PDA

View Full Version : Chicken in Crockpot/Slow cooker

Aggression
09-06-12, 9:24 am
I have some chicken breast and I have some chicken broth. Was thinking about throwing both into my crockpot for a different twist on cooking chicken. I've been grilling chicken every week for the past 4-5yrs of my life and I've baked it maybe 4-5 times during that span. Looking for something different. Has anyone done this? What else do you add? How long do you cook it for? Dice up the chicken or put the breast in there, whole? Looking for different tactics. I know Seath308 does this, so I'll have to reach out to him as well.

kcburrows
09-06-12, 9:50 am
I have some chicken breast and I have some chicken broth. Was thinking about throwing both into my crockpot for a different twist on cooking chicken. I've been grilling chicken every week for the past 4-5yrs of my life and I've baked it maybe 4-5 times during that span. Looking for something different. Has anyone done this? What else do you add? How long do you cook it for? Dice up the chicken or put the breast in there, whole? Looking for different tactics. I know Seath308 does this, so I'll have to reach out to him as well.

Hey Aggs, I know Nick Trigili cooks his this way. With him he gets the frozen chicken breasts from costco and puts em in frozen and fills the crockpot up with water, although i am willing to bet your chicken broth would taste a hell of a lot better. i've done my beef in there but never chicken. i bet it would turn out good. Put it in right before bed and first thing am its done!

Hollow
09-06-12, 9:51 am
The Crockpot has to be one of the best investments we've made for our kitchen! Generally when we do the chicken in it, we leave the breasts whole. My wife makes her own sauce which is a creamy style sauce. She generally starts the Crockpot off on high for approximately 30 minutes then drops it down to a low heat setting and leaves it anywhere from 8 - 9 hours.

mritter3
09-06-12, 12:49 pm
mmmm...now im hungry for some crock pot chicken breasts...chicken broth would be nice touch.

smoothballer
09-06-12, 1:04 pm
My bro has some recipe for buffalo chicken in the crock pot. Will have to find out what it is and get it up here.

Aggression
09-06-12, 1:04 pm
My bro has some recipe for buffalo chicken in the crock pot. Will have to find out what it is and get it up here.

YES

smoothballer
09-06-12, 1:07 pm
YES

Been wanting to try it myself...
I love me some buffalo chicken...

Nix0r
09-06-12, 1:24 pm

Post. It. Now.

smoothballer
09-06-12, 1:28 pm
Post. It. Now.

I informed him that the masses want it and he needs to post it up here ASAP

Big Wides
09-06-12, 1:29 pm
I've done this in a crock pot with chicken:

1 cup Franks Hot Sauce
1/4 cup canolia oil
Chili Powder

Put the crock pot on like 6 hour cook time, afterwards I put it over rice, letteuce, on a roll, with white bread.....

freighttraindane
09-06-12, 1:39 pm
Buffalo Chicken - its really simple and really tasty. i make about once every 2 weeks and used the left over in all kinds of stuff like on a salad, shredded up in some pasta alfredo to make buffalo chicken alfredo (my favorite, my gf had this great idea!)

6 piece of frozen chicken (if you are using non-frozen chicken it just takes less time)
3/4 packet of ranch dressing powder mix
1 bottle of your favorite hot sauce (i typically use 1 bottle of Franks and then add a blend of others like Chalula and varying levels of heat from there, i like to add some habenero to kick it up, lets face it we all have a blend of hot sauces in our fridge, just mix it up to your favorite taste)
2 tablespoons of butter

Put it all in the crockpot at one time on Low and let it cook for 6-7 hours.
Stir occassionally to mix up the ranch, hot sauce and butter.

Take it out and eat with whatever you want. Like i said before, on a salad, over rice, just as is with some veggies, or mix it into some pasta. Whatever suits you taste of the day!

smoothballer
09-06-12, 1:45 pm
Buffalo Chicken - its really simple and really tasty. i make about once every 2 weeks and used the left over in all kinds of stuff like on a salad, shredded up in some pasta alfredo to make buffalo chicken alfredo (my favorite, my gf had this great idea!)

6 piece of frozen chicken (if you are using non-frozen chicken it just takes less time)
3/4 packet of ranch dressing powder mix
1 bottle of your favorite hot sauce (i typically use 1 bottle of Franks and then add a blend of others like Chalula and varying levels of heat from there, i like to add some habenero to kick it up, lets face it we all have a blend of hot sauces in our fridge, just mix it up to your favorite taste)
2 tablespoons of butter

Put it all in the crockpot at one time on Low and let it cook for 6-7 hours.
Stir occassionally to mix up the ranch, hot sauce and butter.

Take it out and eat with whatever you want. Like i said before, on a salad, over rice, just as is with some veggies, or mix it into some pasta. Whatever suits you taste of the day!

There ya go^^^

Sounds tasty

Aggression
09-06-12, 1:47 pm
I literally just took a picture of that post from my phone. I will do this tonight. Damn. Does it have to be a packet of powdered ranch dressing? I never even knew they had such a thing, haha.

Aggression
09-06-12, 1:49 pm
Found a few of Ben Seath's recipes

http://youtu.be/rh4-AGQA6AA

Aggression
09-06-12, 1:49 pm
http://youtu.be/PfY4O8f7x4E

freighttraindane
09-06-12, 1:50 pm
I literally just took a picture of that post from my phone. I will do this tonight. Damn. Does it have to be a packet of powdered ranch dressing? I never even knew they had such a thing, haha.

I guess it wouldn't have to be, that's just how I make it. I stock up on those ranch packets cause I will also mix them in ground hamburger to make ranch burgers for the grill.

smoothballer
09-06-12, 1:53 pm

Probably healthier than ranch dressing lol

freighttraindane
09-06-12, 1:56 pm

if you don't have the packet, i would not put actual ranch dressing in there, not sure how that would be. I would probably just use a blend of dry spices instead

C.Coronato
09-06-12, 3:06 pm
Solid thread. Some good ideas in here, interested to see how that buff chicken comes out!

RedlegDbell
09-06-12, 3:14 pm

I've done this one a handfull of times. It's pretty awesome. I cook it during the weekend so I can stir it a few times over 6.5-7 hours. Really looking forward to trying the other one still.

Christman
09-06-12, 8:39 pm
Making me hungry, I will be doing the buffalo and Ben Seath's recipes as well soon.

deanna7272
09-06-12, 9:00 pm
Ohhhh, definitely have to try the buffalo recipe... I usually just throw a bunch of breasts (frozen or thawed), a couple cups of water, and a load of spices... Nothing in particular just whatever I happen to grab out of the spice cabinet first...lol. It's so convenient and if you're anything like me, the texture of the chicken gets to me sometimes... In the slow cooker, it falls apart!!!

Aggression
09-07-12, 8:41 am
So last night I did the following:

2 london broils
1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce
1 bottle of Sam Adam's Boston Lager
added enough water to cover the meat

Cooked it for 6hrs on low. Got 2 meals of that for work today. Let's see what happens. Smells good ....

Hollow
09-07-12, 9:05 am
... Smells good ....

But the taste, how does it taste? Inquiring minds want to know!

Aggression
09-07-12, 9:06 am

I'll let ya know around noon!

Big Joe
09-07-12, 10:38 am
Damn this thread makes me hungry...I gotta go find a crock pot this weekend! lol

Aggression
09-07-12, 12:02 pm

Eating it as we speak. You can definitely taste/smell the beer aroma. Good thing too, b/c I thought about adding another beer considering it was a twin pack of london broil. To change it, I probably would have used the entire bottle of BBQ sauce instead of half. Its definitely more tender and tastier now. Damn, love it. I fuckin' hate london broil on the grill. Always tough and dry. But in the crock with beer and bbq ... win.

Hollow
09-07-12, 12:22 pm
Eating it as we speak. You can definitely taste/smell the beer aroma. Good thing too, b/c I thought about adding another beer considering it was a twin pack of london broil. To change it, I probably would have used the entire bottle of BBQ sauce instead of half. Its definitely more tender and tastier now. Damn, love it. I fuckin' hate london broil on the grill. Always tough and dry. But in the crock with beer and bbq ... win.

Sweet! It'll be going on the menu this weekend. Thanks for the feed back Aggression and enjoy!

Aggression
09-10-12, 10:28 am
Well, this whole crock pot experience has been a major fucking disaster up to this point.

Thursday night: As mentioned, I threw some london broil in the crock with a beer, bbq sauce, and some water. In the end, it was OK. But london broil still sucks. After this attempt, I will never buy that cut again. I'll spend a bit more and be able to enjoy it.

Friday night: I wanted to make some buffalo chicken, as per FTDs recipe, above. So I put 6 pieces of thawed chicken in the crock and followed the remaining directions. I turn the crock pot on, set it for 6hrs and go about my business (i have the crock with a display time and automatic shutoff). I come back into the kitchen a few minutes later and the display light is off and the crock isn't running. So I turn it on again, set it to 6hrs and watch the timer. Before it clicks down to 5:59, it turns off again. Huh? This shit is brand new. I've only used the crock maybe 10 times. So I hit up my trusty friend 'Google' and search for help. One post recommends adding more liquid, saying that sometimes if there's not enough liquid, the internal temp gets too high, too quick, and it automatically turns off as a safety precaution. So I add some water. Same result. I add some more water, beyond frustrated at this point. Same result. Now there's an extra 40oz of water in this crock. Fuck it. I left the pot in the fridge to keep the chicken fresh and figured I'd try again in the morning. Nope. Same result. Now its around 10am. I have to leave for a wedding around 4. Barely enough time. My girl runs to her parent's house about 2miles away and borrows her mothers. I transfer everything in there and turn it on. Its now working. But .. there's that 40oz of water extra. So it finishes around 4pm, just as I need to leave for the wedding. Now the pot is hot as hell, so I can't put it right in the fridge. I have my parents stop by the house later that night and fridge it up. I had a serving of it last night. Not too bad. But it would have been 100x better if it didn't have that excess water.

Sunday night: Still wanting redemption, I attempted to use it again. Using her mother's crock still, I purchased 3 packages of beef, already cut/cubed for stew purposes. Threw it in the crock, added 1 beer, almost a full bottle of bbq and maybe 1c water. Set that shit for 6hrs and it went smoothly. Haven't tried it yet. I'll have it for lunch the next few days, but it LOOKS to be the best yet.

In the end, it turned out my original crock just ate shit and broke. So I'll be getting a new one and hopefully it'll work out better. I still need to redeem my buffalo chicken. This week .....

Ox
09-11-12, 8:35 pm
There's really no two ways about it; London Broil sucks. Flank steak could be its twin brother(in terms of shoe-leatheryness) in my opinion.

Ox
09-11-12, 8:36 pm
By the way, this story sounds like a real crock of shit.

G Diesel
09-11-12, 9:50 pm
Made a crock pot full of chili on Sunday. Was epic.

Advice from a london broil vet: marinate for 24 hrs before cooking, cook it rare (pinkish red in the center at the most well done) and cut that fucker thin. Make a good au jus gravy from the drippings and spike it with worcestershire sauce. Ya welcome.

Peace, G

Madcat
09-12-12, 9:17 am
By the way, this story sounds like a real crock of shit.

Evan's always got jokes!

I crockpot through the winter, almost everything. One of the best is Italian Beef, super easy and cheap as Kroger has BOGO on potroast all the time. Here goes; 2 pcs of potroast beef, of 1 big one, 1 packet dry italian salad dressing mix, pepperchinos or jalapenos or whatever(I uses jalapenos), 1-2 canned or fresh tomatoes(diced, cubed, whateveR), carrots, red potatos, and then I add my own seasonings becasue I like things spicy I use cayanne or some chili. Add water to cover the mixture(You will drain most later)

I do NOT like those "fancy" crock pots, they never worked for my mom and we just have 3 temp ones now, high, low, warm. Put it on high for like 2 hrs, then low for like 6-8. In my case I make this sundays and let it go all night, but most likely will move it to Saturday this year. The house will smell amazing, if you have a dog, put the crockpot WAY up on the counter, trust me.

Little tip, after cooking, I usually use a pasta or veggie picker/strainer thing from BBB, for getting stuff out of boiling water. I always add a little broth to each, but in the end, I get a TON of meals.

For the Buffalo Chicken, I've done that too a few times, never thought of butter, but i bet that will make a good flavor improvement. I do add SOME water, but not much.

I also make Chili all the time like this, I use ground turkey, however I just found out Kroger has ground CHICKEN now, cheaper and leaner than Turkey! Also its all natural and free range/no hormones, etc. But here is that, 2 cans kidney beans, 2 cans chili beans, 1 packet of cooked ground meat(I season this with taco seasoning), then I add habaneros that I dice up, and add some other random seasonings. DO NOT drain the cans, maybe drain 1-2 of them, but put the rest of the cans in whole for the liquid. You could add potatos to that if you wanted I guess.

A little tip, DONT try to break these down and throw them in the fridge right away because they are too hot and can crack the fridge shelves, ask how I know? Also, if you try to force the top onto the tupperware or glass container, it can pop off and stuff can go flying and burn your arm really bad, also learned that one.

I had a cookbook or 2 of these they were 5 and below ingrediants. Someone just made spaghetti in it and ws SLAMMING.

Aggression
09-12-12, 9:28 am
Update

So I had that cubed stew meat for lunch yesterday. Amazing. I put about 5oz in a low carb wrap and threw some blue cheese dressing on it and it was gone in seconds. The remaining 3-4oz I ate plain. Didn't even need any condiments. 100% turnaround from my original route with London Broil.

Last night I had some time so I threw in 3 packages of boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Added some Buffalo Wing sauce marinade, butter, ranch dressing mix, and cooked it for 6hrs. I bought/replaced my other one; same exact model. No issues. Being that it was an 'automatic off' feature, I set it on at 8pm and during the middle of the night, it finished and turned off. By the time I woke up and checked it, the pot was cooled down enough to put into the fridge. Looking to make more buffalo chicken wraps tomorrow and redeem myself.

Hollow
09-12-12, 10:18 am
Update

So I had that cubed stew meat for lunch yesterday. Amazing. I put about 5oz in a low carb wrap and threw some blue cheese dressing on it and it was gone in seconds. The remaining 3-4oz I ate plain. Didn't even need any condiments. 100% turnaround from my original route with London Broil.

Last night I had some time so I threw in 3 packages of boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Added some Buffalo Wing sauce marinade, butter, ranch dressing mix, and cooked it for 6hrs. I bought/replaced my other one; same exact model. No issues. Being that it was an 'automatic off' feature, I set it on at 8pm and during the middle of the night, it finished and turned off. By the time I woke up and checked it, the pot was cooled down enough to put into the fridge. Looking to make more buffalo chicken wraps tomorrow and redeem myself.

Looks like you're on a roll now Aggression!

Christman
09-13-12, 4:05 pm
I made the buffalo chicken in the crockpot last night, turned out great and was one of the easiest and tastiest things I have ever made. I modified the recipe a little so it wasn't overpowering for the amount of chicken I used.

3lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 bottle Frank's Xtra Hot
2 tsp butter
1/2 packet of ranch dressing powder
cayenne pepper
salt/pepper
water

Started this at 9pm last night. Mixed everything but the chicken in hot tap water to dissolve it. Added the chicken and a little more water to make sure it was all covered. Put it on high for 2 hours and then on low for the remainder of the night. I woke up at 5am to take a leak and the whole house smelled fantastic, so I turned off the crockpot and let it cool until I woke up at 7am. Had some for lunch with some whole wheat noodles and it was delicious.

Aggression
09-13-12, 4:19 pm
UpdateLast night I had some time so I threw in 3 packages of boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Added some Buffalo Wing sauce marinade, butter, ranch dressing mix, and cooked it for 6hrs. I bought/replaced my other one; same exact model. No issues. Being that it was an 'automatic off' feature, I set it on at 8pm and during the middle of the night, it finished and turned off. By the time I woke up and checked it, the pot was cooled down enough to put into the fridge. Looking to make more buffalo chicken wraps tomorrow and redeem myself.

This shit is bomb. Love it.

G Diesel
09-17-12, 12:30 pm
Made a chicken stew in the crock pot this weekend, after ground beef chili last week.

I used like 5 red potatoes diced, 4 carrots diced, 1/2 a white onion, 32 oz of chicken stock, fresh herbs, Goya sazon seasoning, 1 lb of chicken thighs, 1 lb of boneless chicken breast tenderloins.

I cooked it on high for like 3 hours. Then on low for another 4. Eating it on a bed of jasmine rice. Should get at least 5 meals out of it. Bad ass.

Peace, G

TufffGuY
09-17-12, 1:37 pm
Made a chicken stew in the crock pot this weekend, after ground beef chili last week.

I used like 5 red potatoes diced, 4 carrots diced, 1/2 a white onion, 32 oz of chicken stock, fresh herbs, Goya sazon seasoning, 1 lb of chicken thighs, 1 lb of boneless chicken breast tenderloins.

I cooked it on high for like 3 hours. Then on low for another 4. Eating it on a bed of jasmine rice. Should get at least 5 meals out of it. Bad ass.

Peace, G

Damn that sounds good, need to invest in a crock pot. Haven't had one since I moved out of the rents house.

Adrenaline
09-22-12, 6:52 pm
good fucking recipes up in this thread!

i bought a cheap crock-pot from Target and it's been churning out some nice meals. The last 2x I used it I did this recipe-

2-3 lbs petite sirloin steak
bag of carrots
bag of celery
pack of dry onion soup mix
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup beef broth

my directions-
lightly flour each steak but hit it hard with salt and pepper
slice em up into chunks slightly smaller than a fist
layer the bottom of the slow cooker and add the 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
add the packet of dry onion soup mix
layer the top with carrots and celery
pour 1 1/2 cups beef broth into the concoction
cook on LOW for 8 hours and no need to fuck with it during this time ;-)

If you put this slop on a bed of rice you got yoself a few meals.

-Zack

Enforcer
09-23-12, 12:05 pm

Fuckin love Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce. I just got a crock pot, def will have to give this a shot

Ninja
01-13-13, 6:28 am
hey bro gicve this a shot....i just trim up the breasts and layer them in the crock pot smothered in salsa layer upon layer and let it cook for eight hrs (usually overnight). ive done it doing the same thing but with bbq sauce which aint bad either but im a salsa fiend. if ya do it right you cant even pick up the breast without it being so tender it falls apart when you pick it up...comes out really tender almost like a rotisserie chocken youd get at price chopper or something