tire itself. ive seen lots of ppl do the same for convenience. as far as using a tire 'as is' , since u wont b able toa lter every tire u come across. i understand where u are comign from as far as a rounded back. first, when gripping the tire make sure ur chest is high and ur ass in low. ur chest and face may actually be against the tire if u are in the correct position depending on the size of the tire. second, lean into the weight of the tire as u lift. u may have to set ur feet further away from the tire to create leverage. good choice with the tire in my opinion. for any athlete it will create explosiveness u cannot mimic with another movement.

P
Can somebody PLEASE buy P Diesel some lessons on spelling & grammar?

Or Spell-Check?

The public school system of Philadelphia is failing...it pains me to see my brother type like this...

LMAO

P Diesel
09-18-12, 2:34 pm
Can somebody PLEASE buy P Diesel some lessons on spelling & grammar?

Or Spell-Check?

The public school system of Philadelphia is failing...it pains me to see my brother type like this...

LMAO

Ufa ... is that grammatically correct? :)

P

HIGA MONSTER
09-19-12, 1:19 am
Ufa ... is that grammatically correct? :)

P
Haha! Good one.

Touche' my brotha. "Ufa" to da fullest!

HIGA MONSTER

P Diesel
09-23-12, 8:56 pm
Haha! Good one.

Touche' my brotha. "Ufa" to da fullest!

HIGA MONSTER

hahahaha indeed bro

P

P Diesel
12-06-12, 10:37 am
http://youtu.be/FyuYD2LBD4Y

throwback, 2007

P

Kowboy
12-06-12, 11:45 am
Steve Slater pretty much taught me what P Diesel said. My biceps were always sore after doing them. Do not think of the tire as a deadlift. You grip the tire and hold on using your arms as handles, do not lift the tire w/ your arm. It is a great way to tear your biceps. Then follow what P said. When I do it my face and chest are up on the tire. Feet back and push the tire w/ your feet and your body will move the tire up, keep using your feet and when it gets high enough push it over. I know Higa uses a forearm sometimes to help do that. This saved me from tearing something.